Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

I wonder if the Master had anything to do with that expedition to the 500th floor failing? They had the clocks showing that 2 days passed in the control room while 10,000 years passed at their end of the ship, so they should have realized how long an expedition would take. Even a quick look 'round would have had them away from the city for years.

Given what we see in the next episode trailer/teaser thing where we see forests and fields (are those spoiler-worthy?), I think it's a thing where they just assumed the worst about the results of the expedition, and/or someone down in the lower parts of the ship has an ulterior motive to provide pressure to turn everyone into Cybermen.

Kinda a general/subjective question: is the season worth watching? For some reason I didn't get the urge to start watching when the season started, this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Nthing the I-Don't-Want-Missy-To-Go. Michelle Gomez's eyes are wonderful.

n4 posted:

Also I'm surprised no one is talking about how Simm Master got a boner for Missy and asked her if it was ok.

I was gonna say this, but figured it'd be a bit gauche.

Unrelated, a youtube comment of all things made me feel a little bit more :3: about the tragedy of the Doctor not knowing that Missy intended to stand with him: the last Companion-Saying-Doctor memory he had was of Missy. Somewhere in his brain, he knows Missy was going to help.

Oh, and some choice bits from this might amuse some here:

quote:

"I tell you what," he said. "I wrote to Russell [T Davies] when I was doing this. I said, 'I'm going to bring back one of your characters. Do you want the spoiler or not?' And he went, 'Tell me, tell me'.

"I said, 'OK, it's John Simm's Master, and he goes, 'Oh my god, the dialogue, them meeting, brilliant, oh god, they're going to... aren't they?'

"I said, 'It's a children's show. It's not Cucumber. We can't do that.'"

quote:

But no, there was something different in mind from Moffat, with help from Davies.

"We concocted this whole scheme that I'd cliffhanger out of my era of Doctor Who and hand over to Chris [Chibnall] with Missy telling the Master and the Doctor that she's pregnant.

"I decided not to do that. Over to you, Chibs. Sort that one out, mate. Off you go. There we go.

"It was only email lunacy."

Imagine that.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 2, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This has probably been explained (or more likely, ignored) since it was a while ago:

Wasn't there some future-future-future Danny (played by the same actor) that was implied to be a descendant of Danny/Clara? Did that plot line ever be explored or did they just collectively point to a wall and scream HEY LOOK OVER THERE, IGNORE THAT?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

Right before Missy leaves with the Master, her and the Doctor hold hands and look at each other. I took it that something was being passed hand to hand, possibly the dematerialization circuit, but it didn't come up again? I kind of suspect that they were passing "regeneration energy" to another, or something similar. It certainly looked like something.

I think it was a simple hand-holding. She wanted to be 'good', it didn't take, but wanted to express genuine thankfulness and gratefulness that the Doctor gave her the chance.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
We kinda drifted past this topic, but last night I was talking to my dad - an old school Doctor Who fan who didn't like Tennant or Smith very much - and he told me that he basically skipped the last few seasons because he didn't like Capaldi. I didn't ask him to elaborate since that's not his way, but it was really interesting to have a counter-example to the notion that it's only teenage girls craving a Sexy Doctor who didn't like Capaldi.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

What were his reasons?

I understand that reading is a skill that some lack, so I'll quote myself:

MisterBibs posted:

I didn't ask him to elaborate since that's not his way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah sounds like your dad simply prefers what he grew up with.

No doubt, but the point that surprised me was that he stopped watching. He'd watch anything with 9, 10, and 11, even if he'd talk about how he didn't like the Doctors, but actively stopped watching with 12 and cited Capaldi as the reason.

• Locked thread