Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is Jimmy scamming this lady or is he for real this time?

He's loving Chuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm gonna need a gif or clip or something of the scramble of the film kids trying to all get in the car.

I love how the boom mic guy just dangles it out the window.

Also, lol at how those scenes were comical, but in the preview it was cut as if it was a tense scene of Jimmy and friends trying to escape something.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cnut the Great posted:

For all the talk of how good he looks (not that he doesn't), Esposito really does stand out the most for being quite obviously older than he was on BB.

Huell really took the prequel idea to heart though. Seriously good on him.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The fact that he's even correct about Jimmy stealing from their dad's till is what gets me. To any outside observer it sounds like such a petty, ancient, baseless accusation but he's absolutely right. Seeing as Chuck got through law school and had a decades-long career before the crazy happened, their dad must have been a pretty decent parent other than the money issues. Chuck probably holds him in high esteem, of course he still begrudges Jimmy for that.

Also makes me wonder if some of Chuck's haughtiness is a reaction to his dad's being a schmuck. I can easily see him watching what Jimmy watched in the flashback and developing into the kind of person that thinks every hobo is a scammer or is going to turn around and spend that quarter on booze and drugs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Attitude Indicator posted:

He did grab some cash for himself, if im not mistaken, deciding he wouldn't be a "sheep." McGill senior was terrible at running a business and would failed it himself. Jimmy just made things slightly worse and Chuck always blamed him for the whole mess.

And it's easy to see why stealing from their struggling dad would embitter Chuck towards Jimmy from an early age, even if the bitterness and blame isn't entirely rational. Imagine yourself in that situation and you'd probably be pissed at Jimmy too, if you loved your dad. It's a bit of a deeper hurt than conning randoms at the bar.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pharmaskittle posted:

I think the nitro thing is probably a fake out and Hector gets crippled by a stroke because that's something that frequently happens to old bitches with heart problems.

Him having the stroke because his nitro pills are fakes is what I'm expecting, but then, that's no guarantee. I'm hoping Hector is in his wheelchair by the finale though. OTOH I love watching him swagger.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wait were people expecting poison? Poison would be obvious and defeat the whole purpose. Nacho's replacing the nitro pills with inert capsules so Hector will (according to plan) appear to die of natural causes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Given the dialogue I'm pretty sure we'll at least meet a Lalo before the end.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nail Rat posted:

God damnit. I always forget about this. :sigh:

Oh gently caress I forgot too

BCS and burritos is my monday ritual and I look forward to it all week :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Squashy Nipples posted:

eh.... it's super hot in the desert south west?

Albuquerque is actually surprisingly cool, due to the elevation. It's still hot compared to northern climes but it tends to top out around 90 or 95 in the summer, it's no Vegas.

It's still hot enough that it's weird how everyone in the BB universe is always wearing jackets.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zoben posted:

Yep. I'm from Wisconsin and I break out the shorts when it's in the 50s outside. When it gets in the 80s and 90s here I'm rather uncomfortable.

I'm from west Texas, far enough west that I'm about as close as you can get to ABQ while still being physically in Texas, but I moved to Ontario for a while. One of my most enduring memories is walking outside in shorts and a t-shirt after my first canadian winter, sometime in late April, and being shocked that the just-above-freezing weather felt physically warm on my skin. It's crazy how quickly people adapt. Especially since we spend most of our time in climate-controlled buildings anyway.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Last Chance posted:

I don't think they're unaware-- there's just this really weird notion that all characters/continuities from their favorite fictional works should come together for a big party

This is how a lot of shows or seasons end. Obviously no crossovers but lots of dance parties or weddings or whatever where the whole gang and your favourite bit characters all come together for a giant fanservicey blowout.

The Office used this more than once.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

maskenfreiheit posted:

Yeah but doesn't ABQ get really hot? Hot enough that wouldn't be sufficient?

The elevation keeps it cooler than people expect, it's considered a cold semi-arid zone. Think Denver not Phoenix.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Starring Mark Margolis in a toupée

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hiddenmovement posted:

Nah, they're fuckheads. He gave them a free commercial, completely risk free for them and all the cost on him upfront, and all he asked in return was if it worked to honor their original agreement. It brought them a fuckload of business and they tried to weasel out.

Help Im Alive posted:

The chuck hate in this thread is especially weird in this episode where he's just trying to get his life back together

These posts go so well together.

Like yeah I like Jimmy and dislike Chuck but if you had to deal with one of them in a serious manner you best hope you get Chuck. The guitar bros were absolutely right to call Jimmy out. He's trying to hustle his "clients", that's the whole point of the past few eps. And agreeing to a verbal deal does not actually oblige you to pay the scumbag commercial guy who's weaseling his way out of his own agreement with the network. You absolutely could and should just hire your own film students and pay the network directly for a vastly reduced expense.

Meanwhile Chuck's main crimes are mental illness, loving his dad, and harboring resentment. He's an rear end in a top hat but most of us are, so... We don't end up being lying hucksters.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

phosdex posted:

I wouldn't really say he's been trying to hustle anyone with his commercials. Unless you can get a crew to shoot, produce and edit for free the cost for the commercial slot isn't the lone expense.

He's sidestepping his contract with the network by trying to sell x commercials once each instead of the more reasonable one commercial, x times. Any of his clients could just reach out to some other desperate film students and make their own commercial, and pay the 450 or whatever for 7 slots instead of paying 6500 for 7 slots but with different commercials. It's not like he's offering an actual professional shoot.

If you don't think that Slippin' Jimmy is hustling then idfk

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Then they shouldn't have agreed to take the first commercial and airing for free. They also could have done all of that research and found out what the airtime cost BEFORE they agreed to taking the first commercial for free.

They said "yeah ok", that doesn't obligate them to do poo poo. Jimmy knows that, he's a loving lawyer. He proceeds to scam them when they call his bluff.

It's a shakedown, just with brains instead of brawn.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

In that scenario, what are you giving me for free? Because Jimmy gave those guys a commercial and airtime for free already.

If I eat a free sample at Costco and like it, should I buy a 30-pack of the product? If I take a free week of spotify premium should I agree to pay for a year of it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you think the guitar dudes were morally obligated to agree to Jimmy's ripoff then I hope to god you're either in jail or never get to run a business or be responsible for anyone. They were dumb to fall for the initial lure but they're neither morally or legally on the hook to buy what he's selling. If your product can be shown to be a scam via cursory 2003 googling then it's a goddam scam.

They were skeptical, gave him a chance, and remained skeptical.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hiddenmovement posted:

If someone comes to you offering a service for free on the proviso that you pay them a finders fee if it works, you owe them a loving finders fee when it turns out to be fantastic.

On top of that guitar store dickheads only offer to pay for the AIRTIME for the first commercial. Jimmy's time as director/producer, the crew that had to get paid, not to mention all that equipment rental, is apparently worthless in your bizarro reality.

You did something like this to someone in real life, didn't you?

What qualifies "it works"?

They saw what Jimmy did, did their research, and decided that it wasn't worth the price he was charging. Jimmy McGill the character is aware that he's a huckster, that's one of the driving forces behind the show. He cons people and he likes it, but is also a pretty good guy otherwise. He lies to clients on the phone. He lies by omission. He's not scum of the earth but he's not someone you'd want to do business with.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hiddenmovement posted:

No, they realized they had him over a barrel and could gently caress him.

I dunno buddy, that depends what your definition of 'is' is.

But for reals, you don't tip do you?

I literally work for tips :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The fact that they willingly admit that it's brought in more business and that customers are mentioning the commercial. The show would not have had the characters explicitly state these things if the audience wasn't meant to take away the point that "the commercial Jimmy made worked."

Did it bring in enough business to make 6 more one-time commercials according to Jimmy's shady proposition? You can declare a store-wide BOGO sale and declare it a success because people come in, that doesn't mean it helps the business or the people working there.

This kinda reminds me of Shameless. Every main character is kind of an rear end in a top hat but they're still likeable, because everyone has motivations to do what they do and everyone has lines they will or won't cross, for whatever reason. That's what makes compelling characters. They're grey.

You can side with Jimmy and still think he needs to stop pulling cons. Kim does.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jun 6, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

timp posted:

Yeah, I really didn't understand this either. He has hustle and a legit skill for making effective commercials. Instead, he could have found 6 or maybe even 5 businesses willing to pay and charged something like $1,200 for a commercial, one free air, and rights to do whatever they want with the commercial after that. Seems reasonable to me, especially if he has a couple positive testimonials and completed commercials to shop around town.

The music store bros. vs. Jimmy argument is getting a bit tired, but fwiw I totally agree that the brothers were being just as lovely as Jimmy, if not more so. His production team, script writing, directing, and production are worth nothing, even when the results have been proven?? gently caress you both identically.

They (his team and skills) are worth something, but lose value when they do a cursory examination and realize he's a con artist. He's selling a "crew" and instead is paying students under the table. He's obfuscating how hard it is to buy air time and pretending to offer a huge bargain. He's passing off last-minute, questionable university studio work as having a professional editing team. He's, at best, lying by omission. And when they refuse he scams them harder.

A "nigerian prince" who's really good at playing stocks and is related to the last sultan of sokoto is still a scam artist.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Karmine posted:

One handy little detail in this episode that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the revelation in the flashback that Jimmy's "stealing from the till" that got Chuck so worked up was an Indian penny here and a buffalo nickel there as opposed to some sort of business/family-destroying thievery. Jimmy's not innocent, but his aw shucks gee whiz dad is more to blame than he is.

Of course he could've just been bullshitting Marco or whatever but I saw as a really nice, subtle resolution of an uncertain plot point. loving amazing episode.

I thought that stuff with the casting director a couple of weeks ago was really interesting but to each their own.

He's previously been shown to finch whole bills?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ak Gara posted:

I bet the whole pill thing is a missdirection, and Don Salamanca gets hit by a bus or something.

I have a strong dislike for people that have the attitude of "I just leave it to other people to deal with, they must know what they're doing, they're professionals!"

She was too stupid to know she was being scammed and she's too stupid even read her own paperwork. Jimmy tricking her into settling, while a dick move, needed to be done.

She is an elderly woman in an assisted living facility, christ dude, I'd punch you if you talked about my grandma like that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In elderly people, stuff like social isolation, depression, and stress can be serious health concerns. What if Irene dies? :(

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hah, there's a Mesa Verde trailer park where I live. Someone should do an inventory of how many things in the real southwest are called Mesa Verde.

FWIW that empty field of oil rigs is a perfect representation of west Texas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

TVIV is the worst forum on something awful and I don't say that ironically or endearingly

DnD called

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Steve2911 posted:

You need to be an absolute oval office to get kicked out of the UK D&D thread.

The various (place)pol threads are kind of their own thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Negrostrike posted:

Jimmy's gonna die.

Season 4 finale cliffhanger: Saul Goodman: "No Chuck... I am your brother."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RedSpider posted:

This is false. I said having a suicide prevention hotline appear on the screen after a fictional character on a TV show kills himself was unartistic, and frankly, quite baffling. It took me out of the show.

TURN: WASHINGTON'S SPIES of course being an in-universe show airing in that timeline's 2003.

RedSpider posted:

This says a lot about how terrible our legal system is, if anything.

Eh, the law leans on the side of providing victims/families an out if there really is a guilty party, which is imo the better way to go.

People getting pressured or lead into suicide is a thing that happens, after all. TV shows are a stretch and Chuck's prolly not the kind of suicide that would inspire anyone but there is an argument to be made against shows that glamorize suicide or make it seem artsy, or a sweet way to get vengeance on those jerks at school, or whatever. Much like rapes or wars or anything else than can potentially be dramatized to look not-horrible, filmmakers should consider strongly before throwing it on screen instead of having it alluded to.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 20, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Side note, I'm amazed at how much the actor playing teenage Chuck sounds like him.

I thought that too, for a second I thought maybe it was somehow Michael McKean doing a youthified voiceover. Pretty great work for a bit part.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Human Crouton posted:

I watched for, and still did not see, a suicide hotline number when I rewatched today.

I think it was a hallucination only seen by whiny suicide wanters, who are ashamed they don't have the balls to end their life by fire like Chuck did.

I hope no one in your circle ever attempts or commits suicide, friend

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

geeves posted:

They just lack the caring girlfriend that encourages them to get back in the car with the gas generator.

Whatever your side in the Better Call Saul Suicide Hotline Debate, that case is hosed up.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/judge-set-announce-verdict-texting-suicide-case-48076568

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PostNouveau posted:

I've seen people bitching about that case in a few threads now. I can only imagine it's edgelords worried that they can't shitpost that people should kill themselves anymore.

I can only hope you're pro-guilty cuz seriously, as an aspiring lawyer and a believer in human dignity, telling a suicidal to go kill themselves is beyond guilty. If someone you know threatens suicide then please call 911 or whatever your local emergency number is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fps_bill posted:

Anyone notice that Kim referred the oilman to sandpiper's lawyers? I could see her not wanting to send clients to GYM, but why not Davis and main?

And oh my, dat rear end in them pajama bottoms.

Schweikert and Kim were buddies, though. He even offered her a partner-track job.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I'm rewatching BB now that the season is done and it's easy to see why it had higher ratings. Something happens in almost every episode and we tend not to meet extraneous characters until they intersect with the Walt/Jesse story.

I really enjoy this show but it is spinning its wheels a little bit. Luckily the characters on screen are fun enough that I don't mind.

Breaking Bad also has more comedy in it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

Do they still just find a location somewhere and sit there doing nothing for an entire season? Then SHOCK as a main character dies for some reason.

No, now they've just stayed in the same place for three seasons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
There's a couple Saul scenes where he really feels like BCS Jimmy. Especially any time he has a conversation with someone while using his floor massage device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

I got prescribed a poo poo ton of oxycodone when I fractured a few bones and got surgery to fix them. I know the current news is about how addictive these things are and how they ruin lives, and I know this is just anecdote so not scientific at all, but for me I kinda just took the pills recreationally until I ran out a couple months later and that was over a year ago and I've never felt any craving or addiction to them. It was just like "oh I'm out of these things, oh well" and life went on. I didn't replace them with anything else either.

I'm sure the stories of how they ruin lives are all true but it's really hard for me to put them all into perspective.

In all seriousness, that's good for you but for less lucky people, gently caress.

Addiction is awful. Seeing Jesse seesaw between morality and the forever-high really clicked with me when BB first aired. gently caress addiction.

• Locked thread