Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

geeves posted:

Ray getting angrier with every rimshot was a great and also my text message alert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFZiwFXuqLY

I wish there was a video with all of those bits, from the first rimshot (which I believe had the band on-screen), to all of the Stop It! ones, finally ending with "Diminishing returns!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't like the more serious tone Dreamland seemed to have, I mean it had a few jokes, but it really felt like they were holding back. I would like to see a final season with the original premise, but I get why they don't do that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Turtlicious posted:

I didn't like the more serious tone Dreamland seemed to have, I mean it had a few jokes, but it really felt like they were holding back. I would like to see a final season with the original premise, but I get why they don't do that.
I'd guess this was because they wanted to do "real" noir which is more deliberately paced but I missed the sentence-finishing cutaways [I know there were some but it felt like far fewer] and more rapid fire elements of 'traditional' Archer.

Irtsy
Aug 9, 2017

Turtlicious posted:

... but it really felt like they were holding back.

I feel the exact same way, only about both S7 and S8. For whatever reason both feel like they were written by a team of people who didn't know if they'd be renewed or not (pretty sure they actually didn't know while producing S7?). It was as if the overall plot consensus for S7 was just to make sure there were no lasting consequences for future episode/season possibilities. I know technically Archer croaks in the pool at the end of S7 (or at least something that looks like him does), but they have so much exposition and escape routes available to them that they can explain it away very easily if they choose to. That "first do no harm to the brand" mentality feels like it leeched over into S8. It's become much more cookie cutter and less witty banter, to the point now Archer himself feels like a shell of what he once was. It feels like he's lost a lot of what used to make him, him.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep forgetting to watch the new season. Is it S1-3 good. S4 okay or S5-on meh?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I keep forgetting to watch the new season. Is it S1-3 good. S4 okay or S5-on meh?

S5-on meh

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

They try to do something fresh, it is divisive as a result. For everyone that liked it, someone felt it "lost the jokes".

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

New jokes in a six year old show aren't the same as the old ones?? How is this possible!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Every season is good in its own way. The first two are the classics though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you care about the story of Archer, you can just watch up to season 7 and stop. If you want more jokes, I guess you can stop at 7 as well. Season 8 has nothing to do with the rest of the show and there aren't even all that many jokes. It's just Archer in a 40s noir setting.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If you're the kind of person to usually treat "tried something new" as a merit on its own, like me, you'll like the latest season. If you're the kind of person to see "tried something new" a disappointment, you'll dislike it. Otherwise, 50/50 chance. Consult table 23

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm the kind of person who watches Archer for the laughs. The setting doesn't really matter as long as the writing is solid.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ditocoaf posted:

If you're the kind of person to usually treat "tried something new" as a merit on its own, like me, you'll like the latest season. If you're the kind of person to see "tried something new" a disappointment, you'll dislike it. Otherwise, 50/50 chance. Consult table 23

Yeah I loved it for that reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm the kind of person who watches Archer for the laughs. The setting doesn't really matter as long as the writing is solid.

Yeah, I mean some episodes will make me laugh harder or more often, but every episode has made me laugh. That's pretty good.

My favorite moment is from my least favorite season (Archer Vice) with the "eat a dick jungle" jeep crash.

Favorite episode is still Placebo Effect from season 2 (RRAAAAMMMPPAAAAGEE!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yep...Rampage is my favorite bit, as well.

• Locked thread