Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I get not using him as much in ES because of his size but not using him on PP1 seems especially stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Apparently Mitch Marner had mono towards the end of the year, which explains some things

I thought he was just bored.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Habs signed this fella

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&pid=120313

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was probably a hope that Subban would get his poo poo together in Providence at some point, too. It's a shame, could have been fun if he'd worked out and they could have hyped up Subban vs Subban matchups.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah. I'm hesitant to call Malcolm a bust though. He's only 23, goalies are generally thought to be late bloomers unless they're uber talented, and there's probably a lot of weird pressure for him to be good because his brother is an all star. He's been good in Providence, but Zane McIntyre is overtaking him there, so it's hard to say what will happen with him.

I could see him being unprotected, and if he is, I say go for it to Vegas. Pretty minimal risk for a possible high reward.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is the attitude in Montreal that the GM has to speak french as well? I know they passed on a HC a while back because his french was either limited or non existent (I know it was a guy who'd had some success as NHL player but don't remember who).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, and I don't get why people think the coaching/GM having to speak French in Quebec is such a ridiculous concept. it's a bit limiting sure, but a big part of those two roles in communicating with the public and when you're not understood by half of your fanbase that's a real issue. Some people in Toronto speak French, I really doubt that the Leafs would hire an exclusively Francophone head coach.

Oh I understand why, especially when one considers how big interacting with the media has become when it comes to coaching or being an exec. Who was the HC I'm referring to though, do you remember?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 26, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

Felipe Alou was the manager of the Expos for some years and he never spoke any French. Very few people cared.

That's because nobody gave a gently caress about the Expos for most of his tenure, the strike killed the remaining interest that city had in the Expos. Plus I'd wager a lot of the people insisting on french speakers don't care about baseball to begin with.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 26, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Suspicious posted:

"Pick the best francophone(s) available in the draft" used to be a thing, at least for the first rounds anyway. Now it's "pick the best players available, who cares what language they speak."

Right now we're at "pick the best francophone(s) available for coach/GM". Could we please just fast forward to the inevitable second part?

When he was still really enthusiastic about hockey, I watched the draft every year with my dad. One of my most vivid memories was Bob McKenzie remarking that Montreal was really happy with their first 2 rounds, because they got Brad Brown with their 1st pick but were still able to get a French-Canadian player with their next pick. AT the time I didn't understand why that was important, I just figured every team tried to go for BPA according to their judgement, anyways.. Keep in mind I was 11 at the time.

In Montreal's defence, the player in question was Jose Theodore. However, they also picked Brad Brown. He wasn't even the best player named Brown available! Curtis Brown went #43 to Buffalo. OTOH, the bets player my guys drafted was Mike goddamned Peluso.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I've been looking at the UFA list and since I know Shattenkirk won't even consider Calgary, I think I want Del Zotto, Daley, and for Calgary to re-sign Stone. I guess they're pretty keen to sign Ben Bishop too, hopefully they re-sign Chad Johnson if that's the case, or Scott Darling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have any of you seen Hischier play? What do you figure his ceiling is?

Also is Heiskanen good enough to be ranked that high or is it just that bad of a draft class?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Stretch Marx posted:

Seems kind of okay which I guess is what you want in a bottom five or six.

Given the lack of great UFA's at D I can't blame them for trying to go elsewhere to shore up, really. Del Zotto and Daley wouldn't really help the Leafs with their problem at D that much and would assuredly cost more than this guy. Especially Del Zotto, who is young and probably wanting to get paid.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How would Leafs fans feel about using a trade of picks to shore up at D? The draft isn't terribly inspiring this year from what I've read here and elsewhere, and it's an obvious need.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Would it behoove the Avalanche then to trade down if they don't pick #1 or#2 (unlikely as that is)?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Yaya posted:

ZOOM

ENHANCE

Carl Soderberg does it again!

:golfclap:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I believe Calgary picks 19th or 20th?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

16th. They were the lowest seeded playoff team this year

They finished ahead of Nashville, so wouldn't it be 17th (some reason I thought Toronto had 93 pts and made it, they had 95)? They were WC 1, NSH was WC 2, so....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Nashville's gonna make the conference finals.

Isn't placement irrelevant unless you win the cup? I thought it was strictly standings.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's done a fine job after inheriting a mess.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

Best player is probably still Crosby.

But straight up MVP to his team is McDavid.

(Goalies shouldn't be nominated otherwise they should win the award every year)

I'm fine with goalies being nominated if they have a truly exceptional year and Bobrovsky did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

My vote would go to Price based on the Habs going division title-horrendous garbage fire-division title purely due to his health.

Columbus improved 32 pts largely because of Bobbo's play though, so it's not unreasonable to give him the nod

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A team that could use help defensively should give Columbus a call, maybe?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is it possible Lou re-signed Smith with the idea of leaving him unprotected?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

A smart team would take the better players that are unprotected.

McPhee might be smart enough to avoid Smith.

TBH, I have no idea what McPhee's rep is but I assume it isn't too bad because it's one of the few things SAS hasn't roasted the gently caress out of Vegas for since things got rolling with them.

Since this draft isn't all that deep I'm curious to see what Vegas does with their 1st pick since they didn't get a great one. Maybe Makar or Tippett?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 2, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think I like Nikita Zaitsev now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress, somebody just make Vancouver an offer on Jordan Subban, you'll probably come out ahead

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Considering the closest settlement of any size - Sudbury (a place where all the trees died from mining contamination) is 6 hours away, I don't blame him for thinking of ending it all.

Northern Ontario is very, very empty.

Thunder Bay is closer by about 45 minutes, and we have over 100K people. Giroux, along with Pronger and Mike Richards before he fell apart, is one of those guys people will claim is from here even though they're from other towns.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 4, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some of those names don't really belong up there. Like naming someone Davis has been around a long while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

nature6pk posted:

So I've spent the week at the Western Canadian Championships here in Penticton and Makar from Brooks Bandits, draft elligable this year, has been head and shoulders the best player here, in a tournament for 20 year olds. Sure, it's Junior A, but I've been very impressed with his skating and puck sense.

He's going in the top 10 most likely so this isn't news

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Other than their interest in Bishop, I wish I knew what Calgary had planned. I also hope the lawsuit doesn't kill their willingness to spend.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Calgary have fancystats people on the payroll?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

So Kovalchuk has confirmed that he wants to return to the NHL next season. Devils are allowing his agent to speak with other teams so that the Devils can do a sign and trade, assuming the deal works for NJ.

That could really help NJ if they get some picks. I wonder what teams feel he's worth, though, given that he's 34 and hasn't played in the NHL in 4 years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If one looks at how Sakic and Roy were great players and shithouse execs, Buffalo Sabres fans are in for one hell of a great ride.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

Bure having his knees taken out is one of the worst things...even after all those knee problems though he could still fly and burn people like it was nothing. It's just that one last knee injury pretty much broke him. loving Curtis Brown

in other news this makes me very mad

https://twitter.com/HartnettHockey/status/862679812393062400

gently caress off. You jackasses have been saying that for the past couple of years where you've embarrassed yourselves in the playoffs.

Do you really expect him to say "Yeah, we loving suck and they really need to trade me"?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not sure any of these beats Jeff Kent claiming he injured himself washing his truck only for it to come to light he actually got in a motorcycle accident and I think his contract forbade him riding motorcycles, as well

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Shattenkirk is not the type of D-Man Toronto needs, they need somebody who does the defensive part of their job well like Justin Braun or Chris Tanev.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Does Dallas have the ability to buy those schlubs out or are they stuck hoping Vegas takes one of 'em?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Apparently Swedish media is claiming Toronto's signed Phillip Holm (who also plays in the Swedish Elite Legaue). His numbers seem good but who knows if it'll translate or not. Can't help but wonder if the Leafs didn't grab Borgman too, with the idea of them looking at the UFA crop and thinking "None of these guys are what we want or need right now.." and deciding to go outside the NHL to help their D corps.

There's also this interview with Babcock

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/5/9/15598598/toronto-maple-leafs-mike-babcock-derren-dreger-hints-at-some-future-signings-from-europe

Same blog thinks Leafs should draft Hague.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 16, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/865282970264911873

A RHD. I'm sure he can't be worse than Kris Russell. :v:

He seems to move the puck well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure it's going to be Pens Vs Predators​, not sure how well they match up with all of Pittsburgh's injuries.

• Locked thread