Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Just picked the John Hurt tribute issue of DWM, and in it, Big Finish revealed that John had agreed to do 4 more boxsets before he passed.

Oh, what could have been!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Man...that's something I think I would have been happier not knowing

Okay, how about learning that when Tom, Lalla, and Graham Crowden went and saw "Alien" in theaters, halfway during the film, Tom shouted "Why don't they just go down into the cargo hold and bore the alien to death!"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rochallor posted:

Nardole is perfectly fine but I'm not sure having him around actually helps anything. You could remove him from the rest of the season and not really anything would change.

So you've seen the entire season then, and know what part he plays in it?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Listening to a recent Tom adventure "The Silent Scream". It guest stars Pamela Salem, who worked with Tom on "The Robots of Death." Tom revealed this interesting tidbit:

He actually knew her husband before he knew her. They used to workout at the gym together.

What? That doesn't sound like Tom!

And afterwards, they'd go to the club for drinks.

Okay, that sounds like Tom

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Or it cuts to footage of Sixs big speech at the trial.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Some of their stuff is legit recorded that far in advance

And honestly, not to be fatalistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Big Finish gets Tom in as often as they can, just in case of, well, sudden demise.

Tom himself has said they'll be releasing new stuff with him long after he's gone.

David Richardson said recently that they were in preproduction for series TEN. The new companion debuts in series EIGHT.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

remusclaw posted:

There was a run of Doctor Who specifically designed to avoid dimly lit rooms. It does not particularly look like it was well budgeted.

Yeah, but things were different in the 80s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Anybody else think Nardole is getting more and more sinister with each passing ep?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

He was definitely up for doing the 50th if Euros Lyn (or Joe Ahearne, I can't remember which) had be hired to direct it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The 10th Doctor starts to mention Jesus in a roundabout way in Planet of the Dead before getting cut off. You probably forgot because like the rest of humanity you tried to scrub that lovely, terrible episode from your brain.

In the Eighth Doctor audio "Relative Dimensions", the Doctor tells a story about Da Vinci begging him to take him to see the birth of Jesus. He did, but Da Vinci grew wary about seeing it once they had arrived and they left.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Learned a cool fact while reading the new DWM special about Doctor Who Toys & Games, so let's have a little fun!

Trivia Time!

Are you ready?

Here we go!

In "The Day of the Doctor", Tom Baker cameoed as "The Curator". When Character Options needed to take reference photos to make The Curator action figure, where did the photo shoot take place?

a) The British Museum set
b) Tom's dressing room
c) The TARDIS set
d) A pub

Answer: It's Tom, so you KNOW the answer is d) a pub

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Can we talk about the one most brilliant thing about this ep? Not once was Erica's height ever mentioned.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Delgado: Charming psychopath.

Ainley: Psychopath pretending to be charming.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it didn't make any sense, it was there to pull a quick "gotcha" on the audience and Bill.

It's the Doctor, when isn't he theatrical?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

CommonShore posted:

This must be one of the challenges of writing major destructive/conquering villains for the series - how do they measure against Dalek perfection? If they're more dangerous than the Daleks, why haven't they been a major threat until now? If they're less dangerous, then how can they challenge The Doctor?

This was basically every villain in the NAs. "They're more powerful than the Daleks! They can wipe out a whole fleet with a single thought!"

(Because Virgin couldn't get the rights to the Daleks and decided to be really childish about it.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

remusclaw posted:

It's too bad that outside of the audios the last time the Cybermen were written well was in the second Doctor's run.

I've always enjoyed the observation that if the Cybermen don't perceive you as a threat, a danger, or something of value or use to their plans, they could conceivable leave you alone.

Meanwhile the Daleks exterminate a bunch of rats in a cage in Daleks' Masterplan because "gently caress them".

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

One thing I've always wanted to see is a story where the Cybermen are on the offensive and then the moment they've taken enough territory to feel their SURVIVAL is longer threatened they just.... stop. No communication, no threats etc, they just lose all interest or motivation to fight and just stand there existing. Why? Because they MUZZZZZT!

The one image I've always wanted to see was the Doctor and friends coming upon a battlefield, and in it are hordes of Weeping Angels, with a Cyberman standing before each one, resulting in an eternal stalemate.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Alpha Centauri was the one-eyed Alien on the screen at the end. Ysanne Churchman wasn't in Terrahawks, sadly, but now you've made me remember its greatness.

Terrahawks, of course, just being the latest series from Big Finish:

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/terrahawks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

BBC: Let's cast this Swinton fellow, he seems like quite the handsome chap!
Chibnal: Actually Til-
Moffat: Shuuuuuuut upppppppppp

She'd also beat out Hartnell and Capaldi as the oldest person to be cast as the Doctor.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

So Gatiss and Moffat are going to be doing Dracula series for the BBC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

There were bits of it I enjoyed.

Obviously it's not as good as the Jeremy Brett series from the 1980s, but what is?

The BBC radio series starring Clive Merrison.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Look up Cyberleader David Banks' book "Cybermen" from the 90s if you want to see someone explain away and label all the various evolutions of the Cybermen.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Moffat actually talked about this in a DWM. BF had invited him, along with other writers, to pitch ideas, and Moffat candidly admitted to walking out early after telling them that the whole project was doomed to fail. He then admitted that he couldn't believe how stupid he had been and hoped that they would welcome him back when things like Coupling and Jekyll, and Doctor Who got in the way.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No, this doesn't negate Spare Parts. Since they're both a race of Mondasians, they'd have the access to the same technology. So some people decided to stay on Mondas and retreat underground, others decided to escape on a ship. It would make sense that presented with the same problem (survival at any cost) their doctors and scientists would come to the same conclusion (Conversion).

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 25, 2017

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I'm glad they didn't call this episode Genesis of the Cybermen for a few reasons, but hearing the Master say the line would've made a good ending to the episode if it was called that. Either way, I got fooled as to Mr. Razor's identity until he met Missy. Simm is a really, REALLY good actor.

I thought it was Simm at first because of the obvious prosthetics, but after a few moments, thought, nah, that ain't him. He was that good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

I legit thought that was Simon Peg for a little bit.

After dismissing Simm, I was think that it was Mark Gatiss.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

What exactly prevented them from going back to the control room? Obviously they were able to go up to take away Humans for whatever reason. It seems like any real situation would have them go down into the ship, take a look around and then come back to the control room to the guy standing there saying "You've only been gone for a couple seconds!." It would have made more sense if they started off at the bottom of the ship and then a couple people went up to the control room. Then it turns out that while they've spent an hour or so figuring out what's going on up there, hundreds of years or whatever passed back down below. It makes no sense that someone would start at the top, go to the bottom, and just never go back.

Razor said something about a deck that no one had returned from, so that only converted people could survive the journey.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

When they first went down there to check things out, there were no converted people.

They had gone down there to restart/power the engines to try to escape the black hole. Something, that incident on the deck, kept them from making the full journey back up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

It would kind of suck if the last two black regulars on this show (Danny and Bill) were both Cyber-Converted.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really remember all that much about the Simm master as it was so many years ago when I watched it. What was the conclusion of his arc? Is it possible for him to take off after being prime minister and keep doing Master stuff before turning into MIssy?

He was killed while being PM, then resurrected by his "wife", then went to Gallifrey while it was being locked away.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

Davidson was ok but he's no Christopher Ecclestone.

2 days bridge= 365,000 days at the bottom. If a Mondasian year is the same as Earth's, then they were down there for 1000 years.

Well, of course a Mondas year is the same as Earth's; it's Earth's twin!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I think the most terrifying thing was the pre-Cybermen scarecrows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Bill and Heather break down in the cosmos, and Me and Clara run across them. The Doctor looks at his monitor and sees what looks like 2 girls waterskiing through space while being towed by a small diner.

Oh, jeez, Moffat, now that's an Easter Egg.

William (Bill) Hartnell's wife was called Heather.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm sure they'll take care of you. When I bought UNIT Dominion it went on sale the next day, I asked nicely and they gave me a refund of the difference between my purchase price and the discount price. (Which I turned around and gave right back to them for a different audio)

Big Finish's customer service is second to none.

i.e. The release Quicksilver had a fault. The discs were printed with the art from Absolute Power on them. Without asking, they sent out replacements with the correct artwork on them. Original Sin had a typo on the spine, and they sent out corrected inserts, again, without prompting. I once had an order stolen from my mailbox, and they sent out replacements, free of charge. I may have to wait a little longer for a shipment, but I will not buy BF from anyone other than BF.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Hell, I've got an even more esoteric one...when I bought the Destiny of the Doctor complete series release, I noticed that the track ordering was screwed up. (It went 1, 10, 11, 2...etc). I pointed it out to them via a casual facebook message....its fixed now.

When they released the extended extras to the 4th/7th Doctor Novel adaptations, it was one massive track that couldn't be burned to a single CD. I emailed them and asked if there was anyway to have a version split so I could burn them to several CDs. I few days later I got a reply telling me that they've done it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Do we know he refused to regenerate? He's dying, not dead, after Missy stabbed him; surely he dies a few hours later and regenerates into Missy.

It's referring to LAst of the Time Lords with 10, where the Master is shot and refuses to regenerate, just to stick it to 10, and leaving him alone once more.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe the Master will realise silly and whimsy isn't getting them anywhere, and they'll regenerate into Charles Dance, just to go for terrifying instead.

I want Matt Berry. Just go full on Ainley.

Chokes McGee posted:

My reaction to the finale: wow, after that good of an episode it's really lame to have Twelve just decide not to regenerate, that seems like kind of a cop ooooOOOOOOH MY GOOOOD IT'S OOOOOOONE :psyboom:

If he didn't regenerate, then it means he's dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

David Tennant: The Doctor is my father-in-law. I win.

• Locked thread