Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I thought the episode was okay to good. The plot was a little light, and a little too reminiscent of The Lodger for me to really fully engage with it, but I liked Bill well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fil5000 posted:

Five quid says the election fucks with Who scheduling.

I'll be honest with you, if that is the only thing this election fucks then I will count us loving lucky.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

It credits Chibnall with the arc stuff at the start and finish of the Silurian two-parter, but I thought that those were the only 2 bits that were actually added by Moffat to the episode rather than written by Chibnall (and are, not coincidently, the only two bits you need to watch you can happily skip the rest of it). Of the nu-who episodes he has written, I think "Dinosaurs on a spaceship" is probably the only one I dont outright hate. Its not a great episode, but its mediocre and largely forgettable as opposed to his usual level of boring and terrible. The Silurian two parter isnt "unfairly assessed as the least of a good bunch" so much as bad episodes of television made to look worse by being in the middle of arguably the best season of Doctor Who ever (or at least in the modern era). They would have been bad episodes in any season but they wouldnt have looked as awful if they had been bookended by say The Satan Pit and Love and Monsters instead of Amys Choice and Vincent and the Doctor. On a basic level I just dont like his writing at all.

I'm holding out hope that he decides that Showrunner should be a different job from Chief Writer and so we dont get him writing a lot of episodes, because while I'm sure he has many talents, writing good episodes of doctor who doesnt seem to be one of them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Fil5000 posted:

His season one episode of Life on Mars is genuinely terrible. I'm prepared to keep an open mind but that one piece of writing soured me on him.

Which episode was that? I looked it up but imdbs very brief synopsis isn't ringing any bells at all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

In the future resting bitch face will be a terminal condition.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Doctor Who series 10 (season 36): This is a great day out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I thought that was better than last weeks episode, and I enjoyed last weeks fine. Was a little distracted at the end trying to work out if the guy with the beard was Ralph Little (it was, for the record) but overall I enjoyed that Who. The emojibots were a little too charming if anything, their frowny faces were adorable and they have comedy pot bellies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

I just think that needed a bit more articulation, especially considering it follows last week's episode where a mind-wipe is strongly pushed as a bad thing that is taking away something precious from the person.

Like Strom Cuzewon, when the robot got shot and the other one started flashing between differing emotional states I got it into my head that it was experiencing grief for the first time, the emotion they hadn't been able to understand in the humans which lead to the deaths in the first place. I would have loved if the Doctor had explained the emotion to them and brokered a peace, then told the humans to be LESS emotional and put aside that the robots had killed the set-up crew and set a standard/example for the robots to learn from as they worked together as equals on the planet.

I still liked the ending and really enjoyed the episode, it just felt slightly rushed. This is so much better than In the Forest of the Night it's not even funny though, I would really look forward to seeing him write another episode now.

Honestly, when the robot got shot and his lil buddy started having negative emotions for a second I thought the other robots would kill his buddy, then get sad, then be killed by other robots until within minutes all the robots were dead, mirroring the "grief as a virus" that wiped out the humans. I mean, that would have been slightly bleak, but there you go.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Poor Pete. Was good while he lasted.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The CGI whalefish is... Well, let's say standard BBC quality.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

J33uk posted:

I'm an easy mark but gently caress it I loved the knocking

So it's pretty definitely wilf in the vault, right?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Veritas has shown the aliens that the best way to conquer earth is to persuade all humans that they are in a simulation, wait, and then sweep up the ones who didnt kill themselves.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I try not to judge two parters until they are finished, but... That was not good. I thought last weeks was okay, but this weeks was verging on hungry earth bad. Maybe the next episode will make this one retroactively better, but I reckon at best it'll be "power through the first episode, the second is good".

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"only people under 5 foot tall should be scientists"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lots of planets have an Egypt.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The regeneration energy thing; Was the room Bill shot The Doctor in the same room he was broadcasting propaganda from? Because if so then all they needed for it to make sense was for one of the soldiers to say "And the feed is cut" immediately after he starts to "regenerate" before he reveals it was a fakeout for it to make some kind of sense. The room is wired for picture and sound, the doctor spewing regeneration energy would sell "the doctor was killed" to the monks if they were monitoring the room. Of course, if they know about regeneration then they'd also know that the doctor wasnt actually dead (even if Bill had actually shot him), but it makes a little more sense to me that way. Of course, he didnt then use the fact that the monks might think he was dead (or at least had a different face) in his plan at all, but I wonder if in an earlier draft it was a plot point that got cut or something.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

How hard can it possibly be to get fake rocks that arent obviously fake? Because that was some big grey polystyrene bullshit right there. Apart from that episode was pretty okay. And took me a minute to recognise "tell that to kanjiklub" as one of the romans.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm digging missy taking the piss out of the core premise of the show.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm getting the oddest sound thing going on since his flashbacks started; The SFX is playing, the music is playing but distorted and the vocals are basically not playing at all except a few faint sounds when hes shouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CommonShore posted:

The main difference between this one and the other Master deaths is that it's self-inflicted, so s/he presumably knows all of the tricks and exits. Even if we do get a new Master, it probably won't be for a few years now.

I mean, its not like this was a preplanned ambush, he shot her in the back with the weapon he had to hand while he was bleeding to death from a gut wound. If they wanted they could have missy turn up in the Xmas special, unregenerated with an offhand "lI never was the most precise shot" or something. I mean, they wont, but they absolutely could. Has anyone counted up how many times the master has definately died, for realsies, honestly, no coming back from this one no siree bob? Personally I hope when the master comes back they give precisely zero explaination as to how they survived. In fact, it wouldnt make sense for us to get an explaination as The Doctor doesnt know Missy died, so he wouldnt know to ask the Master why he isnt dead. I doubt we'll get any Master appearences in the next year, but purely so that when they do cast/feature a new master its a bigger deal. After that I'd say its fair game for a return.

• Locked thread