Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It can't be your favourite book yet if you didn't know that! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CobiWann posted:

An English version of Get Out?

Kindly Depart or Sod Off, depending on where it's set.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elite posted:

Yeah I thought that episode was pretty good. Seems borderline impossible to summarize it without sounding ridiculous though. "Man uses his magical space box to run away from a space puddle".

Bill won me over pretty fast too. With other recent companions it seemed like they expended a lot of effort showing how special + valuable + competent they were, so having someone (thus far) normal is a nice change of pace and just generally I thought Bill and The Doctor had a fun dynamic.

Going back to this, the impression I got wasn't that they were trying to make him cool but more showing how he didn't really give a gently caress, so he just holds rock concerts for himself. I guess people will have different reads on it though.

Not giving a gently caress about what other people think when you do stuff you think is cool, often comes across to observers as, in fact, cool.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the Ood are a unique enough design that they could/should be revisited and reused.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Aside from the Ood and Angels, aren't the only other villains who appear more than once worth mentioning in the revival basically the Silence, and they had less decent follow up than the Angels did. The Monster/bad guy is so forgettable a lot of the time in revival Who. And that wasn't even intended as a play upon my mention of the silence.

That aside, did the Ood ever really have any decent eps? The Satan Pit I guess?

The one with Donna where they free the Ood from slavery was pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

My take is that the vault is empty, but the Doctor is bigging it up to make it as tempting to break into as possible.

I assume to goad the Master/Missy in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the whole TARDIS intro scene was actually very well done, first with the misdirect where you think it IS just a police box for some reason, and then the pull out, and then Bill's misunderstanding, and I actually liked the payoff of the 'bigger on the inside' bit with Nardole being pleased they got to that point. (Matt Lucas is playing the humour much more understated now he's a regular and it works very well)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also so happy that the first we see of Twelve this year is him in his hoodie, shades and with his guitar.

I've turned a corner on Clara's Theme as well, I really like how distinctive it is, because it lets them bring her in without having the dialogue be too heavy-handed. The bit with Bill turning the mind-wipe around on the Doctor and then the few notes from that piece playing on the score and Capaldi's face do all the work.

If this is them doing Shada, that's absurd and also, what the 5th version of it now?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tiny thing that stood out and plays possibly into the idea that the Doctor that takes Bill with him is from much later in his personal timeline, is that she notes his last lecture was about poetry instead of physics, and he tries to tell Bill, Susan, River and the TARDIS that he can't leave because he 'has promises to keep', which is very specific wording, considering anyone with a passing interest in poetry would likely think of the Robert Frost poem. That certainly could be hinting at the Tenth Doctor-style last hurrah idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I wouldn't call him essential but yeah, he wasn't the worst thing ever. I mean, it's not like he's Martha Jones.

Well, you know what those Rutans are like...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

I can't stop laughing at this. It's almost like they are mocking Eccleston's voice.

I'm not too familiar with their non-fully voice acted ranges, but it seems to me it would have been better to do it more like a straight reading than putting on voices to quite that depth.

A friend of mine has suggested, based on Briggs redubbing the Daleks in the Day of the Daleks re-release, that they should re-release 9's season with Briggs dubbing over all of Eccleston's lines.

I think Briggs is just good enough a mimic that you get the uncanny valley-esque sense of it being not quite right when it's not supposed to be a parody. Some of the others escape that by either being better at the voices, or just bad enough that you can accept that this is how it sounds when, say, Nicola does Colin's voice, or Lisa Bowerman does Sylvester.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

10th Doctor: Ah well, dogs. That's different....

Welllll, I say 'different', more like people are more forgiving, but wook at that tin muzzle! Alons-y!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yo, Who-goons, it was my birthday recently, and a friend was kind enough to get me the core book for the Doctor Who pen-and-paper RPG. Was wondering if any of my fellow massive nerds on this here dying comedy forum has played/run it and what they think?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It actually might work fairly well for my gaming group, considering how skittish a lot of them get regarding fighting big things (they once spent over an hour trying to negotiate with a nerfed Beholder rather than risk fighting)
And having a look at it, I kind of like those things. When you break it right down, outside of damage dice, 5e D&D is pretty much only as complicated. Everything there is "roll a d20, add your stat/skill bonus" and sometimes you might roll twice and take the higher/lower. It does feel like they took FATE and tweaked it just enough that no-one would ask why it's not just a setting book for FATE, though.

It's a marked contrast to the last RPG book I got myself (one of the current Star Wars ones) which is interesting, but also blatantly designed to make it annoying to play with regular dice so you buy the specially marked ones the publisher sells.

Edit: Heh, I actually went out and got the 7th Doctor book myself the day after I got the gift cuz Sylvester's my boy, and I really like how they have all the serials as their own little adventures that you could even run for a group if they didn't know the story, plus follow-up ideas (I really like the idea of the planet from The Happiness Patrol going emo, actually)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 30, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jivjov posted:

I won't derail this thread too far...but I am absolutely in love with the Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPG. The funny dice, while yes are a separate purchase, are such an integral part of the game's experience. Having the three axis success/fail, threat/advantage, triumph/despair setup is SO much nicer than binary "win/lose"

It's one of those things where those concepts are nice, but that, plus the multiple 'core' books feel very, very cynical and marketing/revenue driven. And as you say, it very much depends on the group. My group get nervous even playing Pathfinder over 5e because of the crunchier rules, but had a ball when I ran Atomic Robo (which uses FATE) a while back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

cargohills posted:

What dilemma?

Yeah, I'm not getting that either. War and Ten aren't suggesting that they shouldn't have pressed the button, just that killing billions of kids is a big enough price that it should weigh on their mind and conscience enough to matter, and are aghast that Eleven seems to have forgotten that.

Of course, in the end, the solution is that it is actually NOT acceptable, and the three of them (or 13 of them) fix things but that scene isn't about that, as much as if you were about to murder someone and then met yourself from 10 years later and not only do you seem well-adjusted, but you don't even seem to remember the name of your victim. It's the War Doctor worrying that this action breaks him to the point where he's a totally apathetic or amoral monster.

• Locked thread