Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, the 9th Doctor Chronicles hit today. Hopefully the stories are good even if Briggs' 9 isn't so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/860041491582001153

So they're finally giving Tom a full-time audio-exclusive companion.

I'm honestly a bit shocked it hadn't happened already, given BF's proclivity for such things.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Here's a tidbit; the first story in the 9th Doctor Chronicles takes place so early that he's still using the War Doctor's sonic.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

Also tre cool: they're making plans for new T Bakes audios for 2 years out. :swoon:

Some of their stuff is legit recorded that far in advance

And honestly, not to be fatalistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Big Finish gets Tom in as often as they can, just in case of, well, sudden demise.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've listened to the first two 9th Doctor Chronicles stories, and started the third. I wouldn't say these stories thus far are absolutely unmissable...but they're pretty solid. The writing really feels like the 9th Doctor era, (up to and including the RTD era's proclivity for the Cloister Bell ringing for a relatively trivial thing and the particular way the TARDIS is described as materializing).

Briggs' 9 is growing on me. He's not a skilled impressionist; but he's got the general tone and cadence down.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Torchwood Series 5: Aliens Among Us coming not to your television screens, but to your headphones! RTD himself actually was involved in the early planning stuff.

If you don't feel like clicking through, the gist is that Big Finish is doing a 12 episode Torchwood series, released as three 4-episode box sets (coming in August, October, and next February). Full cast, with Jack, Gwen, Rhys, and Andy; being joined by new characters Mr Colchester (Paul Clayton), Ng (Alexandria Riley), Tyler (Jonny Green) and Orr (Sam Béart).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Timby posted:

Didn't we only hear that for the first time in the revival in The Sound of Drums?

Plus the Children in Need minisode between Seasons 1 and 2 (10's first time flying), and the Time Crash minisode.

But yeah, upon looking at the tardis wiki page for it, that was more of a Moffat thing than an RTD one. My bad!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Another week, another themed Big Finish Sale! The only thing I need this week is Jago & Litefoot & Strax...but I can recommend the 4th Doctor Cloisters of Terror.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I feel a bit in the minority; that episode didn't do a whole lot for me. It was fine, I didn't dislike it...but it was just "okay" to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hehe, 9th Doctor Chronicles pulls the same non-spoiler foreshadowing that UNIT does

Rose: "This Christmas, we're coming home.
Doctor: "Over my dead body..."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

glowing-fish posted:

Who else was a little bit curious about the Doctor saying Bill was his granddaughter?

Because it doesn't seem impossible that she is.

It hasn't been mentioned since, but in the first episode, when Bill was looking at pictures of her mother, wasn't there one with her mother and The Doctor?

Uhh...you know he was just continuing the cover story Bill ad-libbed, right?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

all-Rush mixtape posted:

88 is code for Heil Hiter, as H is the 8th letter of the alphabet.

That's.....a bit of a stretch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just listened to Torchwood: Corpse Day. Holy gently caress. What a hosed up story. Like; seriously bleak, depressing, and....yikes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

It's Torchwood, what'd you expect? Especially with a name like "Corpse Day"

If it had been anything else, I'd have been impressed

Well, you're not wrong. And to clarify...it was a good story; just....uncomfortable. Like an audio Countrycide

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I completely misread what he resolution of this episode was gonna be. I thought it was going to be something to the effect of "even if inefficient, discarding potentially useful equipment is a bad idea" and it was gonna be revealed that everyone's nervous systems just "switched off" and not actually dead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
AHHHHHH YESSSSSSSS

Edit: they're running a 24 hour sale on the first set of 10th stories, half off.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 15, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The fact that David is willing to come back makes 10's inclusion in the Chronicles line even more baffling to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DoctorWhat posted:

JACKIE'S BACK!!!

After her story from the 9th Doctor Chronicles...yeah, this is some of the best news here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Too bad Eccleston hates Doctor Who.

That's not the impression he gave in a few statements in the lead up to the 50th. He's just put Doctor Who behind him and (currently) has little to no interest in reprising his role.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Do you have a source on that? The worst I've heard him say is that he had some disagreements with some of the production staff from his season. That wouldn't be a problem for coming to do Big Finish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nick Briggs is also voicing 10 and 11 for Big Finish. Guess Tennant and Smith also hate Who

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Jack says he's "omnisexual", which tends to amount to the same thing, but they explicitly didn't say "bi".

Also, I think people are reacting to Bill's line from Knock Knock about "mostly" preferring girls

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah; a lot of bi people get pigeonholed as "you're straight but doing things with other guys/girls for attention" or "you're gay but don't want the stigma" or whatever. Or, if a bi person is in a long term monogamous relationship, they often get asked "so you aren't actually bi? You're gay/straight?" (Depending on the gender of the partner)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and when characters are depicted as bi, they often get described as "greedy", or "show offish" or are automatically assumed to want multiple partners (simultaneously or sequentially), or that they cannot commit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Eh, that really has more to do with a person's own feelings on their sexuality than anything else.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-week-6

Today's Big Finish deal is an old story with Michelle Gomez in it, and the the Two Masters trilogy.

I haven't listened to the former, but I can highly recommend the latter

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Interesting that the Big Finish sale focused on the Master than the A-plot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Anybody else having a problem with Big Finish's site? It keeps logging me out and no matter what page I go to it just gives a(n internal) 404 page saying they've recently redesigned their website and the page can't be found anymore.

I was about to say "nope, it was working fine for me"...but sometime in the last hour or so its started having exactly the problem you're describing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Well I'm glad it's not just me, I just hope it didn't gently caress up my purchase since it happened while the payment was going through.

The error is severe enough that I can't even use their app to listen to stuff I have downloaded to my phone. Yikes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if they're still attributing every Time War Dalek and every Time Lord to him.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just encountered a Facebook commenter holding up the Zygon 2-parter as "brilliant" and "the best Doctor Who has been". And I just wonder what show they've actually been watching.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I waffle on which message is worse. "Be scared of immigrants/refugees" and "hey kids, don't take your medicine" are both pretty lovely...but the latter targets one of the most vulnerable groups of people

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And the former doesn't?

The former also has the political message of "If you don't like the way you're treated for reasons of the way you were born, I don't give a gently caress just shut up and take it" which is the superset of basically all horrible things ever.

Oh I wasn't at all trying to say the former did not!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also she and Danny, despite being English and Maths teachers at a high school, are somehow the ones responsible for chaperoning primary school children to a history museum for an overnight stay -- something which I'm pretty sure is not a thing.

I mean, there's that "logic" to parse in the very set up of the episode before you even get into the tree stuff, or the missing sister, or anything else at all.

I always try to let media, be it TV, film, books, have the premise and setup as a gimmie...but yeah, that was credulity-straining

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

How has this season been? I didn't like the Christmas Special that much so took a break.

Possibly the best season since the show came back

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Can we all just appreciate for a moment that Doctor Who just took a shot at Donald J. Trump?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

By putting the Doctor in the role of Trump and having everyone ignore his advice and die horribly?

I was laughing when the leaders were turned into dust - they deserved it

Typical Harness episode, and even Moffat's writing doesn't hide the stupidity

No, I meant Bill saying "I wouldn't have even voted for him, he's.....orange"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Can we talk about the one most brilliant thing about this ep? Not once was Erica's height ever mentioned.

Absolutely agreed. I was afraid they had written a part specifically for the actress, and was pleased that that was not the case.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Eighth Doctor Time War set is now the first of an annual series of 4!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-big-finish-sunday-digest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder how many are adapted War Doctor stories, changed after the tragic news? :(

I actually just asked that over on Facebook. It's a tragic necessity...but it would be a good way to make use of those scripts and do what they can to pay respect.

On another note, I listened to the trailer, and at the end there's a very modern-Who sounding sting of the pre-main theme music. Maybe these releases will use the Night of the Doctor version of the theme?

• Locked thread