Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I have a prediction about tonight's episode- it will be both cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vermain posted:

I imagine it's going to end much as Breaking Bad did: with Slippin' Jimmy admitting that he does what he does because he's good at it. He was a man born to hustle, and when all legitimate avenues get shut in his face, either due to his own incompetence or the mistrust others have in him, he'll naturally end up gravitating towards the one remaining area (criminal lawyering) where he can spin his talents into success.
I think the difference is that Walt was kind of always a shithead, but entering the criminal world only amplified the many negative qualities that were already there.

BCS really plays up the idea that Jimmy, despite his scamming or whatever, has positive traits that someone like Walt never had. I think its still possible for "Gene" to somehow find some kind of redemption.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lucas Black simply lived so fast and so furiously that he began to age unnaturally quickly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

clown shoes posted:

Who watches Better Call Saul but never watched Breaking Bad?
My mother is. She hasn't seen Breaking Bad yet but has been enjoying this show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is where I butt in and remind everyone that Fly is the quintessential BB episode. It tells you everything you'd ever need to know about Walt or Jessie in a tightly written microcosm of their entire relationship. If you don't like Fly, then chances are you don't like 80% of Breaking Bad and you're only in it for the base surface entertainment and gunfights.
"Fly" is the main reason I'm looking forward to The Last Jedi.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He became trapped within the Black Lodge and was replaced with a demonic body double known only as "Heisenberg"...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

California was talking about passing some kind of law outright prohibiting all lawyers from having sex with clients just a few months ago. Apparently it actually is a relatively widespread issue, or at least enough for there to be a somewhat public debate about it.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 29, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Howard is funny to me because he just looks and has this demeanor like he is going to be a douchey villain, and I was waiting for him to turn into one for like 1.5 seasons, but he is probably the most well rounded, sane person on the show and generally a good guy.
To be fair though Howard took the cake.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In general I think Nacho is a bit underused in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Nacho was a huge catalyst for Jimmy's plot in season 1 and Mike's in season 2 though?
He was, but when he's not doing that I feel like he disappears just for chunks of time that are slightly too long to me.

I kind of wish he had as much to do as, say, Hamlin.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I tend to not be as into the Gus and Mike stuff in BCS but Gus' bullshit story about America in the last episode was probably my favorite scene the character has been in.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jfood posted:

If he hadn't it'd have been a loving miserable show about some loser dying of lung cancer.

Sounds real loving interesting.

Walt did nothing wrong.
That's basically the plot of Ikiru and that movie is dope as gently caress. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The lantern releases just enough smoke into the air to give lung cancer to a chemistry teacher named Walter Blanco.

It turns out Better Call Saul is secretly in the Metastasis timeline.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fun fact about the Perry Mason shoutout- Jonathan Banks was actually in one of the Perry Mason TV movies from the 80's.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I forgot how many locations on this show are actual ABQ spaces and not studio-designed. Didn't the people living in "Walt's" house have to give a PSA about please not throwing pizza on their roof?
Yup. Bryan Cranston even mentions it in his autobiography.

That book is sad as poo poo btw, though there's cool stuff in there, particularly once he starts talking about actually filming Breaking Bad and the different fights he was having with people on set.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They were mostly about creative differences. The biggest example to me is Mike's death scene. Cranston absolutely hated the line where Walt said he realized he could have just gotten the list of names from Lydia and thought he should have just looked at Mike with a horrified look or something. The guy who wrote and directed the episode was like "Uh no, say the line", and they spent their limited time to film that scene fighting about it to the point it started to piss off Jonathan Banks, whose final scene it was in the series. They eventually compromised on the delivery of the line that Cranston ultimately gives, but he still says that the line doesn't work as is and spends like a paragraph about how his wife didn't buy the line either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

hiddenmovement posted:

The best pre breaking bad role (except for Mikes psa about tampons) is Giancarlo in Do the Right Thing
I was pretty shocked when I realized he was Buggin' Out in Do the Right Thing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jeroen posted:

Someone edited last week's courtroom scene with the Phoenix Wright soundtrack and it's wonderful (yeeeeees)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc
The black and white flashbacks were a nice touch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That shot with Huell was communicating was that he wasn't just some random guy that Chuck bumped into, but likely the man that Jimmy had hired at the episode's beginning and foreshadowed the scam that made up that episode's climax.

It is also "Here's some Breaking Bad fanservice" if you recognize the actor, but the shot and Huell's inclusion served a purpose naturally in the story beyond just being that.

EDIT: To put it another way, if the character they had used HADN'T been Huell, the formal choices still would have made sense in that scene with Chuck in the hallway.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 17, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Durzel posted:

Cmon man.. do you think they would show the audience someone bumping into Chuck if it didn't have some greater significance than was immediately obvious? I know the show takes it time with things, but it doesn't show stuff that is actually completely irrelevant.
I think they wanted it to be very clear, even to people that didn't watch Breaking Bad or just don't remember who Huell is, that this wasn't some irrelevant encounter.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

S'all good, man.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

poo poo, this really is the season of batteries, isn't it?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

drat I really need to watch Clue again. It's been years and years since I last saw it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I really like the early episodes of BB where it's essentially a show about an odd couple bumbling their way through a life of crime.
Yeah those early episodes kind of remind me of a Coen brothers movie or something. They're fun.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I hate the loving word "protagonist". it's like everyone learned what it meant because of the Hunger Games reviewsand now people won't stop using it whenever it is slightly usable.
Uh what?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think season 1 edges out as the best for me because of how strong "You're not a real lawyer" was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

You know what this show really needs? More nudity.
It does seem to have way less sexual content than Breaking Bad did. It's hard to imagine a scene like the one where Skylar gives Walt a handjob in this show.

• Locked thread