Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Powershift posted:

The wild are 1-3 in the season series against chicago. caps are 2-2 against the pens with with 35 total goals in those 4 games, 2-2 against the jackets with a game tomorrow for the season series.

A caps-pens series would be some good ol' timey hockey. It would be nice to see the caps win it there in 7 and be dead tired for the Canadiens coming from the other side of the bracket. Then Canadiens win there, oilers on the other side, oilers win the cup, habs fans burn down the city.

I'd be OK with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/848737228524318720

Ovie left his feet and it was at least the fourth big hit the Dispatch guys counted on Werenski (Wilson x2, Kuznetzov), but it may not warrant anything additional.

Momentum caused him to leave his skates. Good hockey play!

Or give him some pre-playoffs rest with a suspension, w/e

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/848891611643731968

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I enjoyed this regular check as well.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/849791277927452672

At least they're not limping into the playoffs this year, but I am getting nervous as the playoffs get closer.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

StubHub is showing that first round tickets for the games in Columbus are significantly more expensive than in Pittsburgh. :confused:

If I didn't have to work and had more confidence in my team, my rear end might have taken a road trip.

https://www.stubhub.com/columbus-blue-jackets-tickets/performer/6350/

Caps are even cheaper right now: https://www.stubhub.com/washington-capitals-tickets/performer/762/

I hate doing the playoff ticket dance. Do you wait for the elimination games? Do you hold your money for later rounds and risk not going to any games? How many games do you go to? What if you're a jinx?

$50 is basically regular season prices though. I guess I should go in early.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

For that much money I got a regular season package against CBJ with unlimited food, unlimited booze, and this view.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Oh and for cord-cutters like me who were eyeballing Playstation Vue for playoff watching: it works really well. I get NBC Sports and CSN Atlantic, which I think should keep me covered for the playoffs? Quality is a big step up from lovely streams on reddit.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

That view probably literally stank.

Could not smell, but following the on-ice action did indeed stink.

I will happily return to the upper bowl slums for the playoffs so I can actually watch the action instead of throwing suggestive looks at Nick Backstrom all game.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Pls don't

Hoping leafs can get their poo poo together tonight against a 'weak' pens roster so it doesn't matter.

Babs said the team's in good shape because they had a lovely morning skate and they had a good morning skate before getting destroyed by the lightning so the karma balances out.

:negative:

Aw come on, he was making a joke.

In other news, if the Capitals play like this in the playoffs I will be very excited.

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/850818933879951361

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Went to the Caps-Cats game... I feel like this was a preview of what happens when Oshie leaves and it made me sad.

But then I saw Jagr's glorious mane and all was right with the world again.

Toronto pulling the lucky card as our first round opponent was neato too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah it's hard to judge the flyers against the standings right now because the caps are in god mode and the Pens were world killers when half the roster wasn't dead

And the Devils and to a lesser extent the Canes are butt. How does that make the Flyers anything other than bad?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

That article mentioned the NBA ratings were down too.

It's so easy to just stream games now whether legally or not. Ratings will probably continue to suck across the board for anything not the NFL.

How bad will things have to get before they even consider making streaming (especially home games) easy and straightforward? I got PS Vue just for the playoffs, but I'm still paying more for poo poo I don't need. I know the cable bundling makes them money hand over fist, but I have this money and I want to give it to them and it's stupidly hard.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

Ala carte channels will never happen. The channels you want subsidize the ones you don't. The theory is that enough people watch at least one channel in a package that they all make money.

If you got only the stuff you wanted, the whole TV economy would fall apart.

It's not channels though, it's just creating a streaming product. I don't want CSN Mid-Atlantic, I just want Caps games on my streaming devices. gently caress the TV economy.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/AmalieBenjamin/status/856952611911725056

That makes sense.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah you're right Lamoriello has never made a bad move *sweeps list of every NJD roster from 2010 to now under the rug*

2014*

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThinkTank posted:

Reddit officially justified its existence with the post of the century last night:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/67lfcg/should_the_nhl_have_the_hawks_and_preds_redo/

If the Caps lose to the Penguins again I am definitely calling for a do-over. It's only fair, they won the President's Trophy!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Hello darkness my old friend.

e: Oshie was the only shining light in that game. Going to miss that dude.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

VJeff posted:

He shanked like 3 solid gold scoring chances.

He was also all over the ice making plays on and off the puck. Didn't really notice anyone else doing poo poo.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

As a Caps and Devils fan, I have to say, gently caress hockey for the next five years, probably.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

https://twitter.com/MartyBannister/status/862483125422698497

Seriously though, are there people who still question the guy's desire to win? Look at him after he scores literally every goal, you can't fake that.

:ohdear: can you?

The will to win argument is definitely bullshit.

I think you can definitely make an argument that his performance as a player has deteriorated and that his style of play does not age well. He lost a step on the rush years ago and at least on the eye test he's taken steps back in terms of possession. He still has value as a stationary cannon that you can use on the powerplay and in certain 5v5 situations. And I don't disagree that his contract is going to look pretty awful on the tail end, but that's what happens with blockbuster contracts.

The people calling to trade him though are just idiots. He's still a lovable face for the franchise and also who the gently caress is going to trade for him? And to what end? They've traded enough picks and young guys at this rate that it's going to be years before they get the next generation of top-line guys through.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Holtby was fine in Games 5-7 but he never stole a game and he finished with .887 in the series. Even if the Capitals gave up some odd-man rushes that is a really atrocious save percentage.

Game 7 was a disaster from the entire roster but the Capitals probably win in 6 if Holtby doesn't let in a few of the soft goals from Games 1-4.

I was at the game so maybe didn't have the best view, but the second goal last night looked pretty soff too.

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 11, 2017

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

They're going to have to make changes though due to all of their expiring contracts.

Forwards:
Kuznetsov: RFA
Burakovsky: RFA
Oshie: UFA
Williams: UFA
Connolly: RFA
Winnik: UFA

Defensemen:
Orlov: RFA
Schmidt: RFA
Alzner: UFA
Shattenkirk: UFA
Carlson: UFA in 2018
Orpik: SIGNED FOR 2 MORE YEARS AT $5.5M BABY

Goalie:
Grubauer: RFA

They're almost surely going to lose Oshie, Williams, Alzner, and Shattenkirk this season and possibly Carlson next season. And possibly Schmidt or Grubauer in expansion. They have no really significant prospects in the pipeline other than like Samsonov but he's not really at a position of need. Vrana and Bowey were getting healthy scratched in Hershey and those were always thought to be 2 of their best prospects.

I still think they have a good young defensive base with Orlov, Niskanen, Schmidt, and Carlson and Holtby *should* be good, but aside from like Kuznetsov and Burakovsky their good forwards are all getting old.

They can probably kick the can one or two more times but their window is closing very quickly.

Yeah I wish they were in a better position to do what the Penguins do and just load up on cheap young players and fire them out there next to the vets, but their pipeline kind of sucks after all these "win now" decisions the last few seasons. They'll probably be mostly the same but not as good, trailing off in the next couple years. Odds aren't as good to get anywhere, but hey, sometimes you get lucky and a team will trade you a Phil Kessel for peanuts.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Burakovsky looked like he belonged when he was playing on the top line against the Penguins.

So I don't think they NEED Oshie, but boy would I like to see them find a way to keep him. Such a good two-way guy and he and Backstrom work incredibly well together.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Backstrom and Nylander on a line hot drat!

https://twitter.com/aj_ranger/status/864426426153529344

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

I think it's fair to question Trotz's abilities as a coach especially in the playoffs. He's been terrible at adapting to the opposition's strategies and is often slow to make changes. He tried to play run and gun with the Leafs for 4 games, failed to recognize Orlov and Niskanen were his best pairing until the middle of the postseason, stubbornly left Ovechkin and Backstrom together for almost the entire season despite them not having chemistry any more, played 7D despite 2 of them (Orpik and Alzner) being garbage, healthy-scratched Nate Schmidt despite him being probably their third or fourth best D all season, failing to adapt to the Penguins' counter-attacking strategy until it was too late, etc.

Some local podcasts put it best when they said Trotz didn't seem like he even gameplanned for the Leafs or Penguins, but rather reacted to what they were doing after a few games had been played (going into 2-1 and 3-1 series deficits, respectively). He seems slow to adapt and unwilling to experiment and that's really bad when things don't go according to plan in the postseason. Sullivan, on the other hand, seemed prepared for the Capitals in the first 2 games and made great adjustments going into Game 7 and Trotz wasn't able to do anything in response.

His regular season record has been great but he's also had a fantastic roster, great injury luck, and opponents who can't specifically gameplan against the Capitals like they can in the playoffs.

Is there a better option out there? Maybe not, but I think Trotz's time should be up in DC.

I mean, at least with the Leafs it def. felt like if they just played their game they were going to come back and win, which they did. But he was definitely exposed in Game 7 against the Penguins. I'm too dumb about real hockey strategy to even know what he did, but they got shut the gently caress down and had 0 answers.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Darthvechkin always force chokes in the playoffs.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Congrats RAS

https://twitter.com/NYRangers/status/875035414658154496

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Haha that would sure be a head-scratcher.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I find it hilarious (if it's true) that Ray Shero, who the only thing he is kinda vaguely good at is drafting, is trying to move the #1 pick for veterans

The Devils are just one Patrick Kane away from a cup, I tells ya!

Unless this were some weird wheel and deal thing involving Vegas, if they trade Hischier/Patrick AND other players for Kane, it would be enough to bury my Devils jersey in the yard. Luckily, it's Twitter.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

Do you think the Devils are Patrick/Hischier away from competing or something? This is a weird post. Kane is worth far more than the 1st overall this year?

They were a -61 goal differential team last season. I think they should be rebuilding instead of further burrowing themselves into playoff purgatory.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I'm just going to fantasize for a minute about a world where Vegas takes Brooks Orpik over Grubauer or Nate Schmidt.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Kuzy making good choices

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/876770841220059136

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Comments clarify this is an offer from SKA and not the Caps

Oh yeah sorry, I pulled that out of context. Kuzy not going to Russia, basically.

I'm hoping we can lock him up long-term for slightly-less-than-Backstrom money.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

hockey fans are stupid and believe that their management should be both detached and ruthless enough to make tough decisions, but they also need to be sentimental and do right by the guys who have been on the team for years or whatever.

I want GMBM to fire Brooks Orpik into the sun and also to make sure that Ovi is a career Capital. What part of that is stupid?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I am a fan of the New Jersey Devils and the Washington Capitals.

Both of their new jerseys are awful.

That is all.

If they had to change the Devils, I was hoping they would bring back the green. Aren't they supposed to get black thirds or summat too?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

It can't be Severson. They'd be left with what? Andy Greene and a couple of traffic cones on D?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm worried Calgary will, they need a defenceman and the UFA D crop mostly stinks outside of Shatty. Hopefully they re-sign Stone, I liked what I saw after the trade. I could see Montreal or NJ offering him a deal, also.

I can see NJ taking him. And I'll just watch a lot of Capitals next season. Again.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I love Oshie's two-way game so I'm just going to be happy about that deal for how it makes the team look for the next 2-3 years or so and willfully ignore the rest of the term.

I mean, who even knows if I'll be watching hockey anymore in 2025? Maybe I'll be dead.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

JoelJoel posted:

gently caress it, sign em all forever. Nuclear hellfire could very well take care of all those bad contracts.

I mean, this is Washington we're talking about. There's a compelling case we don't make it to 2020.

e:

Uh

https://twitter.com/Chris_Gordon/status/878401494319497216

K...

https://twitter.com/Chris_Gordon/status/878401775384104960

:raise:

Chad Sexington fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Captain Internet posted:

Washington fans, remember to set your watch for the 4th round so you can see the Caps first pick of 2017-18 draft.

Surely this is how they will fill the spot left by Schmidt!

• Locked thread