Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure oldest remembers is the standard way it works. The same events may be happening at two or three instances of their timeline, but none of it is retained until the oldest version present experiences it. War, nine, and ten all think they killed the time-lords because they don't remember saving them until Eleven does. And Eleven still thinks he's going to die in Trenzalore because he doesn't remember twelve helping save the day.

Oldest remembers what happens after the fact. The reason why Eleven doesn't remember as well was because the Curator was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cargohills posted:

I see this thrown about but is there anything that proves this to be the case?

He pretty well says it. I think the Doctor makes a comment on it too. The Master was on his last regeneration, was mortally wounded, but through sheer hate and malice refused to die. So he became a living corpse.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

I really loved parts of it, thought others were a bit naff, and overall the whole thing felt like a bit of a mess and didn't really follow up on the promise of the excellent preceding episode.

I did really enjoy the Masters loving each other over though. Bill's struggles to come to terms with what had happened to her were good and I didn't feel like the resolution was too much of a cheat even if it was a bit of a repeat of Clara/Ashildr. The Doctor refusing to regenerate and the First Doctor showing up right at the end I really, really liked, and I absolutely loved the modernized version of the old "The Doctor sees all his companions and then the Master right at the end as he's about to regenerate" bit.

The Christmas Special feels like it is going to be integral to how I feel about this season as a whole. At the moment it feels like a really strong start, sagged in the middle, started to pick up, got REALLY good and then kind of limped to its conclusion. And if nothing else, at least we got the first truly great Cyberman story in decades out of World Enough and Time.

I feel like Moffat has been overly criticized over the last couple of years but after this season I do feel a little relieved that he's finally moving on after the upcoming Xmas Show. I still think he's capable of great stuff but it does feel like he was largely tapped out and just trying to get over the finish line. It's time for a fresh start, though it's a shame Pearl Mackie won't be back and I really, really, really wish Peter Capaldi was going to stay.

Edit: Michelle Gomez too!

Largely I feel the same.

The Christmas Special is going to be the final stamp on this season. It's been a very odd run.

I still don't know if I liked this episode as a whole or not. And I REALLY WISH we got more of the sing song voice, because it's just so much better than that stupid heavy voice and the "UPGRADE" bullshit

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BSam posted:

The best part of this season has been Burkion saying before most episodes "This has the potential to really upset/anger me, prepare for my rage" and then after each episode saying "yeah, that was good"

or words to that effect.

I have been very lukewarm to most of this season.

I also have completely forgotten entire episodes before. Like, I'm very confused about this season so far. The best episode was the Mars one.

The worst episode is kind of up in the air. It's either one of the latter two of the three parters, which were about as dumb as they appeared, or the Wood episode because I ACTUALLY FORGOT that one happened. I had to look it up on wikipedia to remember the loving thing.

I'm not sure if being so bland that you forget it entirely is worse than being awful, but hey.

Moments of this episode, like the last, were good. Generally everything with the Master. Other things are just a lot of naff.

Puddle Girl still makes no sense in how she works or what she is, but whatever. She's Bill's magic girl friend, and at least Bill isn't literally the Doctor now with her own TARDIS, even if this is basically a complete re-do on that ending.

I just haven't been very vocal about what I've thought about the less pleasant episodes because I don't like being That Guy. I could if you'd rather, because some of them have been pretty loving badly written.

The Christmas Special is going to color this season as a whole, because otherwise every good thing has an equal but opposite terrible thing and they're both few and far between.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kant posted:

Wait a minute. If all he did was change a 1 to a 2, assuming he meant number of hearts, then wouldn't the cybermen stop going after the humans?!

He just broadened the definition, he didn't rewrite it.

So any humanoid with one or two hearts are now on the menu.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

feedmegin posted:

Do we know he refused to regenerate? He's dying, not dead, after Missy stabbed him; surely he dies a few hours later and regenerates into Missy.

Er, he's referring to The Last of the Time Lords, when Simm Master was shot and refused to regenerate the first time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wheat Loaf posted:

In a couple of years, everyone will loving hate Chibnall, wish Moffat was back and won't be able to wait for Chibnall to quit.

This is a drat dirty lie.

We started doing that the moment he was announced. Including me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This episode in particular has the potential to have one hell of a sequel down the line.

Imagine some space travelers coming across a derelict ship, 400 miles long. All of its power is just about gone and it looks like it was nearly torn in half escaping a black hole. So they pump some power into it to get the systems up and going and poke their heads in to see what's what.

Inside, they awaken a new Tomb of Cybermen, who've had comparatively millions of years to advance and grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

They could just hire some young fellow to play a doctor to do all the action scenes, just in case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgLgE0Ok3LI&t=52s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBJjLdgXsCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz5mnMdZEwU

To get the full effect, watch these in order, then watch the first one on repeat.

Oh Harry.

• Locked thread