Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

navyjack posted:

Goddamn, Bill really IS racist! First blue people, now orange. Sad, really.

:sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It grates on me because I don't want the Doctor to be this big important hot shot who the whole universe knows and fears.

It works best when he's just this gently caress off adventurer who happens to run into problems he has to deal with by the skin of his teeth and grace of wit and courage.

That way he can roll up on unsuspecting morons and clown them. Like that's most of what makes Tomb of the Cybermen so great. No one knows who the Doctor is, and he plays along with the maniacal dickhead's ego mania just long enough to give him enough material to mock and belittle him for.

Or like, all of the Third Doctor's tenure, where he's discounted as just the science adviser by the Generals who are corrupt as hell.

The only people he should be able to get a reaction from are the Daleks or the Time Lords, but mostly the Daleks. When everyone is kissing the Doctor's feet, it's just kind of poo poo.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well, Moffat kind of suicided the Silence into being unusable unless you just want to forget that they're actually confessional priests from the future who specifically only hate the Doctor unless they're some of the good ones who aren't from the forsaken sect.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fair enough - I've read fewer Christie novels than Holmes stories and confess I'm more familiar with them via adaptations.

Speaking of, vaguely related, if you haven't seen the BBC Adaptation of And Then There Were None, do so.

It's easily the best adaptation of the book, and just really drat good besides. Three hour long parts.

Otherwise the only good adaptation of And Then There Were None was the Russian one from the 80s.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really like hearsay and rumors, but if it's true, that's a real shame.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd imagine we would have heard anything about it before now if it was remotely true. The filming is all done, right?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man I remember complaining about this ages ago.

Like literally years ago.

Back when it was just two years of Smith tossed in the garbage and not an entire year of Capaldi as well.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's also the year of the half seasons, where one season was broken up across two years without anything else to go with it.

So that's another season lost.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man this was just a nothing wet fart of an ending.

Made me really appreciate and miss the season 3 finale though!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So hey why did we shoot all those people?

I unno

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Something that actually quite bugged me is that we see one of the Monks shot dead during the little confrontation inside the pyramid. After last week had them demonstrate the ability to pluck planes and missiles out of the air, and to physically replace people in space, seeing one of them get plugged by a bullet and just drop dead felt really off.

I was watching with a goon friend of mine, Seer235, and commented that it's a shame the bad guys aren't immune to bullets anymore. The Brigadier would have been so much happier if he had to deal with these chucklefucks.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's the Master.

She's not having a change of heart.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

glowing-fish posted:

I might be remembering my Classic Who wrong, but The Master being completely evil and insane is mostly only the John Simm Master. The Master that fought with the Third Doctor was more of a swashbuckling prankster, not a total sociopath. So the idea that The Master could be capable of some type of remorse is not totally out of character.

Oh you are misremembering.

The Master is capable of putting on the airs of an affable person, positively charming when he wants to be.

The reality is the Corpse Master. That is who he truly is, laid bare. An ugly, hateful monster, who only cares for his own survival above all else. His own ambition, his own ideals, his own morality.

He is a sociopath in the truest sense, and would no more seriously mourn the Doctor's death than he would the next person he kills at random for no good reason.

The Master is the Master through out the regenerations, man or woman. It's easy to distance The Master as she is now from who she was, both for her gender and for her nickname, but don't let either fool you.

The Master exists for her own self alone. If she thinks playing nice with the Doctor would accomplish this, all the better. Never forget, she, at her genuinely nicest, turned God knows how many into cyborg soldiers for the Doctor to command, and also has tried to talk the Doctor into killing his companion twice over now.

That's JUST her.

She's still the same entity that accidentally killed half of the universe and then held the rest at ransom.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also uh

Why did the Doctor refer to himself and the Master as the Last of the Time Lords?

Did something happen to Galifrey again when we weren't looking?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

No. It was always designed as a three parter. In fact in earlier outlines for the series the alternative reality played a much bigger role and led into the finale.

Also... Missy is great but I'm hoping she gets a moment to show how horrible she is. Every Master has a moment where the mask slips and see the terrible person underneath and Missy hasn't had that yet. So much so that even the Doctor seems to buying into the act. Mainly I hope we get this moment because Michelle would knock it out of the park and she's leaving this year.

The closest she got was killing (one of the) Oswalts but they undid that in a round about way anyways.

Yeah she really needs just a truly monstrous moment. Hopefully she'll get that with Simms.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone who wonders what's going to happen with the Master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLZOFZggG4w

This scene is pretty much it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I'd love to see more of the excuses people come up with after.

"Why do we have a fleet of 500 sinister vans marked 'Memory Police'?"
"Uhhh... didn't you get really drunk and requisition them?"
"Yeah, probably."

"No, but seriously, what is with the pits full of bodies?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh that makes sense.

He knows drat well if he kills the Master that just means the Master would pop up somewhere else, likely wearing a ridiculous beard.

The Master has been killed every way you could possibly kill some one, up to and including being executed by the Daleks and turned to ash. Hell, the Doctor has burned the Master's body to ash *TWICE* now.

The Doctor just wants to keep the Master some where he can keep an eye on her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Unless the labor camps were fake, I don't see how you could undo the monks and then leave them wondering why they were in a labor camp for no reason.

Even if they were, people were literally murdered.

Executions happened.

Those people are dead and no one gives a poo poo. This is the worst reset button

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like the ending of Deep Breath and I am thankful they never answered which happened- because it's irrelevant. The Doctor made him die, one way or the other.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's likely my favorite Gatiss episode.

Very pleased the Ice Warriors weren't just The Bad Guys

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was just expecting some one to be really racist at him once or twice.

Like that's what helped sell the giant fish episode.

We got the main dude being very sexist so I guess it balances out

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also bringing up Martha as a "Why would they address racism in the past" character is perhaps the dumbest thing you could do, both for the already stated reason, and for the entire two parter where she was forced to act as a sweet little maid girl who could not speak up against her betters for both being black and a woman.

Also the only reason it stuck out to me with this episode was just because they already played that card this very season, with the super racist fuckhead from the fish episode.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

In retrospect, Theresa May was a poor choice of showrunner.

Don't put the blame on me, I voted for Lord Buckethead.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, honestly, this doesn't work as is.

The Master arrived at the end of time as a child fresh from regeneration, and naturally grew up into a kindly old man due to being biologically human.

He wasn't ever active in the Time War as Jacobi Master.

But whatever, hopefully they can tell some good stories with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Did he? I was under the impression all of the footage of him as a child was a flashback to the Time Lords changing his history.

Nah, he straight up says that he has no memories of where he came from, but he was found as a naked child by people, with the only thing in his possession being his watch.

So I guess you could write around it, but the intent was pretty clear.

But again, if you can tell a good story by retconning it, go for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

I figured that was a false memory, like the Doctor's John Smith persona.

I always took it at face value- the false memory would be where he came from, but he was clearly around in this time line as Yana for a pretty drat long time. And it would make sense that the Master, attempting to flee from the Time War, would regress to an actual child and hide away.

But it's not a big thing.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

there is no regeneration limit any more, it's a boring plot and has therefore been discarded.

It really shouldn't have been a boring plot, and the only reason it was thrown away the way it was was because Moffat screwed the pooch, after artificially moving the Doctor forward two regenerations just so he could deal with it.

The Doctor at the end of his life is a fantastic story engine that has a lot of potential.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it'd be really stupid to get up in arms about Rome having black people.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

...I mean I shouldn't be worried, Missy provided us the best Cyberman episode of the revival. But I am, I'm scared we'll get too much of a good thing.

Shame there weren't any Cybermen in that episode

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

So Gatiss and Moffat are going to be doing Dracula series for the BBC.

gently caress.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the best looking ones are from Invasion, which were poorly recreated in the 70s and 80s.

They're literally just body bags with mechanical tubes forcing their limbs to move. Really, really good.

The Cybus Men weren't great, with the bellbottoms and all, but the newest versions are just the worst. Too rounded, and they have Iron Man chest lights because gently caress creativity

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Weren't teh MoonBase Cybermen from Mondas as well? Or was that after they migrated

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv22tftlCWU

If we don't get a scene half as just

Amazing

As this

This up coming episode will be a total wash. Just, everyone is so out rages and furious, and the Cyberman could not give less of a poo poo if he wanted. "Age? Age? Age?"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I legit thought that was Simon Peg for a little bit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So one funny thing I noticed, and it might be fixed by the next episode

The Cyberman's cloth head doesn't seem anywhere near as flexible as the old ones were. When Bill was speaking, the mouth barely moved, which I don't think is near as creepy as the mouth opening into this gaping hole while a sing song voice comes out. That's the entire point of the cloth mask, to get that weird inhuman look, like they're always screaming when they talk.

Also, I don't know why they kept harping on Bill's heart. She also lost a good chunk of her ribs, her lungs, her sternum, her esophagus, and a pretty good chunk of her spine.

Like, Bill, sweetie? You're already 90% Cyberman now. They just keep downplaying it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I will say, the Doctor discounting Bill's moral high ground over calling the Master a murderer, by comparing the Master's literal genocide to her eating non sapient life forms that she did not personally kill, might be the dumbest thing in the entire episode.

Doctor, the Master literally has been the direct cause of your death, what, twice now? Three times?

And more over, Doctor, the Master is single handedly responsible for wiping out 1/3rd of the known universe.

Yes, I dare say, Bill might have the loving moral high ground compared to her.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Moonbase really is a pretty good one too. I never got to see the Wheel in Space though

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I've always found it interesting that while One didn't recognise the Daleks on first meeting them, he totally knew about the Mondasians, and seemed pretty terrified at the idea.

I've always chalked that up to him changing time and history. Especially going out of control in the TARDIS like he was.

You can see how he changes time by just watching the show in order. Before he showed up, the Daleks did not know that life existed beyond the stars. After he shows up, they KNOW that there is non Dalek life out there, and it must be EXTERMINATED.

The Cybermen were already space fairing folk before the Doctor met them, so the Time Lords knew about them ahead of time. Daleks? They stuck to their dumb little dead world and did gently caress all, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Never been more deadly than this!

All the Cybermen blow up

• Locked thread