Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Xtanstic posted:

Smashville understands the value of d-men

And Doiron understands the value of used-up ex-Senators.

Everyone give a warm welcome back to Carrie Underwood's Husband!

e: oh and I almost forgot, the job of selling Senators tickets is now being done by a guy who used to do this job in another market. Unfortunately for us, the job of selling Leafs tickets to Toronto fans could be done by a moldy, one-sided slice of bologna, so it's not clear how effective he's actually going to be here.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Ceci played 448 minutes of hockey and had 1 point.

:eng101: One point for.

Fun fact: The Sens' playoff run this year had two fewer minutes of hockey than the year they went to the SCF.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Nicholle Anderson found out the morning of game 7 that she was cancer-free. Who cares if he doesn't get to hold the cup, the guy gets to hold his wife.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

A 58 60 game season would let every team play every other team, once at home and once away.

BUT MAH RIVALRIES

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Why did they think it necessary to write a book about one season of Patrick Roy's coaching?

If someone told you for the first time that Patrick Roy coached an NHL hockey team, would you let that fact go without a followup question?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Well now I have to hear VanDenBussche's version

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gee I can't see why a punchman wouldn't have much fun playing against one of the best defensemen in hockey.

Non-issue.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jyrki, Jokippaka your bags. The Sens aren't re-signing you and, well, if you can't crack the Flames or the Sens roster as a defenseman then maybe NHL hockey's not your thing.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

And in the particular case of Scott Gomez...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

xzzy posted:

Pfft, 90 minutes. You're looking at 2 hours or more once you factor in traffic. :v:

Getting to the united center is a loving chore.

*pant pant pant* did someone push the senators button what did i miss

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

DJExile posted:

I really wish I'd have been a fly on the wall for that whole exchange. It sounds entertaining as all hell.

[eakins-whiteboard.jpg]

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Oh dear god no. They can barely tell if a skate is touching the ice, can you imagine a ref trying to determine if some dude's skate blade hovering two feet off the ice is actually over the blue line or not with a playoff OT goal on the line?

Why not, they do it with pucks being over a goal line. Put a camera overtop of the blue line, if the back of dude's skate isn't conclusively over the line before the puck is, he's onside.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe, but it's still very, very had to determine and the number of times there's a question as to whether the puck is over the line and off the ice pales in comparison to the number of times an attacker will go offside with his foot in the air. I general I hate subjectivity in reviews, and this is just adding an element to them that we don't need that's just going to further slow things down. The Forsberg offside was stupid, but at least the rule is black and white as to what counts or not. Adding a huge floating grey area doesn't help anything in terms of eliminating these infuriating delays from reviews.

:agreed: If you're going to have the rule, have the rule be on some incontrovertible condition that can't be argued. The puck either completely crossed the plane of the goal line or it did not, and if you can't conclusively see the official was wrong then the call stands. That works for goals, why can't offsides that lead to goals be subjected to a similar standard? "A player who is not both in possession and in control of the puck is offside if, while the puck is not in the attacking zone, any part of both feet completely crosses the blue line", something like that, maybe a little extra for a guy who's sliding on his rear end and interferes with the play while he would be offside, or had his prosthetic foot fall off in the neutral zone or whatever I dunno, rulebooks are weird and it's expected that players and coaches are going to find ways to pervert them to do weird things to gameplay.

ThinkTank posted:

Oh yeah, the best outcome is to do away with the coach's challenge entirely but the league seems unwilling to do so despite it being wildly unpopular with fans. Matt Duchene being offside by a country mile one time does not warrant all this faffing around with iPads.

:agreed::agreed:

e: also lol that we're spending so much time discussing the subjectivity/objectivity of offsides when refs just up and take entire periods off.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 7, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Don't play hockey if you don't want to be victimized by the existing culture's poo poo opinions about... Oh wait that is going to be a problem isn't it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/nhl/well-just-leave-brian-burkes-blunt-words-on-calgary-arena-situation-disavowed-by-flames

In what has been the bluntest talk yet about the future of the Calgary Flames, president of hockey operations Brian Burke said the NHL team will move if a new arena is not built.

“We’re not going to make the threat to leave. We’ll just leave,” Burke told a business luncheon at the Canadian Club of Calgary on Wednesday.

“We still have a building that was built in 1983, the oldest in the league by more than 10 years.

“They figured it out in Edmonton, where they know that a new building can rejuvenate the downtown. But I guess we’re just smarter than that here.”

But in the hours after Burke’s comments were published online, Ken King, Flames president and CEO, issued a statement saying Burke is not the club’s spokesman on the new arena and that the Flames are still committed to working with the city towards a solution.

A professional sports franchise in [what is here] a major sport begging/extorting for tax dollars is idiotic. The last guy and the guy before him and the guy before him got free poo poo but guess what, it was a bad idea then too and it has to stop somewhere.

Also it's just precious that Burke literally thinks that the Calgary Flames are just going to pick up and move.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Fateo McMurray posted:

gently caress the NHL, gently caress the pens, gently caress sports

See you in October, then?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

The salary cap didn't solve anything

Giving Jay Feaster and Don Maloney less money to work with sounded like a good idea on paper.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

MononcQc posted:

it replaced "teams without money can't compete" with "teams that can't manage contracts can't compete"

2003 Blues: Spent $62 million, eliminated in round one
2005 Blues: Spent $28 million, finished dead last

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gio posted:

that, or crosby-malkin and toews-kane. superstar players dominate like they always have.

Yakupov-RNH

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The Ottawa Hockey Karlssons protect list

Erik Karlsson.

I'm goin on break.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

stab posted:

Where be the trades and insanity

Can't do squat till the draft.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

"Hm I guess the system made him look better than he was"

- Everyone who's ever traded value for a Senators defenseman

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Scott Darling wrote a great Players Tribune article. It goes through his journey from overcoming alcoholism, to climbing through dozens of minor league teams, to winning the Stanley Cup, to leaving Chicago. It's well worth a read.

All PT articles are great, including this one.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

stab posted:

why would you protect a UFA

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/SensChirp/status/874781226976104448

Oh boy it's this discussion again

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Kalenn Istarion posted:

There was an offer sheet mentioned about Holmgren, but what is an offer sheet in the context of the NHL and why did it make him a crazy man?

A team is allowed to offer a contract to another team's restricted free agents, which that player's current team must either match the offer and keep the player for at least one year, or let the player go in exchange for compensation in the form of draft picks commensurate with the player's salary (and the signing team's draft position, of course). It's a dick move because it forces the player's current team to either pay money they might not have, or trade a player they'd rather keep for picks they don't want that probably won't turn into useful players anyway.

Oh hey I have to type faster

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Sometimes they result in Brian Burke trying to rent a barn to stage a fist fight so really someone needs to offer sheet Sam Bennett.

If offer sheets make him unhappy then maybe he should've become a swimmer.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/walsha/status/875078910962089984

gently caress the Penguins and all that but man, that MAF guy is a guy who is a good guy.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Why on earth would a player willing to go to Montreal also be willing to go to Edmonton?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I know nothing about typefaces and even I think those serifs look like trash.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah, usually it's the European guy infecting the Black Hawk guy to get what they want.

:stare:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pretty sure it was the Leafs, but Murray agreed to take it to get us away from Cowen, so in a way we're all responsible.

I predict Methot will look bad.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

bub spank posted:

If Vegas is just going to flip Methot it makes Dorion's inability to get anything in a trade before the freeze even more inexcusable.

I still think it's not entirely fair to say "Vegas got that trade done so my GM could've too" because of the whole expansion draft thing, but I really don't know much about Pierre Dorion, Hockey GM, so both of these things could well be true.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Later we learned that Lou'd been dead for weeks, and Tom Barrasso had been wearing his skin as a mask.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If I remember correctly, he called someone on his own team the N word, and not in a joking around dumb teenager way

I thought I'd read something about him getting in poo poo once for abusing officials, but Google set me straight.

It was twice.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

a false posted:

talk about an offensive defenseman!!!!

this I like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003