Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah, almost everything related to the retirement home was funny, even sometimes in a dark way. Chicago sunroof? That poo poo wasn't in Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The sex toilet will always be the funniest thing to have happened on this show.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Hey, someone give me a refresher, it's been too long since S2.

Why does Mike hate and want to kill Hector again? That was put on the backburner because of the Gus stuff but I forget why he was in the desert with the rifle in the first place.

Ha, so I thought I knew, and it turns out even I forgot, and I'm glued to the screen every week.

I think it was from Mike helping Nacho out, it involved getting rid of Tuco, Mike gets Tuco put away for possession of a gun, so Hector telks Mike to say the gun was Mike's and not Tuco's. Hector threatens Mike's family via the twins. Mike being a family man hates that poo poo, so he's willing to put down Hector for good. Except he was told "Don't".

Now I'm wondering if Nacho dies before the BB timeline gets set up :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think there'll be much more of Saul dealing with Gus. In BB, he brings up Gus to Jesse and Walt like he barely knows him. Unless that's just him being him?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Last Chance posted:

I hope the show never becomes this "reverse-CSI" you speak of. That sounds terrible

Well, CSI is by-the-numbers fantasy procedural tripe, so the reverse of that should be awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

Watching the first episode of the new season, and I have no memory whatsoever of what happened last season, lmao.

This is why it's important to listen for those magic words, "Previously on AMC's" Better Call Saul...""

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I agree. If it was to happen (which it shouldn't) I think they should just show the scene where they grabbed him on the street from his perspective, and only show them from the footage from Breaking Bad. That or Saul greeting the uncle of his newest client who of course turns out to be Walt.

Even then it would be bad, the show should end with Jimmy firmly ensconced as Saul and then some resolution of the flash-forward, and not try to connect up with Breaking Bad beyond that.

Yeah but here's the thing; this show is meant to stand on its own. The entire reason that Jimmy/Saul ends up as Gene is due to all of the lovely things that Walt got him mixed up in. I have no idea how they're going to wrangle that into BCS.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

This show absolutely stands on its own. Going from Jimmy to Saul has nothing to do with Breaking Bad.

You're missing my point; for those who haven't seen breaking bad, how is this show going to handle that whole Gene thing if it is supposed to stand on its own?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

y'all know the only reason they're still making this show is because of BB right? Like the suits sat down with the production staff and said they were gunning to recapture some portion of that lightning in a bottle and that would require a little more tie-in than a hot dog stand address.

I agree with this, and also think that earlier goon was maybe projecting a bit when they were saying that stuff about Gus' big reveal. I don't actually think that there was much of a big reveal at all fir anyone not already aware of what's going on. Hell, the Tuco cameo at the end of S1E1 had more of a blatant wink to the audience than the slow pan over the restaurant logo, or Gus' silhouette.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

He didn't. Walt got involved with them through Todd. Todd was only with them because he was part of the exterminator crew that would scout houses for them to cook.

It's pointless, but I'd love to read a written-by-the-writers news article all about the aftermath of everything. Like how the cops showed up to the compound, found the crew dead, along with Walter 'Heisenberg' White, and just their summary of the events so far and what police are thinking now, if they see evidence of someone escaping, etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

clown shoes posted:

Who watches Better Call Saul but never watched Breaking Bad?

My dad. He got through season 1 of BB, but realized that watching the tragically violent and bloody downfall of a family man wasn't really something he wanted to do. He's checking out BCS, though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't think people realized that Breaking Bad wasn't just explosions and gunfire; it was the mental and emotional buildup to those things. Anyone can ruin a car, but when Walt does it, it's something more.

Remove the explosions and most of the gunplay, and you've got almost the same show in Better Call Saul, and I mean this in the best possible way; it's so much better than it has any right to be, it being a spinoff.

Whatever Vince does next, I hope it's with the same technical crew and for AMC. Doesn't have to be in the BB/BCS universe, it just has to have that feel.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well yeah, but that was the point at which the show literally spelled it out for even the most casual of viewers.

I know it, you know it, Moltar know it...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Guess who write today's episode?

I don't think posters here are getting enough oxygen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

There was never a chick-fil-a near me growing up and I never saw commercials or anything so I said "chick fill uh" until I was like 20.

There are probably people who live in breaking bad's world that say "pollos" really wrong.

I was born and raised in eastern Canada, and we don't have Chick-fil-a there. Until the anti-gay thing happened, and I heard it on the news, I totally thought it was Chick Filluh, and I didn't get it. But Chick-fil-a (Chick fillet) makes more sense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Perhaps but it's still the stupidest excuse for a pun in all of creation.

Oh, agreed. I remember thinking "oh, I get it. Ugh."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What if the writers made Gus gay in protest of Chick-Fil-A?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Re: Gus being gay (though I'll admit, maybe he's not), I remember when that episode happened, the flashback, and it was hinted at. Not like Mike's Voice or the recorder in Chau's cigarette, but actually hinted at. I believe at one point, Hector teases them when he's taking a leak in the pool, saying something like 'you like the sight of this, don't you?'. I think Don Eladio says something referencing it, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, when it came up, I thought what? No way, that's a stretch. But as I've watched the scene (and the series) over a few times since, I feel like that's what they were going for very subtly.

Edit: From Quora: In the 408 episode of the Breaking Bad podcast, the show's creator Vince Gilligan was asked whether Max was Gus's lover. He said that "It's open to interpretation. It's whatever the audience wants it to be."" So there you go, he's both gay and not at the same time.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 23, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

massive spider posted:

Its Hector who goes "Dark meat and white meat, don't look like *brothers* to me" in a way that really sounds like he was calling them fags.

Ding

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TBeats posted:

Chuck is actually the one who is right in this whole thing tho

And this is why this is one of the best written shows on tv.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone else notice the "Mr Clark" thing? Y'know, like the 'Dave Clark Five'? No? Must be before your time, then.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Pretty neat seeing Tyrus behind Gus there. Man, those little touches.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

I noticed they had Tyrus in the background of the Gus showdown scene and thought it was odd because he came after Victor was box cuttered.

Tyrus must be his #2, behind Victor. I just saw it as a way to explain how Gus was able to find a replacement for Victor so quickly; he already had one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cnut the Great posted:

Wait, are you trying to tell me Gus had multiple employees in his region-spanning drug empire???

Shocking, I know.

It's like he ran it as a business and not some egotistical dick-measuring 'empire' like his opponent did.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After trawling IMDB, I finally figured out where I know the judge from; Herman's Head. She was 'sensitivity'.

Welp, thanks for reading!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Maybe Clea Duvall's character comes back to testify, as she's medically seen Chuck. Plus, she pulled that 'dirty trick' of having his hospital bed actually turned on when it Chuck thought it was off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, has the OTHER Hamlin (I assume Hamlin senior) ever get mentioned? I've seen every moment of every episode so far, just curious if I'm forgetting something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You know how Gus was untouchable to everyone aside from Walt? The sniper thing, Mike saying "Do you have any idea what you've done?' when he learned about what happened? I think it'd be pretty neat during a Gene scene to see some sort of headline or news report regarding whatever trouble that caused bubbling to the surface.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

That was before he murdered the Mexican Cartel though.

Mike's line comes after that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

After Gus was gone the Nazi's ran the meth scene, and they killed all their competition. There's a scene where that lady that walt kills goes to their underground school bus and they all get killed by the nazis. I would guess that there's no one cooking meth on that level anymore. I don't know because the show ends and never explains it so it must not be important.

Hmm, I got the impression that it was more than that. When Eladio kills Gus' partner, doesn't he say something like the only reason he's still alive is because Eladio knows who he is?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LeJackal posted:

Right, it has to do with Gus coming from strange, unknown Chile where he may maintain a few powerful connections that could prove awkward. He is mockingly called 'Generalissimo' by some of the cartel members, too. :iiam:

Exactly. I'm just hoping for some mention of his backstory in BCS. Obviously Mike has learned of Gus' importance before we meet him in BB, so I wonder if we'll learn anything. I both don't want it spoiled, and at the same time want to know the full story.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

I think the pool side murder happens way before the start of bcs so it probably won't be in the show

No offence, but I can't even tell the trolling from legit posts anymore.

This thread! :argh:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can only watch it tomorrow, but goddamn, I'll be reading the thread, spoiling myself. Can't help it!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I trust Vince.

This should really be the thread title. The only misstep he's ever had (that made its way past everyone, mind you) was the foreshadowing to the plane crash in BB, and I only bring that up because everyone else bitches about it, I thought it was fine, and outright disturbing as BB S2 went on.

Edit: Admittedly, Marie's stealing plot line didn't really go anywhere, but it did add depth to her character.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Looking forward to the inevitable crippling of fucko Salamanca, and Gus taunting him over it.

Sucks that they kill each other in the end. Gus has to be my favourite character in the BrBa/BCS universe. I wish he won.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I really loved how Jimmy's apology was an attempt for Chuck to realize Jimmy's trying to put those words in his mouth, in his head, and then Chuck adds in the cost of the tape. At that point, hope just drains from Jimmy.

Man, this loving show :allears:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Herv posted:

[chuck]
Cassette tape.
[/chuck]

*Jimmy stare*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Another possible extra reason for making sure the amount was exact is perhaps so Chuck can prove to everyone in the room that he's not the type to make small mistakes with numbers :smug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SlipkPIe posted:

It's cool but oh boy is their Spanish bad. Especially Hector

See, I wondered that, but not knowing Spanish at all, I didn't actually notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Jimmy is perfectly cool with dating bigger ladies. Remember his date near the beginning of season 1?

It even runs in the family:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qDgCmzh5ao

:golfclap:

• Locked thread