Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's happened a few times that I can think of. Kroll is just a massive wild animal, the ultimate threat in Inferno is a natural disaster, and there is no intelligence at work behind Kill the Moon or The Forest of the Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

The Vashta Nerada were mostly parasites without much intelligence.
I think the resolution to the episode relies on them having some intelligence though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was thoroughly enjoyable and I want to see more.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, straight through as far as we know. UK TV doesn't tend to break up seasons like US TV.

They used to skip weekends for Eurovision though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was good up until the bit where the Doctor mindwiped a species and then sided with the murderdeath city against the last* remnants of the human race.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The murderdeath happened due to a poorly thought out protocol that he just deleted.
Sure, but the humans are still left in a situation where they have a lot of emotional poo poo to deal with and are on the bad side of a massive power imbalance, and the Doctor doesn't just not give a poo poo but is actually more sympathetic to the beings responsible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

They aren't responsible, they didn't write their own programming.
They may not have been ultimately responsible, but they certainly were in a direct sense. By the end it starts to feel a bit iffy, because the Doctor is insisting that they be treated as the rightful inhabitants of the city and offering to negotiate on their behalf.

The more I think about this episode the more I hate the ending.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also that cold open should have been cut entirely because it did a great job of robbing the episode of a lot of mystery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Beast Below's setting is itself a callback to Ark in Space, and this episode had callbacks to both.

E: Also I just remembered that the Doctor suggested the Silurians sleep for roughly another thousand years in the 2-parter, which would have led them to wake up right around / after the human exodus.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/FairfaxSpoilers/status/857225974714253312

E: A followup tweet has the link.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

That was a solid episode of Doctor Who.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Plavski posted:

Also, potential spoilery thoughts: I heard the sound of drumming behind the knocking. I wonder if it's Simm's Master behind the door.
I noticed they only had three knocks, which I'm assuming was very deliberate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I must be in the minority here. I HATE Victorian loving London episodes.

1814 was Regency, not Victorian :spergin:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

This is a pretty strong season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

One interesting bit was this:

James Mathieson posted:

I made the Doctor blind but cured him by episode's end. Moffat took it and ran with it... For how long? I have no idea....

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I didn't say the pipes in my bedroom, I said the pope's in my bedroom.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The medicine thing felt like a few (loving terrible) lines that could have been deleted from the script without changing much. I don't know how you fix the Zygon story without starting from scratch.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And Extremis it was pretty mediocre at best

The best bit was the Pope joke, and that was great :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Actually, this is the sister trope to 'it was all a dream', the 'it was all a lie'. The main effective difference is a variable quality level; the dream trope almost always means the whole story was useless but provides an interesting stage for things, while the lie trope could, depending on execution, either be a worthwhile and interesting addition or actively a waste of your time. Compare Last Christmas (dream, but interesting) to Time Heist (lie, kinda bullshit) and Heaven Sent (lie, really good).

We'll see which one this was later, but it seems like it might actually be impactful on the story.
And Turn Left, where almost nothing in the episode actually "happened" but which was still an interesting story and still affected how the audience viewed Donna.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He routed it through the same thing that handles all the phone calls people make across time and space.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Season 6 barely reused any antogonists didn't it?

efb

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In the Mark of the Rani he also says ""Come, come, the whole universe knows I'm indestructible! " when asked how he survived in the Planet of Fire.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Maybe the Doctor ends up putting them in their own simulation and they "win" and rule the world with an iron fist while never actually threatening reality whatsoever? I think that would be neat if maybe a little obvious.

It's more or less what they did to Moriarty on Star Trek.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Douglas the Idiot looked familiar but it wasn't until I looked it up that I found out he was Dan Miller from The Thick of It.

The episode had far too much poo poo happening because the plot demanded it happen, like all of the lab stuff and the Doctor deducing that it was a superbacteria. First miss of the season.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I don't really see the similarities between the Monks and the Silence. The Silence have been shaping our society in secret for millennia without being seen, whereas the Monks literally landed on the planet and said "Take us to your leader".

Bicyclops posted:

This sums up a lot of what the problem with that scene I was talking about with that Nardole scene I mentioned, and really any scene where the Doctor was giving exposition to the room full of military people. It feels like they're going for that scene where Nine keeps saying "Narrows it down!" except people are just yelling random guesses and the Doctor is saying "Good, yes! It's exactly that!"
Yeah, it would have worked much better if the Doctor was asking them to remember things they saw in the visions of the future.

As it was it felt so arbitrary. Why bacteria and not grey goo? Or some project to drill into the mantle, or to open a black hole at a particle accelerator, or anything else.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HBomberguy has a long video on his problems with Moffat, focusing on Sherlock but with lengthy digressions on Doctor Who and other things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Yeah, I disagree with bits of it. The original Sherlock Holmes stories generally aren't fair-play mysteries and it seems strange to mark the show down for it given that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

BSam posted:

people have been giving dr who monologues to other dr who actors to read out and they've been great. i want the most 'i'm the loving doctor, ain't you ever heard of me? run you fucks!' that someone can find, and for them to give it to Five to read out. someone please make this happen

Here's one version. Audio quality is bad though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwG-h5l-48

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Chakram posted:

Why is it that anti-racists and anti-sexists are the only ones I ever see who even care what race or sex a character is?
Because you have your head stuck in the sand the rest of the time?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Night Terrors is an episode that apparently exists too?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Alas, I am undone.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Sarah Jane Adventures had more respect for the audience's intelligence and maturity than Torchwood did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

docbeard posted:

The equivalent for me is Planet of the Dead. I do not hate Planet of the Dead, because that would require me to have formed an emotional or even an intellectual reaction to it that would differentiate the experience of watching it from having stared at a blank screen for an hour and a half.

I hate Planet of the Dead.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which Voyager episode out of curiosity, because there is a couple I can think of off the top of my head that are far worse than Threshold.
One of the Irish Village ones?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Doctor / Companion-light episodes are the closest the show gets to true bottle episodes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rome very probably had black emperors.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I like to think of Sherlock as basically being Jonathan Creek filtered through several layers of dumb. Except most of the time Moffat can't even be bothered showing us how Sherlock's magic brain works through the problem.
Jonathan Creek is pretty scrupulous about being a fair-play mystery (although I haven't seen the last few episodes). As dumb as some solutions end up being you generally have enough info to work things out (especially if you marathon through it and get into the right mindset).

Sherlock stops being a mystery show after a while. Even the actually good episode in season 4 isn't a conventional mystery.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Silence work in secret, have actually been around for all of history, and have a specific goal (that isn't conquering the planet), none of which is true for the Monks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thanks to the Lie of the Land it's become impossible to give a poo poo about teased regeneration scenes so the start of the episode fell completely flat.

The rest was loving fantastic though, even if you had been spoilt by the trailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

To be fair to Ainley it's not a bad direction to take the character, and it suited the stories he was in.

Also he would sometimes answer the phone by saying "This is the Master", followed by a cackle.

• Locked thread