Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I turn 34 on April 26th and they've only missed the playoffs three times since then. Oh and their solution to missing in '82? Drafting Steve fuckin' Yzerman.

The Detroit Red Wings Will Win The Draft Lottery

sedative posted:

https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/848316155584421888

This just happened. He's alert they're taking him off on a stretcher.

I hope he's ok because this is pro av material

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/anthonyzych/status/848229988004499457

This is the guy who did all those CBJ game day posters last season, so if you liked those and your team's going to the playoffs, you might get some sweet artwork.

Why couldn't you have done this literally any of the last 25 years you dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I can't wait for all the hand-wringing when players go to the Olympics and the previous pro-Olympics fans are calling into question their players' integrity and dedication when they up and leave their teams for two weeks a month and a half before the playoffs

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The best two weeks of the Red Wings season when every other team is missing half their guys and the wings lose Abdelkader

Can it actually be the Olympics every day asking for a friend

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

There's not wrong with the loser point if they move to a 3-point system

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Riley "Defensively Responsible" Sheahan

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Wings are gonna pick like 12th and I'm gonna blow my brains out

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Roslovic, Kiefer Sherwood, and Kuraly were all teammates at Miami last season :eng101:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 6, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

jacob chychrun on the other hand looks like a grown rear end man

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/850542127578787844

How nice of the Habs to help the Wings get a win for their last game at The Joe. :)

santanotreal posted:

It's not their last game at the Joe. Tomorrow they play the Devils at home.

Keep fuckin up that draft slot boyos

yellowcar posted:

It can be a Two Bad Teams game and have goals galore! :)

Somebody hasn't watched the Wings or Devils this season.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

My favorite thing about that is about how crappy Doc Emrick's call was.

Sky blue, water wet, etc

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

i am the bird posted:

I don't think there's any way they fire him going into the new arena or right after Illitch died. He probably finishes out his contract and then moves on to President of Hockey and Pizza Operations or whatever the gently caress next year.

Or he just stays until he dies because he has no desire to give up the power and no one in the organization has the balls to tell him to gently caress off

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

santanotreal posted:

N: Chris Illitch announced his confidence in Ken Holland today. Hooray...

V: :tif:

in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUPYQCL-mEA

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

While we're on the subject of things that don't have a point

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

is it controversial of me to ask you if you're just a lovely poster or a born good poster who is transitioning

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I wonder if you post in a toilet

DJExile posted:

The East Coast Hockey League has teams in Idaho and Colorado. The American Hockey League has Canadian teams. Sometimes things like this happen.

Sports Argument Stadium is not currently discussing sports nor is it an actual physical structure for holding events discuss

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 12, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Just chiming in to say gently caress Ken Holland sideways with a acid-soaked, fire ant-infested cactus

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I don't nearly have the energy nor resolve to type up the full effortpost that this rightfully deserves but Ken Holland is a jackass who has never done a drat thing for this team that wasn't already done, or could've been done, by anyone else that's been in the organization since the day he showed up. As time passes, he continues to prove himself, perhaps apocryphally but most likely not, to be a stubborn glory hog who cares more about his perceived legacy than the actual future of this team. Yzmeran is a what-if to be sure, and circumstances are definitely not the same as they were in Tampa but three things are 100% for sure:

1) Holland destroyed this team and put them in a huge hole that could very well rival '56-'91
2) Steve Yzerman would've absolutely done a better job, regardless of how minor that improvement would've been
3) Steve Yzerman will never be the GM of the Red Wings unless he's fired from Tampa and even then I'd put the odds drat close to zero

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Go to cap friendly and look at their roster in 2024 and honestly with a straight face tell me that even if they do choose to finally blow it up and do a proper rebuild, that they'll be anything more than a first round sacrificial lamb by like 2030 the absolute earliest, just as they've been the last few years and doubtful they'd be much better for a few years following barring some incredible luck.

e: I did say, paraphrasing myself, "quite possibly." all it takes is a few bad hires and some lovely draft picks, and that 2030 could be 2040. Not to mention that if that stuff about Chris and the Illitch family are actually true, this could be a full blown reverse Wirtz situation

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 19, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

true facts put that on a snapple cap

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

imagine if this team had actually drafted loving chychrun

imagine a real defensive prospect in the pipeline

imagine

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Where are you pulling these years from? Nothing in the NHL in 2030 is going to be recognizable based on now.

We probably should be on our 4th lockout by then so anything's possible

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Koopa Kid posted:

He absolutely did! He stopped posting after people got on him about stealing their jokes for his lovely columns

r-lam was actually a cool and good poster who is actually probably the best writer on puck daddy (though that is a pretty low bar to clear) completely independent of the justified reason you have said that caused him to leave

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Loqieu posted:

R-lam is alright if you're fine with incessantly snarky writing by a person who can't enjoy anything.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

does that mean goons are actually the best hockey writers around?

sounds about right

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

iospace posted:

NOW ACCEPTING TITLES FOR THE NEW LOSERS, QUOTE THIS WITH IDEAS

50 years a slave

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

No one is allowed to be fired until Holland goes first

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

14 points in 80 games that's almost riley sheahan bad

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If some still thinks draft lotteries are a good idea I invite you to kiss this dilz

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

CommaToes posted:

This draft lottery thing is entertaining, but it takes out much of the motivation for tanking.

If we keep this up, then teams will WANT to improve.

Imagine how boring it'd be to have 31 teams all fighting for 16 playoff spots.

No it doesn't

No they won't

Imagine a world where tanking actually isn't a problem and all the hand wringing over a completely viable and not-nearly-as-prevalent-as-perceived strategy causes reactionary rule changes that actually make things worse and makes it even harder for perennially lovely teams to get better because .500 teams get higher draft picks than a team that loses 60 games!!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

They are actually dealing with two because they're currently living in the one where tanking and the draft are problems that need to be fixed

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The draft is unethical from a labor standpoint, but sports leagues don't operate under the same laws of reality because they are encouraged to enforce parity for entertainment purposes and the most effective way to do that is to let the bad teams have the first crack at the best incoming players!!

If law firms were essentially forced to ideally be relatively equally effective and competitive, maybe there would be a lawyer draft and the valedictorian of Harvard law might have to spend 3 years in Wyoming, but nobody is buying tickets to go sit in for Cheyenne traffic court so

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 30, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The schadenfreude ship already sailed when the Oilers stole McDavid

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

It does because without a draft, it would be baseball where the Rangers/Chicago/Toronto/Detroit/Montreal/Pittsburgh would have the biggest salaries and the other teams would basically exist purely as feeder teams that compete once or twice a decade

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm really digging the contrarian counter-counter-counter culture in this thread that wants to defend ridiculous poo poo like a child having to spend at least the first 18 years of his life with a name like Krz because "you're just like, old, man!!"

As someone with a pretty ridiculous last name, let me assure you that if my parents had actually chosen that, I would've spent my entire childhood lifting weights and my 18th birthday present would've been to beat the poo poo out of them with my bare hands.

It's a goddamn person, not a loving hermit crab.

e:

Stretch Marx posted:

I don't care if a kid's name is spelled Krz in place of Cruise as long as the kid I say Cruise to responds. If he wants to change it's spelling in the future is his prerogative. If it's a clerical thing to worry about, that's what copy/paste is for.

He'll respond to the 40th substitute teacher who asks "Is there a...'Krrr..iizzzz" here?" But not after rolling his eyes, sighing, and being driven ever closer to a life of skinning prostitutes.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 6, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

rangers are a dumb butt team and AV is a dumb butt coach that the rangers are stuck with because every other option available would literally be a nightmare in comparison

That is seriously one of the most embarrassing series losses I've ever seen. The Rangers scored first in 5? games, blew two late leads and lost those games in OT, gave up another GWG late in the third, and came back from down 0-2 (when it should've been at least 1-1 if not 2-0) only to blow game 5 and lose game 6 at home. For all intents and purposes, that could've been a sweep and instead the team that was outplayed for a solid 80% of that series isn't even pushed to 7.

e: also lol ottawa in the ECF this playoff format tho

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

When Brendan Smith was presenting himself to the seats behind the net on that second goal, I had a nice soft chuckle to myself, followed by a deep sigh, and then weeping softly into my hands

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

He was almost directly responsible for all 3 goals last night iirc. Personally I think he loving sucks but if he comes in for under 3 mil a year I guess I'm ok with it depending on term.

My feelings are still to raw for an "I told you so"

Check back with me after Holland fucks the draft up when I'm filled with rage and need to take it out on a stranger

e: also lol if you don't think Holland is bringing Smith back for 4y16m

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 10, 2017

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

a false posted:

i think we've seen enough of him where it's more likely whatever he did in game 6 was an aberration than everything prior to that being an aberration.

Considering that the Ottawa series, and last night specifically, is more in line with how he played most of his career in Detroit, I'd say it's probably more likely that literally the opposite is true

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To be completely fair, having Tanner Glass on that ice to protect a 1-goal lead in the waning minutes of a playoff game is alarming. Doing it three times in a series with the same result is about as close as you can get to a legitimate fireable offense

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yellowcar posted:

I would take Eberle at 6M over Abdelkader at 4.25M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Ville Leino was once traded for Ole Kristian Tollefson and a 6th round pick.

That painting is how I feel like I look when I think about that trade.

• Locked thread