Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

PriorMarcus posted:

I can 100% tell you that the show isn't being renewed forever.

This isn't really a shocking fact, or anything, though, is it. You also made out that us all being unemployed at the end of S9 was a definite sign of the end of DW, and not just what always happens when a series wraps.

Jerusalem posted:

Well I really, really liked that. And I really like Bill. Really hoping the rest of the season is as strong.

Bill and Peter are superb together. Knew it from the first scenes they shot and really glad it's come across in the edit.

Someone had a go at me for using "the doctor who series" font on that sign so I had to dig out the reference for them. You're in a bad place when even I know more about Doctor Who than you do.

How good do the TARDIS's new signs look? (very good is the answer). The university office set is one of the best we've done in years, I think.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I did a 1-on-1 photoshoot with PC for the image of him appearing in the mirror on that photo, and I have to say, I've never worked with an actor who was as helpful/giving on a photocall, let alone one for a graphic (as opposed to a press/promo deal)

I'll miss him ever so much.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 17, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

cargohills posted:

Eight's TV Movie/Night of the Doctor sonic was there. I think there's only one copy of the Big Finish sonic and I don't think the BBC have the rights to it (I think the model-maker owns the design).

Also, there hasn't been a second series of Class yet.

From memory that was a late-ish request and there was a lot of panick'd ebaying / phoning collectors. I think we hired some guy's personal set.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Jerusalem posted:

Terrance Dicks: I'm so glad production on Doctor Who hasn't changed since my day :allears:

The S9 opener was similarly painful - we were pulling in Daleks from every corner of the country, from other BBC studios, exhibits, private owners etc. There was a dedicated budget line for Dalek transport. I got a few friends' replica Daleks shipped over but sadly none were used. DW has motion picture problems on TV deadlines.

I don't think anyone noticed but there actually a few miniature / model shots in that episode that used repainted/re-detailed off-the-shelf radio control Dalek toys. Of course these were out of production at the time of the episode so our poor buyers were urgently phoning up people selling them on ebay, saying "Yes, please send them to Doctor Who, BBC Wales...".

echoplex fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 18, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

True, that place is super pricey.

Did anyone go to the S9 exhibit? They had a bit of Trap Street there with signage from Midsummer's Night Dream still attached to it because I used stupidly strong tape that tears the plaster off if you remove it.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

nine-gear crow posted:

Finally got around to watching the premiere online. Good episode. I enjoyed it. I'm onboard for one last ride with Capaldi's crazy rock and roll magician.

I'm disappointed that the rest of Dalek scene from Pearl Mackie's character reveal video didn't make it into the episode. I know it would have dragged the scene both too long and away from the focus on the real threat, but there was some goddamn great lines in it that I'm sad we lost in the actual episode.

I kinda choked up a bit at the end when the Doctor's waffling on wiping Bill's mind and Clara's theme kicked in. I really hope Jenna Coleman comes back for Capaldi's regeneration scene like Karen Gillan did for Matt Smith's. I just wanna see Clara and Twelve insult one another one last time before the end :(

I'm pretty sure the full scene was in the first few draughts of the script. The final edit cut a lot of stuff, from memory, which has made it a very lean and well-paced episode.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Every time they really make use of that set, it's fabulous.

I've noticed a lot of people (Americans) complaining about not being able to understand Bill, which is a bit surprising?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I posted the 60 seconds of them going in from the office to the end of that GIF on my Twitter earlier, I really do think those scenes show off the best of what DW is capable of. All the sets are beautiful (of course), but the directing, writing, camera, sound (lovely ambient noise in there) AND costume (notice the change of coat) are all superb, and Peter and Pearl just nail it (particularly Peter saying nothing at all, that's the best Capaldi). It's so nice when a show pulls something like that off, you can read so many promising scripts and for whatever myriad reason it doesn't come together... this scene really worked.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 21, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it me or was the text above the map of the spaceship in the Star Trek font?

Kinda - Swiss Ultra Condensed which (or variant ofs) appears a lot in sci-fi before Eurostile did - when narrow was more chic than wide. The map drawing is strongly influenced by Sternbach's drawings, though, which is fine, because he's awesome.

After I left the show they asked me to redraw some of the map for a pickup shot as "Pod Cluster" was reading as "Poo cluster", which wasn't the worst mistake I made that episode, but I'll save that till the end of the series.

Initially pitched - and pushed really hard for - black emoji faces as per my concept below, as I thought yellow would be too on the nose.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Yeah, the shooting crew got to go to Spain, we got to go to a grotty old Welsh power station, which I actually prefer.

Carbon dioxide posted:

... Hey wait, in the episode they made a big deal about the empty area around the engine.

That came in a later draft of the script, I think, after the map had been sent to print. I'd been at the booze a bit last night but it looked like they did a closeup shot which may have been a CG insert where they deleted some elements to make it look emptier.

Not looking at DW in particular (although I am) but the worst part about this role in production are the frequent last second changes where the producers assume all you have to do is press buttan/make graphic in 30 seconds, rather than it needing a week of ordering, testing, delivery, etc... I have deep and special relationships with a couple of print companies who are often doing midnight handovers for me that go on set at 6am.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 23, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wheezle posted:

I like Bill, but I hope they're not going to keep on with this "she asks weird questions that wouldn't occur to anyone else" schtick. It feels incredibly forced.

She's the voice of this thread.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Elite posted:

I thought Bill's questions were fine. "Are there seatbelts?" "Why can't you reach the console from the seats?" are silly goofy questions in a soft sci-fi series, but well they're kind of legitimate practical questions too so they worked for me.

The jump seats in there are cool but PHENOMENALLY uncomfortable. Their shape is otherworldly engineered to be the exact shape that will require a month of osteopath's visits if you dare sit in them.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Our sets look amazing!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
But that "warning" graphic was post and not one of mine, christ.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think you can really see a new lease of life in Peter, because he feeds off Pearl so well. Gutting there's only going to be 1 series of them together.

For the most part I never read the cast lists, so seeing who's in what is either a surprise when I go to the floor or when I see the final episode. I had no idea Nathan Barley was in this.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

BSam posted:

Is that you getting a shoutout at the end echoplex? if so that's pretty cool.

Yeah. Was amused by them using my twitter page featuring the Starbug interior and dogs, which feels like an accurate summation of my life.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Frost Fair of 1814 (yes it was real):

The bridge at the start of the ep was actually a recreation of a bridge over the Thames that no longer exists, and there's only a few etchings of it in existence. We had to dial it back a bit/lot (the section we made is about 1/3rd scale and not as curved), but, still. Our Production Designer knows everything about architecture past. He has books he gives us for reference which are legit 1850s first editions with architectural drawings to copy. A lot didn't make the edit, but we did recreate a lot of stuff from the real Frost Fair - gingerbread wrapping, the souvenir mugs, the commemorative prints etc.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Please, no.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Honestly, I thought John Hurt would just never die.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Aardark posted:

Did their budget get cut? It's all dimly lit rooms.

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure if you're serious (it's an old and lovely house at night, of course it's all dimly lit), I wouldn't be surprised if this was something of a bottle episode. Not for all departments--it had a fairly large 'active cast' compared to everything else so far--but I wouldn't be surprised if it was sort of a break for the set designers so they could focus their energies on some of the more elaborate settings for this season.

Exactly. Did you not see the last episode or something, yeah? I'm not going to tell you how many tens of thousands the London sets cost but it was a significant number

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

BSam posted:

Curious echoplex, in an episode without much in the way of screens and monitors, or signs and that, did you guys do much?

maybe signs in the estate agents and that, or the paintings of whassername, and that kind of thing?

I've been doing twitter roundups of episode graphics after every ep, I really struggled finding anything to post on this one. There was stuff like researching and recreating period contracts, doing up the estate agents as you said, phone apps (none of which get seen but we do make interactive apps for every scripted phone sequence), and then minor stuff like the door numbers on the rooms etc. The painting of the mother was mixed duty - we re-arranged the Doctor's Office set for the backdrop - I shot and lit it (which is weird how that always comes down to the graphics guy) and then the concept artist painted over in photoshop.

TV shows are shot in 'blocks' of eps and on DW we usually did 2 eps per block, so this was 'twinned' with Thin Ice in terms of workload, and right after this one we shot the Xmas ep that went out last year. Both of these were super-intensive episodes in every way so Knock Knock was kind of a 'breather' episode - it was mostly on location except the tower room and didn't require too many graphics. Xmas looked fairly contemporary but it was a huge amount of work.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
They at least show a bit of Bill searching for the news on the monster at the end of E3, so that's nice. There's a number of reasons for doing them for real, not least that we can set the sequence as a loop so the actor can just tap their way through it for each take rather than needing the props guys to reset it. We made a camera app for 2 to disguise the phone's OS (as we're BBC) which was a real ballache and not in the edit.

This is a new addition for S10, on S9 I was just knocking out JPGs so there's a scene in the Zygon ep where Osgood "types" a text message and the picture viewer menu is visible for a split second :negative:

Cleretic posted:

I do want to say it wasn't until you started posting stuff like this that I really appreciated the effort that went into stuff around set design for Doctor Who. Future and alien stuff I could tell was some real work, but I never thought about how much effort goes into recreating a time period based largely on contemporary art, or mocking up believable modern-day background details.

I've been trying to promote the heck out my work on the last 2 series because a) not much is made of the art dept work beyond concept art*, and b) graphics specifically is doing so much more work than 5-10 years ago, so it's kind of a case of trying to raise the profile of what goes on day to day to make TV happen. I've been doing this for years and even I'm amazed that DW actually happens, because we do it so quickly and usually from scratch. Back in the mid-90s, Graphics was using Letraset and handworking things. Doing video screens, phones, printed carpets + walls, perspex, laser cut and CNC'd signs etc just wasn't part of it. I've religiously photographed all the sets I've worked on, because stuff that doesn't make the edit can just disappear forever.

*Not that I have any beef with concept artists at all, super envious of their talents. But I've noticed over the last few years a lot of "Making Of" or "Art Of" books are full of digital paintings and very little in the way of props, actual sets or graphics, which is a shame. I don't know if it's because the digital assets are easy to get hold of vs photographing items etc, but there's plenty of design decisions involved beyond the concept art, and lots of stories there too.

As for being open about stuff - this definitely isn't secret information, it's just not promoted. It's sad they don't do Confidential any more - even a one-episode round up for each series would be neat. I noticed that the BBC galleries sometimes post mine/the concept artist's work, but crop off our names from the drawing stamp.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 8, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

hanales posted:

Sure I was just wondering if it was cheaper to hire a code wonk or a cgi wonk, since that's not a huge project on that side either.

I have A Guy who has been my go-to for involved motion graphics or APK-based apps for a couple of years (DW, Red Dwarf, etc). All the design side stuff comes from me, who is paid for in the show budget, and then he does the coding as a supplier with a day rate. Way way cheaper than handing it to the post department (mostly), as then facilities + people are booked up. I don't know because I've never asked but I would assume the show budgets a set amount of post per episode, in terms of man hours and workflow, so the art dept interfering with that is presumably frowned upon.

It doesn't cost much to comp a phone screen in, true, but the stby art directors/actual episode directors/DPs etc tend to like to have real screens generating real light/interactivity, and generally it's better to have something real on screen if not just for the actor to interact/thumb to.

edit: here's the phone sequence flow from Ep 3 - most of which was unseen. I design the layouts in AI, and send it with annotations to my animator. Usually no more than a day my end and a day his end.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 8, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wheat Loaf posted:

How much does an average episode of Doctor Who typically cost to produce? I've heard £800,000 but that seems low to me (maybe I'm overestimating how expensive everything is) and I imagine it must be one of the Beeb's more expensive programmes.

No idea, to be honest. I couldn't even tell you if my specific budget was about right because whether you have £10 or £100m it always feels like it's 10% less than you actually need...

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Red is Dead posted:

Echoplex, ever thought of releasing a coffee table style book out of your set photos?

I would buy the ever loving poo poo out of something like that.

I am fascinated by "makings of" or behind the scenes stuff, and love reading your posts here after each episode.

Not sure a commercial venture like that would go down well with Auntie, so it'd be restricted to blogs I suspect, but one day when the dust has settled from various shows I will post bits, yeah.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The most important question: How do you decide what percentage the battery is at in your mock phone screens? I bet people complain if it's too low or too high.

That appears to be one of the rare times I've not left it at 88%, which is a fairly obvious reference < (but it's also a good neutral number; realistic use, no suggested peril). For the times on the phone - most shows these days put time of day per scene in the scripts because of how ubiquitous phones/computers in action are these days. Not that you ever see the time, really. Please don't check if you do, anyway.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

Marty! We've got to do something about the Fuhrer!

Almost worth the inevitable tabloid backlash for that.

It's amazing, really, I knew about the radio connotations and some of it's interesting mathematical properties but had never tagged the other connection. Luckily that's one reference that's never been seen. (others have not escaped detection)

echoplex fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 9, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

AndyElusive posted:

God I hope nobody involved with Doctor Who reads the Facebook comments on anything they ever post on there. Just the fuckin worst goddamn fans next to the ones for Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

I actively avoid anything DW-y on the internet for the most part, but I did stumble onto Mike Mignola's facebook after the Hellboy news (which I have no opinion on), and the poo poo they were giving him in the most high and mighty fashion was just hilarious, the overriding comment being "disrespecting us fans". The entitlement of nerd culture these days is truly shocking.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Also was the Ganymede mining company a red dwarf reference

I dunno, but Den of Geek saw that and the use of Eurostile in the graphics and sent me an email about it those both being RD homages, then made an article out of my half-guessed ramblings, which is slightly amusing:

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/doctor-who/49433/doctor-who-series-10-the-hidden-roots-of-its-graphic-design

This is the ep I left on to do another show. The other show is not very good, and now I wish I'd stayed on for a few more Whos. :(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Matt Lucas is actually a really solid actor (he was ace in Midsummer Night's Dream which we shot on the Trap Street set), so I'm quite enjoying the odd little flashes of actual acting. Suicide by pills seemed much darker than anything in S9!

The dialogue in the last few eps has been really superb, and Peter is on fire. Such a shame he's going, but I've quite enjoyed the condensed companion experience over the last few episodes. I hope there are much bigger things in Pearl's future, she really makes some of those lines fly.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

Echoplex, did you say you'd left the show at this point?

Yeah, I had a few remnants in the Space Station ep but that was it. I'm in this as an outsider now!

Plavski posted:

Gotta say that the lab UI was a bit on the wonky side too. It looked more Wargames than Windows.

My assistant who stayed on (who is awesome) told me that from space station onwards they were outsourcing the video graphics to a pro company (who I was also using on the other job, we all use them) so they were probably working from templates they already have. I always tried to keep it in house (bit of a control freak), but I noticed that the Ganymede ones had so much more detail than I'd ever have had the time to generate, so maybe in the future I need to let go a little.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Timby posted:

Far earlier in the thread, I'm positive that echoplex himself said that Mackie was perfectly kind.

Yeah, I never saw her be anything less than entirely lovely - not in a polite reserved way, but actually talking to everyone like she was part of the crew and not the talent. We had a long talk about how amazingly furnished the Knock Knock house was, and I struggle to believe she turned into a diva ~8 episodes later.*

Peter is by no means less nice, but when he's Doctoring he tends to be very focused and like his peace and quiet between takes. Pearl would chat to everyone.

I've seen some horrendous poo poo levelled at her in places like Daily Mail comments when she was first photo'd on location. Very specific stuff comparing her negatively to "English rose" Jenna - you know exactly what that means. I'm so pleased the fans - and everyone else - has taken to her. gently caress those dickheads.

Ms Boods posted:

If you ever get a chance to see him on stage, do so; Don Juan in Soho was a cracker.

I saw that on Friday and really didn't enjoy it - not sure what I was expecting.

Tennant came into the DW offices on my shift for a bit as he was originally involved with Midsummer which was a shared crew. I've never seen so many TV professionals so star struck by a man; he was really loved there.

*unless I bring out the worst in people

echoplex fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jun 2, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really dig the tattered blue coat Capaldi wore in the last episode. The costuming for this season has been excellent.

Hayley and Zoe are really, really on the ball. Young and hungry to create amazing work. The volume of stuff they've done over the last few episodes is mind bending. It was hard in the art dept; I don't know how they managed.

Really strong Half Life 2 vibes from this which makes me really wish I'd done it, as I'm pretty sure our 71 year old designer has never played it, and would have been great to really run with that.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Vinylshadow posted:

Ten minutes in GMOD with what limited models I could scrounge up

Honestly surprised there was a 12th Doctor model, albeit without faceposing, otherwise I'd have given him his delightful grin

God, don't tease me with what could be.

edit: Barney is the Doctor really. See ya when I see ya! *vworp*

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Oh christ, that was the original voice actress for Alpha Centauri too!

Not knowing who that is, but it sounded like Zelda from Terrahawks.

He said the same thing on the radio on Tuesday, and then finished off with "after this I'm going back to do another draft of the christmas episode". It begins shooting next week. Moffat. Moffat never changes.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

SiKboy posted:

How hard can it possibly be to get fake rocks that arent obviously fake? Because that was some big grey polystyrene bullshit right there. Apart from that episode was pretty okay. And took me a minute to recognise "tell that to kanjiklub" as one of the romans.

Somewhere between 'really hard' and 'not possible' hard.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think the dialogue this series has been superb. I wasn't crazy about the comic interjections in a way, but they were really well done. I'm very excited about Simm, Capaldi and Gomez together, the talent is RIDICULOUS.

NarkyBark posted:

Already been said 100 times but both major reveals in this episode should've remained hidden until airing. I imagine the thread would've gone nuts like it did for Night of the Doctor.

I suspect a lot of the stuff getting out as it has done, is damage control from production. There was definitely Commotion in the office the day they officially announced Jenna was leaving, so I can only assume it got out somehow and they were trying to avoid being beaten to the punch.

I do feel bad for production from that point of view. It's so hard to make anything in isolation these days. People will leak whatever they can for internet points, it's such a shame. The guy who posts second/third hand production rumours on here, I don't really get it. He's had a hit rate of about 50% which tells me his source is at least once removed, but I don't get the value in being the guy who Might Have Been A Bit Right About Doctor Who 5 Weeks Before Most People Knew About it.

It's funny how it's different for different shows, though; RD XII was filmed in front of a live audience 18 months ago and no-one has leaked anything out about that - because it's not as popular as it used to be - and I've been on Black Mirror 4 for 6 months and not even seen a whisper of a hint of a rumour online, because Netflix is Very Scary and will murder everyone you love.

Maera Sior posted:

Any chance of an explanation? Rock sets have always bothered me as well.

Well I think they key thing to remember that even in a year's worth of production you only really ever have a couple of weeks to make anything. (The big exception this year was Pickwoad's Bloody Large Bridge). As with most TV shows, everything is divided into blocks of episodes, and you'll get the next set of scripts amid shooting whatever you're currently doing, so:

- Draft script arrives ~6 weeks before you shoot it (and that's being generous with DW)
- Director arrives in the office at around the same time
- Scripts are broken down and preliminary designs/costings are worked out (while working on the actual episodes filming downstairs)
- Costings are stamped to death by production
- New drafts of script arrive based on director requests, unfinished plots (*cough*), budget requirements
- Restart above process
- Locations start to be found at ~4 weeks
- Final designs are drawn up for sets based on said locations or budgets (after waiting on various approvals), this takes us to ~3 weeks.
- Technical issues (if any) are worked out - how do we do x, what new materials to we invest into to achieve y, etc.
- Construction starts on 5-day week basis
- Allot ~3-5 days in that for Things To Go Wrong, Things Not To Arrive, or Director / Producer / Production To Decide They Want It To Look Different etc,.

What that really means is that you get about 10-12 full working days to make a massive stonehenge set, and you can't chuck shitloads of people at it because people cost quite a bit of money. Had everything been approved, say, 6 weeks in advance you'd get a much more convincing style of rock, maybe more convincingly worked into the scenery and engraved etc. If it was a studio set then you can do tests under controlled lighting to make it look more convincing. If you're outdoors there's only so much you can do... Our caves and rocks and poo poo looked a lot better on Atlantis, but I remember we had about 2 months of construction prep time and a full team working on them. Cave sets really take a lot.* Our henge was poly-carved, but we've done caves as sprayed polyuretheane, plaster, foam etc. There's a lot of ways to approach the making of a cave, I could talk about it a lot.

Shows evolve their own eco-system in terms of timings and how departments worked. If we had more lead time, that would mean bringing on Directors, script editors, locations etc sooner, which has a cost of X per week per person, so there would be less money to go around, so the result would look less good because of the budget cuts. They're self-levelling I suppose, once the machine starts it works how it works and you can't really change it. On a feature film you spend 18 months making 2.5hs of final product. On DW you spend 8 months making 13 hours of product.

Important to note that this + the Mars caves were much, MUCH better than the Zygon egg cave which was actually the Viking Great Hall from the ep previous sprayed brown with loads of foam and brown sheeting.

Jerusalem posted:

This was a visually stunning episode in addition to being well written and acted.

Suffered from the usual Clunky Spaceship Desks which is standard DW, because carpentry is difficult and expensive, but otherwise, oosh, very nice looking episode. The whole series has been really pretty, even with much loftier ambitions than S9. Is it me or has the CG really gone up a notch too? All of Hayley's costumes for Bill this series have been cracking, too. Interested to see what the new design team do but I think we did really well on 10. I'll really, really miss it - I gave two years of my life to that show (and roughly 120 hours spent on the M4), and it's done me so well. Met some really thunderously good human beings, I helped get two people's careers moving on it, and it taught me to do so many things I couldn't do (at gunpoint).

*which is why I think we did period better than future a lot of the time. When you go period, you use a lot of natural materials and props that have texture, patina etc built in, and you can exaggerate it from effect. When you do a spaceship, you are starting from a blank MDF canvass so you have much more to do within the same amount of time/money.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 26, 2017

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Pearl's "no poo poo" made me laff.

I hope there are big things in her future, she's ace.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Was the teardrop on the rim supposed to match up with the teardrop on the eye of the current cybermen? (sorry if this is a phenomenally obvious question, I don't know my cybamans)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dongicus posted:

this is the least poo poo doctor who has been in years but thats mostly down to the performances

Yeah, Peter doing Smith's body language doing "When the Doctor was me" got me a bit, and I'm still not really a DW fan.

Carbon dioxide posted:

What surprised me is that in very recent interviews, such as in that latest fan show, Moffat admitted that last week saturday, they weren't even done filming yesterday's episode.

Is Doctor Who filming always this hectic and chaotic?

Yes, but there's a specific reason for it being that extreme which I'm sure will be clear around xmas.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

I'm pretty sure he's already got one. Or two.

Everything goes into storage. Jenna got a few of my TARDIS signs when she left but generally speaking if you leave anything unattended for 30 seconds it gets transported into the Experience and you have to fill out Brazil-level paperwork to get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Fil5000 posted:

Oh, I was meaning ones from old Who. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Capaldi has the old auxiliary control room instead of a living room, and that McCoy's tardis set is his kitchen.

He's a bit... slammy with buttons and poo poo, so they'd probably be MDF dust by now.

• Locked thread