Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Imagine Philip Rivers calling games

Oh god his face is going to haunt me for the rest of my life isn't it?

fsif posted:

Promote Ian Eagle.

Is Kevin Harlan CBS or Fox? Promote him in either case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There seem to be a lot more of these trades for a player a team apparently just doesn't care much about for a few spots in the draft order this year. Am I imagining that?

I guess a lot means 2, but I don't remember these things happening at all before.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I can't get over how dumb it is to trade away a legit shot as the best defensive line in football to turn a late 3rd round pick into a mid 3rd round pick.

By typical NFL trade logic you can add a round for every year out a pick is. So if you buy into that you're trading a mid 3rd for a late 4th in 2017 pick value.

I'm sure that helps a lot.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think it's possible Cutler just has an idea of what he wants to be paid that teams don't like. And he's done enough that if people aren't going to meet his demands he'll just walk away.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

Fire up the gif!

Haha, someone find one of these and do it. Do we have one this year?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheChirurgeon posted:

do they not count home runs in spring training now

seems like hitting those helps you make the team

Look man, if you can't respect the competitive play of Class A baseball I don't even want to talk to you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

He's a boring momma's boy who lives in his parent's basement and wants to like play Warhammer or magic the gathering with his teammates.

I still want to watch one of Tim Duncan's D&D games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pops Mgee posted:

Rivers can't afford to retire with 20 kids.

And another few on the way I'm sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Durandal1707 posted:

Probably Ben, since I think he's the most likely to break down sooner.

He's easily got the most mileage on him so he's gotta be the favorite there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Watching You Don't Know Bo again and I just noticed that Marcus Allen, one of the best short yardage runners in history, was Bo's fullback when he ran over Bosworth.

I know that happened a bunch with those Raiders teams but I never noticed him on replays of that play for some reason until now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Raku posted:

Jimmy Clausen

I cannot read this name without wanting to punch him for the kiss the high school rings picture.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The feeling escalates every time I look at that, just mentioning it made me angry and I didn't want to see it again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

How old is Blount?

e: Every now and then when his name comes up I remember the time he tried to murder Todd Haley and I laugh.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah but back then, the Steelers ran the ball on every single down, and everyone knew that Bettis was getting the ball on 1st, 2nd and 3rd and short. So yeah, low YPC, but he still took QB-less teams to the playoffs almost every year. And that is why you are all wrong complaining about Bettis

I don't think he's quite a hall of famer but yeah, Bettis was the definition of a workhorse back earlier in his career. I mean, it's probably a big part of why he was so underwhelming at the end.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I always have a hard time squaring just exactly what HoF voters take into account in their votes (much like everyone else), but it clearly isn't entirely about stats. Bettis is famous even to casual football fans, and was still the 5th all-time leading rusher when he retired. Every back that's retired in the top 10 in the modern era has gotten into the hall

I don't think that's quite true, I believe Ottis Anderson would have been #8 when he retired in 1992. It's probably a good way to avoid the hall by having your best years on the Cardinals too.

You're mostly right though, he might be the only one in the modern game.

e: Interesting that he's all the way down to 28 now, since 1992 we've gone through a bunch of great feature backs and then gone to most teams being RB by committee.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, remember Titus Young? He got four years in prison today for one of his many assaults that apparently keep happening because he's literally crazy.

I'm sure prison won't help anything but at this point I don't know what would with him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I think he's one of the top 2 or 3 all around backs of all time. There are a few RBs that did certain things better than Tomlinson, like Barry having better feet or Brown being a better downhill runner, but coming up with a list of names that did everything better than Tomlinson did is surprisingly difficult.

Faulk seems like the go to comparison, but you can argue he wasn't the pure runner that LdT was.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

That's a shame. I remember at one point he got into a long fight or something at a phone store and was getting help because he was mentally ill but I guess that wasn't enough.

Yeah I guess he left an inpatient mental health facility when he attacked someone that led to these charges. It's a really sad story and I have no clue how it could have been done differently aside from locking him away. Or preventing him from playing football if you believe his dad about concussions, but that's not really something for the courts to deal with at any point before he actually assaults people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Eli Wiggum posted:

I will never forget Portis running all over the Chiefs for 5 TDs in 2003

For how good that team was in every other phase of the game, defensively that's like Alabama playing Portland State or whatever non-con cupcake.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dubious posted:

let me tell you about the 5-0 super bowl lock vikings

With NFL MVP Sam Bradford at the helm?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh hey remember that spring football league that may or may not actually play games? They apparently released their rosters. I guess they only have two teams?

Which one of Mason Hutson, McLeod Bethel-Thompson, David Ash Bitch or Ricky Stanzi will be murdered on the field by Greg Hardy?

Kellen Winslow Jr. is the only other biggish name as far as I can tell.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I just remembered that David Ash quit Texas football because he couldn't get over concussions. Now I'm kind of for real worried about some nobody OL guy trying to block Greg Hardy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

And these are the new owners.

It's not quite as fast as Jimmy Haslam but the Pegulas seem to have gone from saviors to jerks really fast.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BrownThunder posted:

I Can't Believe The Steelers Almost Won Against The Super Bowl Champions

Psssh, you should never have gotten that far after the Chiefs Almost Won against the Steelers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BGrifter posted:

Goddammit. I can't keep using the Cubs as that team everybody wants to win out of pity anymore. Is that maybe the Browns now?

Browns for sure, but Clippers too maybe? Sharks in hockey?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

gently caress the Sharks for all time

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

There's not even any loving ice in San Jose

You root for the freaking Ducks, this doesn't seem like a good argument from you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Volkerball posted:

Saints should be Ricky Williams lol

I don't know, it's hard to beat taking a bad punter/kicker at #11 overall. Even trading an entire draft away for two 1000 yard seasons might be a less awful decision.

Kalli posted:

I think Bo Jackson is fair considering he was the #1 overall pick and they hosed with him so egregiously, that the guy said gently caress you and played baseball instead is probably the worst.

He also flat out told them he wouldn't play for them before the draft. They probably thought they were being smart calling his bluff, and like a lot of Tampa Bay things back then they....were not.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
It's also worth noting that the Chiefs biggest draft bust from 1983 is also the last quarterback drafted by the team to win a game for them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

How are you so bad at quarterbacks

They tried once and when it didn't work they were like :shrug: and decided to trade for 49ers guys instead. I believe they have spent 2 picks on quarterbacks in the first three rounds in the last 33 years.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Thought it would have been Mamula for sure

Mamula was actually a sort of ok player for a few years, not worth the pick but not in biggest bust territory. It's just so memorable because of the fans chanting "We want Sapp" at the draft and then Sapp goes on to be a hall of famer.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't get why the MOAB is such a big deal? Like its a big bomb, but its not like we haven't dropped multiple bombs with a larger effects before.

It's basically a really big bomb that hasn't been used in combat before, so it's news. Like it can't be dropped out of planes specifically designed to drop bombs.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Ok, but we have had this bomb for a while now, I think it was developed during the Iraq War. It just seems like such a trivial thing.

I mean we've never actually used it. Like we've had minuteman missiles for 60ish years and this thing is the next thing to that. Well give or take a Trident or whatever. Like I said it's a super big bomb.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chilichimp posted:

If he actually solves NK by parking a carrier battle group off the coast and dropping a MOAB on their nuke test tunnel network... I'm gonna be real mad.

Well that won't happen at least, you can't drop this from a plane that could safely get there, even with North Korea's outdated AA stuff.

sean10mm posted:

MOAB is just a big conventional bomb, it is in no way comparable to a nuke. It's the difference between tons of TNT and the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of tons.

Oh agreed, but it's still the largest conventional bomb we have by quite a bit.

Also we should move this discussion to the chat thread.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All he ever posts about is the Patriots so I'm assuming that's why

How soon we forget about the enemies of Rutgers Athletics.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spoeank posted:

What the gently caress is this edgelord poo poo a child is dead

You need a funny photoshop to pull that stuff off really.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
The only thing picking up the 5th year does is guarantee the contract against injury, so normally I'd just be like "yeah everyone should pick those up if the player has shown anything at all," odds are pretty good you can just cut a guy if you decide you don't want him.

Watkins might be a case where I could understand not doing so.

e: I mean I still think it would be dumb not to since Watkins can be real good if he ever does stay healthy, and it isn't really that much money. But I could at least understand why they didn't pick it up if they don't.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 16, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Flikken posted:

Look at the text in my AV. I've never been able to find what the actual record for consecutive snaps is, but he has to be close if he doesn't have it.

I think Casey Wiegmann played either every snap of his career once he became a starter or every snap from like 1998 to 2010, it was something people talked about when his career was winding down in KC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I already set you up with Casey Wiegmann for this and you go and pick a better player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Flikken posted:

You know the next super bowl isn't till 2018 right?

That'll just make it that much more impressive really.

• Locked thread