Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I was a Windows guy (Win XP!) until roughly 2006 when I switched over to Mac because I loved OS X for software development in general. I still love OS X but is has been progressively shittier ever since they stopped doing the big cat codenames and switched over to calling the versions such incredibly retarded names as "El Capitan" and "Mavericks"

Anyway I think the time has come to call it quits with Apple. I am thinking of building a mid-tier gaming PC that I can also use for software development. I am wondering what is the best version of Windows to get for gaming (should I just go with Win 10?). For development, I really like that OS X is based on Unix (Darwin) and has a full fledged terminal. I'm thinking I might dual boot with some flavor of Linux and just use that for all my development (probably Ubuntu so I can keep using Sublime Text easily) because I've never been a big fan of Cygwin

Anybody in a similar predicament that can give me any tips on making the transition back? I'll still have my work-issue Macbook Pro retina until they force me to get one of the new Macbook Pro abominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

windows 10 comes with ubuntu now so there's no need to ever boot into an inferior os again

also source your quotes

:monocle: that's pretty cool maybe I'll give that a shot before I explore a Linux dual boot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

lol "useful". like what?

you can't open windows programs from the terminal.

windows programs can't see into the ubuntu filesystem.

it's dumb

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Smythe posted:

the OSX window manager is Turbo AIDS lol. It's so loving Bad. It's really incredibly terrible in every conceivable way.

I like how...

...sometimes when I click a dock icon it does nothing, even though the application is running. Just show me the drat window! I don't want to have to right click and "show all windows" to see it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

yeah. the file browser is really bad too. i use a mac at work and had to ask a season mac man what do to, and he told me to download a 3rd party file browser lol

use the terminal to browse ur files

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Maximum Leader posted:

Nvidia is finally releasing Mac OS pascal drivers

Well hot drat!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

mmm, taller than 4:3 (by a hair) aspect ratio and then dock on the side anyway, next was the poo poo

not to mention the display postcript stack and proper color profile support and all that. was good times

color profile for my 16 shades of gray

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i like when you connect and disconnect external monitors and windows just vanish into the abyss, never to be retrieved again

oh yeah, had this happen to me on monday :mad:

• Locked thread