Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Ditocoaf posted:

The first two seasons functioned well as a standalone show.

Not really. Who would watch a show about lawyers and meandering low stakes drama unless they knew with a certainty that it was going to some place fun and exciting? I can't imagine someone sticking with it if they didn't know about Saul and didn't know Mike was going to be involved with a big drug empire.

Thank god for Gus and Hector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I didn't know the shredding school schedules were BS until now. I'd always assumed based on that that Saul gave Walt some information about what time Brock would be going between classes, going to recess, or going to lunch. Then Walt concocted some story so he could be along with Brock and give him some poison-mixed food. Perhaps Walt had Huell and Kuby distract the teachers or something.

This is a blank that I've thought for a long time that Better Call Saul could fill and it would be good to see since it's a pivotal moment for Saul. It's a moment where Saul finally wants out and isn't allowed by Walt to get out. They'd have to find a actor that looks like Brock.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Use this time to rewatch old Better Call Saul commercials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db-RFNJDO3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3DY1_zijgA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F2oO98C6Nw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-nhEHXQcTs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnHtGgVAUE

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I recommend everyone skip to at least the 30 minute mark on the podcast. Unless you want to hear about where they buy their suits or how long Patrick Fabian can plank for.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Work Friend Keven posted:

Season 5 is when Walt realizes that he actually is in fact a bad guy. He gets hank killed, realizes that he killed mike for no reason other than wanting to kill mike, sells Jessie into slavery, and finally admits to himself that he did the whole thing because he wanted to, not because he needed to.

I think the story generally tried to point out that walts actions were very bad within the context of the world but many of the ways they tried to show this were weaker parts of the story. I'm thinking of the plane crash in particular.

Walt didn't want Hank to get killed, he was willing to give up 80 million dollars to Hank would live. Doesn't sound like something a bad guy would do.

Jesse was a rat and so, deserved slavery.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

What Jimmy/Saul did was dirty as gently caress but Walter White literally killed people and was an abhorrent monster. Jimmy/Saul still has a soul but I doubt he'll ever come close to becoming what Walt was.

Saul wanted people killed too. Walt just wouldn't go along with the people Saul wanted killed.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

It shouldn't be a surprise but Jimmy making old ladies cry is just the beginning according to the writer of the episode.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/allens...y/#2bed1975bb83

quote:

Do you worry about how much goodwill you’ll have lost?

Unfortunately, I think that’s a place where our hands are somewhat tied. We still have a long way to go still. Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad seems fairly dead inside. There’s not a lot of spark of Jimmy. A little in his charisma and his derring do. That sweetness we see in Jimmy seems not just gone but long gone in Saul. We had to start pushing him in that direction and see what are the steps that get him there. What are his intentions? He’s hurting the little old ladies, emotionally, but they’re going to get their settlement, they’re going to get money out of it

It's interesting that the writer refers to Saul as being dead inside.

This is going to be Walt all over again. Imagine what Jimmy is going to do worse than this.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this is actually how I saw it. Perhaps the end justifies the means?

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." - Vince Gilligan on this week's podcast.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This is the end point for Jimmy. He has to get to where he doesn't give a drat if his clients murder old people. Making good progress.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Data Graham posted:

If they're going to make Saul from the protagonist into the villain of his own show in much the same way they did with Walt, they're going to have to raise up a new protag to take his place in our hearts, the way they did with Jesse.

Is it going to be Chuck, Hamlin, or Kim?

Isn't that already Kim? It can't be Chuck. He's the one that started this mess. He's the the reason Jimmy is moving to the dark side.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Jesse was the reason Walt moved to the dark side.

Jesse didn't go up to Walt and go "Oh hey, nerdiest old dude I know, want to cook meth with me?"

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

I have a good friend that stopped watching Breaking Bad at the end of season 2 because it was too boring.

I could see stopping at Season 1 or before you get to Saul and Gus. I had to convince my friends to continue there. But stopping after you get to Saul, Gus, and Mike, and after seeing Walt let Jane die seems unimaginable.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm surprised to hear the writers say Saul in BB was dead inside. I never got that vibe.

Not even from a video like this?

He's funny but really doesn't care but the victims of his clients. He makes a living out of keeping drunk drivers, drug dealers, and murderers out on the street. He cares only about himself. He's fine with having Jesse and Hank be murdered so he won't have to go to jail.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

You need to be an absolute oval office to get kicked out of the UK D&D thread.

Actually I saw some great hilarious GBS posters get kicked out of the UK D&D thread.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

She really can't die until the end because then there would be zero likable characters on the show.

But then maybe this next episode is the end.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Imagine if we don't get to ever see Saul on Better Call Saul.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

Yep. It's not too slow at all. Some people just don't have enough patience. Not the show's fault

No, it's slow. It's been 3 years and we just had Jimmy taking his first step towards becoming Saul, which was making an old lady cry to get money, and they took it back. It took like 15 episodes just for Mike to find Gus and make an agreement with him. There was nothing exciting about it and really I don't know why it was something we even needed to see. It was straightforward Mike found Gus and now they're working together. That was not worth incredibly long scenes of Mike looking at binoculars and a long montage of Mike taking a car apart and still more long scenes of Mike doing something with a tracker. The Nacho storyline with Hector should have been one or two episodes not the entire season. I don't care that much about Nacho because we don't know that much about him. It's kind of neat to see what made Hector become confined to a wheelchair but I don't give a poo poo if Hector pulls out a gun and shoots Nacho.

I like the show, I'll never quit watching, but I don't love the show. I don't try to get friends and family to watch as I did with Breaking Bad as I don't feel it's must see.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

RJWaters2 posted:

Stretch this story as thin as you like, it's the journey not the destination. I don't expect or need Saul Goodman until the final season, much like Walter wasn't a kingpin until 5A.

But the journey still feels like it's at the beginning or close to it. Walt on the other hand was doing heinous unforgivable things in Season 2.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

RJWaters2 posted:

That's because Jimmy has been Saul since his teens, just without the suits and strip mall. Walter had much further to travel between Mr. C.H.i.P.s and Scarface.

Bob Odenkirk says that what makes Saul is the selfishness and lack of care about others. A few episodes ago he was on the podcast and he disagreed with Kelley Dixon's opinion that making a deal with the drug dealer to get $700 for performing a service was Saul. Bob said talking people into giving him money was what Jimmy was doing as a teenager. That means we still haven't seen Saul. We thought we saw Saul in episode 9 this year but the show took it back. He's still caring in the final episode. He's not too different in the final episode than he was in Season 1 Episode 1.

I hope Chuck dying will be a push in that direction but this is third time I watched a season finale and thought that.

His actions in the final episode even go against how the Season 1 finale ended. About how he'll never let doing the right thing get in his way again.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 24, 2017

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Can anyone defend what they did with Mike this year? I thought the storyline about how he got to work with Gus was going to be more dramatic than that. The show just basically said "It happened, yawn."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sure. This season shows the shift from Half-Measure Mike to Full-Measure Mike.

Half-Measure Mike refused to kill Tuco and believed he could solve the situation non-lethally, which only got him involved further in the Salamanca's business. Instead of going after Hector directly when they threatened his family, Half-Measure Mike went after Hector's business, and inadvertently got an innocent bystander killed because of it. Going after Hector at that point is too-little-too-late and has more to do with Mike's own pride coming back at him than any personal threat Hector poses.

In season 3 Gus offers Mike full measures. If you really want to get revenge against Hector, instead of killing him go all the way and make sure he suffers for his crimes. If you really want to support your family, don't just scrape by with piddly odd jobs. Go all the way and make big money and get all of it for yourself. We even see the side story of Mike with the widow, where he realizes if he's going to get justice for the Samaritan, he's going to go all the way and make sure the Samaritan doesn't just get disappeared. His advice to Nacho echoes this: if you're going to make your own pass at Hector, make sure you don't gently caress it up, make sure it doesn't come back to you.

Mike showing up to Lydia's office is the birth of Full-Measure Mike. He's no longer a former cop that does odd jobs on the side to support his family. He's a criminal with a cover identity. We even see him take ownership of the cover identity Gus offers him when he gives himself the title of "security consultant."

But Mike was already making the big money before he met Gus in Season 2. He was already doing the work getting $200,000. Now he's just doing work to hide it. I don't see how that's any more of a full measure. And I thought the birth of Full-Measure Mike was when a girl got killed when he was a cop and he could have prevented it. However even if this is all completely correct and it's not just reaching to find meaning, it's still very undramatic. So much so that they couldn't even think of anything for him to do in the finale. There was no story of his they could use to conclude this season because he didn't have much of a story. He barely did anything in the episode before the finale.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Cnut the Great posted:

It's absolutely not a "Why not?" This is a common defense of Saul's actions, but it doesn't line up with either the acting, the context, or the intent of the lines at all. He repeatedly suggests that they just kill Badger, even long after Walt and Jesse have solidly committed to the Jimmy In-'N-Out plan. Saul really doesn't want to do their plan because it's so risky and hard to pull off in comparison to a simple prison shanking.

Then later he suggests killing Jesse, who's similarly about to snitch. Saul has no problem having snitches killed. It's a tool of the criminal lawyer trade.

The worst thing he did was suggest that Hank be murdered. Even as horrible as Walt became he never once wished for the death of someone not associated with their business. You never saw him planning on killing law enforcement.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

What I remember from the fast-paced high action TV of Breaking Bad was Walt and Jesse falling out and making up three times a season.

Yep, and it was awesome. The beauty of it was that each time the fight was a little worse, each time they made up they felt a little closer, so it never felt repetitive.

And I don't know why Fly keeps getting brought in comparison to BCS. Fly was a chance to breathe in the middle of a Season 3 thrillride. Fly gave us some of the most important characterization for Walt in that it showed us his true feelings for some major events. It showed us that he wished he had died already because of the things he had done. Fly has more in common with a episode like Five-O of BCS, that no one complains about, than it does some of the complete total filler episodes of BCS like Episode 1 this year where Mike is playing with cars for 10 hours and staring at people with binoculars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

What did Jonathan Banks do this season to get a emmy nom? I could look at people with binoculars and take cars apart.

This is like when Peter Dinklage keeps getting nominated over Alfie Allen despite Dinklage's character doing nothing for the past two years of GoT.

• Locked thread