Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The season already started, but I think it's fair to launch a thread in honor of a good TV show coming back for the spring! CBS has brought back The Amazing Race for season 29, airing on Thursdays @ 10PM EST.

They switched things up this season by bringing in 22 complete strangers and pairing them off in the first episode. I will avoid posting the spoilers of who ends up with who, even though it's all done before the intro.

With that being said, here is the cast, shamelessly ripped off of CBS. Maybe next week I will pair them up into their actual teams, but for now it's all individuals!

The Amazing Race Season 29 Cast

Shamir Arzeno
Hometown: Bronx, N.Y.
Current occupation: Associate at Top Banking Firm

Logan Bauer
Hometown: Navarre, Fla.
Current occupation: Orthopedic Device Representative

Olive Beauregard
Hometown: Providence, Rhode Island
Current occupation: Firefighter

Brooke Camhi
Hometown: Lynbrook, N.Y.
Current occupation: Director of Business Development at U.S. Legal Support and Attorney at Camhi & Min.

Tara Carr
Hometown: Where the Army sends me! Originally from New Milford, Conn., but currently reside in Alexandria, Va.
Current occupation: U.S. Army Officer

Joey Covino
Hometown: Boston, Mass.
Current occupation: Police Sergeant

Becca Droz
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Penn.
Current occupation: Rock Climbing Instructor and Barista.

Liz Espey
Hometown: Maryville, Mo.
Current occupation: Auctioneer

Scott Flanary
Hometown: Charlotte, N.C.
Current occupation: University Recruiting Manager

Sara Fowler
Hometown: Baltimore, Md.
Current occupation: Luxury Real Estate Agent

London Kaye
Hometown: New York
Current occupation: Street Artist

Matt Ladley
Hometown: Steamboat Springs, Colo.
Current occupation: Professional Snowboarder

Jenn Lee
Hometown: Palos Verdes, Calif.
Current occupation: Professional Model

Kevin Ng
Hometown: San Diego
Current occupation: Physio/Certified Athletic Trainer/O-PAC at the USA Rugby Olympic Training Center.

Francesca Piccoli
Hometown: Banning, Calif.
Current occupation: U.S. Army

Floyd Pierce
Hometown: Highlands Ranch, Colo.
Current occupation: College Student

Michael Rado
Hometown: Pittsburgh, Penn.
Current occupation: Butcher

Redmond Ramos
Hometown: Fremont, Calif.
Current occupation: Motivational Speaker

Jessica "Jessie" Lynn Shields
Hometown: Howland, Ohio
Current Occupation: K-9 Police Officer at Youngstown Police Department in Youngstown, Ohio.

Ashton Theiss
Hometown: Fort Worth, Texas
Current occupation: Real Estate Agent

Seth Tyler
Hometown: Seattle, Wash.
Current occupation: Police Officer

Vanck Zhu
Hometown: St. Paul, Minn.
Current occupation: Investment Research

So that's about it. Everything below is probably going to end up being spoilers for the first episode as it's already aired on March 30th.

If anybody has better / full shots of the cast feel free to PM me them and I'll probably update this later in the week. This was all CBS had on their site for me to rip off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for making a thread. The first episode was very promising, though the editing was more frantic than I remembered

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
I watched the first episode and I do not remember half of these people. I need the gimmicky teams back.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Hooray, more Amazing Race. It's one of the only shows I would want to be on.

I hope they give the teams a chance to choose a new partner in the next leg or two just to gently caress with them.

Meanwhile, it was kinda funny for Seth's partner (Gay police officer) was like 'There'll be no romance :('

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

blue squares posted:

Thanks for making a thread. The first episode was very promising, though the editing was more frantic than I remembered

I'm thinking that's just more a case of that was a whole lot to fit into one hour episode - introducing 22 individuals (rather than 11 teams), having task to then choose teams, and then a full leg. I wouldn't be surprised if this format makes first couple episodes feel a little rushed before it settles in but I thought it was an extremely promising premiere. I've checked out early on couple recent seasons due to way too many unbearable people, but there seems to be solid mix of both good and funny teams this time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flynt posted:

I watched the first episode and I do not remember half of these people. I need the gimmicky teams back.

It would definitely help, though it takes me half a season to remember that anybody exists. Also, the casting this season feels pretty drat homogenous. That's always a problem on the show, but teams coming on together helps avoid the 22-28 year old white people who look like models issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I like pretty much the entire cast, and Random Teammates seems like a pretty decent gimmick that won't favor anyone too heavily.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I do wish they showed what the hell happened to the team that left that detour in 10th place but managed to get lost to come in after the team that had to be turned away because the detour closed.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I do wish they showed what the hell happened to the team that left that detour in 10th place but managed to get lost to come in after the team that had to be turned away because the detour closed.

The drove quite far in the wrong direction

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Decent episode even though one of the guys almost got his team eliminated because he didn't understand that a harness might not be 100% comfortable on his balls.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I enjoyed this episodes' (realistic) portrayal of self-described alpha males as childish tantrum throwers, though it's a shame about who was eliminated.

I enjoy the dynamic of strangers, since it reduces team stunt-casting to a degree, which has really hobbled recent seasons. I haven't watched since the Youtube "Celebrity" season (how many seasons ago was that?), but I've enjoyed these first two episodes a lot thus far.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Shamir is pathetic, and he should have incurred a time penalty for breaking a window

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

blue squares posted:

Shamir is pathetic, and he should have incurred a time penalty for breaking a window

Seriously! I thought that was crazy they didn't mention it

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

blue squares posted:

That's exactly what I was hoping for/expecting.

I felt so bad for his teammate but he called an ambulance for ball cramps!!!!

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Arcanen posted:

I haven't watched since the Youtube "Celebrity" season (how many seasons ago was that?), but I've enjoyed these first two episodes a lot thus far.

That was the last season.

Yeah, I'm enjoying this season too. I expected to hate it based on the gimmick, but it's pretty good especially when comparing it to the last few seasons.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Feel bad for Shamir's partner, I get the feeling he picked the hottest woman, she didn't hook up with him, and now he has checked out. So far rooting for team LoLo, but they were pretty invisible leg 2.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really can't believe the smashed ball guy didn't get a penalty.

This season feels good so far, most of what's good about the blind date season without trying to force the romance stuff.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Shamir should take his "type-A" personality and sensitive balls back to wall street so he can work on tanking the world economy again. What a useless baby.

Matt and Redmond seem like a good team, but I like the majority of em so far, I might actually finish this season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Finally had time to watch this week's ep...Yeah, Shamir is a useless dumbass. Like...he seriously got an ambulance for his nuts being uncomfortable in a harness?

EDIT: Okay; Phil busting his balls :rimshot: about it sorta made it all worth it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 10, 2017

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

jivjov posted:

Finally had time to watch this week's ep...Yeah, Shamir is a useless dumbass. Like...he seriously got an ambulance for his nuts being uncomfortable in a harness?

EDIT: Okay; Phil busting his balls :rimshot: about it sorta made it all worth it.

Smashed balls dude goes nuts and gets testy far too easily. He's a disgrace to Alpha Males at prestigious Wall Street firms. I love how his partner was like "We just got back to the pitstop and everyone was in a good mood, but there he was over there complaining about his balls again."

Team Will & Grace is quickly becoming my least favorite team, but I like pretty much everyone else.

You know the blond will erupt at the Asian nerd at some point though, the she will be intolerable too.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just finished watching episode three, lmao at "ow I got a splinter". Dear god Shamir stop whining.

The boys are probably the strongest team, unless they screw up majorly somewhere, somehow, they'll probably be in the top three if not the outright winners.

I'm glad Becca & Floyd didn't get eliminated because of the passport screw up, I always feel bad when something like that happens (see Zev & Justin some seasons back) and thus far they're my favourite team. Also the first time we've seen Becca angry :allears:

Regarding all the other racers I've no strong feelings one way or the other.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Team Fun sure did take a sudden turn there, that was pretty funny. Also the heartwarming vet taking a turn into being a macho rear end in a top hat ADMIT YOU ARE WEAK!!! Liz and Mike are the quiet, efficient team but may falter if the tasks get physical.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy
It's so annoying when the teams make Uturn decisions based on popularity instead of strategy. Even if you don't like Vanck and Ashton, it's not like they were a team you'd have to worry about.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

flynt posted:

It's so annoying when the teams make Uturn decisions based on popularity instead of strategy. Even if you don't like Vanck and Ashton, it's not like they were a team you'd have to worry about.

And it's especially frustrating because they managed to get there before so many other stronger teams. But no, everyone had their big bitch session and decided Vanck was just too awful to have around. Hope Michael/Liz and Brooke/Scott enjoy looking back on their great gamesmanship in a week or two as The Boys easily crush them in some random physical task.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious if the First Place vacation prizes are awarded to both teammates, or if there's only one trip that they either have to go on together or divvy up at the end of the race

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

ShakeZula posted:

And it's especially frustrating because they managed to get there before so many other stronger teams. But no, everyone had their big bitch session and decided Vanck was just too awful to have around. Hope Michael/Liz and Brooke/Scott enjoy looking back on their great gamesmanship in a week or two as The Boys easily crush them in some random physical task.

Vanck didn't even seem that bad??? Like he was unsociable but who cares? His team didn't like the Boys who are the primary competition. Why eliminate them?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

It's possible that Vanck was an rear end in a top hat behind the scenes, but I'd bet it was more that he didn't feel comfortable hanging out and telling drinking stories and therefore he must hate us so we hate him!

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
Not a huge fan of Vanck and Ashton so I didn't really care about them being eliminated. That said, I'm still mystified about what happened at the double u-turn. Vanck and Ashton seemed to be one of the weaker teams, so the other weak teams (especially Brooke and Scott) should want to keep them as a buffer.

The social aspect of the u-turn "strategy" was totally unexpected to me, I guess there must be a ton of drama between the teams that we didn't get to see. At least from the editing, Brooke and Scott in particular give off a weird 'still stuck in high school' vibe, so they might have played a major role in the decision to u-turn Vanck and Ashton. Whatever it was, why wouldn't they show us the drama if it was so important to the whole leg?

This leg felt pretty lovely and uninspired overall. Dull and almost pointless roadblock, another u-turn before the detour, and the detour itself was a choice between climbing another loving thing and watching plaster dry. Jesus Christ.

I've been watching TAR Canada lately, and while sometimes I think the tasks are very harsh on the competitors, the legs infinitely more fun and interesting than whatever the gently caress we're getting this season (and honestly the past couple of seasons as well).

jivjov posted:

I'm curious if the First Place vacation prizes are awarded to both teammates, or if there's only one trip that they either have to go on together or divvy up at the end of the race

I remember reading somewhere that both teammates get a trip for two to wherever. Not sure if it was just speculation or someone who actually knew what they were talking about though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I wonder if they have the option to just trade in the vacations for cash, I would imagine the last thing they want to do is travel.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
This wasn't shown so who knows if this is true, but apparently Vanck & Ashton managed to move up to first class on one of the flights and the teams were all mad about that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Eltoasto posted:

I wonder if they have the option to just trade in the vacations for cash, I would imagine the last thing they want to do is travel.

well, on the other hand, it might be nice to be able to go enjoy a scenic locale rather than sprinting through it!

And I think US game shows are required to offer retail value in place of prizes

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Its been a few seasons since I paid much attention to the amazing race, but I find it interesting how much these teams are working together on the challenges.

Also, it was total bullshit that the fast forward took longer to complete than the actual leg.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also, it was total bullshit that the fast forward took longer to complete than the actual leg.

I wonder if there was some kind of weather delay for one or both of the helicopters?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

jivjov posted:

I wonder if there was some kind of weather delay for one or both of the helicopters?

It looked to me it was because the leg was in the same town as the check point, I got the feeling Becca and Floyd has a lot of driving to do after the sky dive.

I'm not a massive fan on Vanck and Ashton but the whole thing really felt like bullying, I'm really disappointed Mike and Liz got involved with it.

No real hate-able teams this year, the boys acted like petulant children when they got u-turned and Brooke is annoying but nothing on the level of Natalie and Nadia or Brenchal. So far I'm rooting fro team fun or Mom and Dad but I think Matt and Redmond have it in the bag.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

I like team LoLo because they seem happy, but are really just kind of coasting and will probably be out soon. Brooke is hilarious to me because she is absolutely the worse racer of all time, she has cried and whined and tried to give up with every single task, while at the same time forcing her scare-of-heights partner to do all the height challenges.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Eltoasto posted:

I like team LoLo because they seem happy, but are really just kind of coasting and will probably be out soon. Brooke is hilarious to me because she is absolutely the worse racer of all time, she has cried and whined and tried to give up with every single task, while at the same time forcing her scare-of-heights partner to do all the height challenges.

Scott has the patience of a saint, I can't for the life of me figure out what would have made Brooke sign up for the race, it's obviously not her thing.

Does anyone else think they're telegraphing who's coming in last majorly this season? Both the last two legs it's been painfully obvious within the first 5 minutes or so of the episode who's going to lose.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
I think that's just this show in general. A few seasons ago was really bad about it, at the beginning of half the episodes were confessionals that came out of left field: "This is a picture of my daughter...", "Our father recently died of cancer, and it's been tough...", "A few years ago I told my sister I was gay...".

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya that's classic TAR editing: non-relevant personal backstory = eliminated.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man, it was a shame to see Team Fun go out like they did, I was really hoping they'd make it to the finale.

On the other hand, esports next episode. That's cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

jivjov posted:

Man, it was a shame to see Team Fun go out like they did, I was really hoping they'd make it to the finale.

On the other hand, esports next episode. That's cool!

Dude was too straight-laced and exhausted himself trying to redo it completely. It was their lack of a cheating nature that brought them down.

• Locked thread