Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I was a big fan of how they treated Bill and Heather's sexuality. The latter particularly with her feelings of being "alien" and focusing on a "defect" that was just part of who she was and didn't need to be "fixed". She always felt like an outsider whereas Bill is completely confident/at ease with who and what she is.

Edit: Goddammit Big Finish.... :homebrew:

I kind of half disagree. I really like the way they handled the relationship, but they kept reinforcing Billie's sexuality beyond what was necessary. Her first three scenes all had some reference to her liking women. It's like they didn't trust us to recognise flirting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Well that was good too, the ending didn't quite live up to the set-up but I liked it.

As soon as the emojibot started stressing out over its dead mate and flashing the lightbulb I figured they were recognising what grief is and we were going to get a very sombre ending about reconcilliation, understanding a new species and learning to live with your mistakes. I was all ready to start calling this the best episode of Nu Who.

Then the doctor, on discovering a new form of life, immediately erases the memories of an entire species.

What the gently caress?

That is literally the behaviour of a psychopath. Thats the sort of plot the Master would cook up to install himself as high overlord of earth without anybody complaining. That was an evil thing to do.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also that cold open should have been cut entirely because it did a great job of robbing the episode of a lot of mystery.

I forgave it that just for the absurdity of "mom's dead keep smiling. Gran's dead too keep smiling. Keep smiling dad's dead"

Wheezle posted:

I like Bill, but I hope they're not going to keep on with this "she asks weird questions that wouldn't occur to anyone else" schtick. It feels incredibly forced.

Which questions rubbed you the wrong way? Nothing felt especially weird this week.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

The overall design of this season, from bigger picture things like what the Vardi look like and the way the TARDIS is lit, all the way down to tiny details like Bill's outfit and the labels on the machines the Doctor is tinkering with, is pretty great in my opinion. CG Elephant notwithstanding, it feels like people are doing a lot with relatively little resources. I don't know what changed between last season and this one, but it just feels more detailed, filled with the good kind of clutter and kipple that make places feel lived in.

I was weirdly irritated that during the revelation of the magic puddle Bill was wearing a very obviously asymmetrical checkered shirt, but the actual eureka moment came from the badge on her very unremarkable denim jacket.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Astroman posted:

Anybody who wants to drat Capaldi for putting so much of his own personality and hobbies into the role needs to step back a second and remember Sly. The spoons and a lot of his physical comedy were straight out of his act that he dd before the show where he'd stuff ferrets down his trousers and poo poo.

Couldn't he poo poo himself without putting ferrets down his trousers?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The episode was kind of spotty and a bit cliché, but his speech to Bill after the kid got eaten was fantastic. "I'm 2000 years old, and never in my life have I had time for the luxury of outrage" is such a great look at the Doctors character. The hypocrisy of it, even more so.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I find shows about freshers even more annoying than freshers themselves, but I did like the ever-so-slightly-dickhead guy and his terrible flirting.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dabir posted:

Thinking about it, the way the conflict was resolved was a lot like The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, wasn't it.

Except the spoilered episodes didn't end with a mother murdering her son. That was hosed up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TinTower posted:

Speaking of Bill, apparently tumblr fans get really salty when you say that Bill is a lesbian, because of the t-shirt she wore in Smile is more suggestive of her sexuality than, you know, dialogue explicitly saying she's a gay lesbian who's into women… homosexually.

I think the important thing here is how does a t-shirt specify your sexuality more than dialogue?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Forest of the Night would still have been a terrible episode without those lines, it just wouldn't be a contender for worst Doctor Who episode.

There's also a lot of episodes that seem to advocate suicide as a solution. And this episode used a man shooting himself as a punchline to a joke.

I'm not morally against that or anything, but it's awfully dark for a family show that routinely saves the day through the power of love.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, I agree that was really stupid.

The doctor also made an explicit point about GM - even though most GM research is perfectly harmless, and the type that isn't causes financial troubles instead of biological ones.

IF, and that's a big IF, some kind of lab germ ever escaped, it would be from a lab where they do research on bacteria/viruses in order to learn how to beat them with medicine. In almost all of these labs, they use strains of bacteria/viruses that have been made utterly and completely harmless. In the ones where they work with 'live' infectious bacteria, safety protocols are so incredibly strict that even with a mistake similar to what was shown in the episode, everything would easily be contained.

In my opinion, this episode gives the message that biochem research is bad, and in that way suffers from the same problem as that other episode a season or so ago that gave off a terribly wrong message to all viewers.

"We work with really nasty stuff here, so in an emergency we vent everything into the atmosphere"

Also the scientists first response to a lock down is to leave the building. What? How?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I'm still enjoying this a lot, I love the monks' design (even if they are a bit Pyrovile), and I kinda want to see what they really look like since they're using the A Form You Are Comfortable With trope.

I could see the 'GMOs are bad' Message looming over the horizon like some vast, predatory bird, and I'm glad they sidestepped that one in favour of 'you probably shouldn't come to work that hungover'.

The simulation strands effect looked really cool, as did the dusting effect.

The dusting was absolutely brutal in the way the flesh dusted off eeeeeever so slightly before the bones. Genuinely disturbing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Never thought I'd be so happy to see a grown man screeching about Jekyll. I have never seen anything go off the rails so spectacularly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

It was a shame Jekyll ended so poorly, I enjoyed most of it. Hyde had some fun lines, like "Have you ever killed anyone? It's great it's like sex but there's a winner!"

I also liked "I don't know why, but I woke up really wanting to hurt you!"

"No...I have people for that"

So many great lines:
"If it's any consolation I was spying on you from the beginning. There was never any point where I betrayed you".

Then it tried to be all profound with its "love is a psychopath" wankery and I wanted to hit someone.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Has anyone read this book?

:haw:

Oh god I read that when I was 9 or something. It's about devil worship or something? "and do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh it's a fake news metaphor.

E: Not even a metaphor.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 3, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ropes were sometimes too long. If I was being hung and my feet suddenly touched the ground I'd assume the whole court martial and execution was some sort of elaborate prank.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I don't really remember all that much about the Simm master as it was so many years ago when I watched it. What was the conclusion of his arc? Is it possible for him to take off after being prime minister and keep doing Master stuff before turning into MIssy?

He ate a whole roast chicken really quickly.

And I think started eating people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

For people who's GCSE English was a long time ago, the title of the episode "World enough and time" isn't just a snazzy description of the episode, but is also the opening line of the fabulous poem "To His Coy Mistress" which can basically be summarised as "you should totally sleep with me, cos you'll be dead eventually"

quote:

Had we but world enough, and time,
This coyness, Lady, were no crime
We would sit down and think which way
To walk and pass our long love's day.
Thou by the Indian Ganges' side
Shouldst rubies find: I by the tide
Of Humber would complain. I would
Love you ten years before the Flood,
And you should, if you please, refuse
Till the conversion of the Jews.
My vegetable love should grow
Vaster than empires, and more slow;
A hundred years should go to praise
Thine eyes and on thy forehead gaze;
Two hundred to adore each breast,
But thirty thousand to the rest;
An age at least to every part,
And the last age should show your heart.
For, Lady, you deserve this state,
Nor would I love at lower rate.

But at my back I always hear
Time's wingèd chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.
Thy beauty shall no more be found,
Nor, in thy marble vault, shall sound
My echoing song; then worms shall try
That long preserved virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust,
And into ashes all my lust:
The grave's a fine and private place,
But none, I think, do there embrace.

Now therefore, while the youthful hue
Sits on thy skin like morning dew,
And while thy willing soul transpires
At every pore with instant fires,
Now let us sport us while we may,
And now, like amorous birds of prey,
Rather at once our time devour
Than languish in his slow-chapped power.
Let us roll all our strength and all
Our sweetness up into one ball,
And tear our pleasures with rough strife
Through the iron gates of life:
Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run.

• Locked thread