Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Liked the episode. Felt intentionally like a cheesy horror movie, like some of the better who's.

I kind of suspect the restoration of Bill's friends was added later, but everyone standing around making bad quips at the end helped it feel even more b-movie.

I wasn't going to watch this season, but I caught the first episode and was too charmed by Bill not to watch the rest, it's a good season with some much needed simplicity so far. Actually, at this point I wish Bill could stick around a little longer, but oh well, if they kept her then something would happen to her like what happened to other companions who stuck too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
That episode makes no sense whatsoever if you think about it at all - like the number thing is too easy a tell, you'd have to simulate a universe WITH the doctor's time travel since it took the end of Oxygen into account when they just want to conquer Earth... there's a lot of logical things wrong.
Don't care. It had proper storytelling and was fun to watch and did not poo poo itself trying to be clever. I'm enjoying this season a lot more than the last two for the characterization alone.

I will note that it's kind of odd this season that the Doctor actually mentions religion in a disparaging manner this episode, and mentions meeting Jesus previously. I'm not sure we've had that before. Between that and Bill being a well-written black lesbian whose identity is actually well-represented and having an anti-capitalism episode this feels like a really far left season, considerably more so than say, last seasons zysis episodes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I'd like to remark that I wish that the extremis aliens were more RTD and did have to be serious boring mummies.

With all the video game references they could've made them horrible alien gamerbros or creepy nerds. Yes a little of the tone would be sacrificed but again the mummies are so loving boring.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The aliens supposedly have simulated humans for all their history and yet think that to be loved they should look like spooky corpses and kill people who are trying to go along with you for no good reason and not explain what you actually want from them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Bill is a normal person and she hasn't seen the Doctor pull of miracles or know about regeneration or anything yet. She's fine.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

I'm listening while typing code just because IT'S BEEN TAKEN DOWN THREE TIMES TODAY
Only the first like half hour, less maybe, is mentioning Who

I think he gets some things wrong about the show. I think he skipped over a lot of Watson's story that I don't remember. And the boomerang thing isn't as dumb as he thinks it is.

And just because the original stories were not a continuous narrative does not mean that doing Sherlock as a serialized storyline is a bad idea.

He does bring up some good points, though. Especially about over-serialized storylines. And Irene's rewritten story being terrible. And Moffat being kind of up his own rear end at times.

man, season 4 sounds bad though.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, I disagree with bits of it. The original Sherlock Holmes stories generally aren't fair-play mysteries and it seems strange to mark the show down for it given that.

It's one of the biggest criticisms constantly leveled at the short stories, really.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Someone posted it on the internet that means it's true and worth sharing

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
uploading dead people to a torture world to scam them into being a robot army seems pretty bad imo

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
haven't the other doctors mostly stuck to one outfit except for special occasions? like 11 and 10 each had one suit each, or did i just not pay much attention to their clothes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Only thing I liked
is that Bill's imaginary mom ex machina is so much better than clara's LEAF!!! ex machina

Yeah, I think Bill's still great.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Yknow up until the three parter, I felt the series had a strong leftist bent, and it wasn't just me, but the three parter doesn't fit that at all. They mention fake news and the Doctor makes fun of religion but still.

And again, the Doctor himself was part of that fake news and spread propaganda, which I felt like the Doctor should not have done but apparently he can be responsible for death and misery if it results in a REALLY CLEVER TWIST SCENE. And it was his fault, remember: If you don't do what the doctor says, you're farm animal stupid! And he told you to turn your friends and family in!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I think socially liberal media can be questioned but if basically open by using "tumblr" to mean "someone on my show isn't a white male!!!!!" you can gently caress right off.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Every woman I have talked to has listed Tennant as their favorite, with maybe Eccleston as their second favorite. One or two actively disliked Smith (for having no eyebrows, or for sexualizing the Tardis - though I'd blame Moffat for that).

It's not that many but still.

I kind of am not sure of the point of changing the gender or race of the doctor beyond giving a more diverse list of actors that position. The doctor is an alien who did not come from any human culture, and does not represent something a person can be, storywise at least. Maybe that could be solved if they do more with the concept of the people he meets being inspirations for his new forms, more than the Roman who became 13's face, but that's not really the same as becoming the Doctor. I don't know.
At the end of the day it would be a nice gesture, and it might be more possible if they have their tennant 2 for a while, but idk.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, he was involved with the new Star Trek?

WAIT, there's a new Star Trek!?!

There was supposed to be one but he hosed it up and someone else gets to make it. Saw it discussed in more depth elsewhere, will link when I find it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
so finally got around to the new episode.
I don't see why a few minutes where Bill mentions she doesn't like girls in a reasonable context is even mentionable when there's the episode has that stupid sideplot about why crows say CAW. The gently caress was that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there's three
two parter intro and boom town
boom town get really, really good after the fart and poop jokes stop. "Only a killer would know that."

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Bill's not going to stay cyber'd, and then she'll go on a universe spanning adventure with the talking puddle

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Vinylshadow posted:

Burning that much regeneration energy is gonna screw over a future incarnation, which will probably lead to a short regeneration followed by an abrupt renewal

Twelve hasn't been thinking of his future all that much

I've been hoping for a hosed regeneration. They've hinted enough, lets see it happen.

"LEGS! I DON'T HAVE LEGS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So this is the first time when a regeneration feels like it's a solid loss.
The spaceship is properly hosed (Though how DO the cybermen keep multiplying if they've already gotten everyone on their floors), and they left two characters there.

E: and a third party rescued his companion and gave her her ending.

• Locked thread