Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

echoplex posted:

Was the teardrop on the rim supposed to match up with the teardrop on the eye of the current cybermen? (sorry if this is a phenomenally obvious question, I don't know my cybamans)

I got the feeling it was supposed to be indicative of it, but not be a perfect 1-1 match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

I really want that actor to come back in some episode, about to reveal himself to have been the mastermind behind some scheme to get the Doctor, and just as he begins to launch into his monologue, he gets shot by a Dalek before he can open his mouth.

At the end of the Eccleston season, when you hear the booming Dalek Emperor say 'they survived through [i]me' they used that line in the Next Time trailer without showing who said it. People were theorising it was Adam coming back, transformed by some means.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0CGeNe-lY

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

2house2fly posted:

For 11, why not do Time Of The Doctor. It isn't really a Cybermen story but come on, it has Handles :3:

Aww Handles. Truly the best of us. Who said Moffat doesn't kill companions? :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4k_gVm5RFs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm honestly hoping we do find out on Saturday, but purely as a surprise. Imagine the coup that would be. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I do like that Anthony Stewart Head's name has surprisingly turned up in the running recently. It's almost certainly not him, but it'd be nice.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Cleretic posted:

And remember, the Doctor brought later versions of at least two of them to the colony ship.

Huh? EX-PLAIN!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Gah! Forgot about that! Well I'm not going to be able to write a thousand words in a few hours :/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bill was the next incarnation of Missy all along!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I thought of recently that I imagine could be fun would be a story where the Doctor becomes trapped in a time loop in which he dies, and each time he regenerates into someone different, and each new Nth Doctor has to puzzle things out and leave clues for the next one (like that one episode of TNG where Data remembers Riker's command pips).

Sort of like Heaven Sent? :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

McGann would have come, but he had work commitments.

And forgot where you lived.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

The black hole scenario in the movie Interstellar had a Kip Thorne, a physicist from CalTech go over it and decide it actually could work, but even then they had to use a lot of spherical cows.

I had to look up this phrase. Now I understand, but it also had this :3: gif directly on the wiki page:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"One day, I shall come back." :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ2tRqYLiNs

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I like that it looked like a dematerialisation circuit should.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The tragedy is that the Doctor thinks Bill is still a Cyberman, either dead or alive and alone on floor 507.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm reading 12's desire to not regenerate differently than 10's. 10 wanted to keep on being 10 "I could do so much more" and "time lord victorious" and all; whereas 12 seems much more like "I just don't want to do this any more" and he'd be okay with keeling over dead if it means not having to keep traipsing though time and space with a new body for the umpteenth time.

"I suddenly realised what the old proverb meant! 'To lose is to win, and he who wins shall lose.' It was all part of Rassilon's trap to find out who wanted immortality and put him out of the way. He knew very well that immortality was a curse. Not a blessing."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

They're filming the Christmas special right now aren't they? I imagine it was just the very last shot with the first Doctor that they held off on.

edit: I'm not a cosplay person, but I can't wait to see what people do with Mondasian Cyberman costumes now since they are one that you could actually pull off quite well.

I only noticed last night that the bottom of the chest unit has the keyboard and drip built in.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wish they'd cobbled a few inbetween stage Cybermen together too (Tomb, Invasion, Silver Nemesis, etc), rather than jumping from cloth face to Lumic model

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TinTower posted:

There's a reason why Moff's second biggest excess – the Doctor getting another set of regenerations – used Gallifrey then Ten's theme, after all.

It uses a wonderfully triumphant bit of the Gallifrey theme that I absolutely adore (it's real 'the Gods have arrived' type music).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzxx1WkITXg

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Obviously we'll know who the next Doctor is before the special airs, but when? Is that the sort of thing they'd announce at SDCC in two weeks?

Nah, very unlikely. Capaldi was announced on a special live half hour show on BBC One that spun its wheels for 28 minutes before finally revealing him.

The best next Doctor reveal was when they revealed Matt Smith. They put up a special 15 minute long Doctor Who Confidential, so they had talking heads with the new producers, Moffat, etc, and then it switches to this young guy, and he's talking about stuff for 5 seconds before the title comes up 'Matt Smith - The Eleventh Doctor'. Super subtly done, and very classy. :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe the Master will realise silly and whimsy isn't getting them anywhere, and they'll regenerate into Charles Dance, just to go for terrifying instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder if Peter will get the Proclaimers into the studio for a big singalong finale again...? :shobon:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Patrick Troughton :smug:

No, the Dominators is dreadful.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We'll probably talk more about Classic Who between now and the Xmas special, as the current season just finished.

Basically every Doctor is a good Doctor, they just sometimes have bad stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eh, there's a couple bad Doctors that sometimes have good stories.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW <:mad:>

• Locked thread