Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Llewelyn Moss in like the first scene goes and gets a nickle plated .45 cold/colt clone and just sticks it in the back of his pants and it is clear that he is not wearing a belt. The fact that his pants pull some plumber action and he can't even be bothered to wear a belt are triggering me.

How can I get over this feeling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendigee posted:

You can't. :smith:

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

:(

He can afford a nice rifle and scope but not a belt. It is very sad.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
but more importantly - why would you want to?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lou ellen is a girls name

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendigee posted:

:(

He can afford a nice rifle and scope but not a belt. It is very sad.

No country for old men, srry duder. :shrug:

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
no belts for old butts

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Soup du Journey posted:

lou ellen is a girls name

ehhh Llewelyn is a welsh name... That is bad enough please don't rub it in. Heck it was one of the most common names in the middle ages. Sorry about you not reading books Soupsy!

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If you're gonna put a colt .45 in your butt you should wear a belt IMHO.

What is even more triggering, although probably smart since he didn't have a loving belt, is that he didn't charge it so he couldn't shoot his butt off.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

people told me the movies EXACTLY like the book and it's not, was so triggered

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Wendigee posted:

ehhh Llewelyn is a welsh name... That is bad enough please don't rub it in. Heck it was one of the most common names in the middle ages. Sorry about you not reading books Soupsy!

if you want to sound really knowledgeable you pronounce Llewellyn like the Welsh do, with the breathy ll's and everything

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Flip. A. Coin.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

if you want to sound really knowledgeable you pronounce Llewellyn like the Welsh do, with the breathy ll's and everything

what like looh-hwellyn? hloow-whellyn? give some tips here

I really like this movie.

I kinda wish they would do one for "Blood Meridian" but it would probably suck or be a failure. Little too dark maybe for a movie.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 4, 2017

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendigee posted:

If you're gonna put a colt .45 in your butt you should wear a belt IMHO.

What is even more triggering, although probably smart since he didn't have a loving belt, is that he didn't charge it so he couldn't shoot his butt off.

I wonder if it gets stinky? :shrug:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

phasmid posted:

Flip. A. Coin.

That whole "Don't put it in your pocket, it's your lucky quarter." bit is just awesome.

I especially like when he kinda half-snorts at the old man saying how he got that store and goes "You married into it?"

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I wonder if it gets stinky? :shrug:

oh geeze why did you bring this up. It did seem to be covered inside by his tucked in shirt but if that man has stinky butt, it's going straight to the gun. Do trailer homes have proper showers?

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
this reminds me of that thread that was like "explain your sex life with a movie title', except the exact opposite of that, if that makes sense.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wendigee posted:

oh geeze why did you bring this up. It did seem to be covered inside by his tucked in shirt but if that man has stinky butt, it's going straight to the gun. Do trailer homes have proper showers?

I mean is he putting it in his buttcrack or on a buttcheek? A few rounds and I reckon that fuckers gonna smell like hot poo. :clint:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Harald posted:

no belts for old butts

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

They really need to put that guy in more movies.

Not just the actor, the character. Just showing up in random violent movies with his pneumatic spike and that inexplicable shotgun supressor.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Honky Dong Country posted:

That whole "Don't put it in your pocket, it's your lucky quarter." bit is just awesome.

I especially like when he kinda half-snorts at the old man saying how he got that store and goes "You married into it?"
I also get a little chuckle when Woody H. tells the guy about how the building has an entire floor missing.

quote:

butt nonsense
He was in Vietnam for two tours. Man knows better than to have swamp rear end.

naem
May 29, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

They really need to put that guy in more movies.

Not just the actor, the character. Just showing up in random violent movies with his pneumatic spike and that inexplicable shotgun supressor.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

There was this boy I sent to the 'lectric chair at Huntsville here awhile back. My arrest and my testimony. He killt a 14 year-old girl. Papers said it was a 'crime of passion' but he told me there wasn't any passion to it. Told me that he'd been plannin' to kill somebody for about as long as he could remember. Said that if they turned him out, he'd do it again. Said he knew he was going to hell: 'Be there in about fifteen minutes.' I don't know what to make of that. I surely don't.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wendigee posted:

ɬəˈwɛlɪn

all of that means it's pronounced like "le-WELL-in" except for the first l and the second e. what you're gonna want to do for the first l is to put your tongue to the roof of your mouth, just behind your teeth, and blow. it should sound sort of like daffy duck if you're doing it right. for the second e, say the "a" in "cat" and then close your mouth slightly.

this http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/ipa/ site can help you match the sounds. the first is in the consonant chart as one of the only two entries in the "lateral fricative" row. the second is in the vowel chart at the Open-Mid row, in the Front column.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
thank you all for indulging the linguistics elective i took once

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I have distant relatives who had Llewellyn for a surname. How'd that happen? Despite all the old jokes about every welsh person being named Johnathon Johnathan or whatever, it seems rare in the states.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

phasmid posted:

I have distant relatives who had Llewellyn for a surname. How'd that happen?

Probably

1. Distant relative named Llewllyn
2. His son was Fuckhead ap Llewllyn, meaning Fuckead son of Llewllyn
3. His son is Dumbshit ap Llewllyn because Llewllyn was a better man than Fuckhead, or Fuckhead was overcome with filial piety
4. This repeats for a bit and they drop the "ap" along the way
5. They immigrate to the states and then you're born

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
OP, you shouldn't wear a belt. You must be ready at all times to rip off your pants in the rare instance sex presents itself to you. This is why ladies wear skirts.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That seems plausible. Thank you.

Arrhythmia posted:

3. His son is Dumbshit ap Llewllyn because Llewllyn was a better man than Fuckhead, or Fuckhead was overcome with filial piety
drat. It was probably Arthur and Mordred all over again but as cowboys or some poo poo. :(

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Das Boo posted:

OP, you shouldn't wear a belt. You must be ready at all times to rip off your pants in the rare instance sex presents itself to you. This is why ladies wear skirts.

Ya that's why I wear sweat pants

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

phasmid posted:

drat. It was probably Arthur and Mordred all over again but as cowboys or some poo poo. :(

may i introduce you to a little book series i like to call "The Dark Tower",

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fat Jesus posted:

people told me the movies EXACTLY like the book and it's not, was so triggered

there are some big differences to be sure. Like, one is a movie, and the other is a book

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Neurosis posted:

there are some big differences to be sure. Like, one is a movie, and the other is a book

and in the book you learn how and why he got arrested before he murders cop and escapes, in the movie he just murders cop / escapes?

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Wendigee posted:

I really like this movie.

I kinda wish they would do one for "Blood Meridian" but it would probably suck or be a failure. Little too dark maybe for a movie.

IIRC, they've been trying to make a Blood Meridian movie since the mid 90's but it keeps stalling because it *is* too dark, no matter how you try to rearrange the subject matter. The last person to attempt an adaptation was James Franco of all people so... I guess be glad we're not getting the stoner version.

Best quote about the attempts, though, is from the man himself:

Wikipedia posted:

In an interview with Cormac McCarthy by The Wall Street Journal in 2009, McCarthy denied this notion, with his perspective being that it would be "very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary."

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

My mom's bf is from Cardifd and he pronounces it Thoo-EH-thun, but the Th's are real soft and breathy and the u is a shwa sound but I'm on my phone and lazy.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Arrhythmia posted:

ɬəˈwɛlɪn

all of that means it's pronounced like "le-WELL-in" except for the first l and the second e. what you're gonna want to do for the first l is to put your tongue to the roof of your mouth, just behind your teeth, and blow. it should sound sort of like daffy duck if you're doing it right. for the second e, say the "a" in "cat" and then close your mouth slightly.

this http://www.yorku.ca/earmstro/ipa/ site can help you match the sounds. the first is in the consonant chart as one of the only two entries in the "lateral fricative" row. the second is in the vowel chart at the Open-Mid row, in the Front column.

i tried this and "shloshing" came out

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

memorize this line and then drop it into every conversation you have with anyone ever.

like if they tell you their after-work plans or if they tell you about the vacation they're gonna take. just drop it on them like you're dropping that deadlift bar.

generally speaking they'll just stare at you like wtf and then you smile like this:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

uber_stoat posted:

"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?"

memorize this line and then drop it into every conversation you have with anyone ever.

like if they tell you their after-work plans or if they tell you about the vacation they're gonna take. just drop it on them like you're dropping that deadlift bar.

generally speaking they'll just stare at you like wtf and then you smile like this:

Then you use your pneumatic spike to humanely dispatch them.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Wendigee posted:

Llewelyn Moss in like the first scene goes and gets a nickle plated .45 cold/colt clone and just sticks it in the back of his pants and it is clear that he is not wearing a belt. The fact that his pants pull some plumber action and he can't even be bothered to wear a belt are triggering me.

Op the character was supposed to be autistic, it's part of his character

Hope this helps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Tonetta posted:

Op the character was supposed to be autistic, it's part of his character

Hope this helps

Moss? You sure you don't mean Chigurh?

• Locked thread