Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

Four more years of the 8th Doctor is very good news indeed :)

I just hope there's more coming out for 8 besides those, given the year long gaps between 2-3, and 3-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

They've said there is! Doom Coalition 4 ends on a cliffhanger they mean to resolve. The Time War ones will just be at a later point in his incarnation.

Huzzah!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Big Finish Listener's Title for June is their first monthly small-cast Torchwood drama, The Conspiracy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

Happy birthday to Colin Baker!

And we all know what that means! Even more of him! Big Finish has a today-only sale on; focused pretty heavily on his non-6th Doctor roles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
If nothing else; this season being so incredibly strong (even the Monk 3 parter had some cool ideas) gives me hope that no matter who the showrunner is, there's always the possibility for Doctor Who to be great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Absolutely not the news I was expecting to wake up to!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have opinions on the Graceless audio dramas from Big Finish? I listened to the Key 2 Time Doctor Who releases and while I'm not, like, champing at the bit for more Amy/Abby and Zara, if the dramas are well done, I might check them out (context: they're 40% off on BF today)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

They're unfortunately quite bad, and that's coming from someone who mostly really liked the Key 2 Time. :(

e: I only got through the first two seasons, though, and I think they just kept making them? It's possible they got better, but I doubt it.

They've released 4 sets so far. Guess I'll give them a pass then. Thanks!

The_Doctor posted:

Grace Holloway doesn't turn up at all. :mad:

Well, yeah...its GraceLESS after all

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Very minor spoiler I'll bring over from the spoiler thread, the singsong Mondasian voices are apparently unchanged

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I unironically really like that song

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/morganjeffery/status/878282263670046720

Here's a link to a fun little piece looking back on the history of Big Finish, and their relationship with the BBC. Amusing that Moffat was at the initial meeting between Briggs and the BBC, but walked out

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only thing I never got is how blocking emotions stops people/cybermen 'caring' about pain.

Pain is not an emotion. Pain is pain and even without emotions it's easily powerful enough to shut down a body. No matter your state of mind, if you're in enough pain you simply cannot move your body properly or will faint.

Some people "push past" pain as an act of will (like athletes and whatnot), maybe not having emotions to deal with makes that will stronger?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

2house2fly posted:

Ah, if you live for fifty years before you die then you don't actually die. Did not know that.

I think people are drawing a distinction between getting killed off, and dying of old age

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Well, been a while since a Doctor Who episode actually frightened me.

Yeah, even knowing the Cyberman reveal was coming, the hospital full of partial converts only saying "pain pain pain" and "kill me" was genuinely unsettling.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---series-10-special-offer-finale-week-12

The Big Finish sale for this episode is just....HUGE. A story or box set from every single Doctor. The first two series of Esrly Adventures, the first Third Doctor Box, the first Hinchcliffe box, the Fifth Doctor Box, the Last Adventure, some Bernice stuff, Dark Eyes, the first War Doctor set, and Destiny of the Doctor and Light at the End

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BSam posted:

The best part of this season has been Burkion saying before most episodes "This has the potential to really upset/anger me, prepare for my rage" and then after each episode saying "yeah, that was good"

or words to that effect.

Yeah, I like it when Burk is happy. As someone who podcasted with him, that's so rare

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm reading 12's desire to not regenerate differently than 10's. 10 wanted to keep on being 10 "I could do so much more" and "time lord victorious" and all; whereas 12 seems much more like "I just don't want to do this any more" and he'd be okay with keeling over dead if it means not having to keep traipsing though time and space with a new body for the umpteenth time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Forktoss posted:

Has anyone listened to the first season of the Early Adventures? Bradley has got me on a First Doctor kick, and I'd be tempted to pick up some of the ones on sale if there are any particular highlights.

I'd honestly recommend the entire first series. Especially on sale like they are. The first one (the Voord one) was my least favorite, but it was still good.

If you really only want one or two...Doctor's Tale and Ordinary Life.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

docbeard posted:

Agreed. Not a slight on either Tennant's or Smith's performances (I think they're both brilliant actors and Tennant's Doctor in particular is often, I think, unfairly maligned), but they would have given it a different energy. Paul McGann is honestly the only person who's played the Doctor that I think could come close to the level of sheer pleading desperation for them to just get it that Capaldi was evoking, and I don't think he'd have done it better.

Ooh, now I hope someone gets McGann to read that speech at a convention. (Or not. I honestly feel a bit bad for the actors getting handed lines they've never seen before and expected to deliver them in character)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

I thought I picked that, the 2nd volume and the 3rd Doctor Adventures as part of today's special but I realized after I went to download it that I'd actually somehow ordered two copies of volume 2 instead :doh: Trying to see if I can get Big Finish to fix it, ironically if I'd brought them separately their system would have warned me I already had it.

I'm sure they'll take care of you. When I bought UNIT Dominion it went on sale the next day, I asked nicely and they gave me a refund of the difference between my purchase price and the discount price. (Which I turned around and gave right back to them for a different audio)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

Big Finish's customer service is second to none.

i.e. The release Quicksilver had a fault. The discs were printed with the art from Absolute Power on them. Without asking, they sent out replacements with the correct artwork on them. Original Sin had a typo on the spine, and they sent out corrected inserts, again, without prompting. I once had an order stolen from my mailbox, and they sent out replacements, free of charge. I may have to wait a little longer for a shipment, but I will not buy BF from anyone other than BF.

Hell, I've got an even more esoteric one...when I bought the Destiny of the Doctor complete series release, I noticed that the track ordering was screwed up. (It went 1, 10, 11, 2...etc). I pointed it out to them via a casual facebook message....its fixed now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

How did John Simm kill Missy with a sonic screwdriver? That was dumb.

It goes back to Simm's original appearance in Series 3; he has a "Laser Screwdriver" instead of a sonic one. Its a weapon and can also hyper-age people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just listened to Big Finish's interview with Colin Baker, and both he and Briggs speculate that a lot of 6 hate is not necessarily due to the stories themselves, but due to contemporary knowledge of Baker being sacked, and modern "common knowledge" that 6 was the one that is bad. Like a self-fulfilling hate prophecy

• Locked thread