Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Just got around to watching the new episode. I liked it.

I don't really have more to say, honestly. It looked great, it made sense, it didn't have any of the Moffat crutches which had really started to bug me. Capaldi, Mackie, and Lucas were great fun to watch as were the extras. The visit to the Daleks didn't even feel particularly forced either - they just go there and then use that setpiece for it's own thing. The Movellan, River, and Susan cameos were nice and understated. That series trailer has me hyped a bit. I hope Bill and Nardole outlast 12 for a series or two.

The episode was quite calmly paced but I found it a bit hard to see stuff in the shots in the dark. Not sure if that's because I was watching it on my parent's old CRT - I'll have to watch again when I go home. Still, at least my ageing Mum liked it and was able to follow along with no problems. :unsmith: Hopefully Moffat doesn't go too caught up in his grand ideas again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

echoplex posted:

I'm pretty sure the full scene was in the first few draughts of the script. The final edit cut a lot of stuff, from memory, which has made it a very lean and well-paced episode.

I'll say. Everything felt like it had enough time to breathe. I hope we get a few more like that this series.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I wonder if there's any particular reason or reasons why this one seemed to be such a clean start? Has it been written about in a magazine or interview anywhere?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Astroman posted:

I hope when the Simm Master comes back we get his theme, that crescendo of shrieking, specifically at :32 in this video. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpdB3MO9nU

I've not seen that since it aired. God, the cuts are so fast in that. It makes it feel so different. I hope that Master theme gets revisited - I think it is very effective. Much more than the Cyberman leitmotif/motif (I don't know what that little ditty actually is in music theory).

Anyway, for real life reasons, I've caught up on episodes 2 to 10 this weekend. It has been generally, very good but episodes 6 - 8 felt like Moffat back on his bullshit (and also RTD's). (I know Moffat didn't write all of that.) All neat concepts tied together worse than a Scout's first knot lesson. Capaldi and Mackie have been electric together at times though. It'll be sad to see them go.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Never really got canon complaints in this show, honestly. Continuity problem? Time travel butterfly effected it somehow. :shrug:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I was thinking about the episode and I wasn't really sure what the rules of the monster were. So it ate people and could put some kind of toxic slime on them and lived in the dark. But it and its kind also eat light and will eat all the light in the universe unless they are stopped but also they really hate having light shined on them. Plus it can be stopped in its home dimension by brute force/Roman period weaponry but in our dimension it can kill almost an enitre Roman legion with little issue? Did it even get a name? I can't remember now.

I mean, the episode was fun and I enjoyed it but I'm realising I had no idea of how the antagonist worked or really was.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah, that all basically works. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to some of the technobabble lines this time. :v:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Caught up today with it. That was really good! The scenes in the hospital with the patients were really good, properly disconcerting. The setting was pulpy-sci-fi enough without having too much technobabble. I knew Simm would be in it but I actually didn't have him pegged as Razor until he met Missy so that was fun. I really hope they'll be able to stick the landing next week.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

According to rumor he still had one more year on his contract.

Eh, where do those rumours even come from though?

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Caught up this morning. I'm not sure what to say. I enjoyed it - it felt quite understated as a finale as it was focused mainly on the characters and their personal struggles in an extreme situation instead of trying for either a huge spectacle or huge intricate puzzle box with poor emotional grounding, which the show has a habit of doing at times. The tone was pretty grim throughout and didn't just become action-schlock.

I liked that it had continuity with elements of the previous stories in this series without hammering it in too hard. I was fine with Bill's quasi-puddle immortality - mainly because I think Cyber-Bill would have been too depressing an end to her arc for a show which is also aimed at family viewing & kids.* (Plus I liked Bill a lot, especially compared to Clara, and would have found it too depressing). The Heather reveal was a bit of a cop-out for the situation but they showed it had some kind of foreshadowing (she could also just go anywhere at any point in her episode & that clip of the tears). I felt like they struck the right balance here of doing fanservicey/decades-long continuity stuff where it added to the plot and enhanced it but didn't take it over and wasn't just cutesy. (Also I liked the brief cameos of the Cybus-era Cybermen. I've always really liked that design. The head is so good!)

Also, everyone acted their socks off in it - it really helped sell the whole thing. I can't imagine a previous revival cast being that good as a whole. I really can't imagine Smith or Tennant doing Capaldi's big speech anywhere near as well. Maybe Eccleston could have but the lines weren't really in 9's character. Mackie was great and really emotive which really helped sell the contrast between how she felt & how she actually would have looked. I like to think 12, if no one else (maybe Nardole too), could see her as she was. Lucas was very good too and the two Masters were great to watch together. Not sure if I was a fan of 'definitely, actually killing the Master for real' this time - just killing Missy would be enough. I hope any future Master TV stories don't just walk back the whole arc though, so I guess, in a sense, the old Master is actually dead then.

Also, the visual direction was really good. Between the cuts in Bill's small realisations of what she had become, Simm-Master's descent into death, and the desolate wasteland after the explosion - there was some great stuff in this one.

Hopefully Christmas will be as good too. :) It'd be nice if 12 managed to learn that Bill was alright in the end. (I think, maybe. The mechanism of becoming a puddle person seems to assume psychological continuity over physical continuity in terms of personal identity but whatever - maybe the puddle took out what was left of Bill's body or something :shrug:. Probably shouldn't think that much about it...)

*Not that that fact excuses lazy or poor writing. I just think it means the show will, and should, generally aim towards optimistic resolutions even if it gets pretty dark at points (i.e. last episode & the Cyber-Bill stuff this week). Plus I just like to watch stuff that's not unendingly bleak every now and then.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

I think it's familiarity breeding contempt. The fact that the showrunner does so many stories per series, plus the number of series they do it for, leads to both some fume-running but also just getting tired of familiar tricks, jokes, and ideas that they draw upon. If there's only a couple of things Moffat does regularly, and he writes a quarter, a third, or even half of of the episodes that series and has done for the past few years, well...

I think overall, I found the second Smith series to be the point where certain tics in Moffat's writing and arc plotting got a bit much for me. I think those were reduced a bit after Capaldi though and I've been pretty happy with the guy since this series began. I think it was his freshest since Series 5. Also the budgeting & scheduling stuff has been pretty annoying, but I'm just some guy. I don't know how to make TV. :shrug:

I think RTD and Moffat ended up having quite similar interesting similarities in their writing styles, tics, and problems at points, especially around the period of the production issues in Moff's run, but I'd have to think about that and rewatch some stories before I could write anything solid about it.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

TinTower posted:

Yeah, my major issues with Moff are that he is poo poo at season finales and even shitter at financing the show.

RTD, for all his faults with dei ex machina, at least gave season finales a decent blockbuster feel. I mean, Nine telling the Daleks to basically do one still gives me chills. The only time Moff really got that style was probably Day of the Doctor and probably Time.

Say what you want about Tinkerbell Jesus, I'd rather see that in my camp Saturday night scifi than The Doctor And Arya Stark Philosophise About Mortality For Fifteen Minutes.

Yeah, agreed. I can't quite pin down how or why but I always had more affection and engagement with Rusty's excesses than Moff's. Maybe I just prefer something in RTD's writing style.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Man, I forgot just how quaint the 2005-era spaceship ship sets and effects in general looked compared to the stuff that's in the latest few series. But it still works perfectly.

docbeard posted:

I wouldn't characterize his run on Doctor Who as bad at all, but I would characterize it as inconsistent, and especially prone (particularly later on) to what felt like first drafts being thrown up on screen without any time taken for polishing or editing. Some extremely low lows, but also some amazing highs.

Basically was RTD then. :v:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

n4 posted:

Did anyone else notice the continuity error where the Doctor was dirty af when Bill leaves but when he regains consciousness he's suddenly clean ?

To be fair, he was carried there by two people made of water. :v:

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I have come to the conclusion that I only thought the first half was good because I was filling in the gaps with Spare Parts.

Huh. I've still not gotten around to listening to Spare Parts and I thought the first half was great. The hospital scenes just are disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

echoplex posted:

Everything goes into storage. Jenna got a few of my TARDIS signs when she left but generally speaking if you leave anything unattended for 30 seconds it gets transported into the Experience and you have to fill out Brazil-level paperwork to get it back.

Even though I know what it is, something about just calling it "the Experience" sounds like the name of one of the show's villain's bases.

• Locked thread