Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

1stGear posted:

I imagine that, to a certain extent, its going to be structured similarly to "Ozymandias" where all the events and choices and mistakes come to a head at once and it all comes crashing down. I think there's a good chance of it happening this season, actually. Chuck tries to accuse Jimmy of fraud, it has enough legs that it drives Kim away, and without those two legs of his life (and presumably a developing relationship with Gus and Mike) there's really no reason for Jimmy McGill to continue.

Its what makes BCS almost more depressing than BB to me. In BB, there was a sense until Ozymandias that maybe things would turn out okay or the rest of the family might escape unscathed. But in BCS, we know this is all going to end poorly and it makes it hard to enjoy what happiness Jimmy and Mike can find. :smith:

Everything in life is going to eventually end poorly. Mike could have just as easily had a heart attack instead of getting shot. You can't just put everything on how it ends. But before that, it looks like BCS should be moving to a happy place. A time period that Saul is wistful over and is crying in the future because he misses it so much. This was an enjoyable part of Saul's life that he thinks fondly of. He was having fun before Walter showed up. The last season before it catches up to BB should not be depressing, I don't think.

And he have no idea what's going to happen to Gene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

lotus circle posted:

A lot of Breaking Bad was like that too.

The few times there wasn't much happening in Breaking Bad were like the small gaps between the excitement to give the audience a chance to breathe. Like Fly being between Hank's shootout with the twins and the crazy roller coaster that was to come in the final episodes of Season 3. It was almost always the case that when you were watching an episode and you were starting to get the feeling that things were slowing down, something explosive would happen. Everything was going well for Walt and Jesse in Season 2, then Skinny Pete would get robbed, leading immediately to Walt giving Jesse a gun to get the money back. Badger gets caught, immediately leading to Saul. Combo gets shot, immediately leading to Jesse being on heroin, in the same episode where Gus is introduced. There was always something.

Better Call Saul is always so uneventful. I was hoping it would be different this year. Still hoping. I mean things have to happen at some point.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

So, so much has happened on this show. It's just that it's mostly character work.

Technically Kim figuring out where to put a semicolon is something happening I guess.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It's a creative way to showcase her meticulousness combined with her current stress.

Yeah, but it's just like the same drama and stress I'm going through this Tuesday morning at work. Want to come watch me in my cube?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Junkyard Poodle posted:

New season, let's see what goons are sayi......

:yikes:

I like the slow burn storyline, cinematography, and performances. Top quality show, better than breaking bad.

quote:

better than breaking bad.

Congrats, you just said a worse thing than anybody. How did you manage that?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

How can you watch Mike take apart a car and do something (I'm still not sure what) with trackers for 20 minutes and not look at your phone?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Easy, I just don't have my phone sitting right next to me when I watch poo poo and I have an attention span that's longer than 10 seconds.

I never felt the urge to look at my phone while watching Breaking Bad. I think it's the show's fault for failing to hold our interest. The show is not doing it's job if we look at our phones. Therefore, in conclusion, the show is bad.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

Interact with art however you please but you're gonna get mocked if you roll up in here and ask for the cliff notes for a Soderbergh-level exposition

I couldn't even make it through the cliff notes + images because i got bored reading about that. Go ahead, mock me, I dare you.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

BCS isn't really doing comedy at all, are they? Compare to Breaking Bad when there were major characters primarily there for comedy. Badger, Skinny Pete, Saul.

Half of Jesse's scenes early on were comedy.

I see BCS compared to the Fly episode sometimes. But the first half of Fly was hilarious. BCS isn't capable of being that funny with it's characters, at least not until Jimmy becomes Saul.

Hank was funny most of the time on Breaking Bad too with his sarcasm and constant joking around.

BCS is probably 1% comedic and 99% seriousness.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 16, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I forgot Tuco was even in Season 2. I was wondering why Mike was following those guys too.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Yes.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Francesca

Edit: I wonder how far this show will go. With Gus and Francesca showing up, we are that much closer to Breaking Bad. I'm guessing maybe just one or two more seasons.

Then there's the post Breaking Bad seasons. And the during Breaking Bad season.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe they can add some zombies.

Maybe they should find a better use of screen time than 20 minutes of Mike driving around looking through binoculars. And Kim deciding where to put a semicolon.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I mean, from a literal path of plot point A to plot point B there's plenty of believable paths they could take.

But from a character development standpoint they're almost painting themselves into a corner where the barrier to transform Jimmy into Saul is becoming insurmountable. Like, watch this scene from his first episode in Breaking Bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTfyuKy5G0c

Remember at the end of season 1, when Jimmy says to Mike that he knows what was keeping him from taking the Kettleman's money and running, and he wasn't going to let it stop him anymore? That was a point where it felt natural and believable that Jimmy could make the leap into what we see here. With what we've seen of how invested Jimmy is in his relationships with Kim and Chuck, and how much he's about to lose, it's much harder to see him being happy as Saul. We know he is, and I don't doubt the writers' abilities to get us there, but drat, it's starting to shape up to be a herculean effort.

It fits perfectly fine for me, even down to him actually looking older in this clip. We already know from BCS that he isn't too thrilled with being a normal lawyer. He believes in showmanship, wants to show his clients a entertaining character, has fun breaking the law. It seems pretty simple to get rid him there. Just lose Kim and Chuck.

We see Saul's human side lots in BB. Mostly near the end when things get serious. Such as when he's swearing to Jesse that he would never have have helped Walt if he had known what he was going to do to Brock.

A crazier transformation will be getting Francesca to this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6LzaoGBeqE

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Dennis System posted:

Watching the first episode of the new season, and I have no memory whatsoever of what happened last season, lmao.

Same. I thought "No big deal, I'll just catch up to what's happening by the dialogue." Lol to that idea. I didn't know until yesterday what Mike was doing following someone and playing with trackers.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Aaron Paul is way too old to show up. It would be like when that 40 year old teenager shows up in Fast 7.

We know Mike doesn't look younger than he did 10 years ago on Breaking Bad. We just have to suspend disbelief for it. We could do that for Aaron if it made sense for him to show up. Unfortunately, it doesn't. He never met Saul or Mike before BB.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Of course Walt is going to show up and of course everyone is going to love it when it happens. And not just in a car wash cameo. Walt had too big a impact on Saul's life not to be in it.

Perhaps if they hadn't shown the flash forwards to the future with Gene, then they could just end the show right before BB starts. But since they show Gene, it would be strange if they didn't show anything of what made him into Gene.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Interesting that half of the viewers went "gently caress this" at Season 1 Episode 1.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Secret Agent X23 posted:

If Mike, everyone's favorite bad-rear end old guy, isn't an acceptable, and maybe even superior, substitute for "gangster stuff," well...I just don't know what to say.

Is Mike fiddling with a tracker and watching people walk around with binoculars gangster stuff?

No one should be surprised that this last episode got the lowest ratings of the series for the way it started and how boring the 1st episode was.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

lotus circle posted:

He was the show's villain long before Gus died.

I thought Skyler was the show's villain?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

The last episode was one of the best and most plot development heavy of the whole series

And yet still, nearly nothing happened.

I mean, Mike is continuing to rob Hector's men and stirring poo poo up for god knows what reason. They killed a good samaritan? Im sure they killed a lot of people. Get over it Mike.

Chuck talked to a lawyer. I was hoping for the trial last week. It better be tonight.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Gene is going to look up Kim on Facebook and find out that she's with Jesse now.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

DarklyDreaming posted:

Counter dude doesn't speak spanish and doesn't know about the drug business

Is that Jesse?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

baw posted:

yea, and i have the sense BCS is more than just being a prequel to explain Saul's origins, it's more crafting the world the Walt stumbles into. And it really highlights just how much Walt managed to disrupt everything

Thank god these poor people had Walt to add some excitement to their lives.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Herv posted:

I started BB up again because I forget everything. Holy poo poo, EP1 is just nuts compared to the BCS pace I have gotten used to.

Yep, that episode would be a whole season of BCS. You could say that for a lot of BB episodes.

Wait until you get to the Better Call Saul episode. That's another one. You don't have to wait to see how they'll get Saul to help them, how Saul will come up with a plan to have Badger walk, see them go through with their plan, see Saul discover that Walt is a chemistry teacher. That all happens on one episode. If that episode was in this show, they would have Hank talking to Saul about Badger being the pivotal scene of a episode. Then that would be it for the week.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

To add to that, I think I mentioned before how my dad won't watch it because he knows it's about the tragic and violent downfall if a family man who makes poor decisions. He doesn't see entertainment in that, and that's fair.

What if you tell them the man doesn't regret it for a second at the end, because I don't think he did. It's the story about a man diagnosed with a terminal illness who found a way to have fun and live life. He turned from a wimpy chemistry teacher into a awesome badass and he provided for his family.

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think Jesse basically gave up on his revenge plans against Hank when Hank got shot by the twins. His reaction as he's leaving the hospital and sees Hank being carted in indicates this, though it's fairly subtle.

Jesse gave up his revenge plans before that when he made to deal to be Walt's partner. They tell Hank that Jesse dropped the charges for some reason. Then he gets shot by the twins in the next scene.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 5, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The part where junior is holding a knife at him, defending his mom from her husband, and then said husband goes and (Even temporarily) kidnaps his own daughter, all while his brother in law lay dead and crudely buried in the New Mexico desert seems to contradict you here.

But the show doesn't end there. He does die with a smile on his face after finding a way to get money to his family, saving Jesse, and admitting to Skyler that he did it all because he liked it, he was good at it, and he was alive.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

Enough to make up for poisoning a child? Hmm, actually, yeah, that checks out.

It had to be done. It was the lives of his family vs a child being temporarily sick.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're nazis that Walt paid and hired, who killed Hank and Gomie because of Walt's actions,

Actually because of Jesse. How was Walt to know that Hank and Gomie were with Jesse when he called the nazis to come?

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 6, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I really hope that Vince, Gould, and co. already have an ending game plan for BCS. With BB, they said all the time that they were turning Mr Chips into Scarface, but what would the idea for Saul be? It's not as interesting simply explaining the lead-up to him showing up in BB; there's gotta be a hook for the post-BB/Gene part of his life.

Really, it's an area that they have relative carte-(noir and)-blanche. Everything before has to connect up to BB, but Gene's a wildcard.

Chances are they don't. I was relistening to some of the Breaking Bad podcasts. When they did the Season 5 flashforwards of Walt getting a machine gun and getting ricin, they didn't even know what either of those things would be used on. They love winging it. And they're pretty good at it or at least they were for BB.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nah, the nazis only came in after season 4.

He called the nazis because Jesse was trying to burn 80 million dollars. Before that, he tried to burn his house down. He had to poison Brock to kill Gus which he had to do because he saved Jesse's life. It all comes down to Jesse's fault.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I've been thinking about it and Breaking Bad fails the Bechdel test pretty spectacularly for a critically-acclaimed TV series with 5 seasons

There are only ten named female characters that I can think of, after wracking my brain, and only six of them are really plot-critical:

Skyler
Marie
Jane
Lydia
Gretchen
Andrea
---------------
Wendy (meth addict hooker)
Carmen (high school principal)a
Kaylee (Mike's granddaughter)
Francesca (Saul's receptionist)

And of the six important ones, the only ones to ever meet each other are Skyler and Gretchen/Skyler and Marie, and all of their conversations are about Walt (or Ted) in one way or another.

Yikes.

Wrong, Skyler and Marie had a dumbshit conversation about a stolen tiara where Skyler was her typical bitchy self forcing Marie to apologize even though it was something that had happened many episodes prior. Therefore, the series is not sexist.

Thank you lovely pointless shoplifting storyline.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

SlipkPIe posted:

Show will end with the characters discovering The Fountain of Youth

To resurrect Walt and make Breaking Bad 2.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

It can't be too far from BB, I'd think. I'd guess less than a year

Saul went bald pretty fast then. He still had great hair at the end of BB.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Hell yea, I was just rewatching Granite State, Forster's Breaking Bad episode and he's so drat likable.

"If you look around, it's kinda beautiful."

I just saw that one too. Lmao, the dark humor of Todd's relationship with Lydia. What a character. He gives Jesse ice cream. I forgot about that.

I wonder when we'll see Todd in BCS.

The Cinnabon shop didn't look that rough.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Oh, Todd's charms were definitely working on her. Watch their last scene. She was letting him sit next to her (previously she didn't want him or anybody to) and she was smiling the whole time while he was giving her compliments. Walt ruined a beautiful thing.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Karmine posted:

UNRELATED: I'm doing a Breaking Bad rewatch and knowing what we know from BCS and future episodes of BrBa, it's loving nuts how lovely Tuco is to Hector. Obviously Hector is paralyzed and can't wield power like he could in the BCS days, and obviously Tuco is a loving lunatic, so it makes perfect sense, it's just really sort of tragic watching him get verbally abused by his dangerous but stupid nephew when we know how fearsome, powerful, and clever he used to be.

Really? The shock of those scenes seeing them for the first time was this mean prick murdering rear end in a top hat Tuco taking care of this old man feeding him and I guess changing his diapers. When Tuco thinks Hector is complaining because Tuco has the bigger plate for food, he actually swaps plates with him. When he thinks they did something to Hector, the way he screams "What did you to my Tio?" told me that he cared deeply for him.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, that is him isn't it?

He was in Season 2 also. Poor Crazy 8.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Still waiting on Todd, Bill Burr, and Amelio. They'll definitely show up.

What about Hank? Would it make sense for him to show up?

Great to see Lydia back.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Those of you who thought Saul and Kim were in their early 30s, how old did you think Chuck was, who's being played by a 69 year old?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

With Krazy-8 making repeat appearances and Emelio definitely having a future part to play, it would just be bizarre if Jesse didn't show up.

Aaron Paul better start running some marathons and lose that weight.

Here's some advice for Aaron.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2oO98C6Nw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

TBeats posted:

This is from several pages ago but have you ever seen her do any interviews? She's neurotic, annoying, crazy, and I would want to stuff her in a locker when she's Lydia. But Laura Fraser is bae :3:

The opposite. Laura Fraser is the one with the British accent. (or Scottish, whatever) I don't know why she doesn't force herself to talk like Lydia all the time.

• Locked thread