Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I am excited that I will finally be watching new Dr. Who again in just ten days time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

MysticalMachineGun posted:

and possibly terrible guests?

That's kinda redundant with Rove hosting :v:

AndyElusive posted:

Watched Heaven Sent again tonight, what a loving amazing episode.

One of the best ever?

It was amazing. Shame about the follow-up.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
60% off the Lost Stories range and Philip Hinchcliffe Presents volume 1 this weekend with the code Lost60. Of the stories I've listened to from this selection, Farewell, Great Macedon in the First Doctor Box Set is probably the major standout. A really good Marco Polo-style historical.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crusader posted:

holy drat I'm loving the vinyl edition cover of Spare Parts:

Yeah, I've wanted a print of it since they first revealed it. It's great and something I'd love but not "spend over a hundred bucks plus whatever postage to Australia would be for it" great.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
New Adventures of Benny IV: Ruler of the Universe, with more of David Warner's Doctor and Mark Gatiss' Master, is coming in September.

The_Doctor posted:

So on London's South Bank this morning..

That's pretty rad.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
My best friend who only got into the show a few years ago is as Tennant fangirl as they come but she still liked Matt Smith and likes Capaldi a lot as well. Blaming Capaldi's age for the show not doing as well because he's not a dashing young man seems like a bit of a cheap, empty way to have a go at the mythical "tumblr fangirl" bogeywoman who dares to have taken the grognard's show and not appreciated it in exactly the same way as them without actually meaning anything.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I disagree. That got old two episodes in and I'm glad it's an angle they eventually dropped.

I honestly stopped watching for a little while after The Caretaker and only really came back and caught up for the finale that year. It was one thing when he was just being kind of callous about the soldier woman in Into the Dalek losing her brother but it felt like they went too far from "cold and alien but ultimately caring" to straight mean and nasty with how he was in that story and towards Danny.

I like aging rockstar magician series 9 Capaldi much better.

I've been waiting for a Fifth Doctor sale for a while in hopes of getting The Secret History since Vicki and Steven are my favourite companion pairing but looks like i'll be waiting a little longer :sigh: Still, I'm only in the 40s in my main range listening so I've got a long way to go before I really need it.

jivjov posted:

I've never purchased a Main Range at full price. Ever.

Yeah, the only things I buy at full (well, preorder/bundle) price are the boxsets. Everything else you can just kind of fill out as sales pop up. This one's brought me up to 150 main range range releases.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sorry if I gave that impression because I certainly didn't mean to. I was thinking of young viewers more so than "Tumblr fangirls". :shrug:

Oh sorry I meant more in general than you specifically. This thread is a lot better about that stuff than most other places on the internet and yeah, I can see kids being put off by Capaldi's Doctor

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
That was a lot of fun. Bill is great.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dodo is in the vault!? :monocle:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Gallifrey man inadvertently inspires great fire of Rome

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

UK TV doesn't tend to break up seasons like US TV.

Except for when it's run by Steven Moffat and then it does like half the time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Happy Birthday David Tennant. In celebration, as is tradition, give more money to Big Finish.

Joke's on them, I already have all of that that I'd want.

I'm sure they'll have a different excuse to suck more money from me after the new episode on the weekend ._,

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

They ran that sale already; the new companion introduction sale.

Yeah, I bought a few stories from that one. On top of all the Fifth Doctor ones I'd already bought that weekend, and all the Lost Story ones I'd grabbed the weekend before.

What I meant was that last series they had a different sale each weekend themed on each new episode after it aired, right? So last weekend we had the "new companions" one, then this weekend we'll have a "cutesy but evil" robots one or something themed after the emoji bots where they'll sell The Cannibalists or something for a little cheaper.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Facebook Aunt posted:

1 was a DJ. It just never came up in the show.

All he needs is headphones.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sad King Billy posted:

Surely Six would be the frontman. He has the flamboyance and as much as I like him, he does love the sound of his own voice!

He's already put in his audition.

(although...)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"The Thals should have just sat down and talked with Davros! :qq:"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Ditch Rove and Bajo, get Jordan from Axis of Awesome back as a regular. Just her, Tegan, and Adam with whatever weekly guest would be brilliant.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Well, the 9th Doctor Chronicles hit today. Hopefully the stories are good even if Briggs' 9 isn't so much.

I finally went and listened to the fifteen minute preview they had in the last podcast earlier and I definitely came away from it a lot more positively than I did with the actual trailer for the set. The format feels a bit Churchill Years-y, which is something I ultimately enjoyed a decent bit despite initially having zero interest in it, but I feel where that kind of worked because you had a central voice from the show in Ian McNeice's Churchill providing a framing device recounting the stories, whereas this is just Briggs narrating the stories and bunging on some voices for people they couldn't get.

Really have no idea how they managed to cobble together such a terrible trailer for something that doesn't seem anywhere near that goofily bad. I'll wind up getting it eventually, but unless the reviews say the stories are absolute crackers it's really more the kind of thing I can leave until I have a bit of a gap in my listening plan/feel like a change rather than jumping straight on like a River or CDNM set or whatever.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

And honestly, not to be fatalistic, but I wouldn't be surprised if Big Finish gets Tom in as often as they can, just in case of, well, sudden demise.

So you might say the moment is being prepared for.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

Torchwood Series 5: Aliens Among Us coming not to your television screens, but to your headphones! RTD himself actually was involved in the early planning stuff.

If you don't feel like clicking through, the gist is that Big Finish is doing a 12 episode Torchwood series, released as three 4-episode box sets (coming in August, October, and next February). Full cast, with Jack, Gwen, Rhys, and Andy; being joined by new characters Mr Colchester (Paul Clayton), Ng (Alexandria Riley), Tyler (Jonny Green) and Orr (Sam Béart).

This is pretty neat. Big Finish's stuff has really turned me around on Torchwood.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

hanales posted:

Also Matt Smith best doctor fightmeirl.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Tons of great lines this week. Favourite was probably the whole exchange around the fluid link and not/trusting the Doctor. Jamie Mathieson is great.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

It's no Eleven and Handles, but I'll take it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know what might possibly be fun if it happens? If Jenna Coleman makes some recordings for Big Finish, except she's playing different versions of Clara from throughout history and interacting with Davison, Baker, McCoy and McGann.

Time Lord Clara from the start of Name popping up in a Gallifrey set.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

happyhippy posted:

WE ARE THE EXECUTIONERS OF EVERY SENTIENT SPECIES IN THE UNIVERSE. INCLUDING TIME LORDS

Well how else are Time Lords supposed to execute people other than outsourcing it? There's the Oubliette of Eternity, but that's a relic that hasn't been used in years...

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Crusader posted:

I think the guarding may be more that it's the Master, who last had an on-screen execution by the Daleks and still managed to survive.

Maybe the Planet of the Deadly Executioners has anti-CGI snake technology.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm never quite sure if Who is supposed to take place in the present or in some near-future that's just far enough removed that we can pretend world leaders are people we haven't heard of yet.

First one, then the other

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

The Eighth Doctor Time War set is now the first of an annual series of 4!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-big-finish-sunday-digest

Bit extra disappointed that Susan's reunion with the Doctor after the events of the EDAs is relegated to a Short Trip now that we know we're getting more full cast stuff with Eight in the Time War.

Still, I think these should be more successful than the War Doctor stuff purely because these are more at the periphery of the war with the Doctor skirting around the edges just helping people where he can rather than being at the heart of it like the War Doctor stories were so it's less disappointing if they fail to be all high concept time fuckery like those stories mostly did.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Deciding that things obviously don't work out when they have home dates, Bill instead tries to take Penny out for coffee. It turns out they've wandered into Clara and Me's TARDIS.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Elite posted:

"Bill has an imaginary friend version of her mum" was something that was introduced this episode though, in a way that didn't really make sense...

Not really, it was sort of a thing in the first episode.

quote:

BILL: That's not true. You go places, I can tell. My mum always said, 'With some people you can smell the wind in their clothes.'
DOCTOR: Oh. She sounds nice.
BILL: She died when I was a baby.
DOCTOR: Oh.
BILL: Yeah.
DOCTOR: If she died when you were a baby, when did she say that?
BILL: In my head.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I finally listened to Zagreus over the last couple of days and while it was kind of a bloated mess with some interesting underlying ideas my main take away has been my brain filling out quieter moments of the day making up dumb new verses to the rhyme like

Zagreus at the restaurant
Zagreus knows not what he'd want
Zagreus hems and haws a lot
And never ends up eating

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think I preferred Gatiss' "Alien on a submarine" Ice Warriors episode from series 7 but that was a decent bit of fun.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

This one had the bonus of not taking the Ice Warrior out of their suit, that was really bad (I enjoyed the episode otherwise)

Yeah, that was a tad naff.

Semi-related though, I'm glad this episode didn't see "female Ice Warrior" and go "humanise the face and slap some tits on them, really sexy it up" like the revival did with the Silurians.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't think a single black soldier is supposed to be an absolution of historical racism??? like, they went out of the way in Thin Ice to not only say "yeah things are going to be pretty bad for you as a minority here in history, but there are going to be more PoC around than whitewashed history would make you believe," specifically mentioning Jesus who obviously would have been a brown Middle Eastern dude but is typically portrayed as the long haired bishie white guy, and then show Bill suffering some pretty nasty racial abuse so it's a pretty long bow to think the point is "actually things were super rosy back then"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's weird that when Bill has a couple of dates (largely used as the setup for an absurd joke) it's "checklist reminding you she's a lesbo" but when Rose has ongoing relationship drama with Mickey leading to her falling for the Doctor or Clara has an entire season dealing with her relationship with her coworker it isn't any such thing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I always mix 42 up with the Ten/Rose two parter with the big Satan monster.

Jerusalem posted:

This post reminded me of The Idiot's Lantern, which is an episode I will have forgotten again by the time I hit the Submit Reply button.

This one is good to tie into the previous discussion given it didn't really ease off on the historical sexism from the patriarchal father.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Huh? No they stay in the house, but they make the abusive dad leave.

Yeah, the whole thing is that the Doctors turns up and completely shames the dad ("cucks", I think, in the modern parlance?), running him out of the house and leaving the mother in charge. Whether she invites him back or not, the power structure from the start of the episode has obviously been upended.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The good thing about Torchwood existing is that now Big Finish can actually tell good stories with it. Though I'm still going to avoid any that involve Owen. There are some things even they can't rehabilitate.

Fil5000 posted:

You guys are being unfair on Owen. Remember that time he solved a rape? From the past?

Was it a tricky time travel tale where he was also the rapist?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, the point trying to be made was for the son to not completely shut his Dad out of his life. The guy is well and truly out of the house(and rightfully so), the point was to make sure the son at least kept in touch because the guy's still his Dad. Even if he is a complete rear end in a top hat that got everything coming to him.

Which is still different than "the dad continues his iron fisted patriarchal grip over the family" that DocWhat was trying to portray the ending as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Derek Jacobi returning as the War Master, Time War Gallifrey, and the further adventures of the cat nurses and tree people of New Earth????

efb

• Locked thread