Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wings fly away. Oilers gonna oil. Flames gonna flame out. Sharks are currently tanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

I honestly think this is the year the Wild and the Caps finally live up to expectations. I mean, statistically how many times can the Wild lose to the Blackhawks, or the Caps flame out in the second round?

The wild are 1-3 in the season series against chicago. caps are 2-2 against the pens with with 35 total goals in those 4 games, 2-2 against the jackets with a game tomorrow for the season series.

A caps-pens series would be some good ol' timey hockey. It would be nice to see the caps win it there in 7 and be dead tired for the Canadiens coming from the other side of the bracket. Then Canadiens win there, oilers on the other side, oilers win the cup, habs fans burn down the city.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Schlesische posted:

You know the Oilers fans will burn down Edmonton as well in this scenario, yes?

No they don't.

When the oilers lost in 06, everybody was still having fun and getting blackout drunk. It was kinda a sadder atmostphere, but it was still a celebration, almost like a wake.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

iospace posted:

Probably will be 1st to be eliminated though.

Have you watched a sharks game lately? In their last 10 games, the oilers are 9-1-0 with wins against both Anaheim and San Jose. San Jose are 2-8-0 with losses to Anaheim, Edmonton, Calgary, and Nashville, one of which they'll play in the first round.

The bracket again sets up the battle of alberta and the battle of ontario, but a couple hilarious scenarios exist now. Calgary is only 1 point behind San Jose, and nashville is only 2 points behind, so if they continue their slide, calgary could kick them down to the first wildcard slot, putting them up against the leaders of the pacific division, the edmonton oilers(ooh that feels good), and nashville could knock them down to the second slot kicking them over to the other side of the bracket with the Blackhawks and wild.

edit: if the panthers win all 4 remaining games, the losers of next saturday's Sharks-Flames game will face Chicago in the first round.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 2, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fits posted:

their last four games: sharks, three non-playoff teams (kings, canucks*2)

you gotta believe

So 3 teams that have already given up on the year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So does it start out as "i'm an idiot, i should be a referee" or do they start out as regular functional individuals and just get broken down into scrap parts by their job?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

You need a certain kind of psyche to not break when every shithead in the peanut gallery thinks their 6 beers gives them better judgement on plays than your decades of experience, so maybe?

I don't know. When there's a rule where you're not allowed to slap another player in the face with your stick and someone slaps another player in the face with their stick as they're skating away, judgement doesn't seem like a huge part of it. When each team is only supposed to have 5 skaters playing on the ice and one team goes with 6 for a bit, that's more of a math thing. I give them the benefit of the doubt on the judgement calls, but 6 is more than 5, faces don't start spontaneously bleeding.

It's frustrating that important games can't be consistent. Teams do dumb poo poo and the refs let it go until it's completely out of hand, then completely crack down to the point where it feels like acting inconvenienced by a tap or tug can win you the game.

grack posted:

If you ever want to have a deep and abiding hatred for humanity start officiating children's sports leagues.
I can only imagine. Maybe that's why they seem to completely shut out criticism, it's automatic at this point. Any sentence that starts with "hey rear end in a top hat, " their brain immediately turns into soothing elevator music.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Well, wouldn't you tune out that sentence too? Let's say your boss walks in to your office and instead of saying 'hey I have some constructive criticism, you need to adjust your <thing you do> so that you can <meet job requirement> better' says 'hey fuckup you're a retard and I hate you, suck less'. Which of those is likely to be listened to?

Does....does this not happen at your job?

glynnenstein posted:

Reffing is really, really hard to do well at the speed the NHL game happens. Next time you're at a game anywhere near the glass, stop and imagine that you have to see the whole ice all at the same time. It's not so hard to see a lot of what's going on from up high and you see everything on TV, but it's impossible on the ice and it's why refs miss things and the fact that they don't miss more is astonishing. I've reffed kids and beer league stuff and it's not hard to see what's going on because it's slow, but even then you still miss poo poo and everyone will ruthlessly let you know.

But like Todd Mclellan said, it's fine when they don't see it, the problem is when they see it and don't call it. when there's a guy skating away on a breakaway, it should be easy to see that he was hooked enough to pull him off the puck or slapped in the face with a stick hard enough to bleed. When you see the whistle come up or the arm start to come up and nothing happens, it's frustrating.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

if the flames go 4-0-0, the oilers and ducks 1-1-2 and the sharks 2-1-0, we get a 4 way tie in the pacific at 100 points.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Make it happen!

The flames already blew it, and are now officially out of contention for #1 in the pacific.

Good job, flames.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

If Iginla wanted to win the Cup so bad he'd had have told Bylsma to quit playing him on his off loving wing

Anyway what's the deal with Joe Thornton

he old

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Imagine having your career ended by the loving canucks.

Speaking of canucks and the end of careers, If you combine the Sedins, they have as many goals as Mcdavid but 10 fewer points.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 3, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It sucks that Mcdavid won't win olympic gold for 20 years, but i'm comforted in knowing Marchand never will.

Retirees and prospect olympic competition sounds fun, though. Ryan Smyth passing to Jaeydin waznitsky-macdonald for the gold will never match crosby to mcdavid , but whatever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

Matthews one away from 40. Kid's kinda good.

Aim higher, he's only 4 goals behind crosby now.

Matthews for the Rocket Richard and Calder
Mcdavid for the Art Ross and Hart
Maroon for the Masterson

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because the winter olympics will never be in china, right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

Nah, it's Washington, they'll take them to 7 games before losing.

That's still not settled. At this point in time, they could be in 2nd, facing tampa bay in 3rd, with ottawa in WC2 facing washington, and toronto fans on suicide watch.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

I bet the sharks will do really well in the playoffs

2nd round exit at least - probably better. I mean, the Oilers? The Ducks? Sharks can beat either of them.

The dude during the oilers game said the oilers/flames are 0-36 in southern california arenas.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How about settling tie games with a fist fight between each team's highest paid player.

Find out who really wants it more.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2 games for performing a vasectomy without a medical license.

shma

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

StubHub is showing that first round tickets for the games in Columbus are significantly more expensive than in Pittsburgh. :confused:

If I didn't have to work and had more confidence in my team, my rear end might have taken a road trip.

https://www.stubhub.com/columbus-blue-jackets-tickets/performer/6350/

On the plus side, second round tickets will be much, much, much cheaper in columbus :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gently caress you guys.

https://www.stubhub.com/edmonton-oilers-playoff-tickets/grouping/109620/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that sucks. I think Oilers-Caps tickets were like $20 when they were at Verizon Center this year.

The "expensive" games are when the Flyers, Penguins, Rangers, or Bruins are in town. Then it's like $50 minimum, more if it's on a weekend. Usually you can sit just about anywhere though for pretty cheap. Last year when the Leafs called up Nylander and some of those other guys towards the end of the season, I bought seats in the lower bowl (maybe 10 rows from the glass?) for $60 the day of the game.

For the finals, it would be cheaper to buy tickets from every eastern team, and fly to whoever the oilers are facing, and just hope they win the cup on the road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Too bad it wasn't Kesler.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

Toronto only has like a 2.3% chance to miss the playoffs at this point.

Hmm... That's about as unlikely as a 3 goal 3rd period comeback...

Hey bud, about that......

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pittsburgh are probably going to rest some of their better players, so the leafs might be able to lose one in overtime.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

The only bright spot on missing the playoffs is the fact that we came from 30th last year to almost do so. I'm super impressed with the rookies for the most part and can't wait for the dead weight of the older management groups to be finally shed for picks or something.

The oilers were only 1 point ahead last season, clinched in march, and are fighting for 1st in the division.

Also interesting: The 15-16 30th place leafs had 22 more points than the 16-17 avs have right now. Maybe not a fair comparison because the avs could win their last 3 games and aaaahahahahaha.

The worst goal differential last year was -52 for the canucks, the Avs are currently at -109.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HookShot posted:

I read an article today that quoted both Sedins as saying they won't play for another team other than Vancouver, so RIP their cup chances.

Not surprising, they're barely playing for Vancouver at this point :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gio posted:

lol

he does looks like hes 12 tho

He's 19

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mcdavid......smash?

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/850206117095391232

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kilza posted:

Oilers are only 1 point away from getting home ice advantage in a playoff series for the first time since 1991.

Also Talbot now has the Oilers wins record and McDavid is up to 97 points, just 3 away from 100 and both remaining games against the Canucks. :toot:

Also, unless Mcdavid goes scoreless in 2, and crosby scores 5 points/game or Kane scores 9 points/game in the remaining games, It's the first Art Ross for an oilers player since Gretzky in 86-87. He has to have the Hart on lock too, first for an Oiler since Messier in 89-90.

Oilers are back, baby!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

And it only took like 6 first overall picks!

Hey.

It was only 4, and one turned out to be a total turd. They should get half credit back for that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Habibi posted:

Sharks have Lucic a hattie.

gently caress you stupid Sharks.

There's something we can all agree on!

A natural hatty to complete a third period comeback, too. That's Avs bad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brain Curry posted:

I didn't realize the NHL doesn't have neurologists actually on the concussion subcommittee.

http://www.tsn.ca/panthers-doctor-turf-war-keeping-neurologists-off-nhl-study-group-1.718259

This should have been obvious when the concussion spotter pulled mcdavid when he hit his mouth, and then touched his mouth to see if it was bleeding, but leaves every guy who gets punched in the head 15 times out there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Sidney Crosby can give a guy a concussion with a spear to the groin.

Crosby so dirty he'll give your kids a concussion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So when do the leafs get eliminated?
Looks like tampa has the canadiens beat, so....

WOAAAAAAAAAH, WE'RE HALFWAY THEEEERE

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So they lose to New Jersey?

Wait, you can LOSE to New Jersey now?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Was a Bon Jovi joke

What's a bon jovi?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Uh oh Leafs

WOAAAAAAAAAH, LIVIN ON A PRAYER

I'm sure they'll be fine, they only have to win 1 of their back to back games against 2 of the best teams in the league, or hope Tampa loses against one of the worst.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wait, the Leafs haven't even been to the finals since they won the cup?

drat. Maybe that's why their fans aren't that into it, they don't remember what it's like

Drunk Canuck posted:

Auston Matthews is the best rookie since Lemieux, confirmed.

https://twitter.com/SNstats/status/850887884852928512

That's also from the era of gretzky scoring 200 points/season. Between him, Laine and Carter, it's been an amazing year for rookies.

It's disappointing we were robbed of a full mcdavid rookie season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oilers first 100 point season since 1986-87 :toot:

The last time they got more than 100 points, they won the cup

• Locked thread