Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Raxivace posted:

Wait, is NieR: Automata not in Platinum's typical gameplay style?

Knowing Platinum was involved was what made me decide to skip out on that entire series since I don't like how their games play, but if it doesn't play like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising etc. then I might go back and check it out after I'm done with Persona 5.

It doesn't play like those games at all. It plays like Nier 1 but more polished.

e: there is a demo on the ps4 if you have one. Try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

corn in the bible posted:

Ninja Gaiden Black is better than any Platinum game ever made

Maybe if the camera wasn't poo poo and if the game didn't love to throw ranged enemies at you. Or that might've been 2. Or both of them idk.

Phantasium posted:

They can become more similar if Platinum makes a Castlevania... please?

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

NGB is too defence focused, blocking is for wusses.

:hfive:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ometeotl posted:

I still haven't gotten to a boss yet and I've already dealt with annoying enemies that spawn in from all directions, scripted falls that kill me anyway, multiple "run between cover or die" sections.

There are even more of those sections later :suicide:

The dlc had 2 decent bosses but the rest of the content was boring or just annoying bullshit.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

glam rock hamhock posted:

On the one hand Nier Automata, while better in many ways, just can't live up to the original, if only because it has a far less interesting (though still quite good) story to tell.

On the other hand, that true ending was something else.

:agreed:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Here is hoping it's better than the previous game.

e: vvv This guy gets it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Oh, I've only ever heard criticisms of the story. I can tolerate a game with bad story and interesting gameplay but if the gameplay sucks too I'll just skip it

The gameplay is definitely bad. Not nearly as bad as the story but it's not worth playing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I think the bigger news story would be that people still wanted that thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I like Blood Omen: Citizen of Kain.

:yeah:

Roseblood

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

To my tiny brain, this makes the most sense if they are planning to release the entire library of the NES Classic on the switch. As like a bundle.

Good one. This is Nintendo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just saw this. Speaking of Gearbox.... Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is really good. It's not exactly "modern-times" but it basically feels like commanding a Carrier Battle Group, which is a real thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1yrFE9FfrA

Hell yea that game was good.

Then I foolishly went back and tried to replay Homeworld 1 and 2. They did not age well at all. Especially with all their lovely missions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

how did the gearbox led remasters of homeworld 1 and 2 turn out?

i ask because i own them but when i installed them the game would just crash on startup every single time so i gave up

They cleaned up the textures and unified the UI for 1 and 2 so you can do stuff like pick formations in 1 that you couldn't do before. No other changes beyond that, including leaving in some legacy bugs like being unable to progress a mission if you save all 6 of the cryo pods lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mordja posted:

Not entirely true. SInce they basically ported HW1 to a modernized version of the HW2 engine, it screwed up a lot of the balance and mechanics for the first game. For example, HW1 simulates all of its shots while HW2 just uses a bunch of dice rolls. To their credit, however, they then went and released one last major patch that I think fixed all of that stuff.

E: And "cleaning up the textures" doesn't give them enough credit, since they completely remodeled and retextured everything, for HW1, at least. Say what you will about Gearbox, but it was a legitimate, graphical remake instead of just an HD upres.

Good stuff. I had no idea they redid a bunch of models for the remasters.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kids these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GUI posted:

Singularity went through a Bioshock Infinite-esque development hell where plenty of the developmental changes are available online for everyone to see. Less than a year before the game's release there were previews with entire areas, weapons, characters, third person cutscenes and a voiced main character which never made it into the finished game.

That's impressive considering that Singularity was already pretty good.

• Locked thread