Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Wasp reality was great. Also terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Jerry/Morty and Summer/Beth plots sucked, yeah. We get it: Jerry's a loving idiot and the only thing he's actually any good at it is manipulating others. Beth is protective of Summer, while Summer is desperate for her life to change for the better. We learned nothing new.

The Rick plot was interesting.

Shitenshi posted:

This one feels like a more comedy oriented Pickle Rick. It's not a top secret Russian embassy, they're just a really banality of evil type secret aliens, and Rick's not fighting Jaguar, he's overreacting to an extremely minor slight. The Smith family isn't even being jerked around by Rick's self-destructiveness this time, they're tearing themselves apart due to their own stupidity.
The other difference is that, if anything, Rick is worse off than he was then. From his point of view, the power dynamic within his family has changed to his disadvantage, and if we assume chronology, the one person he thought he *could* trust(Morty) not only got him killed but then refused to clone him for selfish reasons. And Beth thinks she's a clone and that Rick might kill her at any moment. All of his friends are dead and his relationship with his family has never been worse. Plus, the Rick plot was really funny.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I liked this episode. It was funny to me blasé Rick and Summer were about things. The wizard’s death scene was hilarious, just how he casts his ice spell and rambles on about how it’s just making his death slower. The weirdness of the cat plot, and of course Rick can relate to a mythical monster that despises humans and hordes cool poo poo.
It was pretty good, IMO.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I don’t think appearing in this episode necessarily means that they’re never going to do anything with any of these elements ever again.
What I’m saying is that Summer really will go to college and Abradolf Linkler is going to move into her old room and get into wacky hijinks with Jerry.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Rick is such a petty little bitch and it’s amazing.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Android Blues posted:

Rick doesn't want a competent sidekick. He wants someone he can brutalise and humiliate who will also hero worship him.

See: this episode, where he makes fun of Morty for not knowing every word in English (previously established that Rick thought "take things for granted" was "take things for granite", so he doesn't even maintain the ridiculous standard he's setting for Morty himself), and then proceeds to put him in a Saw-esque moral culpability deathtrap for being even mildly critical of his goofy plan.

I mean, we know Rick is evil. The back third of this one just made me sort of sad, though.
Yeah, Summer, for all of her faults, has a spine. Summer doesn't seem that impressed with Rick's schtick and mostly does her own thing when she tags along on an adventure.
Plus, you know, she won't kneel down to get a closer look at some awesome wet eggs, what a buzzkill!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

MJeff posted:

Wow, Rick, full narc. Bad form.
I mean, it was telegraphed by him promising *not* to narc. Which just makes it more hilarious.
Rick is such a hypocrite, it wraps from making me angry to being hilarious.

That ending stinger was gold. Summer has been on fire basically this entire season.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think you're missing the point of Rick's choice, or rather the choice he didn't make. Beth asked him directly whether he wanted her in his life or not, and he lacked the emotional capacity to give her a real answer. So instead he came up with a way to further separate himself from her by creating a "fake" version of his daughter so he didn't actually have to decide how he felt about her in any meaningful way. He chose both options so he wouldn't have to commit to either one because he's a petty selfish man who isn't willing to form real human connections.

edit:

Like, seriously, think about that: he created a whole other living person, with all the same thoughts and feelings as his daughter (so like you said for all intents and purposes he made a second equally valid daughter), just so he wouldn't have to admit to himself that he cared about his child. That's hosed up poo poo right there.
Yeah, it's just another example of what a coward Rick is.
Another example is what he did to Dr. Wong's office: why is it full of ridiculous escape gadgets if he can simply choose not to go? Because Rick is a coward who needs to protect himself even from the feeble pangs of his own conscience.
Rick is existentially terrified of his own feelings and of ever being wrong(or, at least, being perceived as being wrong). He also can't let go of anything: it's why he salvaged Phoenix Person, when it probably would have been kinder to just kill him than do whatever the gently caress Rick is doing.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
:lol: that last batch got done in by a Jerry!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
This episode was great.
Then the credits stinger brought it to the next level. Goddamn!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Morty you dipshit she was right.
Yeah, it’s weird he was so hung up on her being homicidal given how much carnage he’s committed personally, to say nothing of Rick.
But then, I think Morty is craving a normal, wholesome relationship, but an entity psychically linked with a planet that’s suffering immensely can’t provide that. He didn’t unsummon her though, even though he could have.
But wow, Beth is actually being a good mom! And the Rick&Summer apocalypse tour was fun. An altogether really good episode. Seems we’re getting a Beth&Morty plot next week…

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, no, that was a miss. Let the discussion of the vicissitudes of legal parody continue?

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Mokinokaro posted:

As someone else said, the cold open would've been an amazing gag but there wasn't enough there to carry an entire episode.
Yeah, I assumed it was just a one-off gag myself. And it makes for a decent gag in that context, it doesn’t make for an entire episode. This was an idea that should have ended up on the cutting room floor.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Well, this one is pretty good so far. Hopefully they can bring it home.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Oh my God, they’re killing it with these stingers this season. :lol:

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The skin hooks weren't elaborate or anything and Rick still half assed them.
The only things he doesn't half-rear end anymore are contrived scenarios designed to punish Morty for calling him out on half-assing everything.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
This is sheer madness and I love it.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Well, that was insane all the way through, but the execution was on point.
And they’ve been killing it with these credit stingers.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
This is kind of boring, yet inoffensively so.
So far.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Durf posted:

yeah. the way they just slammed on the gas before you can process that they are indeed rolling with such an idiotic concept made me laugh harder than I have in awhile with this show. it felt similar to the time travelling snakes ep.

while I loved the duracell laser, the real strength of the Pickle Rick episode was the therapist diagnosing Rick and making it clear to the fanbase that there is no reason to idolize him. No other ep went as far with that, and I think they purposefully packaged it alongside a bunch of fanboy schlock.

Also in terms of action pieces the most effective and entertaining was when Rick kept swapping bodies to destroy the Council of Ricks. that entire sequence was just gleeful genius.
Yeah, if anyone tells you they think Pickle Rick was a terrible/the worst episode, in my experience, it's because they're really mad Rick got owned by a therapist.

Me, I think this season has been pretty good so far: this last one was a clunker and Sperm episode was awful, but I loved decoys, Planetina, and turkeys, personally, and the first episode was good. In fact, I can still hear King Nimbus say "Richard". Just great voice acting.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Terror Sweat posted:

What, that was awful. The writer literally wrote her selfinsert into the episode to criticize the main character of a loving cartoon where everything is meaningless. It's family guy quagmire criticizes Brian levels of awful
I'm sorry the mean therapist lady nailed Rick to the wall for being a giant piece of poo poo who is also an emotional coward and adrenaline junkie who literally can't stop endangering himself and his family.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That was pretty good.

And oh poo poo hour long season finale Sept. 5th!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

ikanreed posted:

Why do you think they're buying used economy cars from the 1980s in the first place?
Maybe Rick has a doodad that makes them?
Or he just steals them from the Station Wagon dimension and is too lazy to get something better…

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

alf_pogs posted:

this is a good summary of my take from it. and also it ties back into Rick's alcoholism and selfishness - which are then exasperated by and contribute to Rick's depression. BP is his best friend and part of that is refusing to accept Rick's worst traits, so he has to draw a line somewhere
Yeah, Rick seems mostly interested in enablers, honestly. BP and the other rebels are a bit of an exception, as he seems to genuinely respect them, but mostly Rick hates to be challenged, and I got the sense he didn’t hang out with them often.
Which may be why he fell out with Mr. Nimbus(who simultaneously seems deeply concerned for him and over his bullshit) and is certainly why he reacts in such an extreme manner every time one of the family(but especially Morty) calls him out.
I wonder if they have the nads to really give Rick what he deserves…

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I...wow. That was great. They really knocked it out of the park there. And we learned so much!
But no more Citadel Episodes. Though Mortytown was spared at least. I wonder if Evil Morty cared even a little? It seemed like an obvious escape route.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Random Stranger posted:

My reaction to the finale was, "Okay, but I'm not sure any of this mattered," which I guess is kind of a Rick attitude. Evil Morty did something to a poorly explained concept, which I always figured was dropped in as a throw away line originally just to explain why infinite universes weren't actually infinite on the show, that didn't have any effect on the show or doesn't have any reason to have an effect on the show. They dedicated a whole lot of time to walking around vague explanations and exposition for things that don't mean anything, more like it had the appearance of meaning. I guess the take away is Rick was the smartest man in the universe because he rigged the multiverse so he'd always be the smartest man in the universe, but that wasn't part of the show before that episode so it was the writers introducing a defining feature of the show and breaking it in the space of five minutes. It doesn't carry any weight. Any story that results from this they could have done before this episode with absolutely no difference. Well, other than Evil Morty hopping around with a golden portal gun.

I mean, things don't have to matter, but the episode presented them as though they should have mattered even though they didn't. And if you're going down the path of serious backstory and earth shattering events then it needs more than "here it is, now it's gone".
I don't know: why undo what Rick did to protect himself(and his ego) if you're not going to make him deal with it? We don't really know Evil Morty's motivations yet, but it very much seems like he *intended* for our Rick and Morty to escape: it would have been obvious to close off Mortytown in advance if he wanted to make sure they died. He's just not the least bit threatened by them: he needed our Rick, got what he needed and then just toyed with them until he effortlessly enacted his plan while they watched impotently. And being treated as an afterthought is probably way more painful for Rick than death.

Also, the fact that our Rick's Beth really did die in childhood explains *why* he pulled that trick back in Season 3(I think): on a certain level, he knows he's a toxic influence, but he couldn't bear the thought of losing her again. So he tried to have his cake and eat it too, because he's Rick, and it allowed him to not have to deal with how he feels about coming into adult Beth's life, seemingly completely accidentally.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I used to think Raising Gazorpazorp was the worst episode in this series. But Rickdependence Spray is basically that piece of poo poo reheated in a microwave. In other words, it wins the boobie prize.
The GoTron episode was terribly boring and a bad parody, and then it touched The Poop.
Other then that, this season was pretty great, with Decoys, the credit stinger alone is pure gold, but that’s the quality of the whole thing! Turkeys, and the Two-Part finale leading the pack. But Jesus were those two eps rancid.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Yeah, I think this show handles its plot and lore very well. If you keep on focusing in one direction, building up one or the other mystery or conspiracy, they almost inevitably become too large and sprawling to resolve in a sensible and satisfying manner (or make sense, for that matter.)
Orphan Black burned me with that.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That was a quality episode. And it also demonstrates how much Rick has grown: he actually cares about *this* family enough to deal with saying...Par-mes-ian? Par-mee-sian?
God, that would suck!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Macaluso posted:

See I loved the heist episode specifically becasue it was so absolutely stupid and it was very clear it was made for no other reason than Harmon and/or Roiland hated heist movies. Also the heist music was excellent, props to the R&M music team

I've heard the God Rick complaint too but I dunno, Rick doesn't win all the time and Rick is a sad, depressed, alcoholic who is barely holding on to his own life. I really loved the ending of the special toilet episode for this exact reason.
Literally the last two episodes have been Rick getting owned by Evil Morty and then by Rick Prime. He was outclassed by both.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Macaluso posted:

He did the thing he wanted to do. With the curve thing. :hai:
Whatever the thing is that he wanted to do with the curve thing, he did it.
Also he just casually no-selled Rick the entire time.

Me? I like both kinds of episode. As long as they're not dumb, like Rickdependence Spray or Raising Gazorpazorp.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That was pretty good. I liked it well enough, but then, like Summer, I have never seen a Die Hard movie.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Autosapphism is certainly not a direction I foresaw, but it’s going places…

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Skippy McPants posted:

Every smash cut to the Morty and Summer was superb.

And the text adventure is maybe the best TV bit they've done.
Yeah, that was great. This episode was weird and uncomfortable but I felt it executed really well and was overall pretty great! I mean, it’s basically Beth learning to love herself, which is really wholesome, but there are two of them and they’re in love with each other, so it’s literal. The conversations Summer and Morty have are great, the smash cut to Rick and the kids at the dinner table while what’s going on upstairs is…going on. Great. Of course Jerry likes getting cucked by Space Beth. But he owes his Dad an apology.

The stinger was gold too.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

TheFattestPat posted:

Rick put the bottle away in a secret cupboard and destroyed the remote that opened it. I figure he did not enjoy how this all went down and doesn't want it to happen again. And right before that as Space Beth was leaving Jerry said something about learning a lesson this Thanksgiving, and Rick replied with "Me too."

It doesn't look like he planned the whole thing out. When he and Beth were having their conversation about "ice cream" it seemed more like he had recently figured out what was going on because he's done something similar before. Then he advised her to get it out of her system and move on, but the whole family ends up finding out about it and they even used his holodeck (I'm sure he considers this the real crime). It ends up making a bunch of drama and ruining Rick's peace.

They had this take place on Thanksgiving which is one of the holidays where you have to deal with your family and all the crap that comes with that. Rick just wanted to hang out and play video games with Summer and Morty, but then they get traumatized by the whole thing, Jerry goes into a cocoon that freaks the Beths out which leads to more drama about giving them a memory wipe, then there's arguments about that aspect. I'm reading it as Rick realized he should have shut the whole thing down right away which is why he locks that bottle up.

And now I'm remembering the Creepy Morty Club that was at the Citadel. Maybe this is one of those things you can't completely avoid or control, like a family holiday dinner.
Yeah, as much as Rick is super manipulative, he seemed genuinely put out by what happened and seemed to want to erase as much evidence of it as possible so he could just...bury it deep down inside. He's good at that!

But, then...he deserves this for cloning his daughter instead of telling her he loves her. Summer and Morty...not so much.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Well, that was yet another banger.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
It was hilarious to me that Night Rick's solution to their problems wasn't actually solving any of their problems: it was the equivalent of mass murder-suicide to dump all their problems on the "daymonoids".
He and Rick have a lot in common!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Skippy McPants posted:

Good episode, but did Jerry loving his Mom really need to be the MacGuffin? Like, I'm not sure incest needs to be a recurring theme of the show.
My thoughts exactly. The stinger was a total whiff too.

Otherwise it was decent.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
This episode was honestly a little boring IMO, but the ending and the stinger were straight loving fire.

God drat, I don't want to wait six weeks to watch more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
That episode missed me, sorry. But then, so did story train, so I didn't expect this one to be different.