Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

wasn't their whole thing taking over the world so they could stop the internet before it turned all of humanity into big idiot fuckers?

they don't sound like villains to me, solid snake is a chump for messing with their fade. proof is everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
the proof is in your posting

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

resar posted:

the proof is in your posting

i am but the prodrome of a growing madness

the memes have broken our collective apebrains and unleashed technochaos into the noosphere. stay woke.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

gifs are a pretty good argument for the existence of the internet but its still not worth it.

the internet is a menace and hideo kojima must pay for his part in demonizing those who would destroy it. long live the patriots. i think. i was in grade school when i played MGS and plot details are real fuzzy.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

the black husserl posted:

wasn't their whole thing taking over the world so they could stop the internet before it turned all of humanity into big idiot fuckers?

they don't sound like villains to me, solid snake is a chump for messing with their fade. proof is everywhere.

They weren't trying to stop the internet they were trying to control it and thus control information.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Imo the op is a bit too obsessed with the degenerative properties of the internet.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

NNick posted:

They weren't trying to stop the internet they were trying to control it and thus control information.

They wanted to create context and sift through all the meaningless garbage that exists on the net

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot
loving stupid guy, Solid Snake is bad rear end.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

they wanted to control the memes. rare pepes crafted and distributed by the lalilulelo

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Imo the op is a bit too obsessed with the degenerative properties of the internet.

look around you sheep. that's not air you're breathing...

the black husserl has issued a correction as of 04:28 on Apr 6, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

NNick posted:

Don't you know that our plans have your interests -- not ours -- in mind?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Condiv posted:

they wanted to control the memes. rare pepes crafted and distributed by the lalilulelo

and they already aren't?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Big boss was always right

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The Patriots would have given Milo his checkmark

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

the black husserl posted:

gifs are a pretty good argument for the existence of the internet but its still not worth it.

the internet is a menace and hideo kojima must pay for his part in demonizing those who would destroy it. long live the patriots. i think. i was in grade school when i played MGS and plot details are real fuzzy.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Check the plot synopsis on wiwiipedia or something op

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
the patriots didn't want to destroy the internet, they wanted to filter it so that they could leave a "history" that they deemed acceptable while removing all the other stuff they didn't like.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Office Surprise Store posted:

the patriots didn't want to destroy the internet, they wanted to filter it so that they could leave a "history" that they deemed acceptable while removing all the other stuff they didn't like.

*all pages related to the US presidency from 2016-2024 mysteriously 404*

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

The Brown Menace posted:

*all pages related to the US presidency from 2016-2024 mysteriously 404*

the patriots did nothing wrong

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Not quite - they feared that digital society would eventually kill itself, because people would retreat into their own information bubbles instead of engaging with each other - 'nobody is invalidated, but nobody is right'.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Fission Mailed

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

Not quite - they feared that digital society would eventually kill itself, because people would retreat into their own information bubbles instead of engaging with each other - 'nobody is invalidated, but nobody is right'.

Actually, I am in really bad shape financially. I pay money to my ex-wife as part of our divorce settlement, among other bills... I just had no choice but to make you pay for lunch the other day. I'm really sorry.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kawanishi-Noseguchi, Kinunobebashi, Takiyama, Uguisunomori, Tsuzumigataki, Tada, Hirano, Ichinotorii, Uneno, Yamashita, Sasabe, Kofudai, Tokiwadai, Myokenguchi

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

i replayed mgs2 a couple years ago as part of a series retread ahead of mgsv and despite being primitive in some ways it held up really well in others like in the op

mgs3 was more approachable and entertaining and maybe the overall best of the series, but in a way less interesting

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
mgs2 suffers from timecrunch (which is why there's a billion codec calls and why you never really get to sneak in the second half of the big shell) and the reason the ending is weird is because there was supposed to be a cutscene of arsenal gear plowing through new york and the world trade center, and then the world trade center got blown up so they cut that out altogether and you just kind of wind up in the aftermath with no real explanation of how you got there

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

mgs2 suffers from timecrunch (which is why there's a billion codec calls and why you never really get to sneak in the second half of the big shell) and the reason the ending is weird is because there was supposed to be a cutscene of arsenal gear plowing through new york and the world trade center, and then the world trade center got blown up so they cut that out altogether and you just kind of wind up in the aftermath with no real explanation of how you got there

Wow, that makes so much sense. That was such a weird time for pop culture. As much as we're having trouble adjusting to the Trump era, nothing will ever compare to the psychological shift in America post-9/11

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

he who controls the memes controls the world

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Check the plot synopsis on wiwiipedia or something op

pshaw, like i'm gonna ask the internet to tell me the real truth about the internet. major conflict of interest :rolleyes:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

rudatron posted:

Some prediction, even that dumb quake site said that the internet would make people stupid

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
You don't deserve to be free!!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

Big boss was always right

Literally the opposite

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Metal gear solid was great for 1-3. Then Fukushima was kidnapped by the yakuza and the writing went to crazy retarded poo poo. RIP, dude who reined in kojima's terminal retardedness

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

human society w internet is extremely young, it will take decades for it mature so i wouldnt worry about it op

Fullhouse posted:

he who controls the memes controls the world

this is true

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Memes cannot be controlled

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Brother Friendship posted:

human society w internet is extremely young, it will take decades for it mature so i wouldnt worry about it op

i don't think we'll get there because the internet makes things like trump happen, and trump makes things like climate apocalypse and nuclear war happen

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah, the internet made Trump happen. Not the constant attention from mainstream news outlets covering his empty podium or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the patriots were accomplishing world stability with a carefully balanced system of eternal war, and Philanthropy destroyed it :(

• Locked thread