Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

touhou is incredibly popular with women and has been a gateway for a ton of female mangaka that got their starts making touhou doujins, and more than that the touhou doujin scene itself is alive with depictions of lesbian romance written by actual lesbian women. more than that, the characters in touhou are literally never sexualized in canon (can you imagine, with that art), have offputting or bizarre personalities, and zun seemingly goes out of his way to hire mostly women artists for the manga and novels and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think maybe the real sexism isn't 'oh no, some shows have cute girls in them,' but when guys run around shouting over women, women creators, and what women enjoy to talk about how Woke they are, how much women are hurt by these things that they actually like or contribute to the creation of. There are discussions to be had about things like using cute female characters as marketing, how seemingly every japanese store or website has a doodle of a cute girl, but starting out with 'these things that thousands of women find deeply important to them and had tons of female voices involved in their creation are actually sexist' is not only stupid, it's incredibly sexist and reductive. Men don't need to run around shouting down women in order to protect women. Frankly, men don't need to have opinions on objectification of women.

Statements like 'textbook fetishes,' 'way more successful than they have any right to be' - about a show made almost exclusively by women with a huge female fanbase - is some of the most sexist poo poo I've ever read. I'd like to ask that you not only gently caress off, but that you never talk about anything like this, ever again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PS: you have a persona 5 avatar lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Can I gush for a second about K-on's environment art 'cos I really liked it

The school had a ton of character, and there were these gorgeous long, deep shadows over everything
yeah its super good, kyoani's always good at that but kyoani's nearly the best theyve been at that (i think eupho is slightly better at environment art, the cliffside shots and the bit in season 2 where they're at the inn are both gorgeous bits of background art)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

persona 3 is so sexist that the director of it literally didnt even know that you could be friends with a woman

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Command Ant posted:

As an enlightened male ally, I am obligated to protect women from anything that has even the slightest chance of reminding me that sex exists. Their input in this is irrelevant and to say otherwise is, frankly, offensive.

also several things that don't remind you that sex exists, but features girls that have personalities. as we all know, personalities are extremely sexist. all women are 80 year old grannies who go 'my word' when they see a female character existing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

You're right. I apologize.

I didn't know that was the reason K-On! was as popular as it was. So, I admit was was apparently talking out of my rear end. I got through about five episodes of it before dropping it because it wasn't for me. And then I saw it explode without understanding why and assumed it was the same reason Kancolle and the like are popular. I'll go back and give it another shot with a better perspective on things.

I :toxx: myself on ever bringing up the moe argument again.

Truce? :)
i mean this isn't about k-on specifically, more a specific toxic attitude. liking or disliking k-on isnt the point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Endorph as a mega Symphogear fan how do you feel about the gross poo poo in there

The main things that come to mind are the weird naked Electro torture scene in S1 and the x-drive boob press during the end of season 3.

That sort of stuff is a real downer for me and makes Symphogear hard to recommend to a general audience, even of casual anime fans.

(I'm not saying this has anything to do with 'Moe', I'm just curious to hear your take.)
The Fine stuff in S1 is dumb and bad - not really because its fanservice, but because its just tone-killing, weird, and kinda ruins Fine's later characterization. They did really move away from that stuff later, minus a few blips. The sexual abuse in Saint-Germain's backstory, and the references to Chris's backstory outside of that scene, are handled a lot more tastefully. S1 in general just has kind of a weird tone, and its bizarre attempts at fanservice are a big part of that. See also Fine spending 80% of the show naked.

I don't really mind the boob press. It's just a goofy boob gag, the finale of S3 is a big dumb action scene so it doesnt really kill the mood. I can see disliking it, but I don't have any kind of moral problem with it. IMO the bigger problem is Chris's dumb armor purge at the end of Season 2, since she's just naked for literally no reason in the middle of a big action setpiece, and it leads to lots of weird cuts to keep from actually showing anything. Fortunately they kinda walked back one back too, since hibiki uses that exact same power at the end of AXZ and she just gets brought back to her casual clothes.

Besides those two scenes, none of the fanservice in Symphogear really bothers me. It's not that heavy past Season 1 and a couple of scenes in S2, and most of it's in places that don't really ruin anything.

edit: in terms of how it reflects on the show, well, Symphogear was always a dumb magical girl/toku mishmash made to sell CDs to otaku. It has some female fanbase (according to a friend, the live was something like 70/30 male/female), and there are a few female staff members, but the closest thing to a woman actually being involved in the writing is Nana Mizuki's conceptual suggestions. So it just kind of reflects in the show in terms of things like that. Not that a female-led show wouldn't have dumb fanservice, but it'd be executed differently, probably. Especially, again, with the season 1 stuff. I think outside of that early stuff it never really gets egregious - way worse stuff than boobpresses happen in your average shonen series - but those couple of fine scenes are a pretty big thing you have to make people aware of, yeah.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 21, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eela6 posted:

Thanks for your reply Endorph!
np. good av.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the characters are good and have decent relationships with each other, and since its a kind of trashy game it lets the female characters have traits or visual design elements that a lot of more 'normal' games might not since its not like they have to worry about turning people away

like hikage's big tattoos, or some of the characters just like, actually being really lovely people, or really rough around the edges in ways that a magical girl show or something would try to sand down

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/srw_xomg/status/922074614733324289

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

puschel posted:

Uhm.. somehow romance animes are kind of a guilty pleasure of mine and after kimi no na wa and koe no katachi I switched over to series. Are there any decent ones in let's say the last five years? I don't mind highschool settings at all but I'd rather have an happy ending and closure instead of an open end. I enjoyed ReLife but it's obviously not over, Mikakunin was too crazy for my taste, couldn't stand the loli char and I just finished s1 of Yahari ore no seishun. Really liked the art style and animation but I kinda spoilered myself and already know it's not gonna wrap up with season 2. So are there any romance animes in recent times that actually end on a happy note?

pet girl of sakurasou
hyouka
it's a movie, but i'd highly recommend tamako love story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cuntellectual posted:

post your favorite steam reviews for anime games.

dont post poo poo like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

How does this MC actually make money to support herself though? Does she work from home? She says she's a "corporate dropout"
a lot of NEETs in japan work online or in under the table ways, like helping neighbors or relatives with their computer issues for a few bucks. computer knowledge is relatively rare in Japan for how modernized it is, so someone with a good grasp of them can make enough to float by even without a dedicated job.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do NOT jack off posted:

Hey guys, not sure where the List 'o Recommended Animes is, but where is the really feelsy, sappy romance anime?
Try these:

Nana (Early 2000s series about two girls with the same name - a ditzy college girl who flits from boy to boy kinda aimlessly and a rocker girl with a lot of drama in her past - and their complicated web of relationships as they live together. Good character drama. Kind of long, and not everyone gets a happy or satisfactory ending but its well executed)

Snow White With the Red Hair (Recent series, fantasy romance about a herbalist girl and a prince. Sweet and heartwarming, with some good side characters and cute banter)

Ore Monogatari (Big, bulky guy with a scary face who's actually a real sweetheart gets a crush on a cute, tiny girl. Whole lot of him being dorky as he tries to be romantic and her loving every gesture despite his fears. Also, the big guy's best friend is the best friend character in any romance anime. Has something of a comedy focus, but is still very sweet.)

Spice and Wolf (The romance anime for people who love entire episodes of debate about medieval economies.)

Nodame Cantabile (Romance anime that takes place at a music university. It talks a lot about passion, art, uncertainty about how to live your life pursuing the things you care about, etc. Worth it if you're into music or you were a drama club kid, and a good romance anime in general)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

quote this post if you want me to CAP-ture your avatar

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do NOT jack off posted:

Thanks, and to everyone who responded to me in the thread, too! I have a Crunchyroll account and am going from there to see what else it has to offer. I've just finished Ore Monogatari. I've seen both of the ef - a tale of seasons, and was really struck by them emotionally. Let's see what else I've watched.

All the way through: Sasameki Koto, Ano Natsu de Matteru, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Kokoro Connect, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun (the anime, will they ever get a second season?), Myself, Yourself (I kinda regret watching this), The World God Only Knows, and Kimi ni Todoke (loved this one)

I couldn't get through Golden Time, the tone change really made me feel weird
Akatsuki no Yona only adapts the first part of a fairly long running manga so the love story doesn't reach a climax but it's still really good and also you should read the manga because the anime ends right at the part where it goes from good to amazing

lovely complex is good

ouran high school host club?

if you liked Ef, check out Clannad/Kanon/Little Busters/Angel Beats. All the Key anime, basically. They hit kind of a similar tone, especially as they go on and more of the plot and such gets revealed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its been 24 hours and burbo didnt get probed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Two episodes into Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen and it seems pretty good, if a bit generic. If i were to like this what other shows would people suggest?

the first utawarerumono

also chaika

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

It's extremely uncool to like something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

first utawarerumono has a better cast than the more recent one imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/syoya3/status/925329493484388352

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i don't think that's what happens

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also kumiko/asuka is better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

did someone turn to the camera in the back half of s2 and straight up say that (honestly asking bc i haven't finished)? because portrayal is not endorsement
no, and in fact there's an episode in the second half where Reina seems pretty self-deprecating about her crush on the teacher, and it's only ever portrayed as a crush and not something to build her entire life around. She's frustrated and annoyed by it and doesn't think the feelings will go away over night but there is literally no indication that it will ever be anything more than a crush, and Reina's line where she says she still feels that way about him is expressing the fact that she can't just get rid of those feelings even if they are ultimately fruitless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

also I can't believe a character turns to the camera in the new star trek and says "science is loving awesome", and then sheldon slides in from the side of the screen like dan forden in mortal kombat except instead of toasty he says "bazinga"

i cant believe shuuichi slides in like dan forden in mortal kombat except instead of toasty he says 'the constitution of japan does not envision gay marriage'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think, you can just take something at face value, as a show, instead of using works of art solely as ammunition for twitter discourse

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I sometimes wonder if 2D traditional animation is dying out in favor of 3D CGI in both western animation and in anime, simply because it's cheaper and 'trendier' in the eyes of producers as I'd see it.
3d isn't cheaper, it's actually more expensive. It isn't really trendier either, a few shows with CG mecha and 2D characters have done well but not that many full 3d anime have been big successes besides Kemono Friends, and the entire gag with that show is that the 3d is kind of terrible.

3D is 'popular' (two or three full CG shows, three or four that use CG in a prominent way despite using 2d character animation, and 20 2D shows per season isn't exactly 'popular') because it's easier. Especially if the series is going to run for a long time. Not that it doesn't take tons of talent and skill to make a decent 3d show, but the workload just isn't as massive as 2d animation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nena is the best kindred spirits character and its not even close

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

well I was always taught to never download an unknown exe file but how can I say no to SSJ3 Goku?

https://twitter.com/AsagiKurosagi/status/926788427604881415

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And this... is to go... even further beyond! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

burbo...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i cant believe touhou has been corrupted like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, its a lovely thing to do, but its understandable, its really hard to find anime pictures with big boobs outside of this thread.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

Sounds like a bunch of fanboys that can't handle the truth 😏
no its not

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Julias posted:

Okay, I'm gonna level, I was being sarcastic, and you're all being dumbasses.

If any other poster made a joke like that, you guys wouldn't even bat an eyelash at it.

I guess I could have workshopped it as "Nice Galko-Chan ripoff" or whatever.

no its not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Legitimately: if something from fate interests you, just watch it/play it. everything is pretty standalone, minus the bad deen UBW movie.

• Locked thread