Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I was a Windows guy (Win XP!) until roughly 2006 when I switched over to Mac because I loved OS X for software development in general. I still love OS X but is has been progressively shittier ever since they stopped doing the big cat codenames and switched over to calling the versions such incredibly retarded names as "El Capitan" and "Mavericks"

Anyway I think the time has come to call it quits with Apple. I am thinking of building a mid-tier gaming PC that I can also use for software development. I am wondering what is the best version of Windows to get for gaming (should I just go with Win 10?). For development, I really like that OS X is based on Unix (Darwin) and has a full fledged terminal. I'm thinking I might dual boot with some flavor of Linux and just use that for all my development (probably Ubuntu so I can keep using Sublime Text easily) because I've never been a big fan of Cygwin

Anybody in a similar predicament that can give me any tips on making the transition back? I'll still have my work-issue Macbook Pro retina until they force me to get one of the new Macbook Pro abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
windows 10 comes with ubuntu now so there's no need to ever boot into an inferior os again

also source your quotes

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm not switching back to a half-abandoned OS for underpowered and overpriced "gotta be thin at all costs" pieces of poo poo that their creators are literally dying to phase out in favour of tablets. Been there done that.

Nor am I making "this sacrifice" and "that sacrifice" and conceding to "well the scaling on high DPI is even worse, and touch is almost nonexistent" and "yeah we know the file picker still won't show a thumbnail view after about a 13 year old bug report, we don't know how to do it" that comes from running your favourite colour of server OS as some form of communist desktop. Been there done that too, it's a ballache, and FOSS devs are lazy as gently caress (because they're mostly unpaid)

Flipping a few switches is much quicker and easier than either a) spending the time necessary to earn an extra £1500 or so for something that is likely to be discontinued in 5-10 years, or b) spending hours configuring synclient so your trackpad resembles something almost-usable, dual booting for 80% of your games, pestering the devs for $raw_processing_suite in a 5 year old bug report complaining about how often it bombs out with a segfault in the middle of tweaking a photo, etc etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh lmao

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
mac was always bad, OP

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

windows 10 comes with ubuntu now so there's no need to ever boot into an inferior os again

also source your quotes

:monocle: that's pretty cool maybe I'll give that a shot before I explore a Linux dual boot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah this was me, except I kept the iPhone. The transition at first felt like meeting an old friend and discovering his sister was pretty hot (Windows 10 / Surface 4). I am enjoying having flexibility in what tools I work with and how they work. A few frustrations along the way, but I really don't miss Mac's much at all. poo poo is absolutely cheaper and quality in PC hardware has come a long way. Competition does that, and my thanks to Apple for kicking the rear end of Microsoft / PC manufactures to get us here.

This thread is like finding out I wasn't alone.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i prefer to call it conscious uncoupling op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Microsoft releases an operating system that:

- Fails to unify UX, adding yet another layer onto the several layers of system configuration cruft that has accumulated over the last two decades or so
- Forces itself onto user's computers without permission and uses misleading dialog boxes to prevent people from opting-out. This breaks numerous systems due to poorly-thought-out scenarios on Microsofts end, and cause untold millions (possibly billions) of dollars in lost productivity due to factory and lab shutdowns, among other things where Windows 10 drivers simply were not available.
- Puts advertising in the start menu, the file manager, and several apps
- Puts Facebook games in its flagship enterprise product
- Tracks users through numerous means, surreptitiously evades prevention by overriding hosts file entries
- Forces updates on users in the name of security, but simultaneously removes patch notes from updates and combines "feature" and security updates
- Misses a "patch tuesday", enabling zero days to stay in the wild at least a month longer than necessary
- Ignores security flaw reports going back to 2016 forcing Google to release them under it's "Project Zero" policies. Microsoft chooses not take take advantage of the grace period offered
- Implements a system that dovetails with United States National Security Letters, allowing the US government control and targeting of every Windows 10 PC on the planet

And goons post fervently in defense of their company.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its a good os

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

mac was always bad, OP

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

its a good os
for me to poop on

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

also source your quotes

it's handy for a few things but it's also missing most of the things that make linux useful

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
your os is a pos, op

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

it's handy for a few things but it's also missing most of the things that make linux useful

lol "useful". like what?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol "useful". like what?

you can't open windows programs from the terminal.

windows programs can't see into the ubuntu filesystem.

it's dumb

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

- Fails to unify UX, adding yet another layer onto the several layers of system configuration cruft that has accumulated over the last two decades or so
- Forces itself onto user's computers without permission and uses misleading dialog boxes to prevent people from opting-out. This breaks numerous systems due to poorly-thought-out scenarios on Microsofts end, and cause untold millions (possibly billions) of dollars in lost productivity due to factory and lab shutdowns, among other things where Windows 10 drivers simply were not available.
- Tracks users through numerous means, surreptitiously evades prevention by overriding hosts file entries
- Forces updates on users in the name of security, but simultaneously removes patch notes from updates and combines "feature" and security updates
- Misses a "patch tuesday", enabling zero days to stay in the wild at least a month longer than necessary
- Ignores security flaw reports going back to 2016 forcing Google to release them under it's "Project Zero" policies. Microsoft chooses not take take advantage of the grace period offered
- Implements a system that dovetails with United States National Security Letters, allowing the US government control and targeting of every Windows 10 PC on the planet

those are all good reasons to use windows 7

and its not like product placement in windows is something new, has everyone forgotten that windows 95 was literally an AOL trial disk

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

you're right, i should compile my own linux or spend a month's salary on a mid-tier mac

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

also, win10 is free so...

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Radio Paranoia posted:

you're right, i should compile my own linux or spend a month's salary on a mid-tier mac

lol at this five figgie fucktard

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

bump_fn posted:

lol at this five figgie fucktard

3rd world fucks up the figgies p hard

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

mac was always bad, OP

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

also, win10 is free so...

youre right. windows 10 is available for free.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
winblows
crapple

uhhhh i don't know a good unix one

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eunuchs

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

bump_fn posted:

winblows
crapple

uhhhh i don't know a good unix one

poonix

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I dual boot El Capitan and Windows 8.1 and it's good. I also use iOS 9 on my iPhone 6S and it's good.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have sierra running in a vm, that's as close as i need to get to macos

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

work gave me both a mbp w/ sierra and a dell w/ windows 10 and i prefer the dell when i need to actually get poo poo done. sad but true... apple's bad.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

GameCube posted:

work gave me both a mbp w/ sierra and a dell w/ windows 10 and i prefer the dell when i need to actually get poo poo done. sad but true... apple's bad.

i can work on a windows pc and get poo poo done, or i can work on a mac and have my productivity cut in half

also, my windows machine for work has never had problems. every mac there has to be formatted each quarter p much

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

build a hackintosh op

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol that that guy wants a unix for developing

i know "microsoft :h:s linux" and all that, but the superior visual studio experience is still in windows

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

microsoft hearts linux so much that you can program for linux without having to use linux now. .net core bitches

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

macos visual studio is just xamarin studio/monodevelop with a fresh paint job. at this very moment i am clearing 83 notifications that the MSBuild:UpdateDesignTimeXaml code generator has crashed

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

spankmeister posted:

build a hackintosh op

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gazpacho posted:

mac was always bad, OP

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

I was a Windows guy (Win XP!) until roughly 2006 when I switched over to Mac because I loved OS X for software development in general. I still love OS X but is has been progressively shittier ever since they stopped doing the big cat codenames and switched over to calling the versions such incredibly retarded names as "El Capitan" and "Mavericks"

Anyway I think the time has come to call it quits with Apple. I am thinking of building a mid-tier gaming PC that I can also use for software development. I am wondering what is the best version of Windows to get for gaming (should I just go with Win 10?). For development, I really like that OS X is based on Unix (Darwin) and has a full fledged terminal. I'm thinking I might dual boot with some flavor of Linux and just use that for all my development (probably Ubuntu so I can keep using Sublime Text easily) because I've never been a big fan of Cygwin

Anybody in a similar predicament that can give me any tips on making the transition back? I'll still have my work-issue Macbook Pro retina until they force me to get one of the new Macbook Pro abominations.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm not switching back to a half-abandoned OS for underpowered and overpriced "gotta be thin at all costs" pieces of poo poo that their creators are literally dying to phase out in favour of tablets. Been there done that.

Nor am I making "this sacrifice" and "that sacrifice" and conceding to "well the scaling on high DPI is even worse, and touch is almost nonexistent" and "yeah we know the file picker still won't show a thumbnail view after about a 13 year old bug report, we don't know how to do it" that comes from running your favourite colour of server OS as some form of communist desktop. Been there done that too, it's a ballache, and FOSS devs are lazy as gently caress (because they're mostly unpaid)

Flipping a few switches is much quicker and easier than either a) spending the time necessary to earn an extra £1500 or so for something that is likely to be discontinued in 5-10 years, or b) spending hours configuring synclient so your trackpad resembles something almost-usable, dual booting for 80% of your games, pestering the devs for $raw_processing_suite in a 5 year old bug report complaining about how often it bombs out with a segfault in the middle of tweaking a photo, etc etc.

Yeah this was me, except I kept the iPhone. The transition at first felt like meeting an old friend and discovering his sister was pretty hot (Windows 10 / Surface 4). I am enjoying having flexibility in what tools I work with and how they work. A few frustrations along the way, but I really don't miss Mac's much at all. poo poo is absolutely cheaper and quality in PC hardware has come a long way. Competition does that, and my thanks to Apple for kicking the rear end of Microsoft / PC manufactures to get us here.

This thread is like finding out I wasn't alone.

this

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Wait are you talking about linux or osx? Like is the software thin or are the devices thin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

macbook thin

• Locked thread