Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

drowned in pussy juice posted:

If I didn't own a nice grill I might give a poo poo but I can cook a steak perfectly drunk as hell so why else do I need a cast iron

All meats should be grilled unless they are breaded tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I feel like you're drawing a false dichotomy between grilling and frying where there's no such thing as a nice easy shallow fry

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

teflon causes cancer maybe just use stainless steel with a copper core to hold the heat and clean it well :smug:

I'll be shucky darned just don't let it get hotter than 500 degrees and it is safe. Totally worth the risk to avoid using a loving scrub brush http://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/teflon-pans

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 4, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

If you smoke a cigarette for each ounce of canola oil in a teflon pan all three cancers cancel out
i dunno if teflon is really cancerous, but dupont is an amazingly garbage company

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/magazine/the-lawyer-who-became-duponts-worst-nightmare.html?_r=0

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Uh no you need to season it every time so food doesn't stick, and strip the grease with hot water and steel wool every time you cook meat.

What in the gently caress are you doing on your cast iron? They're loving great, but they don't replace non-stick teflon pans. You should cook poo poo like steak, bacon, and simple chicken on it, sauces and stuff make it messy as poo poo, just use dried spices like cayenne or salt.

I had no idea the pan was a meme though, I've just got the emeril one.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i dunno guys i just cook with it and then wipe it down and put it away and it works real good and everything is tasty. :shrug:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

What in the gently caress are you doing on your cast iron? They're loving great, but they don't replace non-stick teflon pans. You should cook poo poo like steak, bacon, and simple chicken on it, sauces and stuff make it messy as poo poo, just use dried spices like cayenne or salt.

I had no idea the pan was a meme though, I've just got the emeril one.

Yeah they're dirt cheap and broiler safe, I bought a few when I was broke and still like them despite the clunkiness.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
theyre a loving hunk of metal you cook meat on. take it camping! throw it at a bear. i love cast iron pans. thanks

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

1500quidporsche posted:

yes, "grill the meats"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Enfield posted:

theyre a loving hunk of metal you cook meat on. take it camping! throw it at a bear. i love cast iron pans. thanks

tell us about fighting bears.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

tell us about fighting bears.

theres actually a story about some guy that was eaten by a bear and his wife hit the bear with a cast iron pan. id find it but im going to bed now. i hope you all have a horrible evening

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

just oil the pan with loving ten cents a barrel vegetable oil what the gently caress you don't oil it with artisanal hand-milked olive oil

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

i dunno guys i just cook with it and then wipe it down and put it away and it works real good and everything is tasty. :shrug:

Yeah it's always been pretty easy for me. I use pretty much all cast iron but I do have a couple of those ceramic coated pans or whatever. If you want a non-stick pan I think those are far better than teflon.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Enfield posted:

theres actually a story about some guy that was eaten by a bear and his wife hit the bear with a cast iron pan. id find it but im going to bed now. i hope you all have a horrible evening

quote:

Bear breaks into house, attacks, but resident attacks back. Local animal rights groups outraged.

VICTORIA, BC (PRWEB) May 26, 2004 -- In an attempt to get a free meal, what was described as a "very large" bear broke into the rural homestead of a BC college student, who was home on vacation at the time. The student, who would only give his name as Ryan, says, "I had just grilled out some salmon and walked back into the dining room to eat. Just as I had just sat down, it sounded at though someone was trying to break down my door." As Ryan went to investigate, the door burst open and the gaping maw of a northern Kodiak bear appeared inside his living room. Ryan recalls, "It was the scariest moment of my life, right up there with the fishing accident in Sasketoon when I was twelve."

As the bear forced it's way into the dining room area, the beast found the grilled salmon it had smelled from what authorities estimated was over a mile away, where they found the bear's tracks around a small cave. Ryan tried shouting at the bear to get it to leave, but the bear seemed to be intent on the salmon it was feasting on.

Ryan then proceeded to throw various kitchen utensials at the bear to get it's attention. "I wasn't sure what I was going to do," he said. "After I hit the bear in the head with a wooden spoon, the bear started coming after me!" The would-be bear snack ran to the other side of the kitchen counter as the bear raised up on it's hind legs and tried swatting at him. "The bear was blocking my way to my room where I actually have a gun, so I found the only thing I had that I did not throw at him, my frying pan." he relates. "I picked up the frying pan and shouted, bring it on, bring it on!" Ryan jumped over the counter and started swinging the frying pan. The animal, estimated at six feet tall on all fours and over eight hundred pounds, got back on all fours and started to charge the young man. When the bear was about 1 foot away from him, Ryan swung the cast iron frying pan and hit the bear on the right side of its head. "The bear appeared to be dazed, so I just kept pounding him with the frying pan."

"After I hit the bear about fifteen times, the bear fell to the floor, but I dared not let up. I hit him for about another five minutes until he was not moving at all," Ryan says. Only then did he take the time to call for local law enforcement. "When the police showed up, they could not believed what they saw."

"It was the craziest thing I've ever seen," said Officer F. Barnes, of the Victoria crime scene investigation unit. "He actually killed a bear with a frying pan." The local wildlife officer showed up and took measurements of the bear, one of the largest involved in a home invasion incident in recent memory.

The bear caused about $400 dollars in damage to the house. There is no word on what became of the animal's body, but local animal rights activists are filing to take posession of the bear's remains, claiming it was an immoral act of killing, and Ryan should not be allowed to make a bearskin rug out of it. Darcy Morris, president of the local chapter of Animal Rights Abuse Watch (ARAW), says, "This young man should be prosecuted, not praised. The bear was simply following his natural instincts, and had this Ryan criminal left it alone, no harm would have been done. It's disgusting, and he can expect to hear from our lawyers." Ryan's attorney could not be reached for comment.

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah it's always been pretty easy for me. I use pretty much all cast iron but I do have a couple of those ceramic coated pans or whatever. If you want a non-stick pan I think those are far better than teflon.

:same:

edit: I always use soap with mine and it's fine lol

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiny Bug Child posted:

you absolutely can use soap on a cast iron pan. i wash mine w/ soap p much every time i use it and the seasoning is still beautiful glossy black. if soap makes your seasoning come off you didn't do it right

cast iron is literally easier to maintain than teflon, you can jab it with whatever cooking utensils you want without accidentally scraping carcinogenic flakes into your food

I mainly like my cast iron skillet because I bought it for $15 at wal-mart when I moved to Oklahoma ten years ago and it's a better pan today than it was when i bought it

I have to throw out my teflon pans every other loving year

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Patware posted:

just oil the pan with loving ten cents a barrel vegetable oil what the gently caress you don't oil it with artisanal hand-milked olive oil

lmbo look at this pleb not using imported first pressing Italian olive oil.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that wasnt the story but thats pretty awesome

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Holy poo poo siding with the bear, people are loving insane.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I find that skillets made from cheap Chinese pig iron to have the best flavor profile.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

This thread is misleading. Everybody knows meme generators are insufferable vegetarian scrub lords and they sure as hell won't grill loving veggies on a cast iron pan.

Cast iron is both cool and good and is for cooking stuff that had parents

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Don't ever read the cast iron thread in GWS. Goons there like to strip and re-season their pans daily after cooking a single egg in them, then wonder why their pans aren't building up the seasoning our grandmother's pans have. IT'S BECAUSE YOU KEEP STRIPPING THE OG SEASONING.

Leave the seasoning alone and COOK. MORE. BACON.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

how do you season a cast iron pan if you are a vegetarian?

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

1500quidporsche posted:

lmbo look at this pleb not using imported first pressing Italian olive oil.

don't buy italian olive oil it's fake

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You Are A Elf posted:

Don't ever read the cast iron thread in GWS. Goons there like to strip and re-season their pans daily after cooking a single egg in them, then wonder why their pans aren't building up the seasoning our grandmother's pans have. IT'S BECAUSE YOU KEEP STRIPPING THE OG SEASONING.

is that the meme? goddamn i want to be "in" on the meme for once.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

how do you season a cast iron pan if you are a vegetarian?

Piss.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

1500quidporsche posted:

Uh is this a honeypot thread??

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Harald posted:

is that the meme? goddamn i want to be "in" on the meme for once.

Yes. Yes, it is.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You Are A Elf posted:

Yes. Yes, it is.

okay thanks. I guess I'll just get a pan super hot and sear my hand on it or w/e kids these days are doing.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

If you don't eat two sticks of butter an hour before pissing in your pan it won't have the right consistency

Please keep this thread amateur-friendly

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

:same:

edit: I always use soap with mine and it's fine lol

Lmao holy poo poo Ryan is a hero

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

myDad posted:

Uh is this a honeypot thread??

I just remembered bacon so there's that. But beyond that literally what meat would you prefer to cook in a pan over a grill?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

You Are A Elf posted:

Whyyyyyyy? Just throw the pan in the garbage and get stainless steel.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

1500quidporsche posted:

I just remembered bacon so there's that. But beyond that literally what meat would you prefer to cook in a pan over a grill?

i think that there might be a...uh...meme about grilling meats or something.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what happened to ryan when he went fishing in saskatoon I need to know

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

1500quidporsche posted:

Bacon can go on the grill.

Best grill meats are plump, succulent sausage, honey-smoked bacon, and glistening, sizzling

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

1500quidporsche posted:

pan fried loving anything

cast iron skillets rule the loving roost for pan frying.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

what happened to ryan when he went fishing in saskatoon I need to know

Saskatoon is a garbage bin as is Saskatchewan in general.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

You talk to anybody today and they're telling you about how great their cast iron pan is. I'm sick of this, they're fussy high maintenance items that just make everything you cook in it taste like the last twelve meals you had. Why in the gently caress do I need to "season" a cooking utensil? You know what is low maintenance, wipe-cleanable and lets you taste what you're actually cooking? Teflon.
good cast irons can be pretty cheap and good anodized nonstick is expensive

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mirthless posted:

pan fried loving anything

cast iron skillets rule the loving roost for pan frying.

There's literally no difference between a skillet and a pan. And if you think so you're the lovely kind of millennial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The second part of the meme is to get a brand new pre-seasoned Lodge pan (which are still good pans right from the factory) when you can't find an old Griswold or Wagner Ware pan for cheap anywhere...

...and strip the seasoning from the pan because you think the pre-seasoning isn't good enough. Bonus points if you take a Dremel or grinder of some sort to the cooking surface because old pans used to machine the cooking surface smooth, and you don't want your friends to think you're a cast iron poser with a new Lodge pan, do you?.

• Locked thread