Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I mean, I'm not sure that individual players care more about their counting stats than they do championships, but guys posting on message boards sure do.

It's not about what they care about. It's about who's better. Fleury is worse than about I'd say 75% of the goalies on the teams who made the playoffs, and if he'd been drafted by say, Carolina (who drafted right after Pittsburgh in Fleury's draft year), he'd probably be a backup at this point, if that. Fleury has had a few good regular seasons, and every time he has Pittsburgh didn't win a championship. Why, if I don't know better, I'd say he has rings because of the tremendous job Pittsburgh has done building the team in front of him. Because I'm pretty sure Toronto wouldn't have gifted Carolina Phil Kessel for next to nothing. Do you think it's a coincedence that he keeps having to fight like hell to get his job back from Matt Murray? Or better yet: would a defending champion be giving him away if he was as integral as you think he is, unless the franchise was doing a firesale, which they aren't?

Also you are dreaming if you don't think players don't care about their stats, a lot of their bonuses and whatnot are directly tied in to their numbers. At the end of the day they care about making money just as much as they do about winning cups, and some care more about the money.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

grack posted:

Doan was investigating the team for ties to Russia?

If it were Quebec I'd buy it. He doesn't much care for francophones....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Objectively, the guy in question beat 2 of the Vizena finalists head to head on these playoffs, so I gotta question not only your math, but your conclusion.

Chris Osgood "beat" a lot of goalies in the 90's. Doesn't make him a good goalie, just means the Red Wings were terrific.

I like how you keep ignoring that they'd literally prefer to give him away for NOTHING than keep him. Tell me about all the Vezina finalists whose teams would rather see them not be on the team at all than keep them.

Tell you what: If MAF is drafted to Vegas, and he posts a SV pct of .912 or higher (his SV pct the first time the Pens won the cup and he got his name on the trophy), I'll change my username to something of your choice, and keep it for one NHL season. :toxx:

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 20, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

My argument hasn't changed at all from the start. I'm not sure why you guys get so angry that you go straight to ad hom, but lol

Because you're being willfully ignorant

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

No, I;m just applying a different "objective" standard than the one you're using to prove a point, and it instantly turned you uncivil. I wonder why that is

At no point did I call you a name until you asked "jeez guys why the harsh tones" and even then, I called it as I saw it. The Penguins are still giving away a supposedly great goalie. A Typical Goon is correct, you're using a team's performance in front of a goalie to prove his "excellence" and you've ignored things like "His team doesn't want him", "His numbers are average at best most of the time", "Bad goalies have won cups and even been part of dynasties".

What I don't understand is why you're so convinced. The guy's been on thin ice with Pens org. how many times? Jesus, he almost lost his job to Tomas Vokoun when Vokoun was 37. They're finally getting rid of him, for NOTHING, not even getting a pick back because they were dumb enough to give him a NTC, which is the only reason he's lasted this long, and you're still like "Nope, he's totally great". Your logic seems to be "But he has a lot of wins and cups!", and so do lots of mediocre goalies. Antti Niemi, Chris Osgood, Corey Crawford. All won cups, all mediocre.

The following's a list of talented goalies, some of whom are HOF worthy, who have never won a cup. They're all better than Fleury.

Curtis Joseph
Sean Burke
Miikka Kiprusoff
Roberto Luongo
Henrik Lundqvist
Carey Price
Cory Schneider
Tony Esposito

Cups/Championships are a poor indicator of individual talent. Take a look at this list of players who never won a cup and tell me it's actually their fault http://www.thehockeyfanatic.com/2016/04/top-20-nhl-players-to-never-win-a-stanley-cup/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Powershift posted:

The new Canucks jersey leaked.

A little dark, but really suits the team.

Nice of Luca Sbisa to take time out of his schedule to model the new jersey

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

they're tanking

Wouldn't tanking involve grabbing Sheahan?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Hey I've been out, have we talked about Ryan Suter getting a 2nd place Hart vote yet?

Didn't even notice. I think that's ridiculous, and I'm a guy who talked up Suter as a legit Norris candidate.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Lost in all of this is that Bergevin has made 2 intelligent moves in the last week, which means he'll trade Galchenyuk to Colorado for Francois Beauchemin or some poo poo.

Checks and balances.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 22, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Toronto should have been on that poo poo, their D is almost as bad as Montreal's. Hell, as a Flames fan I'd welcome him back, especially for a 5th gatdang rounder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

stab posted:

Seriously

I would trade emelin and a 5th for schlemko in a heartbeat

How much does schlemko make anyways? Is he as bad (lol not possible) as Emelin?

A buddy called him "Craig Rivet but with less offense." Is he close?

Shclemko makes 2.1M, and he's a decent 2nd pairing guy. Bergevin committed highway robbery, IMO. Shclemko is underrated because he does his job but doesn't do anything spectacularly.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

who's gonna sign Dan Girardi

I'm worried Calgary will, they need a defenceman and the UFA D crop mostly stinks outside of Shatty. Hopefully they re-sign Stone, I liked what I saw after the trade. I could see Montreal or NJ offering him a deal, also.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
7 years 10M/per seems reasonable to me. He's obviously better than almost everybody, with maybe the exception of Crosby and Kane (and I'd probably prefer McDavid for non-hockey reasons even if Kane WAS better) but you don't want to limit your ability to add players, especially when your D and forward depth still need some help.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dickish as it sounds, I don't disagree with the last answer he gave, trying to emulate teams' very specific brand of success can absolutely be a recipe for disaster.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm hoping the rumour of Calgary being interested in Dumba or Bordin is true, less so Scandella although he's still an upgrade over Wideman

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Detroit is apparently in on Hamonic for no reason whatsoever and will surely offer young useful players in return.

Also Todd Nelson a candidate in Arizona when Detroit should probably fire Blashill and lock Nelson up instead.

Wow, Arizona's not loving around.

Also isn't D a huge issue for Detroit? Wouldn't Hamonic be a nice upgrade from yahoos like Quincey?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Most of them are Canadian and can't vote in US elections.

Dual citizens can vote.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Do many actually seek citizenship though?

Generally you don't want to because then the US fucks with your income forever.

I imagine if they have families they might, simply because it's easier on the kids to not have to move around all the time. I know Antonio Davis had dual citizenship for the period where he played for the Raptors, largely because his kids were still fairly young and in elementary school.

Of course, I also remember him saying he was a bit relieved when Chicago traded for him, not because he disliked being a Raptor, but because he didn't like that his kids were learning metric.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

a false posted:

lmao what if they use it on rasmussen

Seen a couple mocks saying Mittelstadt at #7 but NYR having the pick may change that.

Is Rasmussen considered a likely bust or something, or is he just a project?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

YEAAAAHHHHH BRRRUUUUUDDDAAAA

Edit: Should probably find out what they're giving up first....

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 24, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Porrima posted:

Is "cal" like Calgary? Thought CAR was Carolina and CGY was calgary. Then again, I do not understand official NHL trade tracker "CHE" for Switzerland either.

I assume it it's Calgary because they were previously reported as being interested in Hamonic, along with Toronto.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/878628558331142144

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I love the advanced stuff, but the charts without context and explanation are kinda useless. I think this means Stepan wasn't good but I am not sure.

it's great. too bad they're backstopped by Elliot and Smith. What a bleh trade by the Isles. Hamonic was on a great deal too.

Nashville has a rad top 4

Elliot's not staying, we'll probably use Gillies or sign a UFA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Thrilled about Hambone, curious how we fill out the corps. Re-sign Stone and call up Rasmus Andersson, maybe?

• Locked thread