Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

I can see them losing to both the Pens and Columbus in regulation

and I can also see the bolts taking it over the habs, and then they only have the Sabres to beat

or possibly the ilses topping the Devils and then the Sens - who are already comfortably placed.

hardly a miracle I would think - though maybe unlikely

Toronto is still in a good position. If they earn even one point that eliminates Tampa. The Islanders still need to win out too, but there's still the potential for some shifting in the Atlantic division seeding, and everyone wants to avoid playing Washington in round 1, so they'll probably get Ottawa's best effort on Sunday.

ThinkTank posted:

Of course stranger things have happened, but people are acting like the Leafs have already thrown this away and it's a coin flip from here on out. They haven't, Sportsclubstats still lists their chances of making the playoffs at 88.5% which are very good odds.

Yeah that's true, but their odds were around 98% just a few days ago, it's a big swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that's true, but their odds were around 98% just a few days ago, it's a big swing.

As I was typing that I did get a momentary precognition that someone would quote that post on Sunday evening with just the word :lol: beneath it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

yellowcar posted:

Also the Habs recently lost the mighty Buffalo Sabres.

Yeah but they always lose to the sabres.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

Columbus is probably going to be playing hard for a victory given their current losing streak. I can't imagine Torts playing it safe in the midst of a 5 game losing streak. Pittsburgh might let the foot off the gas a bit but they are still stupidly talented even if they end up resting Crosby and a few others. I'd imagine Malkin would play if healthy though to get him back up to game speed.

Also remember that it's not just the Lightning, it's the Islanders who could overtake the Leafs and their schedule is @NJ and OTT, so I could easily seem them winning both.

I'd still bet against the Leafs missing, but it's not a super longshot or anything.

Crosby might still play tomorrow given he's gunning for the Richard. Malkin has also said he wants to play in one or both of the last two games as a tune up. So the Leafs might get a bit screwed by that although I doubt the Pens are gonna come out with an all world effort or anything and they might get to play Maf.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

News: SENS CLINCH

Views: I'M HAPPY

gently caress yeah bud! Now, I am willing for us to lose our last game of the season, if it means NYI in the playoffs instead of leafs.

Come on, have Neil, Alfie and Phillips on the ice on Sunday. Come on Boucher.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
This is a great read:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/mike-lange-penguins-broadcaster-jaromir-jagr/

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Okposo's been released from the hospital. Still a mystery as to what his illness was/is.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/PKessel81/status/849990419496742915

https://twitter.com/Letang_58/status/850376955967012865

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Oh, for sure. That's why I used the "jaws of victory" metaphor. They basically have to go 0-2 and then one of NYI or TB have to win out. It's not super likely, but the schedules and the cosmic irony are not in favor of Toronto.

They also have to go 0-2 in regulation. They lose in OT or Shootout, they're in, I believe.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They also have to go 0-2 in regulation. They lose in OT or Shootout, they're in, I believe.

In the hypothetical of the isles winning their last 2 and the leafs picking up one point, the isles get in over them. They'd have one more ROW than the leafs in that scenario.

If the isles lose a game and it's just Tampa vs Toronto for the last spot then Toronto picking up one point in any way is enough though.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

If sens win Saturday they clinch 2nd in division right? If that is the case, I hope they win it, and tank Sunday, just to gently caress with the leafs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Iodised QQ posted:

In the hypothetical of the isles winning their last 2 and the leafs picking up one point, the isles get in over them. They'd have one more ROW than the leafs in that scenario.

If the isles lose a game and it's just Tampa vs Toronto for the last spot then Toronto picking up one point in any way is enough though.

Ah okay, I didn't know they had the tiebreaker.

I do not like Calgary's chances in 1st round. Considering some of the obstacles in their way though (Elliott playing like poo poo, Gaudreau missing like 10 games at a crucial time), I'm glad we made the playoffs, but losing back to back to the Ducks pretty much murdered our chances since it means the Ducks are now our opponents. Is it weird I'd rather play Chicago or Edmonton? I mean ideally, we'd be playing Minnesota so I could see the Flames live for the first time ever, but it was not to be. However, in interest of not being a broken record, here's some things that were good about this season:

-Backlund stepping up huge and earning himself a possible Selke nomination
-We found a cost effective replacement for Wideman who doesn't suck.
-Speaking of suck, Wideman's deal runs out this year. Halle-loving-lujah.
-Brian Elliott getting his poo poo together
-Gio played a full year! Hot drat!
-Tkachuk is ready now. We could not afford for him to bust, imo, with the way Bennett has stagnated. Hopefully he keeps developing.
-There were times this season where Dougie Hamilton was downright dominant. I'm glad we didn't trade him when things looked bad.
-Obviously a small sample size, but Curtis Lazar has more pts in 3 games (2) then he did in his previous 33 with Ottawa (1). I'll heartifly chuckle if goes all Leon Draisaitl for us.
-Mike Ferland really impressed me in the 2nd half of the season
-21 Million in cap space for the off-season.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

https://twitter.com/ArponBasu/status/850407460351430657

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

never would have guessed Katz is a fuckin sleaze

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

-Obviously a small sample size, but Curtis Lazar has more pts in 3 games (2) then he did in his previous 33 with Ottawa (1). I'll heartifly chuckle if goes all Leon Draisaitl for us.

I guess they got a decent return for him, but it is funny to see the Sens giving up on young guys (Lazar and Puempel) who couldn't score at all when they played on a line with Chris Kelly and Chris Neil, who are drat close to the biggest offensive void in the league. Here's the fancy stats take:

Of skaters who played at least 100 minutes, Kelly and Neil rank 715 and 716 out of 719 players in on-ice goal differential (~21%) and goals for per 60m (~.62) meaning the team scored, on average, one goal per 96 minutes those two were on the ice. That's on a team with a 71-point defenseman playing 27m a night.

Not that Lazar and Puempel are anything special, but Neil and Kelly are the worst duo in the league.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
But Neil's great in the locker room!

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

JohnnyCanuck posted:

But Neil's great in the locker room!

Neil barely ever dresses for games lately.

Kelly, on the other hand, needs to get out of the lineup to make room for Dzingel and White.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I didn't realize the NHL doesn't have neurologists actually on the concussion subcommittee.

http://www.tsn.ca/panthers-doctor-turf-war-keeping-neurologists-off-nhl-study-group-1.718259

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brain Curry posted:

I didn't realize the NHL doesn't have neurologists actually on the concussion subcommittee.

http://www.tsn.ca/panthers-doctor-turf-war-keeping-neurologists-off-nhl-study-group-1.718259

This should have been obvious when the concussion spotter pulled mcdavid when he hit his mouth, and then touched his mouth to see if it was bleeding, but leaves every guy who gets punched in the head 15 times out there.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

The NHL won't even confirm or deny that they even have actual doctors for their "concussion spotters"

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Hey Toronto, getting nervous yet? Habs making GBS threads the bed against Tampa

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Rotten Cookies posted:

Okposo's been released from the hospital. Still a mystery as to what his illness was/is.

I'm guessing meningitis.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

This should have been obvious when the concussion spotter pulled mcdavid when he hit his mouth, and then touched his mouth to see if it was bleeding, but leaves every guy who gets punched in the head 15 times out there.

Ya noones ever had a concussion getting hit in the mouth.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya noones ever had a concussion getting hit in the mouth.

Sidney Crosby can give a guy a concussion with a spear to the groin.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Crosby so dirty he'll give your kids a concussion.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Cartoon Man posted:

Well what do you expect when you aim for the head?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So when do the leafs get eliminated?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Huggybear posted:

I'm guessing meningitis.

That is a lovely loving disease and it royally sucks

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Looks like tampa has the canadiens beat, so....

WOAAAAAAAAAH, WE'RE HALFWAY THEEEERE

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

bunnyofdoom posted:

they have to lose out without getting more than one point (against pitt, cbj) while the bolts beat buffalo. toronto loses the tiebreaker if bolts beat buffalo in regulation/ot (assuming they do so against montreal tonight)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Powershift posted:

Looks like tampa has the canadiens beat, so....

WOAAAAAAAAAH, WE'RE HALFWAY THEEEERE

So they lose to New Jersey?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

fits posted:

they have to lose out without getting more than one point (against pitt, cbj) while the bolts beat buffalo. toronto loses the tiebreaker if bolts beat buffalo in regulation/ot (assuming they do so against montreal tonight)

I know I know. I was joking

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

So they lose to New Jersey?

Wait, you can LOSE to New Jersey now?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Powershift posted:

Was a Bon Jovi joke

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

Was a Bon Jovi joke

What's a bon jovi?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Powershift posted:

What's a bon jovi?

A type of candy thay tastes like sadness

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Powershift posted:

Of course you can. The Flyers have made it into an art form, really.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Uh oh Leafs

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Uh oh Leafs

WOAAAAAAAAAH, LIVIN ON A PRAYER

I'm sure they'll be fine, they only have to win 1 of their back to back games against 2 of the best teams in the league, or hope Tampa loses against one of the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
"playoff odds down 6.9 to 81.6%"

• Locked thread