Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sad King Billy posted:

They haven't done an episode with Xenophilia yet. That is a barrier that needs to be crossed.

Vastra and Jenny?
Or... I guess that's not really an example rooted in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Vastra isn't an alien. :colbert:

....okay?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Finally caught up. It was a good season!

Honestly, I think the title for this thread was part of why I put off watching it... I figured if "It speaks emoji!" was the only line worth keeping as the title for the entire season, that there must not have been anything good going on.

Turns out it's just a terrible thread title.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

Please don't ever take goons this seriously again.

Nah, I'm mostly kidding, I just wanted to dunk on the thread title.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

CommonShore posted:

The main difference between this one and the other Master deaths is that it's self-inflicted, so s/he presumably knows all of the tricks and exits. Even if we do get a new Master, it probably won't be for a few years now.

Wilderness Years aside, what's the longest they've gone without having The Master show up?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The meat of the first episode is making us Have Fun With Fake Zathras in order to set up the betrayal.

Hehe.

Weirdly, the whole time I was thinking that he sounded kind of like Londo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The trouble is that it's always an impression of Hartnell, and it feels ghoulish to me. Same as the CGI Peter Cushing.

So do you find every historical episode ever ghoulish as well?

Do you also hate biopics?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 3, 2017

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

That's different; I don't have any issue with biopics, for example, which is an actor portraying a historical figure. An actor doing an imitation of another actor's performance of a specific character is weird, though. It limits the potential of the new actor to give their interpretation of the role (they are specifically imitating another actor's imitation rather than giving their own) and also feels disrespectful to to the original actor they're imitating.

Is an actor who is portraying a historical figure that has been on camera (say, Churchill or Nixon) not limited in exactly the same way, though? Meta-context aside, they're still trying their best to recreate a persona that has been on-screen.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The only other example I can think of, weirdly, is MST3K. If tomorrow, Joel Hodgdson died, but the show had an episode where some impressionist was hired to play "Joel Robinson" for a cameo, it would understandably be off-putting and disrespectful.

If Joel were dead, and they were doing a multi-host special... ehh, I wouldn't find it disrespectful. Joel Robinson is a character just as much as Crow T Robot is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Frankly, I feel like recasting the Doctor and coming up with the regeneration mechanism while Hartnell was still alive was way more disrespectful to him as a person. (Though I understand why it happened. And I'm certainly not complaining, as it led to... the entire rest of the franchise.)

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread