Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I am not ready for Playoff Posters though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Today's Preds/Blues game is going to decide who gets 3rd in the central, I think.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

Ugh, I went back to the 94 tournament to see who the leading scorers were and man this is gonna suck:

code:
	Name				Games	Goals	Assists	Points
1	Slovakia Zigmund Palffy		8	3	7	10
2	Slovakia Miroslav Satan		8	9	0	9
3	Slovakia Peter Stastny		8	5	4	9
4	Sweden Haakan Loob		8	4	5	9
5	Italy Gates Orlando		7	3	6	9
6	Sweden Patrik Juhlin		8	7	1	8
7	Czech Republic Jiri Kucera	8	6	2	8
8	Austria Marty Dallman		7	4	4	8
9	Finland Mika Nieminen		8	3	5	8
10	United States David Sacco	8	3	5	8
11	Sweden Peter Forsberg		8	2	6	8
I'm legitimately bummed. The 98 Olympics are one of my earliest solid hockey memories. They really helped solidify my love for the sport (Marc Crawford's bonehead decisions aside). I just can't get excited for a glorified World Championships.

You don't want to see the next Gates Orlando light up the Olympics?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

In another twist to this whole dumbass saga, apparently Vladdy Sobotka is coming back to the Blues this year and signing an extension.

https://twitter.com/jprutherford/status/849999020386910209

I fully expect him to be total garbage. I think this also means the Blues are going to bribe Vegas to take Lehtera.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol this is going to end with Sobotka being injured most of the time, I imagine.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Are the Wild good again? Or are they still playing very poorly?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Wolves won in OT. Good times

How did Jake Walman look? I think he's going to be a stud in the NHL in a year or two

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Vladdy Sobotka scored in his first game back and I'm ready for him to go one some weird playoff PPG run

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

In not me whining about the Canucks news: The Panthers have given up on analytics and rehired Dale Tallon as GM

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/dale-tallon-named-panthers-general-manager/c-288637636

The Panthers never looked bad to me. I think they just need better d-men.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Congrats CAS

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/851465688485122048

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I wonder how Seguin feels about Hitch coming in. On the one hand, he will probably stabilize the Stars, one the other hand, they don't have enough defenders who can play the type of game he wants. Might be a disaster.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Hitch should ask Nill to trade for Bouwmeester or Gunnarsson for defensive help imo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

When is Benning going to be on the hot seat? Is it possible for him to gently caress up the draft so much that he needs to start updating his CV?

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^ :whitewater:

quote:

“If Holland was competent enough to figure out that the rebuild is going to take more than a year, then maybe they could possibly trust him with all of his years of experience and all of his connections,” said one person who used to work for the Ilitches and requested anonymity for fear of retribution. “Maybe he could do a good job of having a turnaround in three to five years. But he is absolutely against it. He wants, like, a one-year turnaround. Which means he’s probably going to go and blow money on old veteran players and his usual crap. So I just, I think it’s one of those things where they know he’s not going to change and he hasn’t really been forced to change in the past.”

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Cap recapture is very, very good in this Blues fan's opinion

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Which of the Hawks players are going to get taken now? Kruger?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I hope Colorado, as a Central division member and Stan Kroenke-owned team, sucks rear end forever

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That seems like a ton of term to give to Zaitsev

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

This team does not have a drat clue how to fix their goaltending problems. Godddamn this set of moves is just terrible.

Yeah, this seems like kind of a ridiculous deal.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Blues lost David Backes, Troy Brouwer (lol), Brian Elliott, and Kevin Shattenkirk, were without Robby Fabbri and still made it to the second round. Next year they should be back that far and probably to the WCF, especially if they can replace Bortuzzo and/or Gunnarsson with one or multiple of Jordan Schmaltz, Jake Walman, and Vince Dunn.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

they got Something for him, which is better than the Nothing they were going to get if they didn't trade him. (however, multiple reports were that if Shatty wasn't hell-bent on going to a team north of Virginia, the Blues could have gotten A Thing for him in exchange.)

but real talk: the farm system looks to be producing again and Tage Thompson is being groomed to be a top centerman of the future. basically go for a 1/2C in the FA market, pray Bouw or Perron gets picked up by Vegas, and it's fine. (and I missed your posting in the GDTs, there were times i needed your help.)

Jordan Kyrou went absolutely nuts in the OHL this year with a terrible team. I haven't heard how he looked in Chicago, but he might be that wildcard prospect who pans out that the Blues desperately need.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Why do we want Bouw to get picked up by Vegas? I thought he was excellent this year in the playoffs. Just age?

His contract isn't great and he's getting older. Ideally Vegas is bribed to take Lehtera, but I don't know if that will happen.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Really, though, if the Blues PP was even half-way competent against Nashville, the series is still going probably.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

fits posted:

steen played the whole playoffs with a broken foot

He was pretty ineffective, particularly against Nashville. I wish the narrative would switch from "Wow what a warrior this guy is" to "What a selfish teammate" since a number of healthy scratches would've been able to contribute more.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I know teams have a couple of assistant coaches to run the D, forwards, and goalies, but do any teams employ someone exclusively for the PP or PK? Usually it's delegated to an existing coach, but if neither of those coaches are any good at PP or PK, what's stopping a team from hiring a dude to focus specifically on special teams?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's not confirmed, but it confirms what my eyes were telling me the last couple months of the season: Tarasenko has been hurt

quote:

Will he or won’t he? The coach of Russia’s national team said Monday that Blues forward Vladimir Tarasenko wouldn’t be coming to the world championships, which are underway in Europe, because he needs surgery.

There was no confirmation from the Blues about their leading scorer and franchise foundation. Tarasenko’s North American-based agent, Mike Liut, said that more would be known after Tarasenko’s medical exam, which was expected early in the week.

I always thought his wrists/hands were injured sometime in March/April and teams kept on slashing him there like punks which probably contributed to his lack of offense in the playoffs.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

It's gonna be really funny when Bishop gets hurt a month in and they gotta ride Lehtonen and...Jack Campbell?? I don't even know who their AHL goalie is.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Every time a Central Division foe handicaps themselves is a good thing imo

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Really glad the Blues traded Chris Pronger to Edmonton for Eric Brewer and like a 2nd round pick because the owner was too cheap to keep him.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

At some point the Caps just can't be so ridiculously deep though. There are weaknesses in their forward group, for sure, but I struggle to think of a deeper team in the league in terms of the talent they can ice on all four lines. Pittsburgh and Chicago, I guess? At some point, basically this offseason really, it's just not going to be feasibly anymore and they're going to need to plug in more AHL guys who maybe aren't as good.

Agreed on Carlson, although I don't think he'll net as much as Larsson did. It just feels like that trade was such an anomaly that you can't use it as a basis for "you should give us X for Carlson because New Jersey got Taylor Hall for Larsson" - yknow?

The Hawks are the opposite of a deep team which is why they got wrecked by the Preds. Maybe a couple years ago, but definitely not now or in the near future.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Shatty is a great Phil Housley for a team that can afford that luxury.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

They're splitting between the Blues and Knights. Which is bullshit but whatever. Hopefully Stillman makes enough money to buy an AHL team so the Wolves can go do whatever they want

Nevermind. The Wolves are gonna be pretty bad next year and I guess a bunch of teams are going to get some real good prospects on loan from the Blues.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

JAIL

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Don: Raghr wargh whatsis sposta be a good Canadian kid, dressed like I dunno, wouldn't see Bobby Orr come to the rink, every day... I tell them... I used to tell my guys gotta look sharp

Ron: "Like you"

Don: Well they can't all look this sharp but you're makin millions of dollars, and yer dressed like a... one of those, well this isn't the NBA you're traveling and you're representing Canada you gotta make it look good not walk around lookin like THAT, time for Matthew Adam to grow up!

the funny thing is the NBA is now easily the best dressed league in terms of pre/post-game outfits

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

What is Steve Ott going to coach any of them about aside from chirping?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

ThinkTank posted:

I feel like this is a good time to remind people that Steve Ott races power boats and named his son Maverick (after the basketball team - I'm not kidding). The Blues are in good hands with a renegade like that in charge.

This is actually good as hell.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

lol, Lehtera not even good enough to make that starting lineup

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Well that is a nice comparison contract for Colton Parayko. Parayko's obviously better, but I was worried he'd end up over $6M.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

If anyone pays more than a 2nd for Seabrook I will lose my mind

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The Dirty Burger posted:

This prompted me to take a look at the Preds roster, and who the hell is Calle Jarnkrok's agent? 6 years at $2mil/yr when you're 24 seems really bad, those are your prime years to cash in

Didn't Detroit keep him in the minors forever? How long is his RFA status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Is there any incentive for teams not to go nuts handing out bad contracts? It seems like either the league or some other dumbass GM or the player himself are more than willing to bail you out.

• Locked thread