Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

freeranger posted:

I know we are only 2 episodes into the season, but it really does feel like this would be better if it was watched back to back, not a week between each episode.

I do miss the old random spy episodes we used to get in the earlier seasons that weren't really connected.
Agreed...these probably won't work unless you binge them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

FlamingLiberal posted:

Agreed...these probably won't work unless you binge them

I don't know about that. There's still some solid jokes in each episode. I do agree that this season will probably be much better binge watched over watching an ep. at a time than a lot of the previous seasons were.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

bull3964 posted:

I love how they named her Bernice just so they can do one long weekend at Bernie's joke.

Okay, that went right over my head.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm excited to see what Krieger does to Barry.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This episode had a lot better jokes since they were able to move past the setup. Cheryl/Carol was a big highlight.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm excited to see what Krieger does to Barry.

Peg legs or cyborg legs that look like something from Wolfenstein The New Order.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

bull3964 posted:

I love how they named her Bernice just so they can do one long weekend at Bernie's joke.

:rimshot:

Come for the dumb movie reference, stay for the Irish bashing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Stop it!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

archer slamming the brakes repeatedly was cracking me up

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What was Krieger drawing?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FogHelmut posted:

What was Krieger drawing?

Legs for Barry.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Nobody else notice the corpse was Scatterbrain Jane's?

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 14, 2017

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I didn't. As far as obscure coworkers went, I'm mostly familiar with Brett and the Hobbit guy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I like serialized Archer. It feels like they're taking a concept for a single episode and stretching it reallllllllllly far. Dilutes the whole. Like the only one I can remember liking from Archer Vice was the one where Pam ripped off the Yakuza. Maybe if they did all the plot beats at once, like a whole episode where the main problem is Pam has a bunch of kidnapped Chinese women in her apartment. Or there's just one Barry episode this season where he's stomping around on peg legs trying to kill Archer. Seems like we're going to get a minute of each plot over a whole season.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I suspect this season is going to be a lot better binged. Maybe that's why I love Vice so much, I watched it all over about two days.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Anyone playing the Archer PI app?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vishass posted:

Anyone playing the Archer PI app?
My friend is.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Do your worst...

I will!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey have we ever gotten the backstory on why Archer's codename was Duchess? That seems good for an episode or at least a backstory gag, but i'm coming up totally blank on that...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey have we ever gotten the backstory on why Archer's codename was Duchess? That seems good for an episode or at least a backstory gag, but i'm coming up totally blank on that...

It was chosen randomly by the ISIS computer*. And coincidentally Malory's dog's name.

* Malory tells archer that in the pilot i think

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bust Rodd posted:

It's Mallory's dog's name. The one she loved way more than Archer.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

It was chosen randomly by the ISIS computer*. And coincidentally Malory's dog's name.

* Malory tells archer that in the pilot i think

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I love how Malory's apartment has nothing but pictures like that of her and Duchess.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

This was quite the weird image to have seen, especially the pilot episode.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vietnamwees posted:

This was quite the weird image to have seen, especially the pilot episode.

A parody of a 1981 Rolling Stone cover ain't all that weird. The original was weirder.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Phanatic posted:

A parody of a 1981 Rolling Stone cover ain't all that weird. The original was weirder.

My thought when I first saw it in the show was, "God drat that's disturbing, but at least there's no Yoko"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I dunno if it's just because I haven't watched any Archer since series 7 finished or what, but I'm completely on board with Dreamland and find myself treating it as almost a different show that just happens to star the same characters/actors. I also found the second episode hilarious and was laughing for most of the second half. Especially Archer's complete shock when Cheryl shouts about how she and Archer just had sex to the whole bar.

I suspect it might be simply because at the end of season 7 I was a little annoyed at the regular show for essentially killing Archer just when he seemed to be going through some significant character development and looking like it was going to set the show up to replace him with a clone that had none of that development. So a clean reset of everything, including the setting that looks like it'll concentrate on a definite plot and character arc is completely fine with me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

there have been plenty of war flashbacks for Archer, so I figure that a whole episode is going to center on that. If the show returns to reality in seasons 9 or 10, I feel that Archer will be changed in some way, probably for the better?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tsob posted:

So a clean reset of everything, including the setting that looks like it'll concentrate on a definite plot and character arc is completely fine with me.
This is why I still feel that Archer Vice, for all its flaws, was necessary for the entire show. The spy agency plots felt like they were running out of gas. It was the TV equivalent of a team tanking in pro sports in an attempt to get a great player.

I'm perfectly fine with them retooling stuff as long as Archer stays funny, and last episode was quite good.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

"She never forgot the dog's birthday!"

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I recently began watching season 7 since it just came up on Netflix, and I just finished episode 4 where the team meets Barry the robot for the first time, and holy poo poo is that episode funny. It brought back Archer's classic "Phrasing" catchline, along with Cheryl's robotic Supervisor line, not to mention Barry the psychotic robot threatening to kill all of them.

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

This is why I still feel that Archer Vice, for all its flaws, was necessary for the entire show. The spy agency plots felt like they were running out of gas. It was the TV equivalent of a team tanking in pro sports in an attempt to get a great player.

I'm perfectly fine with them retooling stuff as long as Archer stays funny, and last episode was quite good.

Archer vice could have been great, but they relied too heavily on repeated inside jokes and too much Pam.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kanish posted:

Archer vice could have been great, but they relied too heavily on repeated inside jokes and too much Pam.
To their credit, the repeated self-references got toned down a lot in the last two seasons. And the ones that they've done this season are much more subtle. It's good that they learned their lesson.

Pam, sadly, was never the same after Archer Vice. She became a one-joke pony in that season, and before that she was my favorite character. Since then, she got a lot zanier. Although I do like how they made her gender ambiguous this season.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vietnamwees posted:

So I recently began watching season 7 since it just came up on Netflix, and I just finished episode 4 where the team meets Barry the robot for the first time, and holy poo poo is that episode funny. It brought back Archer's classic "Phrasing" catchline, along with Cheryl's robotic Supervisor line, not to mention Barry the psychotic robot threatening to kill all of them.

Wait,
watching season 7 for the first time or watching Archer as a whole for the first time?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

M_Gargantua posted:

Wait,
watching season 7 for the first time or watching Archer as a whole for the first time?

Season 7 for the first time.

Why would I be posting in this thread if Archer was brand new to me?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Vietnamwees posted:

Why would I be posting in this thread if Archer was brand new to me?

That's a dumb question, where else would you post about Archer?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

get that OUT of my face posted:

Pam, sadly, was never the same after Archer Vice. She became a one-joke pony in that season, and before that she was my favorite character. Since then, she got a lot zanier. Although I do like how they made her gender ambiguous this season.

What does her being gender ambiguous even mean? Like, she's quite obviously a woman still - so is it just that she's not showing cleavage and making jokes about sex or something? That aside, I quite enjoyed Pam for a while but by season 5 or so she was becoming hyper competent and kind of boring because she could beat everyone up, drift like a pro, get on with anyone, was the best sexual partner Archer ever had, scored perfectly in the written test and it just seemed to go on. I recognize that she had problems to go with all that competence, but by that point the competence seemed to outweigh the problems. That said, her and Archer being friends and Archer's talk with her about how cocaine had kind of ruined her and he missed the old Pam when they're on a road trip together is still one of the show's best scenes just for how surprisingly human a moment it is from such an exaggerated cast.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
The bit where they realize they're best friends is actually a really sweet moment in the show.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

tsob posted:

What does her being gender ambiguous even mean? Like, she's quite obviously a woman still - so is it just that she's not showing cleavage and making jokes about sex or something?

Well it's implied she was shaving her face last episode but this is Pam we're talking about so I guess that's still not solid proof. I think the Dreamland character is supposed to be a man, and Pam is just playing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

ChesterJT posted:

That's a dumb question, where else would you post about Archer?

You mean you didn't have to correctly answer 100 trivia questions before you were allowed to post here?

• Locked thread