Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

Bill's great company
Tale was spooky and well told
Puddle love buv all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lampsacus posted:

I watched with a friend who isn't into DW and when it got spooky she's like "o i forgot doctor who is also scary." Which I was also lured into forgetting because Bill was so charming.
Do share your theory on Bills write out btw.

What revival monsters do you all think will be most likely brought back in the future as 'classics'? Face of Bo for sure. His big rubbery mug.

I don't think the showrunners will ignore the Meddling Monk forever. Assuming they don't go with the whole, it was the Master fan explanation, that fella has some reason to be angry at the Doctor.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

He's asking the other way around - what new series characters/monsters will be one day revised as "Classic"

Oh. Never mind.

In that case, I think the Weeping Angels will overcome their somewhat lackluster follow up appearances to be considered true classics, I mean, its not like most of the the Dalek and the Cybermen stories were made of gold.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Aside from the Ood and Angels, aren't the only other villains who appear more than once worth mentioning in the revival basically the Silence, and they had less decent follow up than the Angels did. The Monster/bad guy is so forgettable a lot of the time in revival Who. And that wasn't even intended as a play upon my mention of the silence.

That aside, did the Ood ever really have any decent eps? The Satan Pit I guess?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Davros1 posted:

No one's asking what/who's in the vault the Doctor and Nardole are protecting?

It's a honey trap is my guess. The Doctor co opting the whole pandorica deal for himself. Moffat Who seems to delight especially in building stuff up only to reveal at the last moment that it wasn't really all that important.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

Functionally immortal. I mean, someone else could timewarp her back to the moment of her death and kill her. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

e: Actually this raises an interesting point, she's just living between heartbeats. What happens if she sustains a fatal wound? Does it just not do anything? Does she heal it immediately? Does she die somewhere else and time collapses in on itself? :iiam:

Maybe she a Torchwood style zombie now, like Owen.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There was a run of Doctor Who specifically designed to avoid dimly lit rooms. It does not particularly look like it was well budgeted.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Which was obviously making him uncomfortable for reasons beyond his excuses about how old he looked. Susan is getting more references and nods than can be ignored this season. Also the whole we must survive thing from Old man Oedipus seems like a pretty blatant reference as well.

I though the slasher movie setup was pretty blatant from the start and was surprised everyone survived at the end of it. "Well Bill, it was good meeting your friends. No plans? Well I know a great place and time to get your mind off things." Was probably for the best honestly, don't need the new companion to be totally devastated on all levels this quickly into a season.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 8, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Looks vaguely in the direction of the woman he hears speaking to him. "You're a beautiful woman, probably."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oxygen is expensive.

Hail Skroob!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

If you have an identity which is outside of society's general understanding and prone to being victimized by persecution, it sometimes helps to have terms for that identity, both for personal and community-building reasons.

And because even if you don't, the people who hate you for what you are certainly will.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Missy will hang tight in the Doctor's clutches until exactly one day before her sentence is over and then will escape, just to waste the Doctors time and piss everyone off at him.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hemingway To Go! posted:

haven't the other doctors mostly stuck to one outfit except for special occasions? like 11 and 10 each had one suit each, or did i just not pay much attention to their clothes.

Uniforms pretty much became a thing in the last season of the 4th Doctors run. Worse, it wasn't just the Doctor who got stuck in one outfit all the time, it was pretty much the whole cast.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The problem with Doctor Who as a show, is that the creators want it to be McGuyver, where poo poo resets from episode to episode so that there is a clean playing field, but they also want it to have big huge universe changing events and consequences. So they do both. This means of course that the bigger the stakes and consequences, the more eye rolling the reset is when it inevitably occurs.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 5, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Doctor seemed completely fine leading an armed raid into the Monk's (totally without context, I mean, did they in any way tie the Monk's to Egypt? It just looks cool and that's enough, right?) pyramid and letting his troopers shoot people.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I'm still waiting for an explanation for why they drive around in Egyptian Pyramids.

Edit: Which are referred to as Cathedrals.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 5, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Someone mentioned it earlier but it seems a decent amount of people died during the occupation, and a good deal of them definitely woke from the dream in dissidents prison. Lot to just forget, even putting aside the ruined statues everywhere. But again, the bigger the consequences. the harder and dumber the reset.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I must have missed it but I assume there was some sort of technobabble as to why they couldn't just shoot the guy operating as a broadcaster like they did all the other monks they ran into?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's funny, because Moffat spent an entire season, a really good season even, creating a big giant reset button that erased all the consequences faced by Earth during the RTD years, and now, when we get big dumb RTD style Earth stories, he just makes sure to reset the consequences right away. No fuss, no great explanation, just, eh, nobody remembers.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Murderion posted:

Since the Doctor outsmarts rather than overpowers his opponents, it doesn't matter how much raw power the baddies have, so long as it's "more than you've got, puny earthlings". It's not about providing a bigger challenge, so much as a different one.

Cybermen are still around even though we've been told multiple times that they're straight up crap compared to the Daleks. When written well, they act different, think different and have different weaknesses, being emotion-hating survivalists to the Daleks' omnicidal lunatics. At the very least, the baddie lineup is different window dressing to the Doctor being clever and moral at things.

It's too bad that outside of the audios the last time the Cybermen were written well was in the second Doctor's run.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Astroman posted:

But times change I guess. In the 70s we could have penis shaped aliens in their full glory; now it's an eye on a blurry viewscreen! :v:

I'm pretty sure it was too much for them then as well and that's why they put it into a cape.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The Master does not reform. Any time the Master spends doing good is only for the sake of the laughs they will get when they inevitably return to form.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Well you see Bill has been shown to be a lesbian. And since orientation is 100% completely about genitals, anytime the shows references that in any way then it is about her vagina.

You have almost got it. See, hetero romance is balanced in genitalia representation, Dick and vagina, they cancel each other out. Two of the same on the other hand, simply unacceptable. Genitalia all over the place, it's just untidy.

Complaining about the gay agenda in Doctor Who is so 2005.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 12, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I actually liked season 3 and portions of 4. I'm that guy.

Not really. The mini series that was season 3 ended up pretty decent, and 4 was poo poo, but it did seem to have promise for the first few eps. Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty much all poo poo though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Also, he looks like a lizard.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Something about the way they make the modern show seems to lead to all multi part episodes being kinda bad. I mean, part what I liked about the old show was that each story had time to breath due to the extra run-time serials provided, but in the new show multi part episodes seem to always be big event stories and those always seem to go badly in the new show.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

One thing for certain is that in Doctor Who, a tomb is never actually a tomb.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The only way a Simm Master story can disappoint expectations is by being decent.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Namtab posted:

Quite good even though the bit with the crows was kinda dumb.

I didn't hate the Crow thing, but I hate how they will set something up like the crow thing, pay it off, and then explain pretty much directly to the camera the thing they just paid off as if we hadn't just been watching the whole thing play out over 40 something minutes.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What do you guy's think about Empty Child/The Doctor Dances as an intro? Probably some of the best stuff in the first season, although it is a two parter so you have to get them to buy in at movie length.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Reading that, I don't think that meeting was with the beeb, I think it was just them asking a load of writers to pitch to them. Interesting that Moffat only wanted to write for 8 considering how much of a 5 fan he is.

It's pretty clear now that Moffat wanted to write stories that left a mark on the character, and the best way to do that is with the most recent incarnation. There was likely an understanding on the part of everyone involved that big continuity and character changing stuff was not likely going to be part of stories told about the Doctors who have already had their run. You want to leave your prints on the show, it has to be on the version of the show that has yet to be completely defined.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

About halfway through the episode it clicked for me that this was a multi Master ep and that Razor was the Master in a completely pointless mask, and I loved the episode all the more when it was revealed to be so. Hmm, too early to say, but a good Cyberman story? Say it ain't so!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It should go without saying, but anybody who hasn't seen Life on Mars really needs to get onto it, it's an amazing show.

State of Play too (the British TV series, not the American film).

Ashes to Ashes was good too, though Simm isn't in that.

My brain is still looking for things to complain about regarding the Monk episodes and I realized that as was shown in the last episode of that block, the Monk's were completely vulnerable to small arms fire. Missiles and planes, no dice. Six shooters and AK's, dead Monks. If only the military had thought to just shoot them in the first place.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is one bad story this season. Unfortunately it's the longest story, but dammit the rest was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Now that I think about it. The Doctor has aged like, what several hundred (thousand?) years over the last few regeneration's. Contemporary Earth to the Doctor back in 3's time was the 70's(80's?). So contemporary earth to the Doctor now is actually a long goddamn time from now.

• Locked thread