Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Wheat Loaf posted:

Grown adults eating with their mouths open

I was going to post this.

I'm Swedish and we are very peculiar about personal space so my worst quirks that bug me are about that.

People who somehow managed to get their hands in my face during a conversation. I worked with a guy who used his hands a lot while talking and while demonstrating something he had a habit of getting his hands in a 10 cm range from other peoples faces. Just the oddest things like "I was working and this thing slid down and missed my face by *this much* *swings open palmed hand past other persons face*"

People who touch my food. Not actually digging into the food itself but reach into my lunchbox to lift out the water bottle or milk carton to demonstrate a point or just because it sparked his interest. Like for example when the work team are out eating and we order in sandwiches. They come wrapped in plastic and this one guy could pick up my sandwich and hold it up like "Hey check this out, roast beef and potato salad, fancy"

People who try to snag the whole phone when you want to show them a picture.

People who loving swipe when you show them a picture.

People who borrow tools out of my car without asking. Just walking right past me to dig in there in my stuff. Yeah it's a company car and some of it is company equipment but I'm responsible for and take care of all of it.

Once I worked with a guy and we were meeting up at a parking lot. As I drove up I got a phone call so I stayed in my car to finish the call before stepping out of the car. While I'm sitting there talking on the phone, the other guy walks up to my car, opens the drivers door and then just stands there with his hands in his pockets, looking at me while I'm on the phone. That pissed me off more than anything has for years and I can't even explain why.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Apr 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who don't serve enough food so you have to eat before coming to diner.

When I cook for guests I make a ton of everything and everyone has their fill and the rest become lunchboxes.

But some people will make unspoken portions. Like if you have 5 adults they will cook 10 pieces of chicken.

And it's so easy to tell because you will have 10 pieces for 3 men and 2 women. The 3 guys and 1 of the girls take two each. Then the last girl has a single piece and later asks if someone wants her second piece of chicken. You then have four hungry adults eying it with two guys agreeing to split half each.

Or it's time for coffee and desert and they will take a spongecake and cut it into 5 pieces for 5 people.

Or you go to a barbecue and they cook five hamburgers for five adults or ten hot dogs for five adults.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Apr 5, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who interrupt a story to check if they know the person you're talking about. Even when this is incredibly improbable (like when the person you're talking to is 23 years old and this happened 10 years ago in a different city all together).

"So I was in Spain and had dinner with a guy and.. Was his name José? No he wa... Did he have a mustache? Yes bu... Oh I know him. Pablo, cool guy but that wife of his, oh wow

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Kopijeger posted:

People who find themselves in a country that is not their native one and act like the locals are in the wrong for speaking their own language and adhering to their laws and customs in their own country. Like charity beggars who approach you unbidden, start jabbering in a foreign language and then look crestfallen when you reply in the local language.

What about when you're in a hotel in France at a tourist resort and the hotel desk clerk doesn't speak English so she rolls her eyes and gets the baggage handler to translate?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People at the bank who cut in line (not taking a number to wait in line) for a quick question and then the cashier proceeds to spend 5-15 minutes taking care of their whole business instead of telling them to take a number and sit down.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
When you want to watch a playthrough video on youtube of an old game you could never finish back when.

And every single video has the author sperg out all over the video with endless inane monologue. Then of course a part of the screen is dedicated to a webcam of his neckbeard rear end in his attempt to build recognition. So he can try to mine money from the internet.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Inzombiac posted:

I know more than one person that thinks it's totally okay to fart in any situation.
"It's just a bodily function" they say.
"I don't want to inhale your poop gas, idiot"

Poop gas is complicated stuff. I take evening courses which involve spending 3 hours in a room with only women. So you hold them in for 3 hours. The problem is that by the time it's done the clock is 9 in the evening and you have so much collected poop gas that dropping it outside would cause the sound to echo off the buildings in the quiet night and everyone for two blocks would hear it so now you have to save i until you get into the car instead.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Pharnakes posted:

Mine was some kid who blew his year's budget in freshers week then decided the most cost effective way to live was on porridge. Idiot should have chosen dog food instead.

I've heard this one with pasta.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Renoistic posted:

People blowing bubblegum loudly make me want to do horrible things to them. Sometimes it scares me how angry I actually get. If I can I try to put some distance between us.

If they pop bubbles in rapid succession I become convinced they do it just to spite me, even if I don't know the person. I had to stop going to certain classes in college because some rear end in a top hat would blow bubblegum.

Some people can blow bubbles that sound like someone dropping a light bulb.

I've also seen some expert trolls that manage to get off two or three bubbles in a row. With a sound like someone squeezing bubble wrap.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

bossy lady posted:

I also hate cheese but I will sit there picking as much cheese off of pizza as I can to eat it. How does anyone hate pizza?

How can you not like cheese? Cheese is the nectar of the gods. It goes with everything and makes everything better in every way possible.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Sunswipe posted:

It smells like feet. A good food should not smell like an unwashed body part.

So does shellfish and pickled herring and those are both awesome.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Rolo posted:

Bitch I don't like bacon, get off me.

:stonk:

You're not making this easy for me. I wish you would have gone with "egg plant" or "radish" Rather than another example of the nectar of the gods (The gods are fat, go figure)

Rolo posted:

Topical obnoxious thing:

People that are like 'you don't like [food]? You just haven't had this kind of [food]!'

When I was a kid I didn't like onions. Because the flavor is very strong and onion has the texture of raw apple and that bothers me a lot when eating foods that's supposed to have a different texture. Crunchiness where crunchiness has no business being.

My mother had sole custody of me and I sometimes spent weekends with my father. I told mom that I didn't like onions so the food she gave me had no onion.

Well my father wouldn't have any of that. He maintained that no one could really dislike onion and onion was in everything anyway. That it was just a flavor enhancer and you didn't really eat the onion itself. So he started sneaking onion into my food to prove me wrong.

Yeah he was a good sneaker and when I wasn't looking for onion I sometimes didn't find it. So he then quizzed me on which food had and didn't have onion. I failed the quiz and that proved him right, that no one could really dislike onion, and the food he made would now contain onion where he deemed it appropriate. Sometimes I wouldn't taste it. Sometimes I fished out little onion pieces to put on the side of my plate which angered him to no end.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 08:41 on Apr 17, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Pedestrians who cross the road diagonally.

Like their destination is diagonally on the other side of the road. But instead of crossing the road quickly and then walking up to their destination via the sidewalk. They will instead cross the road diagonally leading to more cars having to slow down and wait for them to cross.

People who at a pedestrian crossing hit the button and then cross on a "red man" anyway (because there are no cars close by). Leaving the cars waiting at an empty crossing as the pedestrian has already crossed by the time the light changes.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Anyone who inserts the phrase "Everyone's entitled to an opinion" into a discussion, especially a politician in a televised interview or debate.

It's a truism, it goes without saying. It literally goes without saying, there's genuinely no point in saying those words out loud and it adds absolutely nothing to any discussion. All it does is waste time and deflect discussion away from the opinion which was just expressed which I guess is the actual reason that certain politicians seems to say it so often.

But that's just your opinion.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Sociopastry posted:

On this note, that one guy in the group that has to be the best at everything- and I do mean everything- and he gets mad because his class can't do the job other classes can. You're not gonna be able to magic us out of this loving magic puzzle, Jimmy, you're a loving fighter. Quit trying to out-rogue the rogue, Jimmy, you wear full plate and can't pick locks.

Punch the lock!

Baldurs Gate 2 had a Fighter/Mage/Thief class

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I once rented a spare floor in my house to a smoker and he would smoke on the balcony and fling the butts out on the lawn/stone path/garden.

I told him to stop it and he said it wasn't him. Motherfucker there's only two people in this house and the other one is me who doesn't smoke.

The worst I've seen is a girl I had for an apprentice once when repainting a daycare center. She would throw her butts all over the playground. But then when her pack ran out she crumpled it up and threw it on the porch. Again a refusal and "you're the only one here who smokes"

The opposite end of the smoke spectrum I worked with this old Finish man who was James Bond with his cigarette butts. When he finished a pack he would use that empty pack to store his butts and then when the next pack was empty he would throw the first one in a garbage bin. Then keep his packs on a rotation like that

Catberry has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Apr 26, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Management. Now I don't mean people who perform management tasks. I mean professional management. People who has it as their profession.

There are at least two types of these people.

Those who go to school to become management from the start. Management "blanks" who have no connection at all to any work. People who hope that years of courses on dealing with people and leadership will see them through in a business they have no experience in.

Then there are those who become professional management later on.

I work construction and most management types there will be, for example a carpenter who showed some leadership abilities. Managed some projects and the crew listened to and respected him. So the higher ups make him management full time. He knows the profession and the work and so can handle it. But after he spends 10 or 20 years in this role, he gradually loses the connection to the workers and the profession. Grows distant from years in the office and turns into professional management.

Or he sees a wanted ad for a "project manager" at say... a glass installment company. The pay is higher so he takes it. Because he has management experience and in a similar line of work he gets the job. Now he has no experience in that field. The workers only know him as the guy who bitches when things aren't going as planned so he never gets a proper connection to them either.

The only reason I think any of this can continue for as long as it has is that the big decision makers in any corporation are themselves so distant from the workforce and management thereof. That when lower management fail to handle the workers the higher ups just accept that workers are an incomprehensible pain in the rear end that there is only really so much you can do.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who honk period. The instances where you need the horn on a car is so rare that it should be one of those "Break glass in case of" things. That after you use the horn. It remains stuck and you need a service to reset it.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

veni veni veni posted:

Living in a state where people don't honk much, that is very popular for Californians to move to makes me want to kill them with their honking at everyone all the time.

I honk my horn like 4 times a year and these loving assholes can't drive 5 feet without leaning on it.

I once had a neighbor who would honk the horn as a signal for his wife to hurry up. This would happen at least once a day.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who drive slowly in the right line and then only find the accelerator when you decide to overtake them. Because some people see being overtaken as a personal slight.

Except I'm driving a 20 year old Volvo station wagon loaded with work stuff, so now I can't pass them and have to get back in the right lane.

With the threat to their dominance of the right lane safely neutralized. They then drift off and gradually begin to slow down again.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 07:30 on May 1, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
People who have yet to embrace the GPS. These come in all ages. And I don't mean that these people refuse to use them. But that they refuse to accept that other people use them.

I need you to go to place
okay text me the address and I'll be there
You know where smith street is?
No
Well it's right above minister ave. You know where that is right?
No. Can you send me the address?
What about the pizza pizza place on third street?
No
Burger king on fifth street?
Yeah
Okay well you drive straight past that. Then take the third turn to the right, then make a left at the pizza place and continue on that road until you see a white building, at which point you turn left.
What address is that?

This happens either because the other person is so old that they can't comprehend the GPS. Or they are so familiar with the city itself that they can't grasp that someone else would have trouble navigating by rambled directions.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

yeah I eat rear end posted:

When you are trying to find a parking spot in a completely full lot and you find someone about to leave so you put your turn signal on and they get in the car and...just sit there. For well over a minute. What are you even doing? Start the car and move, I've been looking for a spot for half an hour.

I do this a lot. I run my own business so I keep my office in the car. I wrap up the days paperwork in the car (mostly on my phone) because once I get home I want to be done with work stuff.

I also eat my lunch in the car because I can have some peace and quiet there.

On topic:

People who are so eager to get your parking lot when you leave that they block you from getting out for fear of other people stealing the spot.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

At least wave the person waiting on then. Surely if your parking lot is as busy as I am describing you yourself have been in the position of hunting for a spot for close to an hour and should be able to empathize.

If it's a lot with spaces though then it doesn't matter, sleep in there for all I care.

If I see them sure but people looking for parking lots are loving ninjas. One could be on the other side of the area just waiting for me to drive out

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Vaping seemed like such a great idea. It was healthier. You could do it indoors without inconveniencing people.

And then people did the exact same things that got smoking banned everywhere by being as obnoxious about it as is humanly possible. Blowing "vape" in peoples faces to demonstrate that it doesn't smell bad (it does. Just not as bad as smoke). Vaping on public transportation, in other peoples cars and in the office/work place.

And now vaping is getting banned in one place after another. Some countries even started regulating it in law.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I liked "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry" It was refreshing to see Adam Sandler play a sarcastic rear end in a top hat as opposed to a retarded manchild.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Inzombiac posted:

People who talk about their favorite sports teams as "we". You don't play for them. "We" didn't win anything. They, the team of highly trained athletes, won. Not you. You have a dad bod and are 5'6".

Has anyone seen one of these people go "we lost"?

Usually it's "we won" or "they lost"

Inzombiac posted:

I hate people that get really territorial over video game consoles. Maybe it made sense when we were kids and only had Nintendo and Sega but a 30 year-old person who ONLY plays Xbox or whatever is so weird. I invited you over to play Smash, don't be a jerk about it.

A carry over from being a child when parents only bought one console and if that happened to be a sega then you had no choice but to convince yourself that the non-sonic games were better than Zelda or Metroid.

It was kind of offensive how poo poo most of the Genesis games were. It's like they were games made for the 8-bit era but with 16 bit graphics. Most of them being simple games with no save function at all.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 06:02 on May 4, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I've heard a lot about "we didn't use to have so many allergies back when"

Yeah you did. But a child that was allergic or had a strong intolerance to things like potatoes, wheat or dairy was just "That sickly/weak kid who died one winter"

Just like they probably had as much cancer back then as we do now. But instead of grandpa having headaches for a few years before dying peacefully in his chair one evening. He might get another 10-20 years with a proper diagnosis.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Jerry Cotton posted:

Humorous spelling and typography when writing "Microsoft" in the god drat year 2017.

e: Michaelsoft Binbows gets a pass because it's a meme and I loving love memes.

Micro$oft

On topic.

People who use the word "food poisoning" instead of "the runs" or "a stomach ache"

Like when a guy goes to a buffet and eats a mountain of fried chicken and then gets the runs an hour later. So he goes to the review page and accuses them of giving him food poisoning (pretty drat serious accusations).

If two days later you can't get out of bed and it's running out of both ends. Then you might have food poisoning.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

kreyla posted:

People that cannot grasp the fact they have neighbors in an apartment complex. Yes, please, blast your stereo out of your open top jeep every time you come home. Slam all the cabinets. Instead of setting things down, drop them. Goddamn.

Of course it doesn't help that the walls and floors are tissue paper, but come on. How hard is it to close a cabinet or drawer rather than slamming it?

I got one of those. I rent out an apartment in my wooden house and a friend asked if his son could have it. It was a huge favor really because the son is a recovering meth addict who has been homeless for a few years.

This guy is the neighbor from hell. He wears his shoes indoors like some animal so it's just clunking sounds all day. He sleeps during the day and is up during the night. Spontaneous vacuuming or sorting of aluminum cans in the middle of the night is a common occurrence. That or he just moans/groans/howls/giggles for 13 hours straight.

Meth turned him from a family father of two with a job to loving Gollum. He talks to himself, argues with himself. He mumbles, growls and loving skulks. His default method of transportation is skulking. Even if he isn't up to anything.

He smokes on the balcony and then throws his cigarette buds on the lawn and in the flower beds. And when I tell him to stop and just use an ashtray he denies that it's him. Motherfucker there's only two of us living here and I don't smoke.

I'm about to start the process of evicting him and this is going to get pretty nasty. He is physically harmless but a complete animal besides.

Thankfully he was generous enough to mismanage paying his rent so I can evict him after 3 weeks rather than 3 months.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

kreyla posted:

Sup fellow Montana goon :)

I don't care if it's normal morning noise, just don't get why everything needs to be done with a BANG. I thought the upstairs couple had a giant spider on the loose last week that they were trying to stomp. Turns out they were tenderizing chicken.

At least I don't have a methhead gargoyle neighbor like Catberry.

Gargoyle is loving right. When I told him I was ending his rental contract. He responded by pushing half his furniture down the stairs to form a barrier against the door. He then climbs around it to get in and out. Not that anyone wants to go in there anyway. Maybe it was just some methhead principle thing.

I don't really see the point. There are no drugs to be had anywhere in this municipality (small farming community) So he has to take a 60 KM buss trip to get any. The day his contract expires and he is out. I'll change the lock and then order in a container to throw his stuff in and then send it off to be burnt.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 14:39 on May 8, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
When you're in a hurry and you need to make a quick stop at a gas station and end up in line behind a foreign guy trying to rent a trailer.

Not racist. Just all the ID stuff and the paper work and the staff being extra suspicious that he's just going to take it out of the country and sell it. Makes for a very drawn out routine.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

ghost emoji posted:

I'm pretty sure this guy who takes the same bus route home as me has a foot fetish. Any time me (or another woman) walks past his seat on the bus he compliments our shoes and stares at them for a while.

It makes me pretty uncomfortable. But he's technically not doing anything wrong so I can't really do anything about it.

This is why you should always carry Mace in your purse. One dose and he won't creep you again.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 07:36 on May 13, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Samovar posted:

Good lord it's almost as if the meaning of words is dependent on context. Whodathunk?

But then if you're in a situation where you have to argue that you didn't mean it in an offensive way then you're already using it in the wrong context.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

On a related note, it makes me unreasonably angry when people call themselves a "writer" or "artist" or "musician" or whatever when they have never truly successfully done it for a living, let alone made any money off of it.

People who call themselves and other "Gamers"

Like what the gently caress. If I come home from my job as a painter, mow the lawn, do the dishes and then play some video games. It does not make me a painter-gardener-dishwasher-gamer.

It makes me a painter who sometimes plays games on my spare time.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Jerry Cotton posted:

Maybe you could spend some of that vacation unionizing like an adult.

Yeah. We got near unlimited sick days here at 80% pay. The employer pays for the first week and the government pays for the time after that.

After the first week you need a doctor certificate for more time and the visit costs $10. If you abuse the system your employer can make you go to a doctor on day 1 but then you bring in a receipt and the employer has to pay for the visit. The doctors are also super chill and always play it safe and give you nearly all the time you want.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 22:21 on May 20, 2017

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Which country is this, just out of curiosity?

Sweden.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

ghost emoji posted:

I'm a receptionist so I talk to people eight hours a day. So I want to have some time to myself on my breaks. But you can't decline a conversation in the break room without coming off as rude.

Related: there's this older guy who comments on my lunch every day, always in the context of weight loss. If I'm eating a salad or a bunch of vegetables, he always says "new weight loss plan?" But if I'm eating Chinese food or a sandwich he asks if it's my cheat day. I've literally never brought up dieting around him. I don't know if he's trying to call me fat or if he just assumes all women are on diets, but it's annoying and I can't really complain or ask him to stop without sounding like an oversensitive feminazi or entitled millennial snowflake or whatever.

That sounds familiar.

I worked with a guy who took it to the point of literally reaching into my lunchbox to pick stuff out and hold them up for comment.

Like what the gently caress. Keep your hands off of other peoples food has to be one of the first lines of code in the lizard brain.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

BioEnchanted posted:

Also on the reaching into your lunchbox thing - that's when you slam the lid shut on their hands and say "I'm keeping these now".

Sadly my lunchbox is just a cooler bag :negative:

Fried Watermelon posted:

Whenever a webpage tries to shame me for not turning off ad block or subscribing to their newsletter

"Disable adblock to improve performance"

Or when developers purposely break their own sites for adblock users. Videos not player properly with a tag that I should try turning off the adblocker.

Yeah I get that it's their right and all that but I have yet to encounter a content site where I couldn't just google the topic and find what I was looking for somewhere else. Disabling websites for adblock users is not the solution either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Ads went so overboard with popups, flash videos, sound effects and so on that people had no choice but to get adblockers. You would think that the natural response would be to tone down ads. Instead they try to bypass and block the adblockers. And behind all that is all the same terrible ads people started blocking years ago. Proving us right to block them.

• Locked thread