Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Doesn't McQueen come before Jacobi? I'm pretty sure Dark Eyes is a prelude to the Time War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I assumed so. I think the reason people might feel it is a bit vague is because McQueen's Master seems to have been written pretty clearly as a new regeneration as opposed to one of the desperate stop-gap measure possession's he'd been working his way through, which means he got hold of a new Time Lord body somehow BEFORE the Time Lords gave him a full set of new regenerations starting with the Jacobi Master.

It being the Master, the answer is probably something along the lines of,"It just is, that's why."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It being the Master, the answer is probably something along the lines of,"It just is, that's why."

I suddenly really want the upcoming Jacobi audio to feature a scene where the Time Lords offer him a new slate of regenerations only for him to be all "well, um, actually..."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I assumed so. I think the reason people might feel it is a bit vague is because McQueen's Master seems to have been written pretty clearly as a new regeneration as opposed to one of the desperate stop-gap measure possession's he'd been working his way through, which means he got hold of a new Time Lord body somehow BEFORE the Time Lords gave him a full set of new regenerations starting with the Jacobi Master.

Doesn't McQueen say at one point that the time Lords gave him a new set of regenerations in order to help in some forseen conflict?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Fil5000 posted:

Doesn't McQueen say at one point that the time Lords gave him a new set of regenerations in order to help in some forseen conflict?

Yeah, Dark Eyes 2:
"[I'll hand you over to the Time Lords]"
"Aha! hand me over!? Who do you think I'm working for, Doctor? They plucked me from my "predicament" and made an offer I couldn't refuse; an new lease on life, carte blanche. I think I'm being brought back into the fold; being softened up for something."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really need to get around to listening to Dark Eyes... and Doom Coalition!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtvkC9My298

I wonder how one recovers from cyberization

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I really need to get around to listening to Dark Eyes... and Doom Coalition!

Personally I feel Dark Eyes gets slightly worse with each iteration, but I ultimately enjoyed them all. Not got around to Doom Coalition yet.

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtvkC9My298

I wonder how one recovers from cyberization

And also how one recovers from a four inch hole directly through the sternum without cyber bits.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 29, 2017

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Fil5000 posted:

Personally I feel Dark Eyes gets slightly worse with each iteration, but I ultimately enjoyed them all. Not got around to Doom Coalition yet.

And also how one recovers from a four inch hole directly through the sternum without cyber bits.

Probably with some regeneration energy. You know how that poo poo works.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He'll start regenerating and then shoot some energy into Bill and then the cyberman parts will magically fall off of her and she'll be normal again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=477QeNoJnAs

Some questions are answered and more are probably born as a result

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Some newer audios and comics have insinuated pretty strongly that there's at least one incarnation between Delgado and Pratt, and on the whole that's nice since it gives writers a lot more leeway, but at the same time I do think there's something satisfying about the old conception that Delgado was the Master's last regeneration and he melts into Pratt/Beevers. The Master's personality doesn't change that much between incarnations in the classic series, and it's cool to think that the nasty zombie face of Pratt/Beevers was hidden behind Delgado's suave mask the whole time, while Tremas' body allows him to play up his smoother side once again. (and then he turns into a cat person and then into a goo worm)

By the way, is anybody taking part in the BF Short Trip competition this year? I sent something in last year, but it's starting to look like I won't have the time to properly hammer out my submission this year. Best of luck to anyone thinking of taking part, though, and hurry up before it closes!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gah! Forgot about that! Well I'm not going to be able to write a thousand words in a few hours :/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

He'll start regenerating and then shoot some energy into Bill and then the cyberman parts will magically fall off of her and she'll be normal again.

Shamalan plot twist, its actually Missy regenerating.
She takes the Doctor's form to trick Simms into destroying the Cybermen, freeing Bill, but it kills her.
Or does it...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bill was the next incarnation of Missy all along!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss posted:

By the way, is anybody taking part in the BF Short Trip competition this year? I sent something in last year, but it's starting to look like I won't have the time to properly hammer out my submission this year. Best of luck to anyone thinking of taking part, though, and hurry up before it closes!

I thought last year's winner was pretty solid, though it didn't quite execute the concept it was going for successfully. I do kinda wish we could see some of the runner-up entries as well, especially since according to the rules you can't resubmit an idea you've put in before.

Then again maybe in 50 years Big Finish will do a "The Lost Entries" range with the surviving Doctors - A 96 year old David Tennant, an 84 year old Matt Smith, the audio debut of a 103 year old Christopher Eccleston, and of course the continuing adventures of the 133 year old Tom Baker.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I thought last year's winner was pretty solid, though it didn't quite execute the concept it was going for successfully. I do kinda wish we could see some of the runner-up entries as well, especially since according to the rules you can't resubmit an idea you've put in before.

Then again maybe in 50 years Big Finish will do a "The Lost Entries" range with the surviving Doctors - A 96 year old David Tennant, an 84 year old Matt Smith, the audio debut of a 103 year old Christopher Eccleston, and of course the continuing adventures of the 133 year old Tom Baker.

And Jon Pertwee's great-great-grandson who somehow looks and sounds exactly like him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

And Jon Pertwee's great-great-grandson who somehow looks and sounds exactly like him.

"Are you SURE you're not a time-traveling Jon Pertwee?"
Pertwee thoughtfully strokes his chin

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

and of course the continuing adventures of the 133 year old Tom Baker.

Welllllll, usually. You can tell that sometimes he clearly just left one of Madam Tussaud's VoiceWax Replicants in the studio and jogged off to buy drinks for a bunch of people he'd never met before.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Bill was the next incarnation of Missy all along!

That wouldn't be the worst twist

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

One of my first thoughts about Bill was that she was an incarnation of River Song

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I really hope Bill is just Bill Potts. She's a great character.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I really hope Big Finish get the license to do Twelfth Doctor stories. I will happily listen to Capaldi's voice until the end of time itself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plavski posted:

I really hope Big Finish get the license to do Twelfth Doctor stories. I will happily listen to Capaldi's voice until the end of time itself.

Big Finish posted:

We are happy to announce we have signed an iron-clad 15 year deal with Peter Capaldi to do the 12th Doctor Adventures. We also would like to note that while we are happy to announce it, we are also being forced to, because Peter Capaldi showed up at Nick Briggs' door at 5am this morning with 100 pre-written scripts and a gun.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Plus the REAL Thirteenth Doctor adventures starring Tamsin Grieg as the Doctor, Michelle Gomez as Missy, Stephen Mangan and Julian Rhind-Tutt as the Expendables, Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk, and...

What? Why are you staring at me like that? I I I AM NOT OBSESSED WITH GREEN WING, MISTER BOYCE

(I genuinely do want to see Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk now.)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Well then I don't care that he's finishing after this season as we will have Capaldi forever. I am one very happy gentleman.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

docbeard posted:

Plus the REAL Thirteenth Doctor adventures starring Tamsin Grieg as the Doctor, Michelle Gomez as Missy, Stephen Mangan and Julian Rhind-Tutt as the Expendables, Mark Heap as the Meddling Monk, and...

What? Why are you staring at me like that? I I I AM NOT OBSESSED WITH GREEN WING, MISTER BOYCE

If we get Stephen Mangan on the show he should be reprising Dirk Gentley in a Douglas Adams AllStars crossover with Martin Freeman also returning as Arthur Dent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

docbeard posted:

I've held the opinion for a while that Julian Rhind-Tutt would make a great Doctor. Not least of all because he's ginger.

Plus Missy would have twice the reason to obsess over him.

Either that or Dylan Moran as the Doctor with Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig as his expendables.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

I'd be fine with that because it'd mean we'd get to see Mark Heap doing something other than his usual "I'm a bit weird" thing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've held the opinion for a while that Julian Rhind-Tutt would make a great Doctor. Not least of all because he's ginger.

Plus Missy would have twice the reason to obsess over him.

Either that or Dylan Moran as the Doctor with Bill Bailey and Tamsin Greig as his expendables.
I want to see a quick sequence of Doctors that include those three.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Jerusalem posted:

Big Finish posted:

We are happy to announce we have signed an iron-clad 15 year deal with Peter Capaldi to do the 12th Doctor Adventures. We also would like to note that while we are happy to announce it, we are also being forced to, because Peter Capaldi showed up at Nick Briggs' door at 5am this morning with 100 pre-written scripts, Craig Ferguson, and a gun.

Just tweaked that a wee bit for yer.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Until the Doctor's Summer Girl comes along...still, this casting will never not get my vote.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lampsacus posted:

I want to see a quick sequence of Doctors that include those three.

One thing I thought of recently that I imagine could be fun would be a story where the Doctor becomes trapped in a time loop in which he dies, and each time he regenerates into someone different, and each new Nth Doctor has to puzzle things out and leave clues for the next one (like that one episode of TNG where Data remembers Riker's command pips).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ oh hell yeah! If any of us write for D.W. one day remember this post haha!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I thought of recently that I imagine could be fun would be a story where the Doctor becomes trapped in a time loop in which he dies, and each time he regenerates into someone different, and each new Nth Doctor has to puzzle things out and leave clues for the next one (like that one episode of TNG where Data remembers Riker's command pips).

Are you not familiar with the Classic Who story Curse of Fatal Death"? :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sort of like Heaven Sent? :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Plus the REAL Thirteenth Doctor adventures starring Tamsin Grieg

Somehow I hadn't realized she had that minor role in the first season until I rewatched it. It's such a weird, tiny little role for her.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Sort of like Heaven Sent? :shobon:

Indeed, sort of like that, though I think it'd be much cheaper because I imagine you could either set the entire thing in the TARDIS.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

I read a quote once that said if a Doctor Who fan asked Christopher Eccleston to do a personal appearance, he would politely decline, David Tennant would enthusiastically accept, and Matt Smith would show up at your front door in full costume and a sonic screwdriver claiming your family has been taken over by Zygons. Capaldi shows up at your front door in full costume and a sonic screw driver as well, except no one asked him to, he just occasionally does that to random houses.

It's a little worrying that Doctor Who is apparently such a slog to film that even Capaldi said 'gently caress this, it isn't fun anymore'.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

I read a quote once that said if a Doctor Who fan asked Christopher Eccleston to do a personal appearance, he would politely decline, David Tennant would enthusiastically accept, and Matt Smith would show up at your front door in full costume and a sonic screwdriver claiming your family has been taken over by Zygons. Capaldi shows up at your front door in full costume and a sonic screw driver as well, except no one asked him to, he just occasionally does that to random houses.

And Tom Baker is behind you, emptying your drinks cabinet into his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It's a little worrying that Doctor Who is apparently such a slog to film that even Capaldi said 'gently caress this, it isn't fun anymore'.

It seems pretty clear that he didn't leave voluntarily; the BBC felt a younger actor would be better for the brand.

• Locked thread