Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Op is a chav. A cultureless swine.

:synpa: :synpa: :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Chavs don't post online they walk around and pick fags out of gutters

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I use my cast iron to make pork chops and steak and clean it like once a month or two and they come out perfect every time :colbert:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I got one I do meats in occasionally but really it's just not as good as using a grill

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I saw that snipe edit you giant goob

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

.instead you gotta wash them separately and scrub with steel wool

No, you don't. You don't take steel wool to it, jesus christ.

Cast Iron is fine and good. This is just Millenniums attaching to something and going all autistic and coming up with a bunch of bullshit, useless steps to things so that they can show people how good at something they are.

HERES THE STEPS:

COOK FOOD

EAT FOOD

WASH PAN

DRY OFF

RUB WITH A LITTLE OIL

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

pork chops should be grilled unless youre cookin em in a gravy or somethin

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It would be nice if they didn't cause every kind of food to stick and form a crust, especially now that they cheap out and come with a rough non-polished cooking surface. The vintage ones that come with a mirror-smooth surface are exempt from this complaint of course

It would be a lot more convenient if they could handle getting washed with soap like every other kitchen utensil...instead you gotta wash them separately and scrub with steel wool

Finally they're heavy. As a buff goon I can handle them with ease but you can't really hang them like other pans, and many shelves/cabinets will buckle under their load.

I would be willing to put up with all this if they offered copper-like conductivity but it takes a while for them to heat up and they're prone to hot-spots.

Cast-iron is ok but there's little advantage to using it over any other kind of uncoated cooking material. just my thoughts though, who gives a poo poo really

They shouldn't stick so bad - use more oil.

They work fine and the alternative is expensive-rear end clad pans that cost 5-10 times as much

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
can someone post the superpan infomercial sketch from Mr. Show as my comment I don't know how to reply imbedded video from the phone

tia

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How much loving oil do these things need? I'm going to buy olive oil stocks because its loving ridiculous how much oil you guys are talking about using on it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Who is washing with steel wool lol? Salt and the scrubby part of a sponge is all you need

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

1500quidporsche posted:

How much loving oil do these things need? I'm going to buy olive oil stocks because its loving ridiculous how much oil you guys are talking about using on it.

You ever fried an egg in a stainless steel pan? That much

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

now you need to salt it??

lmbo ya its so simple

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I just made fried rice in a STAINLESS STEEL PAN and it turned out great! (:

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

Tiny Bug Child posted:

you absolutely can use soap on a cast iron pan. i wash mine w/ soap p much every time i use it and the seasoning is still beautiful glossy black. if soap makes your seasoning come off you didn't do it right

cast iron is literally easier to maintain than teflon, you can jab it with whatever cooking utensils you want without accidentally scraping carcinogenic flakes into your food

THANK YOU

Humble Bunda
Jan 14, 2008

We're all trying to find the guy who did this!
Just throw salt, oil, soap, and water in the pan and then use a belt sander to scrub it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You ever fried an egg in a stainless steel pan? That much

I fry my eggs in teflon so they use minimal oil because they're non stick. :getin:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

1500quidporsche posted:

I fry my eggs in teflon so they use minimal oil because they're non stick. :getin:

You're missing out on a lot of flavor bud

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I'm going to spend my time seasoning, salting, and cleaning a pan to create a non-stick surface instead of just buying a non-stick pan.

Humble Bunda
Jan 14, 2008

We're all trying to find the guy who did this!
ya you're never gonna get into flavortown like that

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Cast iron, teflon, who cares? The real issue is that there are people in this thread who are washing their cast iron pans only after a loving fortnight or more gently caress just wash it after every use wtf

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

satanic splash-back posted:

I'm going to spend my time seasoning, salting, and cleaning a pan to create a non-stick surface instead of just buying a non-stick pan.

They come pre-seasoned you know

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
lol if you don't use a red copper pan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oWHLaKPjps

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

You're missing out on a lot of flavor bud

yes I forgot that one secret to all great chefs which is to cook everything in half a liter of italian olive oil.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

1500quidporsche posted:

yes I forgot that one secret to all great chefs which is to cook everything in half a liter of italian olive oil.

Butter

This actually is the secret to high-end restaurant cooking

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

where can I buy this????

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

If you ain't cooking your eggs in as much buttery as humanly possible you're doing it wrong

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Butter

This actually is the secret to high-end restaurant cooking

I've watched those gordon ramsey shows on occasion and he'll always ramble on about needing "fresh local ingredients" and then like five minutes later it'll show him cooking an egg or some fish in a sea of butter lol.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Years before they got trendy princess toadstool was using a cast iron pan to kick rear end in Super Mario RPG.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

~~*my cast iron skillet*~~

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

cast iron is cool but the incremental improvement in taste isnt worth the hassle most of the time imo

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
not only is gbs insufferable as gently caress, it is also wrong as gently caress now, about everything

Cast iron pans own

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
my grandma had some badass ancient cast iron cooking gear. if only I had known then what I know now. drat cousins from down south came up after she died and snaked that poo poo.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

if cast iron was good GOTHAM STEEL would be stretching one atom of cast iron over their lovely aluminum cookware instead of copper they got from methed out scrappers

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
if you eat enough fatty garbage for a cast iron skillet to be worth it then you're going to die quicker than any amount of time you save will make up for it

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

interwhat posted:

not only is gbs insufferable as gently caress, it is also wrong as gently caress now, about everything

Cast iron pans own

hmmm anime avatar guy thinks cast iron is good so it must be bad thanks for clearing that up

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If I didn't own a nice grill I might give a poo poo but I can cook a steak perfectly drunk as hell so why else do I need a cast iron

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

i've probably eaten like 3 pounds of teflon over the course of my life i can't wait to get cancer

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cast iron pans are a fad thing now? Time really is a flat circle.

Just like cast iron pans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you smoke a cigarette for each ounce of canola oil in a teflon pan all three cancers cancel out

• Locked thread