Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I want to get into the manga but, as a show watcher, I really don't want to read through a bunch of stuff I already know for the most part. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons not to skip what was generally season 1 in the anime but whatever.

So, could any manga readers and show watchers tell me where in the manga I'd want to start if I wanted to skip season 1?

Oh and my general show theory has sorta already been said, but from pretty early on I got the sense that the titans are sentient and aware beings, probably turned humans, who are not in control when it comes to the eating humans thing. And their existence in being a titan is a absolute horror, and somehow the humans are all only making it worse. I don't know exactly how that would play out, and I guess it's not the case for the yeti dude, but I just think at some point in the story for some reason or another the "mindless" grunt titans will become sympathetic characters instead of just one dimensional straight villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Awesome, I will take all of your advice and try to jump into the manga. Thanks for saving me a lot of time trying to somehow figure it out on my own without having actually read any yet.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Anyone seen the live action movies? Are they spoiley or like a whole other universe? Are they even any good?

Edit: Also probably obvious observation but we're totally going to have a long boring part now where eventually Eren finds out that somehow by his just existing as a pseudo-titan thing he indirectly caused the attack 5 years ago and he is going to spend many episodes blaming himself where nothing interesting happens besides that.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 7, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So is Ymir probably dead? She can't be since her character just got actual detail. But shes been swallowed for a pretty long time... I know shes still gonna be alive somehow but come on.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

In the last or second to last episode didn't Ymir (or somebody) tell "Historia" (or somebody) that life beyond the walls wasn't so bad? I had thought life beyond the walls was essentially "get eaten instantly by a titan." Did she mean that in a "you get eaten but at least you're free" way or does she know about something beyond the wall that we don't? Some place/way people survive? Ymir has spent a lot of time as a titan at least, but when she turned back to a human she was presumably beyond the wall and she was able to make it to the walled city without getting eaten. We know she was in another city, and they had walls too because she was turned into a titan by being thrown off one. Maybe there's a lot more going on out there besides titans, and maybe there are places where there aren't titans?

Edit: And what the hell was it that turned her from a titan into back into a human? They seemed to say that eating a human turned her back, that was at least what I got from it. But then what about like, the smiling titan? We know she ate Eren's mom a long, long time ago yet she was still a titan by the last episode? So what gives?"

Sorry for abusing spoiler tags. I'm just not very good at telling what would be a spoiler and what wouldn't, and I wouldn't want to ruin any parts of the show for anyone.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 19, 2017

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Rangpur posted:

Maybe not every titan has a human inside of it, and they're like drones running on auto-pilot. Alternatively, if you spend long enough fused to a titan's brain stem maybe you just get absorbed and lose your sense of self. Maybe that's what happens to almost everyone, unless you have some unique trait that allows you to maintain control. Think about it: the trio of foreign shifters were evidently supposed to wipe out the remnants of humanity hiding behind the walls. So whoever ordered them to do it just sent 3 dudes over the course of 10 years? Gotta be something keeping them from being mass produced, no?

Now that you mention it, it seems like this has to be somewhat true. At the very least because they know that to kill a titan now, although I don't think they have had that ability very long and since the greatest members of the military have only killed a handful each it's not like they're downing a ton of titans. But they know that they need to cut out the nape. With all the shifters we've known, the nape is where their body is. It seems like if the human was still in the nape of every titan at some point they would have had to have found a leg sticking out of what the cut off or something. Or it would leave a body after the titan was killed (unless it somehow gets absorbed with the magical light energy stuff titans are apparently made of. But I don't see a logical way that would happen, although, anime so...). Since nothing like that has ever been noticed it would seem like humans still intact in the neck of titans are either quite or extremely rare.

I would say maybe only intelligent titans who are able to somewhat keep their sanity like Monkey Troubles, Eren somewhat (he was at least intelligent enough to only go after other titans and protect the humans when he first changed) etc. retain their body, but from the way it sounds Ymir was just a normal mindless titan. She described it as a long nightmare, so it doesn't sound like she had any control/intelligence.

I never started reading the manga like I planned, just two pages of an action sequence that was all just onomatopoeia and I got bored (although maybe I'll give it another shot starting where S2 ends) so I don't know anything. But people keep saying the basement is a big reward surprise. I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess... cure for titan-ism? Potion you inject in them and they return to their human self? But for some reason they can't make more of it, so like they have to go beyond the walls to get the ingredients all while still avoiding titans, and maybe trying not to kill them since they know they're curable people now? So that way there's still a conflict but it changes every way they act about the titans.

Or they find out some king or some poo poo in some far off city (Ymir's city?) has the cure and they are like "we gotta go get it". I dunno.

Or the whole titan thing is the fault of the people in Ymir's city. And Eren has to use his coordinate power to wage war on them and stop any more titans from being made or something.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maera Sior posted:

I just realized this meant that Reiner, Bertolt, Annie, and Marcel all ate people when they were young. :stonk:

Reiner or Bertold ask Ymir at one point if she remembers the person she ate or something. And since they were speaking as if they knew she had, and as if it was definitely a single person, that's why I thought just eating one person was the trigger. But having to eat a shifter makes more sense. But then, who was the first shifter and how?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

My guess is that titans eat people because they were designed to. They're made of some light energy, some very light substance that needs light to function. I suspect they were originally designed by some advanced society somewhere or something that discovered this special light energy and made them into a war weapon. And then, for some reason (or maybe by design, maybe the creators are somewhere perfectly safe and rosy) they got out of control and just wiped out the rest of the world/reproduced somehow very fast.

But if that's the case that doesn't explain what the hell Annie, Bertoldt and Reiner are trying to do or fighting for. But nothing loving explains what the hell they're on about, like I can't begin to create a reason they're trying to gently caress up everyone and return to their "hometown" or whatever the gently caress they're on about.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

If real life was an animes would you guys rather be in this world or one punch man's world?

Who would ever pick Attack on Titan's world? It's like the closest to a real hell on Earth that I can remember being in a show for a very long time. Even in anime worlds where people get blown up and poo poo all the time from giant energy explosions or something, at least they've usually got decently normal lives. Everyone's life in Attack on Titan is absolute poo poo because of their circumstances. It'd be complete terror 24/7, and the amount of PTSD the survivors would have...

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Ok that's fair. I was coming at the question with the (statistically more likely) assumption that I'm just some potato farming scrub in wherever village, or one of a million randoms crammed in the urban areas. So, no 3dmg, but no super hero powers in opm's world, just the ability to run as fast as I can when poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Green Tea Erotica posted:

We can't let that cringey-rear end Crunchyroll Segment get meta!

??? What we talking about here? I'm out of the loop, probably because I watch it on hulu.

• Locked thread