Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wonder how many cgi shiners Mike will have this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I hope Robert Forster's character shows up at some point down the line.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know the thread hates Chuck with a passion, but I can't imagine the show without him. He's such a rat bastard and Michael McKean's performance is fantastic.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Not strictly BCS related, but I met Rian Johnson tonight and got to tell him how much I loved the Breaking Bad episodes he directed, including perennial goon whipping boy "Fly".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

you're dumb rear end

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sinteres posted:

The ratings have dropped massively too, so the Breaking Bad fans they thought they were going to reach with that marketing clearly didn't care.

I'm sure it'll still do fine on Netflix, but I kind of wish it was just airing there in the first place since I think the show's deliberate pace would feel less like punishment if you didn't have to wait a week for the next episode. I'd just wait and do that, but there's no way I'd manage to avoid spoilers for a whole year.

If the ratings keep slipping, I hope AMC at least gives Gilligan and co. enough of a warning to plan out a real ending. Imagine a BB-level cliffhanger with no resolution. :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The entire reason they bought that car wash is because Walt had worked there before and it made more sense as a cover than the random Laser Tag Saul wanted them to buy.

I know goons are bad at watching tv, but c'mon people.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

maskenfreiheit posted:

Would that have been bad?

A Dexter style "come home to a family member murdered THAT'S A WRAP FOLKS" would have been a great twist.

sout posted:

It would have been pointless. What would be the conceit of the show if he hasn't got a family to provide for?

This. Walt Jr is basically the only character who sticks by Walt for the entire series. Walt and Skyler are already having issues by the end of the first season, Holly can't talk, and as much as Walt would like it, Jesse never really becomes a surrogate son. Not totally, anyway. So you're left with Jr, who loves and defends his dad right up until Ozymandias. Hell, Jr's screaming breakdown over the phone in Granite State is what convinces Walt to stop hiding and finish what he started. So yes, not having Jr around would be a detriment to the show. He's Walt's biggest fan and you need the emotional weight of his "betrayal". Plus, he's a funny character who lightens up a lot of otherwise heavy episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

clown shoes posted:

Who watches Better Call Saul but never watched Breaking Bad?

1/3 of this thread apparently

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

If Mike, everyone's favorite bad-rear end old guy, isn't an acceptable, and maybe even superior, substitute for "gangster stuff," well...I just don't know what to say.

Modern audiences will only accept slow burn character studies if every other scene is intercut with a pointlessly gory zombie kill.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
There are people that still, to this day, refuse to accept that Walt became the show's villain the moment he killed Gus.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

lotus circle posted:

He was the show's villain long before Gus died.

Well yeah, but that was the point at which the show literally spelled it out for even the most casual of viewers.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lastdancer posted:

The "Fly" episode of BCS for sure

This is where I butt in and remind everyone that Fly is the quintessential BB episode. It tells you everything you'd ever need to know about Walt or Jessie in a tightly written microcosm of their entire relationship. If you don't like Fly, then chances are you don't like 80% of Breaking Bad and you're only in it for the base surface entertainment and gunfights.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Raxivace posted:

"Fly" is the main reason I'm looking forward to The Last Jedi.

That's what I told Rian Johnson. The man was visibly relieved that someone mentioned his Breaking Bad work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Walt made a deal with the DEA, testified against the Aryan Nation, and was put into witness protection in Japan.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Chick Fil A is bad because their breading is thick and soggy. If you want decent fast food chicken that doesn't help fund fanatical bigots, go to Raising Cane's.

If you live in College Station/Bryan, go to Lane's. It's the exact same poo poo for half the price.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Tenzarin posted:

They never specify if the chicken place is a fried chicken place or a fried chicken tender place, maybe they can solve this with another series?

The difference is huge.

Canes > chicfila, coleslaw alone.

My head-canon is that Los Pollos Hermanos is basically Pollo Campero. Spicy fried chicken with a bunch of region-specific authentic dishes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The Franch guy is eating what appears to be some kind of popcorn chicken

those are tater tots, pal

we really need a new episode

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
How do you think Chuck prefers his tots; full size and evenly baked or tiny and burnt? What kind of tater tots can you even make with a camp stove?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Breaking Bad (and now) Better Call Saul always shoot scenes in Mexico with a yellow filter. The doctor was in Mexico, Mike never took the drugs across the border. Mexico scenes are always shot with that yellow tinge, sometimes to indicate a flashback as well. The only exception I can think of are the modern-day scenes at Don Eladio's house.

This was from pages back but I don't care.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, please excuse my client's eccentricity. Yes, he requires the overhead lights be turned off. And yes, you had to give up your phones, your key fobs, and the court stenographer is writing this all by hand. And yes, he is wearing a suit lined with tinfoil so that the invisible waves of electricity don't turn him into a seizing, weeping sack of neuroses. But please don't let that influence your judgement, he's a totally sane man and everything he says about his brother is definitely true!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know about that. We haven't seem Kim and Jim really acting like a couple this season, that I can recall at least. All of their interactions have been platonic and professional. For that matter have we even seen where Jimmy lives at this point in the show? Is it still in the broom closet at the nail salon?

:goonsay:

They're obviously a couple, you loving goon.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kim vouched for Jimmy, which convinced Hamlin to do the same with Davis & Main. Pair Jimmy's spectacular flameout with Chuck's manipulation and Hamlin's treatment of Kim is somewhat understandable. When not being pushed around by Chuck, Hamlin has acted like a pretty decent guy. His conversation with Kim when she quit was pretty sincere and I doubt he wishes her or Jimmy any personal ill will. He's not a villain, just a professional with an ego.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Walt and Jesse will never show up in the Gene storyline because their story is over. Walt is dead. Jesse is free. There's literally nothing satisfactory that could come from having them show up again. If anyone shows up in a Gene flash-forward, it'll be someone exclusive to BCS because that's the only thing that could give the "cameo" any emotional weight. Kim, Hamlin, Chuck, etc. Having Badger show up and order two dozen cinnabuns would be pointless. Having Kim show up and not even recognize Jimmy would be crushing.

The Gene intros aren't there to fill in Breaking Bad aftermath lore. They're there to shine a spotlight on what you lose when you choose the path that leads to Saul Goodman.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 2, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It's great to see Don Eladio again, that actor is fan-tast-ico. I'd watch three seasons of Eladio teasing Hector.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ChesterJT posted:

They seem closer than ever, working together on a caper? Do you do this kind of stuff in your everyday life or just during tv watching time?

It's not a stretch to assume their relationship will strain and fall apart because of Jimmy's penchant for playing fast and loose with the law. They've already had arguments over it (see: squat cobbler). Kim may slip from time to time, but in past incidents she quickly realizes what they're doing is wrong. There's two ways to reach the inevitable end of this relationship; either Kim has a change of heart and leaves before it ruins her career, or she sticks by Jimmy and his slip-ups end up dragging her down anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Gus isn't from Mexico. He's from Chile and it is implied he fled the Pinochet regime in the mid/late 80s. He emigrated to Mexico and later at some undefined point emigrated to the US. At one point, Hank speculates that Gus is an alias or assumed name.

While he was in Mexico he started making crystal meth working for Eladio and Salamanca is generally seen to be his competition within that sphere. Salamenca kills his friend/possible gay lover by the pool, and the friend was the actual chemist. Gus was just the businessman cooking the books and also running Los Polos. I think Gus moved his operations to the US Southwest after his friend/cook was killed.

One small addendum; it's implied Gus was involved with the Pinochet regime in some way, and that's why he ended up in Mexico. His connection to the regime factors into Eladio's decision to spare him.

Don Eladio posted:

The only reason you are alive and he is not...is because I know who you are. But understand, you are not in Chile anymore.
Hector also mockingly calls him "grand generalissimo". It's never outright stated, but there are enough hints sprinkled throughout BB to make an educated guess.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

maskenfreiheit posted:

I would like to repeat my theory that Kim dies.

It's much more tragic if (during BB) Kim is still alive and simply chooses to have nothing to do with Jimmy. Killing her off would be an incredibly cheap and hollow way for Jimmy to experience that loss. She won't die.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Junkyard Poodle posted:

When does jimmy bang Francesca? (Obv in Bb but I can't remember the scene)

In the four-way with Huell and Roof Pizza.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They're nazis that Walt paid and hired, who killed Hank and Gomie because of Walt's actions, and Walt had no issue with them taking and torturing Jesse. He only killed them to try and clear his own conscience and to massage his own ego because they were making his product.

So I believe you will find that both Walt and Nazis are bad and do not count for positive karma.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

drunken officeparty posted:

It's not like they were the SS running Aushwitz. They were just a biker gang kind of thing. A white version of Krazy 8 and Tucos gang in the earlier season.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aryan_Nations
Not exactly Boy Scouts either

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

He killed them to clear his own conscience, of course. But it had nothing to do with massaging his ego anymore at that point. He was out for revenge for the death of Hank. He no longer even cared about the rest of the money they took from him. As with many other people, I fear your overwhelming hatred for the Walter White character may have blinded you to some pretty pivotal character shifts that happened in those final two episodes. The people who have the biggest misconceptions of what goes on in these shows always seem to be those who derive their enjoyment primarily from their seething, self-righteous, simplistic hatred of what are actually pretty three-dimensional anti-villain characters like Walter White and Chuck McGill. (It's almost the other side of the coin as that subset of fans who watch the show rooting unreservedly for Walt while possessing a pathological hatred for Skyler.)

gently caress off back to CineD with this kind of condescending holier-than-thou bullshit, Cnut. I never said I hated Walt.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

jfood posted:

If he hadn't it'd have been a loving miserable show about some loser dying of lung cancer.

Sounds real loving interesting.

Walt did nothing wrong.

Nah, the nazis only came in after season 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Twenty years after Breaking Bad, Walt Jr. is a recently-unemployed DEA agent struggling to put breakfast on the table for his family. After failing to follow in his uncle's footsteps, Flynn takes a page from his dad's playbook and decides to break bad.

Breaking Bad 2: Like Father, Like S-Son

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I know but the actor looks so much older now. They should have used whatever magic they did for Paul Reubens in the Netflix Pee-wee movie.

Esposito doesn't look that much older, and they did the same thing they did with Odenkirk by giving him a slightly different haircut. It's fine.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm betting Jimmy still ends up with a suspension at least.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Wouldn't a battery not in anything not affect Chuck? It isn't actually doing anything electrical or creating a field. Like the wires in walls don't bother him if nothing is actively drawing power through them. He only winced at Mikes drill when he pulled the trigger.

Also there are no Stop and Shops even close to New Mexico.

Earlier in the season he had Ernesto open and install the batteries in the tape player, so he's demonstrated a reaction of sorts to batteries.

Not that it matters, since his illness is entirely psychological.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

maskenfreiheit posted:

check your hubris, or we'll discover next ep is 45 minutes of mike making and consuming a pimento sandwich

I hope the next 4 episodes are Mike eating pimento sandwiches while staking out meth heads

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Huell? Who the heck is Huell? That was LAAAANDSLIDE

:nexus:

I bet his diarrhea is nasty! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

It was a good episode because we finally got a definite answer to the Chicago sunroof thing.

Jimmy already explained that way back in the Bingo meltdown scene.

• Locked thread