Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yay bruins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson signed with the Bruins which is cool but not really as exciting as when McAvoy signed. I also don't think he's good enough to be a regular roster player, but we'll see I guess.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

The pre-season prediction thread is archived now, but I gotta say I really nailed this one:

and this one

:smug:

Do you have the archives link? I'm pretty sure my predictions sucked too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Well I was wrong about basically everything.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Boston can clinch tomorrow if they beat Tampa. I'm still expecting them to lose out and miss the playoffs, though. I won't believe it until they actually get that stupid X next to their name.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
If the Bruins do make the playoffs though I'll make one of those stupid signs that says like "We've waited 2 years, 259 days and 8 hours for this moment!!!"

Twin Cinema posted:

Matthews has a real shot at scoring 40 goals this year, only needed 2 in his last 5 games. Only 14 other players have ever scored 40 goals in their rookie season, and Matthews would be the first since Ovechkin to do it (Crosby was close with 39 in the same year as Ovechkin). Before Laine and Matthews this year, the highest previous total since Ovechkin was Grabner with 34.

I guarantee that he going to score two goals tonight.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
gently caress the NHL, seriously? olympic hockey loving rules

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm boycotting the NHL next olympics unless I change my mind and decide I don't care about this!!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Everyone should just send their world juniors team.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
USA has finally started to catch up to Canada (just look at team NA for the world cup, majority American) and now they take away the olympics lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

yellowcar posted:

I would contend that the US women's team is better and more successful than the US men's team.

More attractive too

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

stab posted:

got playoff tickets for 3 of the 4 MTL round 1 playoff games (games 2-3-4)

games 3 and 4 aren't in Montreal though? and we don't even know who they'll be playing yet

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
also: Bruins clinch with a regulation win tonight. Leafs can clinch with a non-shootout win + a Tampa Bay loss of any kind.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

DJExile posted:

Tonight's Flyers/Devils game is going to be one of those amazing gong shows with both top lines resting and like 70 PIM isn't it

my friend said Morin is going to play and that he might kill a guy

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Martytoof posted:

I mean, we'll see whether he actually ups and goes or not.

Leonsis (Caps owner) has said he'd let his players go even if he gets fined by the NHL. He's a cool owner.

He also does this thing where he replaces hats for any fan who throws their hat after a hat trick, even when it happens in not-Washington DC.

Slappy Pappy posted:

If the Olympics were today, and assuming all the likely Olympics participants from the Caps are allowed to participate, the lines during the Olympics would probably look something like this:

Karl Alzner-Matt Niskanen
Brooks Orpik-Kevin Shattenkirk
Nate Schmidt-Taylor Chorney

Shattenkirk was on team USA in 2014 too. Dunno if he'd make it in 2018 (or even re-sign with Washington) but it's possible he'd be gone too.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 4, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
do you guys think Connor is going to hit 100 points

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I can't wait for all the hand-wringing when players go to the Olympics and the previous pro-Olympics fans are calling into question their players' integrity and dedication when they up and leave their teams for two weeks a month and a half before the playoffs

if most of the good players go, the teams that really benefit are the bad ones without olympians

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

T-Bone posted:

I think he tops out at 60-75 but it depends if he gets a lot of PP time with Laine

Kilza posted:

McDavid? I think so. He's playing his best hockey of the season right now, and his final 4 games are against 3 non-playoff teams (Kings, Canucks x2) and the struggling Sharks. I'm sure he'll get at least 6 points from those 4 games.

I was indeed talking about McDavid, but since T Bone brought it up and I'm thinking about it now, I agree that Kyle Connor is probably a 65ish point guy.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Matt Zerella posted:

Nash, Zucc, McD, Fast all out tomorrow. Does a loss lock up WC1?

It's basically already locked up since they're not going to overtake Columbus for 3rd in the Metro.

Tampa, if they make it, would have 96 points at most. Meaning WC2 or 2/3 in Atlantic (unlikely)
Boston can end up with 98 points max, so WC2 or 2/3 in Atlantic.
Ottawa could end up with exactly 100 if they win out, but Rangers have the ROW tiebreaker. That point total is also most likely putting them at 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic.
Toronto can have up to 101 points. If the end up with 100, Rangers have the ROW tiebreaker. 100 or 101 points would probably make them 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bruins clinch a playoff spot

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I am so excited to see Boston lose to Pittsburgh or Washington in 5 games!!!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
huey, dewey, louie, mort, gord

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
kind of like how the Leafs will end up with 40+ losses but will still probably be a higher seed than the Bruins.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
My favorite tiebreaker is in lacrosse, where you can play "Braveheart" rules. 1v1 (plus goalies), no substitutions, sudden death. It kind of sucks if you're the guy who has to do it, though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ginette Reno posted:

So award chat. Does Burns still deserve the Norris? Karlsson has closed the gap in points and has a trillion blocked shots and plays two more minutes a game. Gets harder zone starts too. Burns has out performed him from a possession standpoint though but part of that is to be expected given Burns is deployed much more in the o-zone

95% of the voters are just going to look at who has more points or pick Burns because he's Canadian

xzzy posted:

5 years playing hockey and I've never gotten a chin zit from my cage.

Maybe you should invest in some cleaning products. :v:

Yeah that's never happened to me in 10+ years of playing lacrosse and hockey.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the Caps can lock up the president's trophy with at least a point tonight, right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Those of you whose teams are in the race for Patrick (I assume CS still has him#1): are you actually excited for him? Or is it more of a "Yeah I guess he's pretty good" kind of thing?

Patrick is a good prospect and if the Bruins were in the running for him I'd definitely be excited. Scouts think he would have been just outside the top 5 if he was drafted last year. Comparable in talent to Tkachuk, Keller, or a Nylander bro is good. We've had a lot of legit superstar prospects over the past few years so I think people are a bit disappointed that this draft seems weak in comparison.

Personally I think Nico Hischier is the more interesting prospect, though.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I still think it's premature to dismiss the entire draft as being bad.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gio posted:

i was reviewing the past few years 5th-10th pick to see what the wings will likely get and well looks pretty bad!

it seems fine to me

2016: Juolevi, Tkachuk, Keller, Nylander, Sergachev, Jost - kind of too soon to make any judgments but Tkachuk is obviously good
2015: Hanifin, Zacha, Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Rantanen - all of these guys are good prospects, most are already impact NHL players
2014: Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury, Nylander, Ehlers, Ritchie - some duds here but two of them are already top-6 forwards
2013: E. Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Ristolainen, Horvat, Nichuskin - all of these guys are good, even Nichuskin who hosed off to Russia
2012: Rielly, H. Lindholm, Dumba, Pouliot, Trouba, Koekkoek - wow a bunch of defensemen. some are a lot better than others but they're all more or less NHL regulars
2011: Strome, Zibanejad, Scheifele, Couturier, Hamilton, Brodin - all of these guys are good
2010: Niederreiter, Connolly, Skinner, Burmistrov, Granlund, McIlrath - McIlrath sucks, Burmistrov is ok I guess, Connolly is a good bottom 6 winger, and the other three forwards are top 6.

edit: i probably shouldn't say the 2014 guys are duds just yet actually, most of these guys are still only 20

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 5, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Gio posted:

none of those guys are the next wayne gretzky though

thats fair

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Coughposo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Pungry posted:

This makes a first round Pens-Jackets series a reality, huh? That blows. A lot harder to choose between than it was in 2014 since both teams absolutely deserve to go farther. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the playoffs system is terrible.

I think it sucks because I want them both to lose. The Penguins because I don't want to see a repeat champion, the Blue Jackets because their fans (well maybe not the ones who post here) are getting a little cocky now that they've had one good regular season, and also another reason I'm not going to go into further detail about.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Also, I kind of just assumed Toronto was going to make the playoffs. I didn't realize they play Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, and Columbus as their last three games. I guess they really only need to beat Tampa Bay, but it could get rough if they don't. I'd imagine Columbus and Pittsburgh won't be resting players either since it's possible for them to switch seeding still.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CBJSprague24 posted:

Ok, now I kinda want to know what caused Jamwad to hate my perennial dog poo, occasional decent franchise.

I didn't say I hated them, I said I don't want them to win.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Fateo McMurray posted:

watch them put up a banner about it

they already have a banner they're just going to add more numbers. get it right. sheesh.

there's also a "best attendance" banner up there for the WNBA team

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Brad had a real shot at 40 goals, and an outside chance at the Rocket Richard, but cracking a dudes eggs is good too.

Edit: Also I assume this means JFK is going to get his chance at the NHL

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 6, 2017

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Caps tickets are insanely cheap, even in the playoffs, and it rules.

I'm pretty sure I've told this story before but I went to the playoff game in 09 when Ovechkin and Crosby both had hat tricks. I sat in the middle bowl, center ice, for like $150. It was the best.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yeah that sucks. I think Oilers-Caps tickets were like $20 when they were at Verizon Center this year.

The "expensive" games are when the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, or Bruins are in town. Then it's like $50 minimum, more if it's on a weekend. Usually you can sit just about anywhere though for pretty cheap. Last year when the Leafs called up Nylander and some of those other guys towards the end of the season, I bought seats in the lower bowl (maybe 10 rows from the glass?) for $60 the day of the game.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Edmonsuck Suckers
Connor McFartHead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm very interested to see if Tampa or the Islanders can beat the odds here and take the last playoff spot.

• Locked thread