Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think the main reason I like Missy/the Mistress more than the previous Masters is that she seems more clever about her evil. John Simm's master was largely about killing a lot of people, which is fine as villains go but gets old as it cannot really be escalated. Missy's thing is giving the doctor things that he should never ever have the opportunity to have so that he can make his own mistakes for her amusement. She put him with Clara as an assistant because she knew that they were so perfect together that it would destroy them (as she put it: The Control Freak and the Man who should Never Be Controlled): The Doctor made a few moves that without Clara's advice he would not have made, and Clara "became" a Doctor in her own right, at least in attitude, without realising that there was one key difference - The Doctor regenerates. She doesn't. Hence trying to be noble and self sacrificial with the raven, but not realising that that was the worst thing that she could possibly have done.

There was also, of course, the Army she gave him with the planet of tame Cybermen: She gave him what she thought that he always wanted - the opportunity to go to every point in history and forcibly save EVERYBODY. These are much more interesting Master-plans (:v:) than just killing 1/10ths of the earths population to make the Doctor Sad.

She doesn't need to mess with the Doctors head or kill his pets - she just gives him a present and watches the fireworks.

also the Putting Clara in a Dalek and the Doctor nearly kills her thing was the Doctor's fault for being incurious - he should have noticed something was wrong when the Dalek started shouting "I am a Dalek!" over and over again which is really weird. An actual dalek would have stuck to the usual "Exterminate" and shot at him, not constantly reinforced what it was, unless directly asked.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd like the idea of the inhabitants of a simulation figuring out that they're just a simulation but taking comfort from it somehow. Either "Well at least this lovely year isn't actually really happening" or "Well, we're a drat good one, so good on our programmers. Well done!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I thought the one with Nick Frost was cute. I liked Santa's reaction to Capaldi-Doctor's questions - especially the masterstroke with the sack of toys - "How do you fit hundreds of thousands of toys into that one sack!" "Bigger on the inside :smug:"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

The audio Renaissance of the Daleks also does a thing where the Daleks prevent their own invasion (from The Dalek Invasion of Earth) and begin mass producing little Dalek toys that all the kids are going nuts for, as they prepare to take over all of reality/time itself. This leads to a rather hilarious scene where a mini-Dalek is menacing the TARDIS crew until they realize,"Hey hang on, it's tiny and adorable" and just pick it up and carry it around while it screeches angrily at them to put it down :3:

That reminds me of Flatliners, with the Tiny Tardis: "It's lighter..." "It's ALWAYS lighter, at it's true mass just landing would crack the Earth's crust!". I also loved "Don't you dare..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It would have been hilarious if their plan had simply failed. 4 People would have given their consent. Certainly they had authority, which counts as a type of power. But there are 8 Billion other people who didn't give their consent. Collectively they have no authority - but a mob/army certainly has power. The 4 people who showed true love just feebly saying "We told them not to... they didn't listen."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

We are into a 3 parter now.
I also didn't like it, nothing made sense.
How is the doctor and the scientist lady not effected by the super bacteria?

The Doctor is not from Earth - somehow the bacteria can kill everything earth based but not the Doctor, maybe some dumb biology handwave involving incompatible proteins or something...

As for the scientist, she was wearing a Hazmat the whole time - she was hermetically protected from anything external. Remember her idiot partner took his helmet off exposing himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Didn't that only work because his other companion this season is a robot, literally reassembled, with a human head?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Boo! That was directed at the post above the one now above me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I've noticed is that ideas that start off being really stupid can have fairly good payoffs. Everyone makes fun of the Slitheen for the farting calcium thing and their dumb design, but I thought that the followup when Blon Fel Fotch Passameer-Day Slitheen tried to get elected in Cardiff was pretty good regardless, as she was actually a fun character who developed a good rapport with Eccleston's Doctor.

"And you think Cardiff blowing up wouldn't generate unwanted attention?"
"Oh please, Downing street wouldn't notice if Wales slid into the sea... oh would you listen to me now, I've gone native :v:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZOFZggG4w - Only good vid of the scene I can find.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 30, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

They'll get interrupted by a time-traveled future version of Bill's girlfriend who just says "You know this will just keep happening right?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Penny eventually just goes "gently caress it! Guess this is our lives now!" and joins in the adventure after the 5th time running.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The induction for joining the military now includes this:

"Now team, what happens when the Doctor dies?"

"*entire platoon in bored school class voice*He comes back to life..."

"And what do humans do when we die?"

"We die..."

"Very good, so what do we do in case of any unusual event that we aren't trained for?"

"Leave it to the immortal time wizard..."

"Very good!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did like the whole "most Feared creature in the universe" bit when it was Rory Pond, because him being older than the Doctor by 700 years was a pretty funny idea, especially as he had built a reputation as the Vanguard of the Big Black Box and the "Last Centurion". Him rattling the Cybermen was a pretty fun moment:

*All the ships behind him are blown up*
"Do I have to repeat the question?"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Old school as in "Cloth Bag for a head?" Or not that far?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the Sherlock game "Secret of the Silver Earring" because it ended each chapter with a pop-quiz that asked you to figure out what was important in the evidence and testimony gathered, and what conclusions you could reach from it. Unlike more recent games it didn't let you fail and the quizzes were quite hard but it was an interesting way of getting the player to solve the mystery.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It was a shame Jekyll ended so poorly, I enjoyed most of it. Hyde had some fun lines, like "Have you ever killed anyone? It's great it's like sex but there's a winner!"

I also liked "I don't know why, but I woke up really wanting to hurt you!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I saw the actor in Jekyll who played the best friend who betrays him in a production of La Cage Aux Folle in London shortly after watching Jekyll. That was certainly something as I'd never seen him in any other things. He plays the main character, the Husband of the lead gay couple.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 1, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Haven't we had a couple of variations on that in Who? I remember Idris' "Biting is like kissing but there's a winner." in The Doctor's Wife.

You can just say husband without the quotation marks. Thanks.

Edited sorry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Burkion posted:

Speaking of, vaguely related, if you haven't seen the BBC Adaptation of And Then There Were None, do so.

It's easily the best adaptation of the book, and just really drat good besides. Three hour long parts.

Otherwise the only good adaptation of And Then There Were None was the Russian one from the 80s.

I liked the And Then There Were None PC game as it adapted the twist to the medium.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bill's plan secretly backfired - now all of humanity worships her dead mother.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I could maybe, maybe, see a Missy redemption arc only working if it isn't a redemption - just that she's done every evil scheme imaginable in her varying forms and bodies and after hundreds of years of trolling the Doctor she's just grown bored of it. She can keep killing his little pets forever but eventually she'll run out of interesting or funny ways of doing it. The tears are genuine but it isn't remorse - it's a realisation of wasted eons, squandering all of her regenerations pissing about with the Doctor until she's just run out of ideas, but only getting in the way of what the Doctor wants, never truly living for herself and what she wants... and now she doesn't know what to do with herself. She could kill someone, betray the Doctor again, but she's done that before and it's getting stale. Her existence has become Stale and that is what's causing her real discomfort.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Someone consents in the simulation: "That was for an achievement. Achievements are not consent!" *Whole profile gets erased from the server*

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

No. It was always designed as a three parter. In fact in earlier outlines for the series the alternative reality played a much bigger role and led into the finale.

Also... Missy is great but I'm hoping she gets a moment to show how horrible she is. Every Master has a moment where the mask slips and see the terrible person underneath and Missy hasn't had that yet. So much so that even the Doctor seems to buying into the act. Mainly I hope we get this moment because Michelle would knock it out of the park and she's leaving this year.

She did have that moment in the last series where Clara says something like "Don't try to tell me you've gone good" and she immediately disintegrates a guard to prove a point. "Oh, what a shame! Lovely man, wife at home with a child on the way NO I HAVEN'T TURNED ~GUD~!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

On the statues I could see it being that the ones closest to the Pyramids came first, putting one in range of the transmitter at first, then widening the net as the statues further amplified the signal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I want to see Nardole doing the job he was hired to do - the Doctor tries to do something grandiose and stupid and Nardole just starts beating the poo poo out of him until he agrees to come up with a new plan.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm hoping to see what the Martian Golden Age looks like - have there been any episodes based during it or showing Golden-Age Martians or was that just a revival thing that hasn't been elaborated on?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I did like the line "Look, i'm going to let your Victorian sensibilities slide because... well... you're Victorian..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ice Queen Versus the Torchwood Cyberwoman.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Wanna see Nardole and Missy just chilling on the Tardis one day just swapping stories, Nardole of the stuff that she was in the Vault for and her embarrassing stories of the Doctor's youth. Not friends, just completely neutral toward one another. :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think the best way to sell the "Can Missy be redeemed" thing before the inevitable conclusion, would be to have her as a temp companion for a few episodes before her betrayal - and have her behave. The audience would spend the first two episodes waiting for the shoe to drop, start second-guessing themselves when it doesn't, then be satisfied when it finally does in the third episodes conclusion leading into the primary Missy story of the season.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I do like the idea that it isn't an act insofar as even Missy doesn't seem to know what's going on. I liked that conversation at the end, with "Maybe it's some sort of devious plan.." "Yes, that's better, that sounds like me..." It could be going for a direct parallel with John Simm - John's Master was driven insane by drums, Missy is being driven into a corner by finally hearing the music of the universe.

Spoiled as it only ended a few minutes ago, thinking of the thread readers who DVR'd it for later.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Not going to be able to watch for a few days, is this a standalone ep or is it "part 1" of the finale like Face The Raven?

Standalone, but adds to last episodes metaplot setup. BTW This is precisely why I get ludicrous about using spoiler blocks :v:.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think the idea is that because time moves more slowly on the other side of the portal, everyone there will be fighting for their entire lives. Say that through some weird miracle they live a full lifespan, that's a good 60-years their time fighting (we'll assume that they can find food and other required things, just suspend disbelief and say that the warriors can war for a while) For the Doctor in the portal it was a few seconds - everyone else 2 days had passed. If we simplify the maths and assume that 1 day our time =10 seconds their time, 6 days pass in a minute, and a year passes in 3600 seconds, or less than three days. Expand those three days to a year their time, it becomes 120 years on earth for every year they live in the other realm keeping the monsters at bay. Given 60 years of life they'll last at least a good 7.2 thousand years fighting them off, long enough for something else to be thought up. Better that than the few hundred years t could take for the portal to tear wide open after becoming unstable.

Responding to Mr Beens

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It would be amusing if Missy ended up killing the John Simm Master. Just shooting him in the back in the middle of his Master plan and saying "I can't believe I was ever that much of a weenie! Seriously I'm embarrassed I ever was him...Pathetic man really, feel kinda sorry for me..."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the Doctor basically giving the Picts the Full Malcolm Tucker treatment (although child friendly :P) when they tried to hold him hostage:

"Wait, Listen! Ssshhh! Listen!, do you hear that? That's the sound of my patience shattering into a million pieces!" *immediately takes control*.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

While I like the idea of "If everyone is able to understand each other they realise that they are very similar after all" that the episode was going for, it falls apart when applied to many conflicts, because most warcrimes are perpetrated against the same countries own people, so the language barrier is no excuse for lazy scapegoating. It's a good use of the translation field and for most iron age conflicts it does work though as that seemed to be when everyone was invading everyone else.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Greyhawk posted:

At least it wasn't this bad

Ah yes, the Tale of the Giant Polystyrene Penis... a tale as old as time...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The worlds supply of Hobnobs would be in grave danger in such an event...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The John Simm Master blows up with all his Cybermen, Missy walks over to her piano, that she had put there just for this, and the Doctor pulls out his guitar and together they sing:

Doctor: You are dead, dead, dead!
You are dead, dead dead!

Missy: Your hearts have stopped and your brain is coo~old
Doctor: YOU SO, SO DEEEEEAD!

etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4hnA8jXwo for the uninitiated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, throughout the episode I knew exactly where things were going to go, an it still hit me pretty hard just due to the dramatic irony of the Doctor asking the Cyberman where Bill was.

• Locked thread