Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Solid, but I felt the pace was a bit off- very slow beginning then a bunch of running around without much explaining of things. Still it works as a restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So far Class is not that great.

Also I feel like maybe we've had too many monsters lately that are just smoke/water/shadows/etc. I get that it can be much creepier than someone in fake looking latex but they've maybe gone to this well too many times.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 16, 2017

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
If anything the Doctor deleting their routine is freeing them. The directive to serve the humans was what had to be purged- he had to reset them in order for them to no longer be slaves.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I can easily imagine that "don't murder the humans" wasn't even a consideration because they were designed to perform a limited set of tasks, but they end up being able to go outside that and oops.

Something to put in the next patch.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do feel like Moffat has relied too often on the Doctor being able to travel to a specific place and time so as to resolve whatever twisty nonlinear story is going on, so it'd be a nice change for the TARDIS to just not be able to be guided for a bit.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
drat BBC America didn't even put the end credits for DW in a sidebar. Just jumped right into Class. Someone call Equity!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Pearl Mackie's doing a bang up job. Bill isn't that far off from the average NuWho companion but somehow she stands out.

(Also met Catherine Tate at Planet Comicon today and she is super nice. Had hugs for everyone!)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nathan Barley's point about coal mines was a good one which was skimmed over because he's the baddy

It's basically a parallel. The theme of the episode is that "innocent people are ground up by an uncaring machine to keep The Economy going", and the underwater monster is just one manifestation of that. That it's not necessarily worse than the mines (you'd have to get into some unpleasant calculus of how many die in each to produce how much of whatever) isn't really a defense.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Liked that episode a lot. Felt like a slasher movie a bit, but I am glad the kids will still be around.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

hanales posted:

I've enjoyed all 4 episodes so far. Really looking forward to next week's space adventure.

As I'm not in tune as the rest of you, are they going to need another ridiculous reason for him to be able to regenerate this season or have they resolved that already?

Also Matt Smith best doctor fightmeirl.

It's a new cycle.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I will say that "spacesuit zombies" are getting to be a bit old hat- the actual idea behind this one is good but the show's done this at least once a season and it doesn't help that the monster in Pilot was another "it looks like someone you know but it's just using her body!" deal.

Other than that, good episode. I like that they never blunted the "capitalism will kill you if there's money to be made from it" theme.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The one issue I have with the blindness thing is- surely disability law would require that a lab not have a combination lock that ONLY works visually. ATMs all have to have Braille, after all.

Of course you could still have the Doctor not having bothered with Braille because of his specs seeing for him, but the point is, that's a lawsuit from a blind biologist waiting to happen.

Not like a major flaw but whatever.

Anyway, I'm getting kinda pissed at how BBC America is handling this show. The last few episodes have had sort of cliffhangery endings, and each time it hasn't really registered for me right away that the episode is over because of that loving "And now with no fanfare, Class" transition. There needs to be SOME kind of vaguely outro-ish thing. Honestly it's made me more resolved than ever to ignore Class completely.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I liked having a fairly straightforward runaround with weird monsters on an alien planet for once. The visuals were fun and it had a nice classic Who atmosphere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Anyway, holy poo poo that was great. It would have been even better if JOHN SIMM IS COMING BACK AS THE MASTER hadn't been all over the place for like a year, but such is the reality of television promotion I guess.

BBC America did us one better(worse). I saw the Cybermen reveal coming but they did one of those stupid "coming up" previews where they spoil the Mondas reveal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Bill shouldn't die because we've barely gotten to know her and she's a good character who probably has a lot more stories in her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I thought this was ultimately quite a satisfying finale. I feel like the effect has been spoiled somewhat via having to DVR everything and race through commercial breaks (and BBC America not letting the episodes end properly because AN ALL NEW CLASS / ORPHAN BLACK STARTS RIGHT NOW) so I'll have to revisit it, but yeah, it was a good epic ending.

That said, one season for Bill was really not enough.

• Locked thread